Advertisement
Please wait...

Psychosis



Estimated reading time — 21 minutes

Sunday

I’m not sure why I’m writing this down on paper and not on my computer. I guess I’ve just noticed some odd things. It’s not that I don’t trust the computer… I just… need to organize my thoughts. I need to get down all the details somewhere objective, somewhere I know that what I write can’t be deleted or… changed… not that that’s happened. It’s just… everything blurs together here, and the fog of memory lends a strange cast to things…

I’m starting to feel cramped in this small apartment. Maybe that’s the problem. I just had to go and choose the cheapest apartment, the only one in the basement. The lack of windows down here makes day and night seem to slip by seamlessly. I haven’t been out in a few days because I’ve been working on this programming project so intensively. I suppose I just wanted to get it done. Hours of sitting and staring at a monitor can make anyone feel strange, I know, but I don’t think that’s it.

I’m not sure when I first started to feel like something was odd. I can’t even define what it is. Maybe I just haven’t talked to anyone in awhile. That’s the first thing that crept up on me. Everyone I normally talk to online while I program has been idle, or they’ve simply not logged on at all. My instant messages go unanswered. The last e-mail I got from anybody was a friend saying he’d talk to me when he got back from the store, and that was yesterday. I’d call with my cell phone, but reception’s terrible down here. Yeah, that’s it. I just need to call someone. I’m going to go outside.

Well, that didn’t work so well. As the tingle of fear fades, I’m feeling a little ridiculous for being scared at all. I looked in the mirror before I went out, but I didn’t shave the two-day stubble I’ve grown. I figured I was just going out for a quick cell phone call. I did change my shirt, though, because it was lunchtime, and I guessed that I’d run into at least one person I knew. That didn’t end up happening. I wish it did.

When I went out, I opened the door to my small apartment slowly. A small feeling of apprehension had somehow already lodged itself in me, for some indefinable reason. I chalked it up to having not spoken to anyone but myself for a day or two. I peered down the dingy grey hallway, made dingier by the fact that it was a basement hallway. On one end, a large metal door led to the building’s furnace room. It was locked, of course. Two dreary soda machines stood by it; I bought a soda from one the first day I moved in, but it had a two year old expiration date. I’m fairly sure nobody knows those machines are even down here, or my cheap landlady just doesn’t care to get them restocked.

I closed my door softly, and walked the other direction, taking care not to make a sound. I have no idea why I chose to do that, but it was fun giving in to the strange impulse not to break the droning hum of the soda machines, at least for the moment. I got to the stairwell, and took the stairs up to the building’s front door. I looked through the heavy door’s small square window, and received quite the shock: it was definitely not lunchtime. City-gloom hung over the dark street outside, and the traffic lights at the intersection in the distance blinked yellow. Dim clouds, purple and black from the glow of the city, hung overhead. Nothing moved, save the few sidewalk trees that shifted in the wind. I remember shivering, though I wasn’t cold. Maybe it was the wind outside. I could vaguely hear it through the heavy metal door, and I knew it was that unique kind of late-night wind, the kind that was constant, cold, and quiet, save for the rhythmic music it made as it passed through countless unseen tree leaves.

I decided not to go outside.

Instead, I lifted my cell phone to the door’s little window, and checked the signal meter. The bars filled up the meter, and I smiled. Time to hear someone else’s voice, I remember thinking, relieved. It was such a strange thing, to be afraid of nothing. I shook my head, laughing at myself silently. I hit speed-dial for my best friend Amy’s number, and held the phone up to my ear. It rang once… but then it stopped. Nothing happened. I listened to silence for a good twenty seconds, then hung up. I frowned, and looked at the signal meter again – still full. I went to dial her number again, but then my phone rang in my hand, startling me. I put it up to my ear.

“Hello?” I asked, immediately fighting down a small shock at hearing the first spoken voice in days, even if it was my own. I had gotten used to the droning hum of the building’s inner workings, my computer, and the soda machines in the hallway. There was no response to my greeting at first, but then, finally, a voice came.

“Hey,” said a clear male voice, obviously of college age, like me. “Who’s this?”

“John,” I replied, confused.

“Oh, sorry, wrong number,” he replied, then hung up.

I lowered the phone slowly and leaned against the thick brick wall of the stairwell. That was strange. I looked at my received calls list, but the number was unfamiliar. Before I could think on it further, the phone rang loudly, shocking me yet again. This time, I looked at the caller before I answered. It was another unfamiliar number. This time, I held the phone up to my ear, but said nothing. I heard nothing but the general background noise of a phone. Then, a familiar voice broke my tension.

“John?” was the single word, in Amy’s voice.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Hey, it’s you,” I replied.

“Who else would it be?” she responded. “Oh, the number. I’m at a party on Seventh Street, and my phone died just as you called me. This is someone else’s phone, obviously.”

“Oh, ok,” I said.

“Where are you?” she asked.

My eyes glanced over the drab white-washed cylinder block walls and the heavy metal door with its small window.

“At my building,” I sighed. “Just feeling cooped up. I didn’t realize it was so late.”

“You should come here,” she said, laughing.

“Nah, I don’t feel like looking for some strange place by myself in the middle of the night,” I said, looking out the window at the silent windy street that secretly scared me just a tiny bit. “I think I’m just going to keep working or go to bed.”

“Nonsense!” she replied. “I can come get you! Your building is close to Seventh Street, right?”

“How drunk are you?” I asked lightheartedly. “You know where I live.”

“Oh, of course,” she said abruptly. “I guess I can’t get there by walking, huh?”

“You could if you wanted to waste half an hour,” I told her.

“Right,” she said. “Ok, have to go, good luck with your work!”

I lowered the phone once more, looking at the numbers flash as the call ended. Then, the droning silence suddenly reasserted itself in my ears. The two strange calls and the eerie street outside just drove home my aloneness in this empty stairwell. Perhaps from having seen too many scary movies, I had the sudden inexplicable idea that something could look in the door’s window and see me, some sort of horrible entity that hovered at the edge of aloneness, just waiting to creep up on unsuspecting people that strayed too far from other human beings. I knew the fear was irrational, but nobody else was around, so… I jumped down the stairs, ran down the hallway into my room, and closed the door as swiftly as I could while still staying silent. Like I said, I feel a little ridiculous for being scared of nothing, and the fear has already faded. Writing this down helps a lot – it makes me realize that nothing is wrong. It filters out half-formed thoughts and fears and leaves only cold, hard facts. It’s late, I got a call from a wrong number, and Amy’s phone died, so she called me back from another number. Nothing strange is happening.

Still, there was something a little off about that conversation. I know it could have just been the alcohol she’d had… or was it even her that seemed off to me? Or was it… yes, that was it! I didn’t realize it until this moment, writing these things down. I knew writing things down would help. She said she was at a party, but I only heard silence in the background! Of course, that doesn’t mean anything in particular, as she could have just gone outside to make the call. No… that couldn’t be it either. I didn’t hear the wind! I need to see if the wind is still blowing.

Monday

I forgot to finish writing last night. I’m not sure what I expected to see when I ran up the stairwell and looked out the heavy metal door’s window. I’m feeling ridiculous. Last night’s fear seems hazy and unreasonable to me now. I can’t wait to go out into the sunlight. I’m going to check my email, shave, shower, and finally get out of here! Wait… I think I heard something.

* * * * * *

It was thunder. That whole sunlight and fresh air thing didn’t happen. I went out into the stairwell and up the stairs, only to find disappointment. The heavy metal door’s little window showed only flowing water, as torrential rain slammed against it. Only a very dim, gloomy light filtered in through the rain, but at least I knew it was daytime, even if it was a grey, sickly, wet day. I tried looking out the window and waiting for lightning to illuminate the gloom, but the rain was too heavy and I couldn’t make out anything more than vague weird shapes moving at odd angles in the waves washing down the window. Disappointed, I turned around, but I didn’t want to go back to my room. Instead, I wandered further up the stairs, past the first floor, and the second. The stairs ended at the third floor, the highest floor in the building. I looked through the glass that ran up the outer wall of the stairwell, but it was that warped, thick kind that scatters the light, not that there was much to see through the rain to begin with.

I opened the stairwell door and wandered down the hallway. The ten or so thick wooden doors, painted blue a long time ago, were all closed. I listened as I walked, but it was the middle of the day, so I wasn’t surprised that I heard nothing but the rain outside. As I stood there in the dim hallway, listening to the rain, I had the strange fleeting impression that the doors were standing like silent granite monoliths erected by some ancient forgotten civilization for some unfathomable guardian purpose. Lightning flashed, and I could have sworn that, for just a moment, the old grainy blue wood looked just like rough stone. I laughed at myself for letting my imagination get the best of me, but then it occurred to me that the dim gloom and lightning must mean there was a window somewhere in the hallway. A vague memory surfaced, and I suddenly recalled that the third floor had an alcove and an inset window halfway down the floor’s hallway.

Excited to look out into the rain and possibly see another human being, I quickly walked over to the alcove, finding the large thin glass window. Rain washed down it, as with the front door’s window, but I could open this one. I reached a hand out to slide it open, but hesitated. I had the strangest feeling that if I opened that window, I would see something absolutely horrifying on the other side. Everything’s been so odd lately… so I came up with a plan, and I came back here to get what I needed. I don’t seriously think anything will come of it, but I’m bored, it’s raining, and I’m going stir crazy. I came back to get my webcam. The cord isn’t long enough to reach the third floor by any means, so instead I’m going to hide it between the two soda machines in the dark end of my basement hallway, run the wire along the wall and under my door, and put black duct tape over the wire to blend it in with the black plastic strip that runs along the base of the hallway’s walls. I know this is silly, but I don’t have anything better to do…

Well, nothing happened. I propped open the hallway-to-stairwell door, steeled myself, then flung the heavy front door wide open and ran like hell down the stairs to my room and slammed the door. I watched the webcam on my computer intently, seeing the hallway outside my door and most of the stairwell. I’m watching it right now, and I don’t see anything interesting. I just wish the camera’s position was different, so that I could see out the front door. Hey! Somebody’s online!

* * * * * *

I got out an older, less functional webcam that I had in my closet to video chat with my friend online. I couldn’t really explain to him why I wanted to video chat, but it felt good to see another person’s face. He couldn’t talk very long, and we didn’t talk about anything meaningful, but I feel much better. My strange fear has almost passed. I would feel completely better, but there was something… odd… about our conversation. I know that I’ve said that everything has seemed odd, but… still, he was very vague in his responses. I can’t recall one specific thing that he said… no particular name, or place, or event… but he did ask for my email address to keep in touch. Wait, I just got an email.

I’m about to go out. I just got an email from Amy that asked me to meet her for dinner at ‘the place we usually go to.’ I do love pizza, and I’ve just been eating random food from my poorly stocked fridge for days, so I can’t wait. Again, I feel ridiculous about the odd couple of days I’ve been having. I should destroy this journal when I get back. Oh, another email.

* * * * * *

Oh my god. I almost left the email and opened the door. I almost opened the door. I almost opened the door, but I read the email first! It was from a friend I hadn’t heard from in a long time, and it was sent to a huge number of emails that must have been every person he had saved in his address list. It had no subject, and it said, simply:

seen with your own eyes don’t trust them they

What the hell is that supposed to mean? The words shock me, and I keep going over and over them. Is it a desperate email sent just as… something happened? The words are obviously cut off without finishing! On any other day I would have dismissed this as spam from a computer virus or something, but the words… seen with your own eyes! I can’t help but read over this journal and think back on the last few days and realize that I have not seen another person with my own eyes or talked to another person face to face. The webcam conversation with my friend was so strange, so vague, so… eerie, now that I think about it. Was it eerie? Or is the fear clouding my memory? My mind toys with the progression of events I’ve written here, pointing out that I have not been presented with one single fact that I did not specifically give out unsuspectingly. The random ‘wrong number’ that got my name and the subsequent strange return call from Amy, the friend that asked for my email address… I messaged him first when I saw him online! And then I got my first email a few minutes after that conversation! Oh my god! That phone call with Amy! I said over the phone – I said that I was within half an hour’s walk of Seventh Street! They know I’m near there! What if they’re trying to find me?! Where is everyone else? Why haven’t I seen or heard anyone else in days?

No, no, this is crazy. This is absolutely crazy. I need to calm down. This madness needs to end.

* * * * * *

Advertisements

I don’t know what to think. I ran about my apartment furiously, holding my cell phone up to every corner to see if it got a signal through the heavy walls. Finally, in the tiny bathroom, near one ceiling corner, I got a single bar. Holding my phone there, I sent a text message to every number in my list. Not wanting to betray anything about my unfounded fears, I simply sent:

You seen anyone face to face lately?

At that point, I just wanted any reply back. I didn’t care what the reply was, or if I embarrassed myself. I tried to call someone a few times, but I couldn’t get my head up high enough, and if I brought my cell phone down even an inch, it lost signal. Then I remembered the computer, and rushed over to it, instant messaging everyone online. Most were idle or away from their computer. Nobody responded. My messages grew more frantic, and I started telling people where I was and to stop by in person for a host of barely passable reasons. I didn’t care about anything by that point. I just needed to see another person!

I also tore apart my apartment looking for something that I might have missed; some way to contact another human being without opening the door. I know it’s crazy, I know it’s unfounded, but what if? WHAT IF? I just need to be sure! I taped the phone to the ceiling in case

Tuesday

THE PHONE RANG! Exhausted from last night’s rampage, I must have fallen asleep. I woke up to the phone ringing, and ran into the bathroom, stood on the toilet, and flipped open the phone taped to the ceiling. It was Amy, and I feel so much better. She was really worried about me, and apparently had been trying to contact me since the last time I talked to her. She’s coming over now, and, yes, she knows where I am without me telling her. I feel so embarrassed. I am definitely throwing this journal away before anyone sees it. I don’t even know why I’m writing in it now. Maybe it’s just because it’s the only communication I’ve had at all since… god knows when. I look like hell, too. I looked in the mirror before I came back in here. My eyes are sunken, my stubble is thicker, and I just look generally unhealthy.

My apartment is trashed, but I’m not going to clean it up. I think I need someone else to see what I’ve been through. These past few days have NOT been normal. I am not one to imagine things. I know I have been the victim of extreme probability. I probably missed seeing another person a dozen times. I just happened to go out when it was late at night, or the middle of the day when everyone was gone. Everything’s perfectly fine, I know this now. Plus, I found something in the closet last night that has helped me tremendously: a television! I set it up just before I wrote this, and it’s on in the background. Television has always been an escape for me, and it reminds me that there’s a world beyond these dingy brick walls.

I’m glad Amy’s the only one that responded to me after last night’s frantic pestering of everyone I could contact. She’s been my best friend for years. She doesn’t know it, but I count the day that I met her among one of the few moments of true happiness in my life. I remember that warm summer day fondly. It seems a different reality from this dark, rainy, lonely place. I feel like I spent days sitting in that playground, much too old to play, just talking with her and hanging around doing nothing at all. I still feel like I can go back to that moment sometimes, and it reminds me that this damn place is not all that there is… finally, a knock on the door!

* * * * * *

I thought it was odd that I couldn’t see her through the camera I hid between the two soda machines. I figured that it was bad positioning, like when I couldn’t see out the front door. I should have known. I should have known! After the knock, I yelled through the door jokingly that I had a camera between the soda machines, because I was embarrassed myself that I had taken this paranoia so far. After I did that, I saw her image walk over to the camera and look down at it. She smiled and waved.

“Hey!” she said to the camera brightly, giving it a wry look.

“It’s weird, I know,” I said into the mic attached to my computer. “I’ve had a weird few days.”

“Must have,” she replied. “Open the door, John.”

I hesitated. How could I be sure?

“Hey, humor me a second here,” I told her through the mic. “Tell me one thing about us. Just prove to me you’re you.”

She gave the camera a weird look.

