Advertisement
Please wait...

The Socratic Method



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

A secret society meets once every three years at a small diner in West Virginia. To join, you must come to the American Grill diner located in Cricket at 9:30 PM on September the twenty-first. The only uniform is a heavy overcoat and a green tie. Order an “Eggs and bacon platter with coffee.” The waiter will tell you that the breakfast menu is unavailable, reply, “Well, just the coffee then.” You’ll be allowed to stay after closing time for the meet. The meeting itself is a meeting of minds and philosophy regarding immortality. The society is called “The Socratic Method.” They hoist their mugs at the beginning and end of the meeting and say “Death to Socrates.” It’s rumored a little hemlock is added to the first cup, and an antidote to the last.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

106 thoughts on “The Socratic Method”

  1. Sorry but that was just lame. If this is what passes for a creepy story I should just shower u guys with paragraphs jotted on napkins and scraps of paper. ..Every third Saturday at midnite. Out by the old town dump…. and all u need to bring is a long black robe, or a black jacket. Say the magic words scratched into the rock under the old oak tree and become another dark presence around the glow of the old tire fire….
    C’mon, even i can do better off the top of my head!

  2. Hmmmmm. I mean sure not the best but I am pretty sure everyone has indeed seen worse. Mike is right, Baby Blue is pretty messed up. As i have never written a pasta myslef, might as well give it a try.

  3. I don’t think it was that bad. I mean, it’s not on of the best ritual pastas, but it’s certainly interesting–something you might actually try for kicks without much of a chance of dying horribly/being tortured or all eternity/being forced to wander the world forever with no rest/etc.
    And to those who didn’t understand the end, Socrates committed suicide by drinking hemlock.

  4. I suppose if one was living in West Virginia, they might be desperate enough for some decent conversation to try this.

  5. I like this one (clearly I’m part of a minority >_>)

    It’s not scary but it’s believable like Anonymous said a few posts up, short and sweet and inspires curiosity as to what the point of the whole society is.

    Anyway, it’s such a small dish that it really shouldn’t leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth.

  6. worst pasta ive read in a while.

    @YoungMoney: its agreed, i live in wv, (no im not an inbred moronic cannibal). no one is concerned with philosophy xD just beer and trucks. btw budweiser and chevys all the way.

  7. Congratz guys, Socrates is dead, you’ve won.

    In fact he has been dead a while now.

    You’re a bunch of retards.

  8. I drank the hemlock, but then my Mom got scared, and said, “You’re moving in with your auntie and uncle to Bel Air”

  9. I really liked this one. It wasn’t creepy at all, but it sure is realistic. If I were running a secret society, I would use a similar set-up, I think.

    I assumed from it that far from not getting anything out of it, the members of the club have some shit-hot ideas going on. Take a notepad, and win.

  10. BUT WHO WAS TIE?

    it was okay i understand the whole chat about immortality thing and antidote but really? it’s not creepy at all…
    fail.

  11. Excuse me, I happen to be Socrates’s number 1 groupie/fangirl, and I do not approve of this.
    He drank hemlock because he believed the people of Greece were his enemies, and if he did not, he would be an enemy to society.

    Stupid pasta is stupid

  12. i think the real point of this is the “discussing immortality while dying” bit mentioned above….with a twist.

    you see, there IS NO ANTIDOTE FOR HEMLOCK. to survive a dose that would kill you, you would need to be put on an artificial respirator(like an iron lung) for up to 48 hours until the toxin wore off.

    the people who join this society don’t leave unless they actually achieve immortality within two hours.

  13. Ridiculous. I’m not gonna make an ass of myself by asking for breakfast at such a late hour, then poison myself with hemlock, of all things, to chat with a bunch of other people crazy enough to do that shit. This is why we invented the internet. I could chat with looneys about their philosophical persuasions without poisoning myself in a diner.

  14. How did this make it up? I’ll take some of that hemlock coffee now, please. Don’t bother with the antidote.

  15. “‘sup dave”
    “alright, mike?”
    “let’s get this thing started, then?”
    “don’t see why not.”
    “so, immortality then.”
    “immortality.”
    “there’s no such thing, innit?”
    “guess not.”
    “right.”
    “right.”
    “we really should talk about other stuffs. i mean, immortality is fine and all, but this is a pretty shit philosophy society, i must say.”
    “adjourn this meeting and hit a proper pub?”
    “yeah sure. antidote, please.”

  16. what is the significance of having hemlock in your coffee and then drinking an antidote for it?
    why not just not drink it…?

  17. WHO WAS HEMLOCK?

    If at least it included some kind of actual danger of not getting the antidote, it might be less boring. :P

  18. MisterVercetti

    Y’know, I just noticed something: it explicitly states at the beginning that the Socratic Method only meets once every three years, yet the instructions make it sound like it’ll work every damn year.

    Obvious plot hole is obvious.

    @ Cthulhu: Should’ve changed your name to Calculon just that once. It would’ve made it even funnier.

  19. Perhaps if you set it in Kermit (real place). Though hillbilly heroin washed down with Mason jars of ‘shine would be more authentic.

    No boos! I’m a KENTUCKY hillbilly and very proud of that 200+ year distinction (350+ if you add other Appalachian states). :-)

  20. Is the waiter in on it or does he just think there’s a lot of dipshits in ties wanting breakfast at night?

  21. Well, this is definitely the most believable ritual pasta I’ve ever read, if only because it doesn’t really involve the supernatural or anything particularly out of the ordinary (except the hemlock…I just…no. Biology fail on many levels).

    It’s definitely not creepy, though.

  22. I remember reading this a few years ago and I seem to recall it saying “Funny. Because hemlock kills pretty much instantly.”

  23. i think the concept of this pasta is genius- a meeting regarding immortality, during which they pull a Socrates and poison themselves, resulting in a philosophical discussion taking place while each is inching towards death. any story so short yet bursting with underlying possibilities and complexes deserves praise.

  24. Pretty poor considering there’s no real reward. There’s the talk but there are plenty of other think tanks. They’re a secret society but it doesn’t mean they’re anything special.

  25. Also, no one in West Virginia would ever meet to discuss any kind of philosophy other than which cheap beer is the best or which brand of truck is most American.

  26. MisterVercetti

    What exactly was supposed to be creepy about this? The hemlock? Death to Socrates? The unavailability of the breakfast menu?

    Fail pasta is fail.

  27. Wow. At the very least if you’re going to make a ritual pasta ake it have some oomph. This is the most bland pasta I have ever read.

  28. … and what’s the benefit? I’m not consuming hemlock to have a philosophical discussion on immortality.

  29. I don’t think it’s bad per say. Not really creepy though which is the point of the website, but there are other stories which are worse.

    This just makes me interested, Virginia is very close to where I live. ^_^ …Well, three hour drive close, but still close enough.

  30. Feaster of Fear

    Wow…..this pasta must be older than me, lol. It was never very creepy, but it had a certain taste to it. Not muc of a taste, mind you, but I have read worse. I just wish there were some sort of story to it, instead of “This happens, the end”

  31. I read this before. It was bad then. And it makes no sense.

    Stupid/poor/bad/notcreepy/boring/etc ritual is… You get the idea.

  32. of all the ‘rites and rituals to do with a specific location at a specific time’ pastas this is pretty poor to be brutally honest

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top