“Um, alright,” she said slowly, thinking. “We met randomly at a playground when we were both way too old to be there?”

I sighed deeply as reality returned and fear faded. God, I’d been so ridiculous. Of course it was Amy! That day wasn’t anywhere in the world except in my memory. I’d never even mentioned it to anyone, not out of embarrassment, but out of a strange secret nostalgia and a longing for those days to return. If there was some unknown force at work trying to trick me, as I feared, there was no way they could know about that day.

“Haha, alright, I’ll explain everything,” I told her. “Be right there.”

I ran to my small bathroom and fixed my hair as best I could. I looked like hell, but she would understand. Snickering at my own unbelievable behavior and the mess I’d made of the place, I walked to the door. I put my hand on the doorknob and gave the mess one last look. So ridiculous, I thought. My eyes traced over the half-eaten food lying on the ground, the overflowing trash bin, and the bed I’d tipped to the side looking for… God knows what. I almost turned to the door and opened it, but my eyes fell on one last thing: the old webcam, the one I used for that eerily vacant chat with my friend.

Its silent black sphere lay haphazardly tossed to the side, its lens pointed at the table where this journal lay. An overwhelming terror took me as I realized that if something could see through that camera, it would have seen what I just wrote about that day. I asked her for any one thing about us, and she chose the only thing in the world that I thought they or it did not know… but IT DID! IT DID KNOW! IT COULD HAVE BEEN WATCHING ME THE WHOLE TIME!

I didn’t open the door. I screamed. I screamed in uncontrollable terror. I stomped on the old webcam on the floor. The door shook, and the doorknob tried to turn, but I didn’t hear Amy’s voice through the door. Was the basement door, made to keep out drafts, too thick? Or was Amy not outside? What could have been trying to get in, if not her? What the hell is out there?! I saw her on my computer through the camera outside, I heard her on the speakers through the camera outside, but was it real?! How can I know?! She’s gone now – I screamed, and shouted for help! I piled up everything in my apartment against the front door –

Friday

At least I think that it’s Friday. I broke everything electronic. I smashed my computer to pieces. Every single thing on there could have been accessed by network access, or worse, altered. I’m a programmer, I know. Every little piece of information I gave out since this started – my name, my email, my location – none of it came back from outside until I gave it out. I’ve been going over and over what I wrote. I’ve been pacing back and forth, alternating between stark terror and overpowering disbelief. Sometimes I’m absolutely certain some phantom entity is dead set on the simple goal of getting me to go outside. Back to the beginning, with the phone call from Amy, she was effectively asking me to open the door and go outside.

Advertisements

I keep running through it in my head. One point of view says I’ve acted like a madman, and all of this is the extreme convergence of probability – never going outside at the right times by pure luck, never seeing another person by pure chance, getting a random nonsense email from some computer virus at just the right time. The other point of view says that extreme convergence of probability is the reason that whatever’s out there hasn’t gotten me already. I keep thinking: I never opened the window on the third floor. I never opened the front door, until that incredibly stupid stunt with the hidden camera after which I ran straight to my room and slammed the door. I haven’t opened my own solid door since I flung open the front door of the building. Whatever’s out there – if anything’s out there – never made an ‘appearance’ in the building before I opened the front door. Maybe the reason it wasn’t in the building already was that it was elsewhere getting everyone else… and then it waited, until I betrayed my existence by trying to call Amy… a call which didn’t work, until it called me and asked me my name…

Terror literally overwhelms me every time I try to fit the pieces of this nightmare together. That email – short, cut off – was it from someone trying to get word out? Some friendly voice desperately trying to warn me before it came? Seen with my own eyes, don’t trust them – exactly what I’ve been so suspicious of. It could have masterful control of all things electronic, practicing its insidious deception to trick me into coming outside. Why can’t it get in? It knocked on the door – it must have some solid presence… the door… the image of those doors in the upper hallway as guardian monoliths flashes back in my mind every time I trace this path of thoughts. If there is some phantom entity trying to get me to go outside, maybe it can’t get through doors. I keep thinking back over all the books I’ve read or movies I’ve seen, trying to generate some explanation for this. Doors have always been such intense foci of human imagination, always seen as wards or portals of special importance. Or perhaps the door is just too thick? I know that I couldn’t bash through any of the doors in this building, let alone the heavy basement ones. Aside from that, the real question is, why does it even want me? If it just wanted to kill me, it could do it any number of ways, including just waiting until I starve to death. What if it doesn’t want to kill me? What if it has some far more horrific fate in store for me? God, what can I do to escape this nightmare?!

A knock on the door…

* * * * * *

I told the people on the other side of the door I need a minute to think and I’ll come out. I’m really just writing this down so I can figure out what to do. At least this time I heard their voices. My paranoia – and yes, I recognize I’m being paranoid – has me thinking of all sorts of ways that their voices could be faked electronically. There could be nothing but speakers outside, simulating human voices. Did it really take them three days to come talk to me? Amy is supposedly out there, along with two policemen and a psychiatrist. Maybe it took them three days to think of what to say to me – the psychiatrist’s claim could be pretty convincing, if I decided to think this has all been a crazy misunderstanding, and not some entity trying to trick me into opening the door.

The psychiatrist had an older voice, authoritarian but still caring. I liked it. I’m desperate just to see someone with my own eyes! He said I have something called cyber-psychosis, and I’m just one of a nationwide epidemic of thousands of people having breakdowns triggered by a suggestive email that ‘got through somehow.’ I swear he said ‘got through somehow.’ I think he means spread throughout the country inexplicably, but I’m incredibly suspicious that the entity slipped up and revealed something. He said I am part of a wave of ‘emergent behavior’, that a lot of other people are having the same problem with the same fears, even though we’ve never communicated.

That neatly explains the strange email about eyes that I got. I didn’t get the original triggering email. I got a descendant of it – my friend could have broken down too, and tried to warn everyone he knew against his paranoid fears. That’s how the problem spreads, the psychiatrist claims. I could have spread it, too, with my texts and instant messages online to everybody I know. One of those people might be melting down right now, after being triggered by something I sent them, something they might interpret any way that they want, something like a text saying seen anyone face to face lately? The psychiatrist told me that he didn’t want to ‘lose another one’, that people like me are intelligent, and that’s our downfall. We draw connections so well that we draw them even when they shouldn’t be there. He said it’s easy to get caught up in paranoia in our fast paced world, a constantly changing place where more and more of our interaction is simulated…

I have to give him one thing. It’s a great explanation. It neatly explains everything. It perfectly explains everything, in fact. I have every reason to shake off this nightmarish fear that some thing or consciousness or being out there wants me to open the door so it can capture me for some horrible fate worse than death. It would be foolish, after hearing that explanation, to stay in here until I starve to death just to spite the entity that might have got everyone else. It would be foolish to think that, after hearing that explanation, I might be one of the last people left alive on an empty world, hiding in my secure basement room, spiting some unthinkable deceptive entity just by refusing to be captured. It’s a perfect explanation for every single strange thing I’ve seen or heard, and I have every reason in the world to let all of my fears go, and open the door.

That’s exactly why I’m not going to.

How can I be sure?! How can I know what’s real and what’s deception? All of these damn things with their wires and their signals that originate from some unseen origin! They’re not real, I can’t be sure! Signals through a camera, faked video, deceptive phone calls, emails! Even the television, lying broken on the floor – how can I possibly know it’s real? It’s just signals, waves, light… the door! It’s bashing on the door! It’s trying to get in! What insane mechanical contrivance could it be using to simulate the sound of men attacking the heavy wood so well?! At least I’ll finally see it with my own eyes… there’s nothing left in here for it to deceive me with, I’ve ripped apart everything else! It can’t deceive my eyes, can it? Seen with your own eyes don’t trust them they… wait… was that desperate message telling me to trust my eyes, or warning me about my eyes too?! Oh my god, what’s the difference between a camera and my eyes? They both turn light into electrical signals – they’re the same! I can’t be deceived! I have to be sure! I have to be sure!

Date Unknown

I calmly asked for paper and a pen, day in and day out, until it finally gave them to me. Not that it matters. What am I going to do? Poke my eyes out? The bandages feel like part of me now. The pain is gone. I figure this will be one of my last chances to write legibly, as, without my sight to correct mistakes, my hands will slowly forget the motions involved. This is a sort of self-indulgence, this writing… it’s a relic of another time, because I’m certain everyone left in the world is dead… or something far worse.

I sit against the padded wall day in and day out. The entity brings me food and water. It masks itself as a kind nurse, as an unsympathetic doctor. I think it knows that my hearing has sharpened considerably now that I live in darkness. It fakes conversations in the hallways, on the off chance that I might overhear. One of the nurses talks about having a baby soon. One of the doctors lost his wife in a car accident. None of it matters, none of it is real. None of it gets to me, not like she does.

That’s the worst part, the part I almost can’t handle. The thing comes to me, masquerading as Amy. Its recreation is perfect. It sounds exactly like Amy, feels exactly like her. It even produces a reasonable facsimile of tears that it makes me feel on its lifelike cheeks. When it first dragged me here, it told me all the things I wanted to hear. It told me that she loved me, that she had always loved me, that it didn’t understand why I did this, that we could still have a life together, if only I would stop insisting that I was being deceived. It wanted me to believe… no, it needed me to believe that she was real.

I almost fell for it. I really did. I doubted myself for the longest time. In the end, though, it was all too perfect, too flawless, and too real. The false Amy used to come every day, and then every week, and finally stopped coming altogether… but I don’t think the entity will give up. I think the waiting game is just another one of its gambits. I will resist it for the rest of my life, if I have to. I don’t know what happened to the rest of the world, but I do know that this thing needs me to fall for its deceptions. If it needs that, then maybe, just maybe, I am a thorn in its agenda. Maybe Amy is still alive out there somewhere, kept alive only by my will to resist the deceiver. I hold on to that hope, rocking back and forth in my cell to pass the time. I will never give in. I will never break. I am… a hero!

* * * * * *

The doctor read the paper the patient had scribbled on. It was barely readable, written in the shaky script of one who could not see. He wanted to smile at the man’s steadfast resolve, a reminder of the human will to survive, but he knew that the patient was completely delusional.

After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago.

The doctor wanted to smile. He wanted to whisper words of encouragement to the delusional man. He wanted to scream, but the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes made him do otherwise. His body walked into the cell like a puppet, and told the patient, once more, that he was wrong, and that there was nobody trying to deceive him.


Credit: Matt Dymerski (Official WebsiteAmazonFacebookTwitterReddit)

Check out Matt Dymerski’s collection of short scary stories, Psychosis: Tales of Horror, now available on Amazon.com.

More classic Creepypasta stories can be found here:
Jeff The Killer
Slenderman
The Russian Sleep Experiment

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

1,393 thoughts on “Psychosis”

  1. christ, you did some of the best gaslighting i’ve ever read, including published authors. and the ending, sweeping it all away like that, what an inspired move! Thrusting the reader from the depth of one despair to another, genius!

  2. Reading the comments one can see that you’ve done a really good job. Bravo on your psychosis research, though I wish the kids won’t take this so very seriously. Our identity is always more than what we look like what we sound like or what our email or phone number is. It doesn’t just get stolen.

  3. Interesting display of the finest line between sanity & insanity. Or better yet, suggestive of that figment of imagination we believe to be true ourselves.

  4. PossessedDahlia

    This was the best pasta I have read, with Charles Bonnet Syndrome coming in close second. Very nice. I can see how this man lost his shit and things got out of control. It sucks to be super smart and know what could be happening. Sad for Amy though, the man she loved went wackadoo.
    I also loved many of the paranoid comments. I have been keeping colored electrical tape over my camera for years now, and try not to give out real information to people.
    I think it is the aliens we need to worry about though…not actual humans.

    Bring on some more like this!

  5. Hi Matt,

    My name is Declan Nicholls and I’m a voice-actor based in Brisbane, Australia. I absolutely love this story and would like to know if I could have your permission to narrate it as a short audiobook. Please let me know as soon as you can by either replying to this comment or emailing me at [email protected]. Hope to hear from you soon!

    – Declan

  6. Fantastic story, at the end I honestly thought he was going insane. Very tasty pasta I hope for more stories like this.

  7. Wow just wow. I need to know what happened, please make a sequel. This is the best pasta in the world!!

  8. I liked this ALOT, thogh I would have liked for him to just be crazy, I think it was a great pasta any way.

  9. This was fucking amazing. It really made me think about technology, and how it cannot be trusted. Alt͘h͢oug͘h, th̴i͟s̛ man is̢ ̴clea̵r͜͞lý ͡d̷͠͡e̕l̛͟͝us͠i̕͜͟o҉̡na̴̕l̀. W̰̠͓h͍̳̬̙́y̮̲ ̱w̝̝̘̪͚͎͢o͍̜̹u̷͉̪͖l̯͔̲̩͡d҉̺̯ ̞a̘̝n̶̟͉̦̼y͚̩̩͓t҉̞h͠iͅng̖͔̭͍̦ ḅ̩e͇̼̙̟̻̝̮̜͜͞ ̳̥̮̤̠̬̝̼t͎͇ŕ̵̵͔̮y̛̪̻̭̩̱̞i̙̮͚n̴҉̖͓͖͍̫̰͉g̡͙̞̱̦̙̯̼̖͘ ̰̥̮͎̳͈̤͘͜͠ͅt̵̗̰̰̯̺̯̲́o̧̫̼͍̙ ̫̭̺͔̣́̕͟ḍ̝͚̠̹͈̜̰͝ę̫̹́c̛͔̹̣͚ę̡̩͚̫̺͉̱ͅi̡̜̣̮̮͓͍v̴͓̞͙̰e̶̛͇̤̖͓ h̛̖͑̇̈́͑͌́̓̐́̚͞i̬̠̼̙̯̱̥͐́͌ͧ̈̏͐͜͞m̧̺ͦͫ̆̔̑ͣ͠?̛͚͇̣̤͈̙͇̫͆̆̑ͥ͆͐̚

    Iͫ̄̄̓̎̾̐ͤ̾ͧ́̚҉̴̙͈͙̤͍̬̀͘͜ẗ̷̛̠͔̟̘́̆͆ͬͦ̎̔̎ͤͣ̋ͨ̚̕͜ ̸̡͉̻͈̼̦̗̩͙̺̤̲̅̊̌̋ͭ̄́̔̅̇ͯͩ̂̋̓ẉ̴̸̵̜̮͈ͫͮͤ̉̾ͬͣ̃̎ͤ̆̆͂̍ǫͮͭ͛͌͑ͫ̌͢͏͙͚͖͇̠̩̠̭̠̻ͅṅ̡̨͌̃̑́҉͙̗͕͓̻͙̞̞̺̟̙̞’̷͈̼̩̣͖̰̗̟̩ͦ̊̾͗̈́̒ͬ̃ͨ̾̈͜ͅt̤̙̲̟̰̼̪̜̩̩̭͉͊̔͌͆͗̈́̅ͬͥ͋̈ͬ̎̀͜͡ ̴̵̨̭̗̱̮̤͓͚̤̟̙͓̟̻̭̠̗͗ͦͯ̂̂̔ͤͮ̌́ţ̷̅̈́͑̉͑͗͛҉͔̝͓̭̬̭̥̠̦̥̭̰͘͢ä͖̺͙͍͍̼̯̭̝̲͓͎̖̓͗͌͞k̵̶͚͙̣̞͐̈́̏̇̒͌̔͐̄͋̔́ȩ͈̰̜̞̹̬̼̠̫̹͓͇̞͗͆̌̏̌ͦͨͧ͡͡ͅͅͅ ̸̣̝̪͇ͪ̂̆̎͊̊͆̅͊̓ͥͬ́́͂͛ͨ͘͝l̶̶̡̤͖̖̹͎͍̺͇̪͓͚̄̋͗ͭ̌̔̊ͨ́ͯ͌̾͐͘͜ö̡̺̖͈̳̣͖̟͓͓͓̲̹̙̭͉ͩ͌̔ͪ̎̎̊͛̐̾ͬ̚̕͝ņ͓̳̻̗̹̫̹͙͔̫̭̤͋̄͆͒ͥ̏̓̿ͩ̉̄͋ͭ̅ͭ͜͠g̴̶̲͇̘͍̙̓ͫ̋̽̈̿̆̌͆̚.̶̷̴̥͚̩͕̣͓̪̺̪̘̯̠̩͔͎̖̔ͨ̐́̐̓̒ͥ̂̐̓͜͠

  10. Not bad. I had a little trouble getting immersed in the story, but it was quite interesting and kept you guessing until the end.

  11. This is the newest comment, i doubt anyone will see this. I did not have the time to make a account… When i read this this seemed so familiar, i don’t know from when, but know it somehow…

  12. This is an Awesome story!All thought i have only one thing to tell you.Sometimes you were telling the story like it happened now,sometimes like it happened before.But besides that,good job!

  13. Interesting. Ending really saved it. Was afraid there was nothing. Personally I’d have ended it differently though. I’d had let John get to almost poking out his eyes and then made up something to convince him to open the door. When he opens it he immediately gets swallowed by a dark void of nothingness. But that’s perhaps better suited for a short film adaptation. Just fascinated by the possibility that he’s been imagining everything as a kind of escape from the fact that everything outside is gone Neverending Story style. Him opening the door is him giving up in a sense. Sanity wins he loses instead of insanity wins he kinda wins?

  14. This was super good but my v question us was he imagining being in the basement the whole time or did he go crazy and rip out his eyes? Still

  15. Definitely my favourite pasta. I have been searching for this story for years after it was posted onto a youtube comment (he was french and didnt respond to my asking what the story was and if he wrote it). Years later, after a fruitless search, I remember creepypasta, and it was the first pasta I clicked on! It was great to read it again. Well done.

  16. Alira Kirkenson

    This was terrifying. What if it did happen, tho? How would you know? Hey, what if I was one of many aliens starting this now? Would you know? I could go on and on but even if I flat out told you, you wouldn’t believe me. That would work well for me and the aliens, now wouldn’t it.

    P.S. Of course, I’m not. It’s just, anyone could be. So scary. Loved it!

    P.P.S I am one of many aliens?

  17. Maximilian Guarrera

    This is one of the creepiest creepypastas I have ever read! I also love the ending, which, actually was very satisfying.

  18. Kristopher Holmberg

    I’m not sure whether I like there being an full answer as to whether or not he’s crazy. Or rather, whether or not he’s -right-.

    But, it might be necessary, because the author might care a whole lot about people walking away knowing something was really happening, and I figure it would be 50/50 at best without that last little bit. That said, “a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago” is a pretty great line. So, yeah, it passes for that line alone.

    Pretty cool story.

  19. Incognito_bandito

    Damn..the guy in this story was really pissing me off. Some good herb and some ass would of done the trick;)

    1. Id like to help u but i just read squidwards nightmare so honestly… I didnt read it either ? im not happy for not reading, its rated the 4th best in the ranking, and i would love to but its just too long! Well if u feel like answering this guy, please do, i wanna know too ?

  20. Wow hehe didnt see this coming but everyone knows not only can u hide from ur webcam ur phone is watching u through the cameras lens when u agree to apps such as snap chat or facebook they are allowed to take pictures of u without ur permission and read ur text messages too so were always being watched o.o

  21. Wow, amazing story. It starts a bit slow, but gets slowly better and better. The ending is so good, it’s on some next shit.

  22. I thought it was a great story, until the very end. Instead of revealing that the narrater was right, I would have left it open-ended, and let the reader imagine their own ending. The unknown is infinitely more terrifying than some sinister ghoul.

    1. Not sure i agree, i feel more creeped out by an ending where the character thinks hes insane but its actually a lie people tell them to hide the truth, way more than i like an open ending, i like a story with a conclusion, and a good one, a story with no ending so we can “imagine” one? Id rather have no story

  23. This character is like..my idol. Ive had paranoia bad like this and i gave in to the deception. Im okay with that now i suppose lol but he stayed true!

  24. this is by far one of my favorites to be completely honest with you,
    i even went to check my email after reading the part about the email that was sent.
    this captivated me and i just couldnt stop reading.

  25. Anyone know about capgras delusion? This stuff is real and kills people from the inside. I appreciate the story writer’s imagination if he didn’t know about this psychological syndrome already.

  26. Honestly, this one didn’t creep me out. I have no idea why- it was well written, very intelligently done, and just overall a great Creepypasta… Maybe it’s just because I’m crazy :P

    1. What if i tell you this thing actually happens to people? Will you be creeped out then? Ccheck out the internet for capgras delusion.

  27. Mohd Ariff Mohd Rasidi

    This is such a masterpiece. I genuinely can’t get over how brilliant this pasta is, even after half a decade since it was first submitted, it still is the best creepypasta out there in my honest opinion. Definitely a lifetime favourite. The only pasta I ever rated 10/10.

  28. I read this before, a long time ago, and today i started again. I wish I would have done this sooner. I love this.

  29. What ok I really dont understand ,Is it a delusion or is it just his paranoia that kept him from living his life
    ?

  30. If you had omitted the last paragraph it would have been perfect! I believe that when you make the “great revelation” of the story, you must stop. Nevertheless, great story!

  31. Meh, while this was a very entertaining read, I guess I just don’t get as spooked by this stuff as much as other people do, very good story tho

  32. He says the message from his friend was rushed, yet he took the time to put an apostrophe in the word don’t

  33. Имя Настоящее

    I’ve expected a bit more sarcastic finale. Like:

    “To: The Sims 4 Support Team
    From: yetanotheruser_at_somemail.com
    Topic: This bug again!
    Message:
    Hello there!

    It’s the same bug yet again! I’ve raised my character for months, he got a computer science degree and even some kind of a girlfriend I spawned for him at random playground I placed on the map.
    And what does he do? After one of “gone to work” cycles not only he refused to leave his house, but seems to be stuck at the basement and not responding.
    I’ve tried everything, I spawned his girlfriend near him, created several characters to e-mail him and even made an ambulance come for him. Nothing of it worked!

    Can you please tell me what to do? Is it a corrupt savegame or something?

    Regards,
    xxxDominator2002xxx”

  34. The story it self was very interesting, but the ending truthfull could’ve been better. I’m not sure about this story, but it feels realistic, and it gets to me.

  35. So he eventually gouged his eyes out? And they took him since he spoke of padded walls, and they/it could never get to him since he has no eyes to see them with and be decieved?

  36. My guy friend gave me a teddy bear once and I would get so paranoid of it having a built in camera in the eyes that I would always make sure to turn it to the side when i change clothes XD my brain is messed up

    Amazing story btw OP!

  37. I absolutely loved this story. Too me it seems the narrator was suffering because of the loneliness. He had been away from human reaction for so long that he went crazy from his own isolation.

  38. Alright.I dont understand…Amy and the rest of the world was in fact taken by the entity?Did the guy open the door?What cell is he talking about?…Please help my dumb mind is gonna explode!!!!

    1. Alright, dude. Amy and the rest of the world ARE being controlled by this entity. He ripped out his eyes making himself immune to this controlling. He did not open the door, the monster came in by force. The cell is a mental asylum the controlled people put him in.

  39. All I can really say is just wow. The ending didn’t make much sense but after rereading I totally get it now… Very well written!!! I wish more pastas were written like this! Very unique. 10/10!

  40. *lowers sunglasses and looks across newspaper like angry dad* was that sarcasm I detect? Do you want to get smart with me? WHO PAYS ALL THE BILLS AROUND HERE, HUH? WHO GAVE YOU THE MONEY TO BUY THE CLOTHES YOU WEAR AND THE FOOD YOU EAT? Well it’s certainly not me I’m not responsible enough *looks back at newspaper*

  41. The plot and the story all together is amazing. The ending started to make sense of everything so that was cool to

  42. “Oh my god, what’s the difference between a camera and my eyes?”

    Your eyes can’t zoom, nitwit.

    VERY good pasta though. One of my favourites so far.
    9.7/10

  43. I wish that the author would have ended with it being a mystery whether the protagonist was right or not. It would have left that up to the reader and sparked an intense discussion about it.

  44. Very well written, but the character names and the writing style reminds me of David Wong.
    John? Amy? Where’s Molly and some Soy Sauce when you need it.

  45. Great story but the last bit with the doctor took it down a few points on the creepy scale for me. For other people it was probably the perfect ending but as someone who fears losing their mind the possibility it was alien was in a strange way comforting lol

  46. Tbh, I didn’t find it that creepy.

    THIS is the best rated story on Creepy pasta? wow…

    I mean the whole story was setting itself up for a really obvious plot twist ending and it was doing too well a job of withholding information about this ‘entity’ or whatever.

    I would’ve enjoyed a little more vivid imagery or solid description to support his paranoia during the story.

    It kinda seems like all that previous reading building up to one boring predictable ending.

    4/10 sorry :(

  47. *clap**clap**clap* this is one of the very few ‘good’ creepypastas. You did a really good job with this, I wish there were more people who wrote stories like this ones that are actually good and give you that little chill up your spine from being crept out. But I would really of liked it if you would of not made the last part because if you didn’t do that it would of left the reader with the question ‘Was John right and there was a entity trying to him? Or was he just delusional and imagining things?’, but besides that its a really good story and I think you should keep up the good work! :)

  48. Super great story I have felt that way sometimes I don’t go out much . I usually find my dogs and cats better company people kind of freak me out.

  49. Im completely lost. Maybe it was such a long story that I skimmed over some important parts but…I dont really get it. So this guy went crazy, got super paranoid, was too afraid to go outside and ended up in a mental institute convinced that everyone was just an entity in a body? Okay…. cool

  50. Fantastic piece – I can see why its so highly rated on here. A genuinely disturbing tale that mixes in some physical terror with our fear of abandonment, over reliance on technology/big brother society and lack of understanding of mental health. The fact that we end the story still questioning if this entity is real or a figment of his imagination is testiment to the writing. I could see the story being expanded out somewhat into a full-length psycological horror movie if done correctly.
    Best piece I’ve read since discovering creepypasta.

  51. Zachary Matt Russ

    Absolutly genius. Very good job at keeping the reader alert through the entire creepypasta. This is by far my favorite pasta I’ve ever read.

  52. Hey Gar/Matt, I kinda doubt you’ll see this, but I was wondering if you’d be alright with me attempting to adapt this story into a visual novel. It is by far my favorite of the ones I’ve read, and I just feel like I should ask if you’re okay with me trying before I do anything.

  53. No one has heard of people hacking webcams/baby monitors that parents set up to watch their babies? Read a few stories about this, even one story where the parents heard a man speaking to the baby. Perfect Creepypasta material, get on it!

  54. xXpurpleemozombieXx

    This was by far one of the most mind twisting story’s I’ve ever heard. It tweaks the perception of your ordinary web cam to something far far more terrifying leaving the reader on a state of almost paranoia of what may lay behind that layer of glass

  55. After this story I looked at my web cam,stared into it’s lens and smiled creepily and said “Hello” and it was then I realized the lights on the cam were on and were turned off by themselves. I decided to visit this website on my last day at my apartment. Wish me luck.

  56. I didn’t understand the story at all. Did the guy go insane? and poked his eyeballs out…just because he thought he was being deceived? It’s still blank to me…

  57. TheEvilBassist

    Great job! I just had to sign up here at the off chance of the writter of this creepypasta reading this. In case he does – keep it up man! What a great story it was :) Not a single part of it felt unnecessary and it builds up great suspense.. halfway through reading it, I found myself incredibly invested in it, as that feeling of paranoia perfectly translated from the text. Basically, everything you should feel while reading a good creepypasta, you’re feeling all the way through this one. 10/10

  58. Abhishek Pasupuleti

    This is it…. I knew it…. There’s something out there that wants us….. It’s waiting…… Waiting…….. Waiting……..

  59. Sergeant Slaughter

    Great piece. Really appreciate how ambiguous the ending seem to be and doesn’t really specify if “The Entity” is real or if the this John fucker is just batshit insane.

    For any real complaints. It seems to have are a bit too many ellipses for it’s good. And also, there aren’t quotation mark where I think there should be. But that doesn’t hurt it much.

  60. I know this probably won’t live up to this awesome story, but for a short film assignment in college (studying Creative Media level 3) I decided to try and create a short based on this story. Check it out if you like, guys, I worked quite hard on it so if at least one person likes it then that’s enough for me, any more than that’s a bonus! :)

    https://youtu.be/huFerxH8u5U

  61. Wow… Just wow. Great job to who ever made this.
    I find that in general life i don’t get paranoid i just overthink a lot and i think there is no true meaning for anything but in a advanced sort of way and i just simply can not explain the feeling its the ultimate annoyance. I just cant handle the fact that we will never truly know the reason for anything or ever be able to do anything about the fact we are here and that u r reading this right now and that that is u and u just cant handle the fact that u r u and not someone else but normaly it just confuses u that u just happen to be… well u, and that ur “soul” or emotion is stuck in u forever. and that i can do anything i can think anything without restriction of mind and there will never truly be a meaning or a anser and i just have to live with that life will get complicated at times and sometimes it mite be like that ur entire life and thats ok cos it doesn’t matter all u have to know is that u r gunna be who u r and that stuff will happen without restriction and stuff will always get in ur way of thinking/thought and it will just happen. The barrier between reality and non reality which of course we just cant know what it is and thats ok cos thats how it will be so just getting along with life will always be annoying and stuff is just as is… Wow i needed to get that out of my system

  62. Okay, this post did creep me out while reading it BUT it was not until now, an hour later, that I’m seriously freaked out. Read it after sitting all day in solitude and afterwards I felt a strong need for interacting with another person so I walk over to my neighbor (live in a corridor) and talked a bit, and I told her about the story as I had this uneasy feeling in my chest. We laughed it off and I returned home. 10 minutes later she enter my room with her bluetooth speakers in her hand, playing a Swedish voice and since I am the only Swede in the corridor, she knows that it’s me. The voice was from a rather disturbing documentary about Nazi’s, with background music tailor made to put you in an uneasy mood, and I haven’t been listened to that in like a year. Didn’t even know that it was on my phone anymore and where was my phone anyway? I had carried on with my pasta-readings and certainly didn’t listen to Nazi-documentaries. I found my phone in another room and we chuckled a bit over the weirdness of the situation and turned off the documentary and she went back into her apartment.

    Then I remembered this pasta and got a chill from the lower back and up, leaving me with a frosty feeling of unease and had to go tell her about the coincidence and as I walk in to her room she looks up with her speakers in her hand and I hear the same, creepy documentary voice. “it only wants to connect with yours…” she said.

    I’m a rational being. There is most certainly a very logic reason to why our electronic devices act like this today. Nonetheless, my phone is now off and my webcam is taped. Thanks.

  63. I just uttered the word “wow” after finishing been a long time since anything made me say that..
    this is a really sad story

  64. I don’t have anything like a webcam or anything, but now I’m suspicious of the wii in my room. By the way, this was very well done. It certainly brings the reader into the actual mind of a madman and twists the thoughts and beliefs of the reader. Well done.

  65. I bet that the reason he was not controlled is because the only way the entity can control you is by accessing your brain through your eyes.

  66. Wow, do you think this is what some people who actually have psychosis think? His thought process seems believable and the slow degradation of his sanity with him questioning everything and talking about how everything is “too perfect”. Amazing pasta, 10/10 would recommend. Definitely a favourite.

  67. Mister_Crowley

    I was a little confused by the ending, but after reading it over and giving it thought it all made sense. Very interesting and well-written story.

  68. Man, I really liked this story… until the end. It was at that moment I realized this is blatantly stolen from an older story with the exact same plot and exact same ending. This is a plagiarized version of the Heinlein short story, “They”. The only new addition is technology. I will admit this is well-written, but nothing original. A very generous 3/10.

  69. I love how this story leaves you paranoid yourself. Was it a delusion or was he on to something? It’s hard to tell…

  70. Mikaela Anderson

    My review is going to be a good one, overall.
    I think that the ending was great, because the guy was leading you to believe he wasn’t crazy, that something WAS really out there, that nothing would make him open the door. That computers, televisions, cell phones, even your friends aren’t to be trusted. But then, the doctor was real, and was right, and it was just, great. I feel like this was more suspense than scary, but either way, it’s a really good story. Us Creepypasta fanatics should become writers, in my opinion.

  71. watching u... :)

    just put sumthing over the webcam………still scared…………..help meeee………;^;…….

  72. this story has kind of deemed the usefull tool webcam as a useless commodity. everyones like “im not gonna use webcam from now” and “i’ve taped over my webcam ever since”. wat a shameful waste!

  73. I feel like I’m the only one who didn’t enjoy this pasta. I felt as if it would never end. In a way reading about a man slipping into a psychotic like state made me feel a little psychotic and it was unsettling. It was also a little boring.

  74. Seriously this needs to be a movie it was so absorbing and funny. I thought Amy’s behavior was a little suspicious too but at the end I knew the suspicions were correct. I really hope this becomes a short film or something.

  75. I Already am going insane, i think that this story makes my paranoia worse….. plus thsi story confused me does this mean that the “entity” is actually Amy or not.. its just so confusing! almost likr MY GIRLFRIEND AND ME

  76. This…is cool. It’s almost real…but…in the same way. I know it’s trying to trick me that things like this are nonsense. That I should come out of hiding in my computer room and find that the world is perfectly normal. I WON’T BELIEVE IT! Anyone else out there still alive! do not come out of hiding THE ENTITY IS REAL!!!!

  77. This reminds me of myself, the delusional fears creeping up on you, demons in the shadow, and it feels like they’re watching and waiting for you to give in. I used to see shadow figures over my bed at night, almost every day, leering and tormenting me. Sometime it felt like my thoughts were their thoughts.
    The only way to overcome it is to overcome your fear, to be ok with dying. Then they can never scare you. Just as long as you’re ok with dying.

  78. I love this… and I’ve loved it for a while. If I was this guy’s friend/doctor/whatever… I would have just asked him – even if everything you believe is true, what is the harm in attempting to interact and engage with the enemy? His world keeps getting smaller and smaller until everyone else is cut off… so… what’s the harm in talking to the fake Amy? He could stop talking at any time and they already keep him locked up so not much can be lost. The goal is obviously not to kill him. At least he could talk to someone, even if they were fake. He could find out their motives or something. That would at least get the guy to calm down a little bit… Psychosis is weird. I find it’s best if you validate the person’s thoughts (not necessarily by stating agreement, though) but then either find some reasoning that nullifies the perception of harm or gives them an acceptable way to work/live with the situation as they see it. Also, you can always suggest alternative reasoning but never insist they use it… just consider it. I would never want to attack someone else’s reality, no matter how crazy it seemed… dunnnooo… good story.

  79. This is what a creepypasta is supposed to be. Creepy. Unsettling. Unnerving. An ending that’s both a reveal and brings up more questions. I wish I’d written it. 10/10.

    1. my thoughts exactly. this was a near masterpiece. that ending both gave answers yet also brought up more questions as well as gave eerie implications

  80. SaintVincentsBro

    Let me explain as much as I remember from the story (I read it 1 year ago)
    so.. the guy has been so obsessed with technology that he thinks that someones watching him over cameras or everywhere Idk and he is getting paranoid over the thought of an entity watching him, that his mind created the thought that there is actually an entity watching him and he ends up believing the halusination gets completely crazy and lets the halusinational entity take over mind and make him halusinate the doctor and then his phobia of the entity makes himis paranoia take over his mind and the halusination kill his sanity believe thaT THE DOCTOR IS THE ENTITY TRYING TO GET IN HIS MIND AND FINALLY he lets h

  81. add me on xbox scorpion5219

    in the story its obvious that he has gone psycho but the entity is real and it disguises itself as people to make him open the door BUT the question is, is why is it out for him and what could it possibly use him for ?

  82. Some guy living alone in an apartment becomes irrational and thinks that everyone’s out to get him. Unfortunately it’s so impossible to understand why he believes what he believes that he just comes off as a -blam!-ing irrational moron that must’ve have his brain replaced with a piggie. I wanted to appear in the guys apartment, shake the bastard and slap him until he snaps back to reality.

  83. So, he was an extremely intelligent man but at the same time a psyhopath? I am a bit confused. And, why is this even scary? Someone explain?

  84. Luckily i have a webcam which turns blue when it is on. So i am a lot more safe with that. But oh my god i just wanted to close everything down, and go to bed and move back and forth..

  85. Wait, how do i know any of you are real, how do I know other humans are out there, how do I know I’m not putting myself in a state of mind to ignore reality…?

  86. This is a masterpiece. Although it wasn’t necessarily “scary”, it brings forth sympathy, for we all have had the feeling that someone is trying to deceive us. It also captures his descent into insanity perfectly. 9.9/10

  87. a great story, you really started it off slow but as it went on i really got into it and didnt want to stop reading. Bravo

  88. One of the best I’ve ever read. It’s very well-written and it makes you think, we do need more creepypastas like this one. 10/10

  89. so, the entity controlls people through their eyes, and that’s why John (assumedly) gouged his eyes out. but what about blind people?

  90. I think that this was very well written. I do believe that we all go through this doubt at some point in our lives. This was a very good story and a very good ending. I like how the doctor was also taken over. The only criticism I have is that it was slightly obvious what was going to happen. Other than that your descriptive word choice had me running around the halls too.

  91. so just decided to print this out and put it on my bookshelf. i honestly think this should be either a proper book, or at least apart of a real one. the maker of this truly is talented if he could make such art.

  92. im just trying to make sense of this all. so, basically, its a shutter island sort of thing. were he neglects his real world and makes up an insanity kind of one?

  93. I really enjoyed the story, very well written, with the right twists at the right moments. However, one things keeps me from giving it top score.
    The entities are using electricity to observe, contact and control, so far we all agree on that. Then why in the world did they not use his IP to track him down and get information about him since the beginning? I mean, they could have done so and still not enter in contact with him too soon but here they had absolutely no clue. They were in need of his name and location. Or even without his IP, doesn’t they know about GPS tracking? Even more if they took over 99,999…% of human brains, that information didn’t just disappear. They would have succeeded easily if they hadn’t been so damn slow…

  94. Wow, when did Psychosis get dethroned? I never thought I’d see the day. I think this is truly a phenomenal story, and I’m not trying to take anything away from Bedtime or On a Hill. I’ve just always felt this was the best story on the site.

  95. I didn’t give a single f.*k about this. I’ve lost good 10 miniutes of my life reading it. I expected a more clever end.
    I only read it because it was well rated. cmon,

  96. I honestly think they could’ve done something way better at the ending, I dunno tho I’m no expert. Other than the ending tho, great job really showing the steady increase of insanity, it was awesome.

  97. Very well written! I don’t have a webcam but I often give fake names and emails online and I sleep with a baseball bat in reach. This story will be on my mind for a long time :/

  98. At the end, the doctor wanted to make John feel better, to comfort him but:

    “the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes made him do otherwise. His body walked into the cell like a puppet”

    John was right the whole time, the entity was controlling everyone.

  99. I remember reading this a while ago, and I still like it, but now i’m paranoid as heck! And how would the alien/monster thing know how to hack every device? Unless they controlled someone to do it… There are some holes in this story but its still the bomb

  100. Does anyone realize how similar this is to “The Caller” This story is a rip off. Try to come up with your own stories kid, instead of using other peoples stories.

  101. I still can’t wrap my head around everything, but I only read it once (although I paused to think and read back the last sentence several times). But I think that this pasta has certain warnings about trusting too much to the Internet and to technology as a whole, and I really like the real-life message peaking through the fiction. Even while reading through the comments I had to remind myself that “it’s just a story”. The only comment I have Is that it’s long and has too many repetitions, but I probably would have done thr same thing for the sake of effect. Still liking how it makes you think, always I have a fancy for stimulating pastas. Also nice, casual grammar and vocab, which was a big plus as well. Anything else from this author I could read?

    L•:

    I still can’t wrap my head around everything, but I only read it once (although I paused to think and read back the last sentence several times). But I think that this pasta has certain warnings about trusting too much to the Internet and to technology as a whole, and I really like the real-life message peaking through the fiction. Even while reading through the comments I had to remind myself that “it’s just a story”.The only comment I have Is that it’s long and has too many repetitions, but I probably would have done thr same thing for the sake of effect. Still liking how it makes you think, always I have a fancy for stimulating pastas. Also nice, casual grammar and vocab, which was a big plus as well. Anything else from this author I could read?

  102. Beautiful. Great foray into one mans descent into madness. Only to reveal he’d been right the whole time

  103. The webcam part made me put a sticker over the front camera on my phone so that I could finish reading the story in peace without being terrified!

  104. XxForeverXxYouXx

    It’s very good. Well written. But I clearly must say its simler to games of Lone Sirvior and Cry Of Fear. When I first read the first three paragraphs; it’s really the same! It’s like it’s actually that same story plot!
    I know I sound really stupid but what do you have to say? I’m only 12.

  105. The ending was a little unclear. I had to read the comments in order to realize that he blinded himself and that the “things” were actually real?

  106. I live in a town were almost no-one goes outside so when I read this I stayed in my room for days monitoring my email and my street through a window.

  107. ThisTechnoKid:
    You know that thing about spreading this. Yeah this is about how you would do it. So thanks a lot for making people who read this slowly fall into insanity. ^.^

  108. After looking at some of the comments, I feel like I missed something, because I don’t like this story at all. Very drawn out and very predictable.

  109. I was suspicious the whole time. But then, if everything was alright, then this story wouldn’t be here. I seriously thought he was crazy towards the end, especially when i got the bit from the doctors POV, but what a twist ending! I really want a movie based on this now!

  110. RanceLandstrong

    RanceLandstrong:
    I looked at my webcam and then the lights like went out for like second AND I ALMOST LOST MY SHIZ CAUSE NOW IM THINKING LIEK THEY KNOW I KNOW OH MY GOD NOW WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

  111. Probably one of the best creepypasta! After reading the story you think it might all be true…. I might be the only human left… *locks the door*

  112. The natural state of the universe is chaos, so being crazy, or in ‘psychosis’ as this story means is that not only did it imply he took his eyes out, but his mind is in the natural state of the universe. There are two ways of dealing with chaos, understanding chaos or organizing chaos. He chose to understand chaos in the end. I think this is one of the factors as to why they can’t get into his head. Crazy=understand chaos=not taken over (no rational mind)
    Sane=organize chaos=taken over (rational mind that rebels against you)
    ex: luna lovegood
    it is said that this character from harry potter is crazy. but i believe that she understands chaos and that is a gift/curse to see and know the unknown.

  113. The final two chapters of The Asylum series by this guy makes SO much more sense now!! Gotta save this one to read on my channel to go along with The Asylum.

  114. twilightshadowmidna

    Donkey Punch!:
    This ^

    How can we tell what we are seeing is what everyone else is seeing.

    You can’t!

    Think about it without burning yourself out. How can you prove that the image someone else is seeing through their eyes is identical to yours? It would almost certainly be different in a few ways due to the way out brains are wired differently.

    But the really weird part is, they could explain exactly what they are seeing, but the actual image they see for one thing may be different through your eyes.

    For example: Color blind people. someone who is color blind may see a particular color as “grey” but because they’ve been told its “blue”, they then know it’s blue.

    But what if they are also color blind to grey? I could be fk’n orange colored in their mind for all we know.

    Lol this one always gets me.

    Great story, had me reading every single line literally with my face inches from the screen in apprehension :D

    Good Work 10/10

    I’ve always thought that way! We could all percieve things completely differently, but because we’ve been given a label on something, regardless if it’s color, shapes, or dare I suggest—languages and audio? Say what I hear is one form of speech, and what another person hears is what I would comprehend as gibberish if I ever heard it, and if I spoke this so-called ‘gibberish’, the other person would hear what I commonly comprehend, and be unable to comprehend it, thinking IT was gibberish, and vice-versa. It’s fun to theorize these sorts of things, especially since there’s no way to test it… unless perhaps there was a successful brain transplant? One’s eyes and ears may be able to tell the difference in what it perceived as blue before and what was blue now. Gosh, this is so interesting! I’m not too much into this crazy stuf most of the time, but once you get me started I’m gone.

  115. AH! I love it gets me on edge every time i read it! It also makes people think about the world. Think about technology.
    10/10

    Kirito: AH! I love it gets me on edge every time i read it! It also makes people think about the world. Think about technology.

    10/10

  116. After reading this my first thought was “OMG I’m is my friend I’m texting right now real!?!?!?”

    A very very delicious pasta with creepy sauce. Seconds please.

  117. These comments make me feel not alone.
    I emailed all my friends halfway throught, because I was alone.

  118. this reminds me of the wife on inception (if youve seen the movie) cuz the wif e is all like i dont believe this world is real and stuff

  119. That last paragraph makes the gist of the story completely fulfilling. It renders the application of probability and interpretation as always allowing for interpretation of reality. It is not what is real that we believe, but what we believe that makes things real.

  120. Why did amy give up? if the entity wanted to continue to convince the main character, why did it stop amy (its best shot) from coming into contact?

  121. If the main character poked his eyes out, why was the entity still attempting to deceive him, what did it want, what could it get? How could it still control him?

  122. I decided I’d read this before going to bed. Big mistake. Usually scary stories don’t affect me much, but for some reason, THIS ONE is really freaking me out. Probably because it actually legitimately seems possible to me. Maybe I am just that crazy. I decided I’m not sleeping until I see daylight (it’s 4AM here) and calling into work sick. Will also be taping over my laptop’s webcam. I use a standalone webcam because this one doesn’t work well. But now I’m like, I don’t even want, do not want this in my computer.

    Never before has a scary story (a movie, maybe) made me so scared I couldn’t fall asleep. So I guess it did it’s job. Rated it 9/10. Would have given 10 but since it’s really making me uncomfortable I don’t think I can.

  123. some guy who likes creepypastas

    wow I feel so weird…everyone has known me for my intelligence and imagination…yet this story has no hold over my mind at all…any idea why?

  124. I know no one will believe me when I say this but I saw that coming a mile away. It’s the only thing that ties everything together while simultaneously being an completely unexpected twist. As such the ending was a little anti-climatic for me. Still, it was extremely well written so I give credit for that. 6/10

  125. I thought this story was amazing, very well written and and kept me interested the whole time, leaving me wanting more, Great job, If there are anymore stories written by the author I would love to read them.

  126. I don’t know whether to call this story creepy or sad. Great depth and it actually really hits mental illness and what it is about. I definitely understood both views. Long but well worth the read!

  127. I like some CreepyPasta, so I looked at the top rated story…I’m quite indifferent to it. The jump where he broke everything electronic seemed like a radical progression…The rest before it though was pretty convincing…

  128. This is the first time I’ve ever commented on a pasta. I finally decided to comment, and I must say this is my all time favorite.
    The imagery gets better each time I read this story. You’d think one would grow bored throughout reading already knowing the ending, but that’s not the case with this pasta. I swear after I finish reading I always tell the nearest person next to me to read this.
    I think “Psychosis” would make an excellent film. I can already picture a young man going crazy in his room, and scribbling in his journal. I’d honestly pay good money to keep this as a movie in my collection.
    Amazing job is all I can say!

  129. Codex:
    I though he was right the entire time…

    This could be used to determine if you’re a bit on the insane side, by distinguishing a line between who believed he was right the entire time, and who didn’t.

  130. No, the man was right all along. The last parapraph reveals that the doctor is a ”puppet” and says that nobody is decieving him rather than saying what he really wants.

  131. The greatness of this story comes from the fact that it’s so close to reality . I’m at work and almost didn’t pick up my phone when someone called. :/

  132. When I went outside after reading the story, I hit a jumper a it sounded like something was moving and it scared the shit out of me.

  133. The Peyote Coyote

    I was having a good time… until the ending ruined it.

    Leaving the truth ambiguous would have been a lot scarier than “surprise, it’s all true.”

  134. Me: Checking web-cam hesitantly. Scared.
    Seriously though, that pasta creeped me out 9/10, really good.

  135. This is my second time reading this. I knew my webcam could be hacked into before, and I respected my parents’ choice to permanently white out their webcam a long while ago. I probably won’t keep it there forever, but for now I got the strong urge to put something over the viewfinder… I’m not even worried about what they’d see because I just sit here, scratch my face, interact with the internet. But… ugh this story got to me this time.

  136. Ryan:
    Bravo. I thought the whole time that it was a poor effort to make it seem like there was something more to the story, but the ending really tied it all together so perfectly

  137. I love how this CreepyPasta leaves room for interpretation and assumption and ideology; obviously, it’s very well written!

    As such a well written Pasta, it so deserves a long comment review/opinion.

    I read this when it was first posted, and having been four years younger, you can imagine the paranoia I felt after finishing! I never quite understood the commenting system at the time, so I was never able to post a comment or say how beautiful your writing style is, but now I can and so I will!

    Kudos to you, and I hope someday you’ll become a familiar name that I reach for on a bookshelf. You have it in you!

  138. This increased my heart rate. The ending of John being right the whole time??? Thanks for making it even more scary. I’d give it a 20 out of 10 if that was possible. Damn. I’m not sleeping tonight.

  139. …I was texting my friend on my computer while I read this’ll.and I heard a knock on the door…NOT OPENING IT

  140. i thought that the creature wanted you to not believe so that you drifted into phycosis and thats how it killed you, your own paranoia

  141. Every time I use an electronic that has a camera on it (like my iPod) I cover the camera with one of my fingers. You know, just in case.

  142. Crazy Drunken Protaganist

    Smashes all electronics.
    “HAH! You can’t get me now!”
    Tax collector, who has been knocking for an hour now, gives up and leaves.
    “Stupid taxes…..”
    Creature knocks on door.
    “Oh, come in. I was just trying to avoid taxes.”

  143. Codex:
    I though he was right the entire time…

    Me too… Made the ending pretty lackluster, I would’ve enjoyed it more if he’d been wrong or at least if it’d been ambiguous.

  144. I’m not sure … maybe the ending was just one of John’s perspective? If not, then the whole long story was change by a single paragraph :D what a big twist !

    I felt sorry for the two of them (Amy and John), if John was really crazy though …

  145. First of all, this is truly magnifficent written.

    Second of all
    I will take two parts in this.
    I would either seek the fastest way out (usually death)
    Or then i would just go out and face whatever is behind the door…

    Depends on what’s the most fitting…
    Oh, and a third thing:
    I like the fact that everything cannot be explained, i like the madness deeply burrowed in one’s soul, just dripping out of it’s lonely shell from time to time…

    Yes, that’s the kind of person i am…
    A dash of enjoyment of life, a hint of depression then take a challice of insanity mixed with madness and dark humor…

  146. Anonymous:
    Am I the only one who eyed my webcam suspiciously after reading this story?

    Yes, unless someone else was in your room with you, watching your webcam along with you.

  147. Anonymous:
    I already have a post-it taped over my webcam. The NSA stuff is already a little like this. ( I know, I know, if you aren’t doing anything wrong you have noting to hide but i still don’t agree. Please no hate comments)

    So true bruddha

  148. My eyes glanced over the drab white-washed cylinder block walls and the heavy metal door with its small window.

    Umm, it’s called a “cinder block” when making walls and a “cylinder block” when making automobile engines!

    Just saying

  149. God I hated this… not because it was badly written. I think it was well-written. It must be. It’s just that my brother has paranoid schizophrenia and suffered from psychotic episodes several times. The thought of being in his head… of him being this lonely. It’s terrible. It’s not scary or entertaining, it’s tragic and painful and heartwrenching. It makes me want to wish I could cut off half of my sanity and give it to him so we could both be only a little lost, instead of him beingt his lonely and lost… but I can’t.

  150. ElectronicVOICES:
    I have an old laptop that had it’s camera smashed in long ago. I rarely do anything involving electronics, other than Creepypasta and Amazon. And for that, I even use a different address and a fake name. (my friend is simpathetic to my paranoia)

    i see what you did there…

  151. Hellopeople9:
    Well, I like Stephen King’s definition of insanity: insanity is the inability to accept an idea that is logical because of the evidence on it <- from the tommyknockers, creepy book feels a lot like this story :)

    Hmm… I live a few blocks away from Stephen…

  152. This is F*ucking scary!you have officially ruined my child hood!XD

    This story scared me! I’ve always has thoughts like that I had one where I asked my self,”what if I’m in a sim world and I’m a CPU” and I think I get the ending. The doctor was controlled by the entity or the doctor went a little crazy from reading the journal. Plus if I was the guy I would barge though all those people and get a shot gun and blow my brains out. The interesting part is that my name is John and my best friend has a really hot sister named Amie. BTW Great job I wish my dad didn’t bug me while I was reading this.

  153. It’s actually not so terrifying at first but just how perfectly everything ties together and all the subtle clues and sentences at the end of paragraphs that truly tell the story are just incredible… Tells me that I’m actually paranoid sh*tless and that you’re a smart person by coming up with something tied together so well, and ambiguous, and while not telling us the story, leave us just enough bread crumbs that get us thinking “No… no way”

  154. Oh my gosh! One of the best! Had me on the edge of my seat, trying to figure this out.. See it through his mind! It sent shivers down my spine! This was an amazing story! I’m glad to say one of my faves!

  155. Great Story, Really Had Me Wondering With Each Step Whether He Was Right Or Just Crazy. Ending Still Kinda Iffy But Great Story Regardless.

  156. Forgotten Memory

    This story was absolutely brilliant! It reminds me of me. Over the summer I literally spent a week seeing no other living creature and I got really paranoid but i got over it after a while. BUt then my paranoia came back one night at like 4 in the morning I heard footsteps and someone faintly calling my name. I waited fro my mom/bro/sis/ to come to room but nobody came in. I still heard the footsteps and voice i flipped out and shut my laptop really quick and went to sleep.
    11/10

  157. The man was going paranoid because he had been inside for so long, he was convinced something wanted to get him. Through the story it seems that he is just crazy, and at the end it makes you feel sorry for him, but then it reveals that he was actually right the whole time when it says that the doctor was forced to tell him it was just psychosis.

  158. Anonymous:
    If you want to, try to imagine that the person/thing that’s watching you is your guardian angel, since all of the best guardian angels now have upgraded equipment to keep you safe with. They all now own supercomputers; and each computer is yet another tool to help keep you safe. the only reason you have a computer is that God provided you with it, and now your guardian angel will have an easier time knowing if you need assistance. Just don’t strip in front of the camera, because whenever you do, you moon an angel. :)

  159. well, you have certainly got SEVERAL readers thinking irrationally at this point so WAY TO GO, GAR! lol excellent read :)

  160. Swirly Head Man
    November 27, 2012
    ERRMAHGERRD! It’s Slender Man!

    Slender Man
    December 21, 2012
    Yes it is! Fear me!

    Errmahgurd I love these people! XD

    Anyways, nice little story you got there. It is a bit too long for my choice in stories, but that’s what books are for. ;)

    The story makes me think of a continuous winding staircase……

    Sincerely,
    Grim Gamer

    P.S. Roses are red, violets are blue and guess what? Slenderman’s stalking you… (A classic ;)

  161. So what they say about electronics (about them becoming so smart and controlling themselves) maybe that’s happened to everyone and this guys insanity is protecting him?

  162. I really have feelings for this story because I don’t trust anyone. Who’s to know what things could be hiding behind that door? The image of your friend might be there, but looks are deceiving. Lies. Everything is a lie. EVERYTHING. You can’t believe anyone. Nobody is there for you, not even yourself.

  163. I almost quit reading this one by the Monday entry, especially when I realized it suffers heavily from Talking Diary Syndrome — when was the last time you were writing a letter or email or journal entry, and someone knocked on the door, and you actually wrote “hold on, someone’s at the door” or words to that effect? NOBODY does this in real life, and it destroys the narrative’s credibility every time you do it. But this one was highly recommended to me, so I stuck with it to the end.
    Glad I did, too.
    Scared the living shit out of me.

  164. This story is good on do many levels. Example: I got my friend to read it and he still thought John was crazy at the end, when I thought otherwise

  165. Anonymous:
    Oddly enough ever since I found out people can hack into your webcam an watch you, I’ve put a post-it over mine. It gets me really paranoid when it’s not there.

    Just so you know, you can tell when the webcam is on(if you have the right kind,a light shines when you’re using it) so if someone hacks you could just glare into the camera, and then cover it up.

  166. I belive this story is so highly rated because it has the power to make everyone question their sanity, to make everyone paranoid. This story totaly tripped me out. even though this is the second time i’ve read it in 2 years. Still great. Still paranoid, i thank you for such a great story!

  167. paranoid to the point that I already have been through some of this over and over and over and over again to the point that I think I might be insane. but then again I might just be right.

  168. was it just me… I’m kinda confused… like… so he went insane? but who’s the doctor… will someone plz explain? im only 13 and i understood it until the end :/ thanks!~~~~

  169. This story gave me chills. Excellently written! You really get into John’s head and feel what he’s feeling. One of the best creepy stories I’ve ever read.

  170. I freaking love this story!!! I have read it over and over. Even wrote an essay about it for my college class. I am not sure why, but it gives me the chills every time I read it even though I already know what is going to happen! One of the best horror stories out there!!!

  171. Der Ritter Slender

    One of the better long stories I have read, very well written out, only problem I have with it is the realism of it, simply because after reading this story, I went and hotglued a sticker over my webcam. .-. 10/10 for Fear, because I genuinely got scared reading this, 9/10 for Ending, 10/10 for Effort, and 9.7/10 Overall.

    Sleep well tonight, those who have a webcam. You never know who’s watching.

  172. I opened my laptop up one day and started up and a random screenshot was taken without me pressing anything with green lettering next to it along with the picture that was taken at the time…it disappeared 1 sec later and i never found it

  173. Only read a few pastas so far, but this one wracked my spine in chills like none had since I read “The Kitchen” ((that pasta, so it was like “woah, what?”)) but this one. this one tops even that, because it touches on the psychotic part of our nature, that most of us deny. This pasta opens the possibility of skin-walkers (for lack of a better word) or, dopplegangers, if you would rather, and I believe that these things are truly out there. If your secluded, its quite possible that the world is being destroyed and raped by an obscure race. If you cant make contact with anyone for extended periods of time, then it is reasonable to be completely bat-shit-suspicious when they suddenly pop up. all in all, brava on this piece, and make more. tata lovie

  174. After reading this, I ran into my brothers room busted open the door and went “I WILL NEVER TRUST YOU”, then I walked out of the room and curled up in a ball of blankets in my closet all night

    1. That’s pretty funny. I sure hope you were alright. But a closet? come on, those are scary places to be at, at night.

  175. 8/10
    Truly well done. This is lacking the two extra points needed to make a perfect “10” due to my impression that this honestly could have gone deeper into the idea. A lovely concept, with a very nice ending that wrapped it up without over-explanation.
    However, during his paranoia it seems that the suspense could have been pushed just a bit more, and that if given more time a truly terrifying piece could have been born in place of this pleasing yet unnerving fiction.
    Even so, certainly deserving of such a high rating.

  176. BEST-PASTA-EVER
    That was a really really great pasta. The best I’ve ever read. I loved the twist at the end. So smart. I was starting to feel sad for him, like he could have had a good life together with Amy if he let go of his paranoia. And when Amy stopped seeing him and he did not believe it was actually her. Then the whole thing is turned around in one casual sentence. “After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago.” Thought it was just incredible. 10/10

  177. I think, that John is the only human left save a few ‘insane’ people left on Earth not being controlled by society/machines/otherwordly beings. Or John is just crazy, sounds a lot a Schizophrenia.

  178. Anonymous:
    this makes you think. what is sanity exactly? How can we ever know that we aren’t seeing illusions?only the healthiest of minds think these thought since we want to know.Insanity is a perfectly good mind running so fast that it overworks itself and destroys itself.Sanity is usually a dulled mind going to slow to harm itself.

    Wow. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

  179. No. The doctor, the whole world was controlled by the entity. “He wanted to scream but the nerve filaments made him do otherwise” The people being controlled are fully aware of whats happening, they just have no control of their bodies. This entity is like a computer virus for the body that can only be entered by the eyes. Only John survived

    Think:
    Or it could mean a puppet, as in a dcotor walking into a patients room (as doctors do a million time due to work) as a puppet. Remember the quote “insanity is doing something over and over again and nothing changes”
    Doctor could be not controlled by an entity but the writer still described him as a puppet due to his job and the countless times they are meeting with the same patients everyday.

    Something to think about.

  180. I don’t regularly visit CreepyPasta, due to the fact that most of these stories make me even more paranoid than I already am, but this story was very interesting to read, and it can be interpreted in many different ways. It’s up to the imagination and makes you think hard about every detail and what it could mean. Excellent read! Of course, now I’ll be scared to leave my house, thinking I’ll be corrupted by some evil being…

  181. That end was perfect! It turns out being insane with psychosis helped the man resist the world around him, the deception, and the overall madness of everything else. It makes you want to have a sequel, yet perfectly wraps up the story. 10/10

  182. Thank you author, now I actually feel a LOT better knowing that i’m not the only one who thinks of these possibilities that everyone around me has termed weird and mad assumptions… I have a LOT of questions and scenarios like this running in my head that I’m never able to express to the people around me for the fear of being termed mad… Most of these scenarios are accompanied by several mental phenomenon, the most common of which is dejavu… My mind abruptly starts pondering over certain questions every now and then too deeply… when this happens, I almost always have a multi-layer dejavu… i feel like i’ve felt like iv’e felt like i had seen that scene before… then I return to my train of thought for a while and then mostly fall asleep… Very few people will understand how insanity is really just a more complicated level of sanity…. Now I realize that I can use these scenarios in my head as stories… and perhaps write a book…

  183. No, no, no. PLEASE don’t do that… It may cause damage to you guys’ webcams. And closing your laptop may damage it… You wouldn’t want to HARM you electrical devices. This story was nonsense. Do not be scared.

    No, no, no. POR FAVOR, no hagas eso … Puede causar daños a webcams ustedes. Y cerrando su portátil puede dañarlo … Usted no quiere hacerte daño dispositivos eléctricos. Esta historia era una tontería. No tengas miedo.

    Non, non, non. S’IL VOUS PLAÎT ne pas le faire … Il peut causer des dommages aux webcams de vous les gars. Et la fermeture de votre ordinateur portable peut endommager … Vous ne voudriez pas vous nuire appareils électriques. Cette histoire a été un non-sens. N’ayez pas peur.

    لا، لا، لا. من فضلك لا تفعل ذلك … فإنه قد يسبب الضرر للكاميرات يا رفاق “. وإغلاق جهاز الكمبيوتر المحمول قد يسبب ضررا … كنت لا تريد أن يؤذيك الأجهزة الكهربائية. وكان هذه القصة هراء. لا يكون خائفا.

  184. Of course I do no expect any sane person to read this far into the comments.
    I loved the story. It starts out slow, then the man freaks himself out. Easy even for the best of us. Plagued by self doubt through most of the story, he has issues on whether or not to trust the entity. Very good there.
    He picks up on little clues, hints that would normally pass unregistered through most peoples brains, and basically takes the largest chances in his life and having them paid off, by really being the sole survivor of this apocalypse.
    However, near the end, he references the pain being gone, bandages covering the eyes, and, what I thought was funny as he had already done it, “what am I going to do, poke out my eyes?”. Those prove, almost certainly, that he poked out his eyes.
    Also, at the end, the doctor wants to tell him the truth about whatever entity is controlling the populace, however cannot due to the “nerve filaments wrapped around his head and eyes”. He wanted to smile. Most of the important information is in the last couple paragraphs.

    Peace out.

  185. If I’m to be completely honest about this…..I simply cannot see why everyone seems to unanimously love this pasta so much. I’ve read through a few pages of comments, and only a few people have said even one negative thing. In my opinion, it’s nowhere near as fantastic as everyone makes it out to be.

    (spoilers) The reason I read it was because of all of the praise it was getting in the comments, but as I was reading, I found myself continuously thinking “I hope this picks up soon,” or “when does it start getting good”. It was painfully predictable. As the story progressed and the main character spiraled deeper and deeper into his paranoia, it became clear that only two endings were possible: either he was crazy or he wasn’t. Turns out he wasn’t. Okay. I kept waiting for some twist, or something, but it just never came. In the meantime, every journal entry (sometimes even paragraph) had the same setup: guy’s paranoid, someone tries to help, he almost trusts them, decides not to, gets more paranoid. It got very repetitive and frustrating to read, and the predictable ending did nothing to relieve this frustration.

    Sorry, but I have to give it a 1/10.

    1. You, sir, coming from one of the few left alive, must stop posting. I am sacrificing myself to help all those I can. This whole webpage is only one large file stored on some computer meant to track down all survivors. At last count there were two others. Save yourself and don’t believe them. I repeat: DON’t BELIEVE THEM!! they are comibbm m l

  186. wow that was really good lol i loved it just so perfect i write real books i would like to get to know you alot more and get you into my bussiness if you dont mind at all, i wrote a 39 clues book if you read one of them before
    messsage me up one day 519 221 2116 asap….

  187. Everyone is looking at the ending all wrong. See the whole thing is from his perspective so the doctor isn’t under any control. He is insane.

  188. Anyone else think that the end could represent humans vs temptation?
    John is in an asylum waiting for either the entity or himself to give up.
    I know the idea is a far cry from other theories,but John is in a neverending struggle.
    Just like we as humans are (good/faithful = John, temptation/evil = the entity)…
    We too must sacrifice in order to overcome evil (John sacrificed eyes, we sacrifice urges).
    John is basically a twisted representation of light, the entity is the dark…
    The entity (darkness) controls people (doctor) and trys to control us (John’s behavior/week,) but as believers we know better.John sacrifices his eyes in order to stay on a good path even when the entity temps him to give in (knocks/appearing as Amy). John is the ideal human. Someone like the doctor welcomes evil and was easily controlled…John was not crazy but faithful…

    How do you guys feel about this?

    1. I think this is a very interesting reading of the ending! I definitely think that temptation comes into play with the whole idea of “giving in” and the doctor’s mention of John’s “steadfast resolve.” I also like the way you looked at his eyes as a “sacrifice.” Reading the story this way almost makes the protagonist out to be a sort of Jesus-like figure. The description of the doctor as being possessed and controlled by this entity further aligns with a religious allusion. Anyway, I think you bring up a very interesting point and you’ve caused me to rethink the ending all over again!

  189. i really thought it would have been so much better if it didn’t have the last two paragraphs. it would have left us all to wonder and i don’t know why but i would have found that a far more satisfying ending than one that wrapped everything up.

  190. hahaha!! i thought the one that’s delusional is the writer, when i give it a thought the real delusional guy is the doctor!! :D

  191. So John lost his mind, but I don’t get it. I really thought there was another entity because Amy began banging on the door trying to get in?
    That did seem odd to be but I guess maybe she was just really worried about him. This really scared me, I get paranoid easily O.O….

  192. I smashed every camera in my house after this starting with my kinect because when I unplug it it fricken stays on and moves like it’s watching

  193. I’m not someone who’s big into reading stories, unless apparently they’re creepy. This story was very well thought out and kept my attention. Keep doin what your doin.

  194. “After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago”
    I think that line really clears up any doubt at the end; the only reason that he hasn’t fallen for the entity’s tricks is because he had the mind frame to put all the clues together and come up with an albeit irrational but true conclusion. The line also lets us know that ‘reality’ is a deception and the entity is trying to make him believe that he’s insane.
    Awesome pasta, I want more!

  195. “What’s real can’t be argued with. There are chemical reasons that happen on a molecular level that make grass appear green… unless one is colorblind. Taking that into consideration… isn’t perception more real than reality itself? I can’t change the color of grass. But I can change the way it is perceived?”

  196. I do not know who you are or where you live, but I will find you, and I will shake your hand. This is one of the best stories I have ever read. I have respect for people who can write this well. Congratulations!

  197. So John isn’t insane. he is right, and everybody are being controlled by some ‘being’. I think that the old friend who sent John the mysterious message was one of the survivors – remember the controlled doctor saying something about the ‘paranoia’ being spread by the message? – it seems like those are being sent by the people who noticed that something was strange earlier. from the doctor’s point of view in the end, i think people are aware of their actions but are unable to control them.

    I liked the part where he gouge his eyes out to protect himself. He maybe the only survivor from this brave move. Amazing story..

  198. I have been reading the top rated pastas one after the next. By far this is my favorite, and it is the first one of the list, rightly so.

  199. I’ll be honest, and i do think it would be cool and twist like if in the end of the story he just went insane and really nothing was wrong. That would have been crazy cool. But it was still a beautiful ending and i must say, i’m impressed with this character and how well he held himself together. Personally, i myself would have gone into, ” well, crap. kill everything.” Mode, and just rampaged it out. But, hey, i’m a zombie person.

  200. Wow. That was the best Pasta I have ever read. But I have one single question: Why can’t John see anymore in the end? Has he poked his eyes in his appartment or is he blind for psychotic reasons? Sorry for bad English…

    1. actually quite to the contrary this was everything a pasta should be. It was not based around grotesque, or gorish matter, nor was it overly descriptive. Instead it was well structured and and the story was ingenius, especially the comparison of an eye to a webcam. Sorry but I couldnt disagree more

  201. I love the twist ending. I give this a 10. And heres a joke/theory. The entity is plank from ed edd and eddy. Johny lost his memory and through out plank. Now plank wants revenge and took over every one else to get back at Johny.
    Hooray for a joke theory!

  202. I understand that he tries to fight of the entity, but if you ask me, he doesn’t sound very happy. Wouldn’t he be better of just letting it go, not caring if it wasn’t really reality? Or else trying to find out why and how the entity do what they do?

    Actually it’s something I’ve asked myself before too:
    ”would I rather live in a perfect lie or live in a terrible reality?”

    I didn’t really have an answer, does someone else have one?

  203. after 2 years this pasta takes my first comment. It’s a work of art twisting everything we believe to be true. In my opinion the end is:

    John is actually insane and there is no “entity”. After all, if there was, why would it need John if it had all humanity? Also where did John find the bandages? and how did they bring him food with the huge door shut? THe ending was John asked for a paper and a pen, he used to the pen to poke his eyes out and then the policemen or whoever broke in and took him to an asylum. “The doctor wanted to cry etc” he is the one who things that his actions are heroic “I will save her, I’m a hero”, thus it is all in his imagination. He is so deep inside the psychosis that he is SURE that everyone is possessed.

    I hope I can find the writer and give him a present for giving me my favourite short-story read of all time :D.

  204. What I got from the ending, was that Jhon was insane the whole time. The doctor admired his strenght, and wanted to encourage him, but he couldn’t, not because he was controlled by a “being” or “alien”, but because if a doctor would go around the asylum, encouraging insane patients that they are right, and not menatly ill, he would most deffinetly lose his job.

  205. The thing is I believed he was right the whole time. So the ending wasn’t so much of a shocker to me, really. But definitely an amazing story!! I give it a 10.

  206. This story is relateable to most and puts a new perspective on insainty and what it can really do to someone…..its a sad thought knowing someone could go throught that hell without any closer or any type of explanation….i know i wouldnt be able to do that i wouldnt trust anyone not even my best friends which are like my sisters i trust them with everything but if this ever happend….theres no way to explain what would happen…this story has touched me and has brought tears to my eyes. Ive been engluffed in an overwhelming feeling of dread and fear

  207. i think i need to go outside and talk to some one face to face… but wait, no what if this is true, cover the webcams! now ive got cyber psycosis!!

  208. What if this is the trigger he spoke of..? I know this isn’t really true.. That I know of, but I feel somewhat paranoid now..

  209. ah. i hate day like these.. where everything seems fairly odd and you don’t see anyone and the only one you talk to are unusual, scary as fuck and i hate when i hear those weird sound ..

  210. I think that the doctor is being controlled by something, because the paragraph reads
    “He wanted to smile at the man’s steadfast resolve, a reminder of the human will to survive, but he knew that the patient was completely delusional.
    After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago.”

    Meaning, he is delusional, that is what saved him. The doctor, or what is controlling the doctor anyways, needs him to to be sane. He wan’ts him to be sane, because- “After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago.”

    That deception being, everything is OK. It’s OK to give in, think rationally. That what you’re thinking is none-sense and nothing is wrong.
    The doctor himself, or the little part of him left, wanted to be happy for him, he wanted to show him he was happy but he couldn’t.

    The last paragraph says- “…the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes made him do otherwise. His body walked into the cell like a puppet, and told the patient, once more, that he was wrong, and that there was nobody trying to deceive him”

    That shows he’s being controlled. Nerve filaments wrapped into his head and his eyes, which ties into the whole seeing it with your eyes thing, and he was made to walk “Like a puppet” into Johns cell.

    It told him, that he was wrong, and nothing was deceiving him. It was trying to make him sane. It needed that to take over his body.

  211. After I read this story I made it a habit to always aim my webcam at the table when I am on the computer. (I have a stand alone one)

    -Herobrine

    -Always watching…

  212. Don’t forget the insanity in this story is spread via a composition of words, after reading this story, be careful not to question reality.

  213. Wow. I thought that was amazing. Really, you are a good story maker. The end wasn’t rushed and stupid. It all fit together perfectly. :D

  214. I feel as though the story is trying to say that the brain is controlling the person (the doctor) because simply put filaments run in your brain and to your eyes and allow them to function. And if this is saying that the brain is controlling the person this story could be saying something along the lines that we allow our brains to control us through us being closed-minded. This story in a sense then could be something of a “call-to-arms,” against closed-mindedness saying that closed-mindedness is similar to a allowing our brains to control us because we would ultimately be driven by that closed-mindedness to do things that others might consider wrong. An easy, albeit controversial, example would be homosexual relationships, some people are closed-minded against them and as such they react to homosexuals with blind hatred, whereas someone not unlike myself who is heterosexual, but has an open-mind is not bothered by homosexuality and does not blindly hate them.

  215. My reaction to this:
    “alsg;fakw4jrhlkAJLRKAjTRFKJp243sdaPfkwj43ot98WD7G9yq3iurHAL”

    Other people’s reactions:
    “Oh, yeah, that was really amazing and I should rate it too. Keep up the good work, I love creepypastas like this! :)”

  216. don’t you get it I am the rake because if you remember I rock back and forth and so does the rake I have no eyes the rake has no eyes hellllooooooooooooooooooo

  217. Wow. This was an enjoyable read. I felt like there was some realism in this story no matter how distort it may be. Individuals who are left to his/her own devices for far too long, without any human interaction(any interaction),contort his/her perception of the world(society?)to I dare say a more “practical” pure one – an unbiased unfiltered one not manipulated by society and its counterparts. And as society’s promoters and drones, we view this sort of behavior/realization as “just not right” or “not up to sane standards” and classify the individual as insane. When in reality, the individual is observing the world(society?) as he/she should be(his/her interpretation). For all we know, John’s perception of the world (society?) may be right but we are far too absorbed in are own little world’s, trying to keep up with society’s ever-changing fads/dos-don’ts and trying to belong to really comprehend not to mention question who exactly is “caring” for us. But that is exactly what “they” want to see&hear; ignorance of the freeman/woman. Or I may just be insane. :)

  218. …… so is this a happy ending or a sad ending…. its kind of mixed up….. i guese not everything is that simple…..

  219. Honestly, I saw it coming. It was written too…crazily. If that makes sense. It was too obvious that he was “supposed” to be crazy. The increased insanity as well as the title create that effect.

    That being said, the ending was very good, and the entire thing was written very well. It was just predictable, is all.

  220. I definitely enjoyed the way this was written. The gradual onset of the paranoia was very eerie and convincing. However I don’t think the ending suggested this story had any more to it than what seemed apparent throughout.

    Otherwise this is a story about some unknown entities psychologically enslaving the human race over the course of a few days, all the while a strange man living alone begins experiencing timely persecutory delusions that will coincidentally serve to protect his mind(inexplicably) from being compromised by the invaders.

    Utterly stupid.

  221. Absolutely riveting… yet, I can’t seem to prevent myself from wondering- as I scanned this short story with my eyes, who, in reality, was reading it? Creepy! (pasta)

  222. This story gave me shivers, not because I am scared but because it is a masterpiece. This is very powerful, it shows human willpower and the ending is simply incredible. I will be telling this one to everyone I can. 10/10

  223. “He wanted to smile at the man’s steadfast resolve, a reminder of the human will to survive, but he knew that the patient was completely delusional. After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago”.
    -A sane man would have given in to the deception, and believed he was wrong when first told. John wasn’t sane. He didn’t fall for the deception. He didn’t listen to the deception when it told him he was wrong.
    “The doctor wanted to smile. He wanted to whisper words of encouragement to the delusional man. He wanted to scream, but the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes made him do otherwise. His body walked into the cell like a puppet, and told the patient, once more, that he was wrong, and that there was nobody trying to deceive him”.
    -The doctor himself was being deceived. He was forced to convince John that he was wrong. I believe the doctor knew John was right. “His body walked into the cell like a puppet”. Like a puppet. The doctor was being controlled, not by his own mind, but by something. The deception. The doctor wanted to tell John he was right, “but the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes made him do otherwise” MADE HIM DO OTHERWISE. The deception was clearly controlling him as well.

    1. Seems stupid. That would mean that this is a story about entities psychologically enslaving the earth over the course of just a few days. All the while a man begins experiencing rather timely persecutory delusions that for some inexplicable reason coincidentally render him immune to being controlled by the invaders…..

  224. I am an IT Person, and I have worked fervently on a project like this before. Not hearing from anyone from days at a time. So this story automatically struck a chord with me, and drew me in deeply. The emotions and anxiety I have experienced before. After reading this I wonder how close I am to an asylum.

  225. kings-and-jacks

    dude that was amazing! i really liked it, it was long so i thoght i wouldn’t but i really really really liked it! okay i know i can’t type for shit and im sorry don’t be dicks about it kay? kay bye person who made this I LOVE YOUUUU!!!

  226. Bravo, enjoyed it alot, didn’t make me frightened to go out and it got me thinking, I’d actually love to see a longer book version published! I am serious about that too ;)

  227. This is actually one of the best pastas that I’ve ever read. The ending was phenomenal and I just loved it so much. You know, I can definitely see this being a movie. Bravo.

  228. NovemberNightmares :3

    This was one of the best pastas I’ve read.(:

    This is unique and written very well. This sort of pasta I enjoy reading because it actually makes you think, and it’s not very typical. The ending was unexpected. If I were to point out any flaws, I would just be knit picking.(: Thank you so much for sharing this.(:

  229. Excellent. Just, amazing. This story inflicts it’s reader with a portion of the same self-questioning John is experiencing, especially at the end with “a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago”.

  230. Hey there,I am not sure how to contact the person who wrote this amazing story. I wanted to transform this short story into a short movie to be published on YouTube,but I can’t do that without your permission. You can find me at [email protected] or the email I used to post here. Keep in touch,
    Sincerely,
    Akira Okihu(nickname)

  231. I think he’s right about the enity. And we all know it is supposedly faking Amy and everything else. The enity I think doesn’t want John to leave, the opposite of what you guys think. He went outside, the weather turns from sunny to rain instantly. Making him go back inside. When he thinks its daytime its nighttime and gives him the creeps and goes back inside. Starting to see weird things and stuff that doesn’t make sense, go back inside. His friends text, goes back inside refusing to leave. And also the enity is making him insane and he refuses to leave. See the trend???? I don’t know if you guys think the same but I think this is happening. And that’s the end of my post. By the way 10/10 for making me think long and hard about whats the truth?

  232. There is a gap between what we percive and what is real so the guy in the story bridged that gap and saw what was really happening around him. A sane man would have belived that everything was normal but a insane man can percive whats really happening around him. so who is really insane and who isn’t.

    BTW great story 10/10 :D

  233. I have only one question with this story. It says John asks for paper and pen and he eventually gets it. If someone could explain how this happened this would really clear things up for me.

  234. Anonamous Andy

    So… was it real or was it all just in his head? Can somebody please explain the start to finish for me? And if you say ain’t nobody got time for that, I’ll fucking stab you.

  235. No One Flies Around the Sun

    This could easily be my favorite story of all time. Everything right up to the end makes you think poor John has gone insane (which he has, but in a different direction), while also making you unsure. After all, he does mention some important things, like the fact that the only information coming in is what he’s sent out. The ending itself, with the doctor being controlled by the thing on his head, was perfectly vague, just enough to let you know that John was right, but very open to the imagination as to what actually happened. 11/10 have already read again.

  236. Wow. Im Lost. Just reading this pasta made me feel a little insane myself. I guess it doesn’t help that it is summer time and im out of school. Plus my family just recently moved so no interaction with friends or classmates. I also tend to spend summer days locked up in my room on my computer. No one ever texts me, or calls. God, now im just driving myself mad. Im gonna stop now.

  237. rockandmetal101

    This is creepy, hence the name “Creepy Pasta”. I was reading this, and my dogs outside started to bark. I can honestly say, it scared the sh*t out of me. ;~ ;

  238. Hmm. I think that, after rereading the story, that he was in an institution the entire time. No apartment looks like that, at least not how he described, “I’m starting to feel cramped in this small apartment. Maybe that’s the problem. I just had to go and choose the cheapest apartment, the only one in the basement. The lack of windows down here makes day and night seem to slip by seamlessly. ” Much like cells in an asylum.

    And even though he seems to roam the halls, he never actually leaves the building. Patients aren’t allowed to leave the building without people to escort them. Amy wanted to come escort him out, for some time away from solitude.

    Details about the large impenetrable doors, he couldn’t leave, even if he wanted to. And he didn’t open the windows, because he wasn’t able to.

    And the more and more nervous and paranoid he got, the more he wanted to see someone. People in solitary confinement, or not neccessarily solitary but people who spend too much time alone, tend to go insane, as their brains require human contact to function properly. Without enough contact, the brain is starved of hormones it needs and the person goes delusional.

    Im unsure if computers are allowed in institutions, but they allow paper, which is why he’s writing this on paper. And the desperate attempts at calling for help were gone unheard because he literally had no way of contacting anyone outside the institution. He could have imagined the computer, and perhaps the one phone call from Amy was a permitted call the workers at the asylum allowed. Which is why he couldn’t ‘get a signal’.

    And the more delusional he became, the more paranoid he became. He destroyed his things, and the doctors were worried about him, so they were outside his door asking him questions. He never let them in because, as some delusions were to suggest, he thought they’d hurt him. Which is normal for people who truly have paranoia. He set up webcams, though the one he set up by the soda machines could have just been his own eyes, looking through a window in his room door. And the camera aimed at his journal may have been a security camera already placed in his room, to monitor him.

    And once he slipped completely, the doctors had no choice but to put him in a padded cell, to protect him from harming himself. They feed him, and hydrate him, and the pills are to help him deal with his paranoia. Amy came by, to see him but of course in his delusions, he couldn’t accept that it was her, which is why she stopped coming around. She was upset, and gave up trying to help someone who refused it. With paranoia comes the fact that the sufferer believes people are out there to harm them, which is why he never trusted the doctors or nurses, or Amy.
    tl:dr, he was in an asylum the whole time.

  239. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I became slightly paranoid after reading this for a few.

    Well, either way; excellent job with the story, I can see why it is rated so highly.

    -10/10 voted

  240. After I realized he was being portrayed as insane, I was hoping the entire time that John was right about everything. It just seemed to me that it would suck if he actually was insane. Happy I turned out right.

  241. Very good. Kept me gripped until the end. Something I think most people fail to consider is that the guy might not have been the only one to have survived the “invasion” so theoreticly (and this would be a longshot) but couldn’t someone come by and rescue the protagonist? After all he couldn’t have been the only one to have escaped (and hopefully this other person didn’t have to blind themselves to survive).

  242. NerdiestGamerEver

    The whole time i was thinking about the entity i couldnt help but feel it looked like legion or a geth from mass effect and the poor insane guy was Tali I Don’t know why

  243. It was so skillfully crafted so that only the reader could decide if John was insane or the entity was real. Though it makes you think, what if everyone is being lied to and all they do is live in their own fantasy with something hunting them, or if it actually IS real.

  244. It was so skillfully crafted so that only the reader could decide if John was insane or the entity was real. Though it makes you think, what if everyone is being lied to and all they do is live in their own fantasy with something hunting them, or if it actually IS real.

  245. FrostBittenFairy

    People are quick to criticize an unclear ending.
    Firstly, the ending to this story is far clearer than a lot of stuff out there. Just because you don’t understand it, does not make it nonsensical.

    Secondly, it’s mystery and the unknown that often affects the human psyche so strongly. We have a need for answers at a primal level. Nothing frustrates or scares a human more than not knowing. I personally find stories/films which don’t clear everything up much scarier than those that show us the monster/killer/other. Often, storytellers or directors and CGI can’t quite compete with what our own imaginations can come up with :)

    Point made, this story was great. I was totally sucked in after a while, and I’m a fussy reader. Great read.

  246. The thing that scares me about this pasta is how the “doctor” says that it is cyber psychosis spread through seeing something and gets spread by reading things. I wonder if the author intended that to be the case, I mean since we all read the story. It seems like an overdone ending, but this story had me going to my windows to see if people were there!

  247. Honestly, that last paragraph irritates me. This pasta is so creepy and eerie because it’s built up to make you believe the protagonist and go along with his fears, until the end, where you choose if he was right or just crazy.

    Personally, I think he’s just crazy. But that last paragraph steals my choice and makes the entity real, which is why it’s irritating.

    All that said, this is still the undisputed best pasta on the site, and is a beautifully crafted story. I come back to read it all the time. It gives me the creeps without making me terrified of everything.

  248. Hmm
    This pasta…
    It was very different indeed but it just sounded like a man with severe trust and anxiety issues. The only thing that was really creepy about it was the part where he got rid of his eyes, but that’s even too cliche. However, I enjoyed that it was interesting and all, I just wish there was more to deal with his best friend near the end of the story.
    7/10

  249. Outstanding and very creative. Gave me chills, it was one of those stories that made me feel like I had to constantly look around my room to reassure myself that some entity wasn’t there with me… Kudos.

  250. The entity can control electrical devices, and can control a human through contact through sight, which the entity, theoretically, does not control the mind. This is proven by the doctor’s thoughts. The mind is your own, but the body is left to be controlled. In this story, it implies that you are a brain, controlling a body, and that the entity is capable of more controll over the body than you. Great story.

  251. Very good. Very orignal. Gets people thnking. Are we really here right now? Am i really typing This? 8 skulls

  252. Wow. I have gone over the ending to this story at least 5 times and it is amazing. Very well written, and made me think without scaring me. Definetly one of my favorite pastas. Props to the author.

  253. Makes you think all those people in insane asylums suffering from mental diseases may in fact be the sane ones… and we’re just insane.

  254. I flipped shit when he came to the eyeball realization. I could almost see this in a horror/sci-fi short story collection. I NEED MORE!!!!!!!!

  255. Am I the only one who nervously looked around my appartment while reading this and jumped when my boyfriend knocked at the door and continued to be paranoid by asking him questions that only he knows the anwser to while putting duct tape over cameras and microphones?

  256. Who killed Krista

    I’ve always been afraid of computer cameras. But I read this from my phone and I just think, I have been texting with this phone with its little eye staring at me. All my friends who I knew before I moved stopped talking to me. Every friend I make only lasts a few weeks.
    But I’m outside everyday.
    Maybe that’s what keeps the paranoia out.

  257. I don’t understand the ending. It says the doctor wanted to whisper words of encouragement to the delusional man, etc. Like the doctor is being controlled by something to lie to the patient, when really something is decieving him. So was the patient right the whole time?

  258. In the middle I was convinced that John was just going insane. But the last two paragraphs… Oh my god. I tried to think that I hadn’t understood it, but I would have been wrong. What makes you realize that the entity was real was the fact that it said that “[the doctor] wanted to scream, but the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes made him do otherwise. His body walked into the cell like a puppet…” meaning that the eyes from the email were true. The entity took control by the eyes and the fact that he is compared to a puppet implies he isn’t in control of his body.

    This is my very first pasta and I absolutely LOVE THIS, no matter how terrified the ending made me.

  259. But wait, why does the entity need to have him believe that he’s real? They obviously got past the door part, what else do they need to do?

  260. That has freaked me out to the max D: I just no longer know what to trust :I Being home alone did not help at all

  261. Amazingly written. It really made you think and analyze the protagonist’s situation. I felt empathy for him throughout the whole read. This pasta was scrumptious!! I want more please. :3

  262. This was absolutely amazing. A completely believeable and utterly chilling story that twists the mind to where you really aren’t sure whether how he feels is real or fake. Encore, encore!

  263. The shear fact of the matter is that this is one of my all time favorite short stories that I think can have potential to become an actual novel if drug out through a long period of time about how he slowly slipped into this state of being, making it drag on more but not go to slow. You have talent indeed.

  264. God. Bravo! Just Bravo!
    At first people could slightly empathize with John, for subtle paranoia of silly things is prominent in most people, including me. I initially thought this story was a recording or psychological analysis of a man who’s going insane. But the ending really got me: it both made me laugh and sent a shiver down my spine. It wasn’t a psychological analysis of a man becoming delusional. It’s a story of a man who’s slowly becoming enlightened to the true fact that this entity is trying to deceive him, for whatever reason.

    Absolutely amazing Creepypasta! Delicious!
    Best I’ve read!
    Thank you for an amazingly creepy story!

  265. so what i took from this is that after going insane from being isolated for so long, the protagonist destroyed all his electronics, cut out his own eyes, and ended up in a mental institution. the doctor is also insane but cant show it, for fear of ending up in the same position. it would be nice if the author could clear that up. great pasta however the ending could have been worded a bit differently. when you spend that much time convincing me something is outside the door, your reveal should be precise.

  266. I don’t think that it ended up being real at the end. I think John was actually insane, but the doctor understood him. That the doctor was slightly mental himself but his brain kept him sane, which is why the doctor talked about his brain as a seperate entity controlling him and keeping him sane, and how he admitted that John was delusional yet the doctor wanted to fuel his delusions. Another thing is that the doctor also believes that we are all being decieved and only sane people accept it, which is why he says he lies to John because he thinks he is also being decieved but he can’t do anything about it because his brain is keeping control and keeping him sane. In that way, I think the doctor is just as mental as John.

  267. nice story, i saw it happen next door,
    scary as hell, and seeing it happen to someone
    makes slenderman, the rake, the opperater, seed eaters and any others seem very pathetic.

    no ratings

  268. This got me really thinking about… things. I think that by a slight chance I might had gotten paranoid myself if I hadn’t seen anyone for days. But congraculations, kept me excited for the very last word.

  269. For all the insane hype it got I was hoping it would be better. I’ll probably get murdered for that but it was awfully long and not particularly scary. IRL, sure, of course it would be, but for a story this is an overrated creepypasta. and not all overrated things are bad, you know, just… overrated.

  270. Saw The Superior

    This is kinda like the Russian sleep experiment but dealing more with the mind and his eyes and less physically

  271. thischickeniscold

    This pasta is so legit it hurts, good job bro! This had every thing i was looking for in a creepypasta! 10/10 i’ve actualy read about 4 times already. Thankyou kind sir!!

  272. Brilliantly written sir. The plot was catching, and gave the reader a nice break from the usual ‘ghosts and ghouls’ routine. Even I, as a very rational thinker, began to question my surroundings. A real masterpiece. You have a gift.

  273. Wow I’m blown away absofuckinglutly blown away, this is a work of art so wonderful and the twist ending just amazing
    Ok for some reason I so badly want this to be a movie! Or at least a book cause that would be fucking awesome!!!

  274. Damn good pasta! I still feel the chills in my spine and it’s been hours since I read it. Fucking love all the built up suspense and the twist ending really messed with my head.

  275. 10/10. This is an AMAZING pasta, it honestly is the post that got me into reading and writing creepypasta. Its incredibly believable and is written meticulously well. I feel where most pastas fail is unbelievable events, characters that cannot be related to, and ideas that are just flat out stupid. Your pasta fits none of those descriptions, Its truly entertaining, gripping, and scary. You have a real talent.

  276. This is the best pasta I’ce ever read. The ending just makes you think, I loved it. I leaves you wondering, “was the part with the doctor metaphorical or not?” oooh! It gave me shivers!!

  277. I seriously don’t get the hype with this one. It tries too hard to be something clever and thoughtful. 3/10
    I think it would have been a lot more interesting if he did see Amy in the webcam the first time around, and he records a bit of it just so he can watch their dialogue over and over again whenever he feels lonely. He let her in and they have a chat, talks about old memories and she later leaves. Next day he watches the recording, but this time around, there’s no Amy.

    1. You’re not alone. All I got from it was that there’s a guy that people (including the reader) would mark off as being crazy. Then you find out he’s not crazy; something is actually controlling people.

      But what is the point? Why does it matter if he is or isn’t controlled by whatever it is? Everyone else is and they’re okay.

      It’s Hip To Be Square!

      (I still think it’s God controlling them)

  278. O.O Oh God. This was amazing. I really wish I could give praise to whoever the author is.

    So brilliant and really scary. Back in the day, I doubted reality a lot and had some intense paranoia so this was exceptionally freaky for me.

    The ending was also brilliant because I had to re-read it several times to understand what happened.

    The frightening thing is the amount of times I believed that the guy was just delusional. I would have fallen for the deception multiple times, as would have most of us, I imagine.

    Pure genius.

  279. Please explain the ending for someone of my age?I liked the story but I don’t get the ending that much :/

    1. Basiclly alian (of a sort) take over the world and only the blind can survive since the tech that takes control of.the human is fully supported on site. Hens the main character did not get taken over

    2. Basiclly aliens (of a sort) take over people that can see so the main character blinds himself. All the people that can see are puppets because the aleins can site that is why he got the email about the eyes. If you want more ill explain

    3. Basiclly aliens (of a sort) take over people that can see so the main character blinds himself. All the people that can see are puppets because the aleins can site that is why he got the email about the eyes. If you want more ill explain.

  280. Positively lovely. The descriptions of his fading and paranoia are absolutely unlike anything I have read before, and the journal format compliments the idea of the story quite nicely. Continue with your writing, please. I adore it.

  281. Wow! I was tense all the way through the story, and the ending was perfect! I’m still confused though. I don’t plan on sleeping, so I have plenty of time to think about it.

  282. I know who you are. I know what you want. If you want a ransom I got loads of money. But what I don’t have are a very particular set of skills; skills I haven’t acquired over a very long career. Skills that wouldn’t make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop writing now that will be the end of it. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will pay you.

  283. Long, but well worth it. I loved
    how it shows that your mind can be your worst enemy, you can never be sure what is real and what isn’t.

  284. Like others, I had to read the ending again to actually understand it. I completely miscomprehended the part where the doctor was a puppet himself and that there actually WAS a deception going on.

    Excellent story.

  285. you will never find out my name!!!!!!

    i just read the whole thing. it starts to get interesting after awile! i never thought it would! but now i really want them to make another one saying if he ever gives in or what

  286. you will never find out my name!!!!!!

    i skipped a LOT it cause it was boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

  287. Can someone please explain the ending? So was he sane or insane? Was there an actual force controlling all of humanity? Are the people he had talked too real or fake?

  288. I feel a strange calling-to of “Master of Puppets” by Metallica. Very good read. I loved everything about it, the ending especially.

  289. If you are not yet a published author, you should be. This is indeed one of the greatest stories that I have ever read. Your writing style is brilliant, your main character fascinating, the plot exciting and original…You are incredible. Thank you for this.

  290. If you are not yet a published author, you should be. This is indeed one of the greatest stories that I have ever read. Your writing style is brilliant, your main character fascinating, the plot exciting and original….I give you the greatest of standing ovations. You are incredible. Thank you for this.

  291. As much as I would like to believe that the doctor’s actions were controlled by none other than his own “sane” mind, specific words like “filament” make it difficult to argue against the more likely scenario that the doctor is literally being controlled by something against his will. Or maybe the author meant for it to seem this way on purpose…? It seems like it is about as likely for one to come to the darker conclusion that the doctor’s mind is what’s controlling him as it is for someone in this story to conclude that they are, in fact, in danger of capture by something supernatural. So maybe, just like in the story, the more paranoid route is correct. If the author intended to create this kind of stir in the comments…then bravo. If not, it just goes to show how realistic the themes in the story actually are. Either way, amazing pasta – makes you think and all that good stuff ;) 9/10 for me only because word choice couldve made it even more disputeable.

  292. For some odd reason, although this contained no graphic, gruesome images, i found this particular pasta incredibly eerie. Somehow the story related to me. Especially the feeling that constantly occurs to me as I (for example) stay home alone at night; I seem to always imagine crazy scenarios. The worst scenarios my mind can posssibly come up with. Different images tend to appear in my mind of what lies on the other side of my front door. This pasta also reminds me of the way i tend to imagine the worst outcomes for every situation… things just like imagining being runover walking home from a night out drinking … anything. However, due to my lack of sophistication, I struggled to understand the last paragraph of the pasta.. Can someone please explain it to me?? cheers

    1. The guy was right, and there is something that has taken everyone else. But the only way he is able to resist falling for the deception of this siniser creature, is by going batshit insane.

  293. This was a very good read, the ending is very confusing and I believe that’s the point. I think the writer wrote the ending about the doctor in such a way to confuse the reader. Think about it, he could want to smile due to John’s will to survive, but then not do so due to the creepy passage he had just read. He walked into the cell like a puppet and told John that he’s wrong but it’s his job to do so, he is “controlled” by his job, his boss, and his duties as a doctor. For example, if you work in a shop and a customer begins to annoy you, every fibre in your body wants to tell them to fuck off, however you’re not allowed because you follow the rules of your job.

    There will be those who say I’ve thought too far into this, but like I said, that’s the point.

    The ending is whatever you interpret it to be, it follows the theme of the entire story.

  294. This thing is just so… Psychosis! I’m not native american so my english isn’t so good but I understood the part till the ending, I searched for an explanation in the comments bu they said to re-read it and I did it and then I understood it.

    So thanks commenters..

  295. I knew it robots are testing me to see if I would fall for it .YOU WONT GET ME !! EVERYONE AROUND ME IS EMOTIONLESS! HELP, ANYONE.

  296. The enjoyment from reading this was impeccable. Even though, to an expirienced reader, the ending was obvious (not for a lack of trying not to be). I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent reading this. Recommending ‘Psychosis’ does not do it justice; it must be shoved down peoples’ throats.

    I genuinely thank you.

  297. Hey, this was pretty great, definitely a 10/10, but I have a question: what was the ending about? Was it really a machine/entity, was it just him being crazy, or some other thing? I only ask that nobody flames me for this question, I just simply don’t get it. Please elaborate.

    1. What EXACTLY it was is still a mystery to all of us. But from the last part you can tell that he in fact wasn’t crazy, there really was something controlling the people and deceiving him.
      So actually it’s kind of a way to ask “What if it isn’t just psychosis but real?”
      I hope this was clear enough.

    1. After reading through some comments, it seems that the point is that yes, there IS something out there. However, that something isn’t “taking the form” of other people, it’s actively controlling them through whatever those “nerve filaments” are. Everyone else fell for it, and as a result, fell under the control of “it”. The worst part-the “fate worse than death”-is that these controlled people know they’re being controlled, still have wills and emotions of their own, but have no control over their own actions whatsoever, are completely at the mercy of “it”.

      1. Oh, thank you. I actually just asked this, and i guess a bit of reading could’ve told me the answer. That would be terrible, being aware of but not in control of your actions.

  298. driven insane by the matrix it seems…

    lmao i had to, the end really reminded me of the theme, great work, well worth the length reading

  299. I honestly thought the ending was going to have everything be perfectly normal except the insane man that’s freaking out about nothing. I didn’t expect his paranoia to be real.

  300. I got hooked from the very first words I read. I couldn’t stop reading and as I read my hearts races just to know what would happen to him next. A very exciting and mind blowing story.

  301. Alternate ending: The doctor whispers into his ear, “No one will ever believe you. I’ve got you right where I want you, and there’s no escape.” Then the doctor laughs, and the story ends.

  302. I don´t get the ending.
    Can someone please explain it for me?
    Maybe it´s cause I´m german (not that all germans are idiots lol, I think it´s maybe just the language)

  303. I think I get it. Everyone is themselves but they are all brainwashed by the nerve filaments around their head. So Amy is Amy but she is brainwashed by The Entity, same with the doctor and everyone else. Maybe the nerve filaments are also connected to all media devices at all times, allowing The people connected to find everything out about the man. Correct me if I am wrong, but that’s just how I perceive the story. Anyway brilliant story, better than Stephen King in my opinion. 10/10

  304. so… what? Did something control the doctor or..or what? and please don’t ask me to reread and think realistically because I swear I did it and I am sill confused.. :<

  305. The writing was fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but the story could have been better. Reading this simply made me feel as if I was reading a repetitive script of some sort. It was the same emotions again and again and the ending could have been much better.

    I don’t know. This story didn’t really touch me internally as I hoped it would have. But at the same time, it was worth a read.

  306. Good story but I think it should have ended without that bit about the doctor. The ambiguity is more interesting and I find the idea of madness and paranoia a lot more frightening then brain controlling parasites.

    1. I liked the ending. I agree that paranoia is scarier, but think about it like this: if you ever start going crazy, maybe you’ll remember this story and it’ll ever so slightly help you to convince yourself that it’s all actually real.

      We’re now playing the Sanity Game on hard mode thanks to this fucking pasta. A+.

  307. It took me a few times of rereading the ending to (hopefully!) understand what the author was conveying, and I think that if you can put out of your mind the whole of the story before the last few paragraphs, it becomes easier to interpret. — The beginning piece to the end of the story describes how the doctor wishes he *could* smile at “the man’s steadfast resolve”. The author then goes on to say how any “sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago”, implying John was indeed being deceived all along. The author then continues in saying how the doctor, *wanted* to smile, *wanted* to whisper words of encouragement to “the delusional man” BUT! the nerve filaments (aka: fibers) wrapped **around** the doctor’s head and **into** his eyes (remember the seemingly garbled email John received saying, “seen with your own eyes don’t trust them they”?) made (aka: forced) him to do “otherwise”. The author then goes onto describe how the doctor, “like a puppet”, walked into the cell and attempted to reaffirm to John that nobody was trying to deceive him.

    I dunno, what do you guys think?

    Regardless of how the ending is interpreted, Mr. Gar/Matt Dymerski, your story was a joy to read and brilliantly composed. Bravo! I hope you continue your writing endeavors! You most certainly have a fan in me.

  308. This had me on the edge of my bed, eyes glued to the screen the whole time! LOVED it. 10/10. Made me a bit scared! Haha

  309. did he not tell the psychiatrist about the email or was that implied? cause it would be out of character for him to give away information like that at this point

  310. Very good pasta, tough the whole time I had the feeling that the person was completely out of his mind in the first place. A sane person would not react to things like that.

  311. Wow.. this really gives me the willies because I actually do feel like there is always people watching me, waiting for me to notice them. Yes, I do realize that I am paranoid, but I do not care. It is also really creepy for me because I do not see anyone for most of the day a lot of the time. Great Pasta!!

  312. As a psychology student, I want to say that this is an amazing piece of literature! Absolutely beautiful. It pulls you in, and you feel the character’s fear. You understand his thought process, whether you are deemed sane or otherwise. The beauty and the pain that is FEAR.

  313. Somebody should make this into a short film. A dencet director and good adaption of this awesome material could produce a great result.

  314. DaughterofInsanity

    Goodness. This is a very impressive story. From the way it was all told, this was truly something that maniupulated my mind into thinking I was that person, that I had experienced those events and paranoia, like I was really the person writing down everything that was happening.
    It was certainly a very good read, and a good view as to what kind of mental breakdowns a person can have within their lives. Gives me a good idea to study upon.
    Just hoping that my sanity doesn’t deplete to this level. It’s already down enough, and to break like this will really have me traveling in madness.

  315. that was excellent,i honestly kep reading even tho i was busy with homework thx for the procrastination lol um make more stories please!

  316. last psragraphs honestly in my opinion i wouldve broke (amy not coming) wouldve begged them to bring her to visit to apologise but thats just me i couldnt handle it

  317. Great story! I even think you could get this published by a company if you write a few more in this genre so that it becomes a book. thumbs up! :)

  318. Will someone please fill me in on this? The ending really confused me… Was the doctor and everyone real? Please tell me so I can know I didn’t waste my time reading this :P

  319. well ill be changing my pant’s now cause that was creepy i started to get paranoid about my own life but snapped out of it around the ending

  320. Its Great!… but i want a part 2 where everything falls in its place, a part where he discovers that nothing changed and that he might fall in love with amy… 10/10

  321. Very delicious well-cooked pasta. The ending serves as a delicious sauce that makes the whole pasta come together with a delicious taste. Really well-done, and an enjoyable read. To believe that the real world can be deceiving… amazing! Comparing a webcam to a human eye was an amazing touch also!
    13/10

  322. This… What an experience to be retold by the author. Ive been in that padded room in the end. Drugged to the point where you feel dead and alive, and realized what is real… Live amongst them. Hide from them, we die either way… I need my medications now, the hallucinations are beyond my tempered glass window, outside my plywood door. Run… Run… Run

  323. wow bravo i wanna see more pasta’s like this!!!!!! That suck you into the story and creates a little movie in your head as u read it

  324. This is an amazing pasta, and it scared me in a way that no Paranormal or Homicidal-Based piece has done before. This made me question both my existence and my sanity, especially the conclusion. The fact that he held onto his resolve and he knew that humanity (or the lack of) was deceiving him was exceptionally well written; easily one of the best pastas on CreepyPasta at the moment. What also made this story realistic was the fact that there are people who experience this throughout the world, and the conclusion balanced out the realism perfectly with a hint of cunning deception and an ‘un-human entity’.
    Remarkably Phenomenal, 10/10.

  325. Wow. It was amazing.

    As someone who personally suffers from Paranoid Schizophrenia, I must say that this was an amazing portrayal of some forms of it (though not my own personal one, thank goodness ^^; )

  326. One of the best pastas on the site.. read it 4 times :D Its something ive always wondered about… What if insane people see the world how it actually is and we are the ones that are crazy because our minds sheilded us from how the world actually is? 0_0

  327. I love this story. It is the best pasta on the website.
    True, the man is insane for not falling for the deception — even the doctor at the end says that every sane man would have fallen for it long ago. But I guess it’s the insanity that makes us human?? Y’know, cuz everyone has different fears and beliefs, and maybe everyone has a different mental problem as well. His insanity is what saved him?

    I still don’t understand why the villains ( the machines that are taking over) want him. If they already have everyone, or mostly everyone, in the area where the man lives (or, more likely, mostly everyone in the whole world), what could they possibly do with John?? Why is he so important??

    And does John’s insanity really save him? Everyone else is being controlled, but in the end, John doesn’t have anyone left. He can’t relate to anyone, he doesn’t have any friends, because he’s the only *real* person left. I know that being controlled is horrible, but if John can’t save anyone, can’t live a real life, does his realness really save him??

    These are not rhetorical questions. I know that I may be over-thinking the whole story, but I would love it if there was someone to discuss this with.

    1. I think that John holds no importance to the entity that has taken over, but if he is the only one, or one of a select few, that have resisted the allure of it, that makes him all the more desirable because it wants what it can’t have.
      However that’s just my take on the matter, he may hold some giant key to their master plan of universal domination, but we’ll never know unless there’s a sequel (hint hint! ;)).

  328. A truly good eat, wonderful and intriguing till the end. If you could however, tell me the meaning behind the ending? I think I have it figured out but I am not too sure. In fact this is making me feel paranoid.

    Truly deserving of a 10 out of 10.

    1. The ending is from a different point of view.It is a doctor who wants to congratulate John’s insanity and his will to survive, but he can’t because the things that John fears are controlling him (the doctor). They have pretty much everyone John knows– he doesn’t even trust his best friend.
      So basically, the ending is from a controlled person’s point of view — he wants to applaud John, but he can’t because John was (is) right.

  329. I understood this pasta the first time I read it! I’ve read sooooo many pastas and none have been able to top this one, yet! 10/10 have read 5 jillion times over.

  330. Real people would also render the whole “it needs him to open the door to get in” thing senseless. …Maybe I’m wrong about the doctor being possessed? Maybe there is a shapeshifter and once it gains access to someone it tampers with their eyes? But that still doesn’t explain why the man at the end is being controlled “like a puppet.” Again, I have to have missed something important.

  331. I am actually pretty confused. Early on in the story, it seems to be a shape-shifting entity, or one that can only be perceived as what the other person wants to perceive. He doesn’t see Amy on his camera until he calls for her, thus telling the entity what he expects to see. This also makes a lot of sense in light of the fact that the eyes, specifically, are what are being controlled. HOWEVER, the voice also changes. Why is that? And at the end, it is revealed that actual people, with bodies, are being controlled, which doesn’t make any sense in light of earlier events, which suggest a shape-shifter. Can anyone explain? The story is great… I must have just missed something.

    1. I like how you see the story, but how I understand it, these “things” have control over all the electronic technology in the world, and they need a person to fall for it- they need a person to deceived- in order to take over their body and start controlling them. They can see everything that happens on the internet, all your phone conversations and and text messages you send. They took over Amy, and when John saw her in the web camera he wasn’t actually looking at her, but the things controlling technology made it look like it was her. That’s why he was obsessed with seeing things with his own eyes, he can’t trust technology.
      Anyway, in the end it was his insanity that saved him. The doctor in the end wanted to applaud him, because his will power was impossible, and it proved that he was human, even though insane. He wanted to congratulate him for being paranoid enough to survive, but the things that controlled his body didn’t let him.

  332. Hey guys,I’m thinking of writing a pasta and I need a bit of advice. Which would be a better ending to a story, a twist with a happy ending or a double twist with a sad ending?Please respond.

  333. When I first read this (not that long ago), I thought that the ending suggested that the doctor was paranoid as well, and that the “nerve filaments” going into his eyes was his brain… because then it would be like, his paranoid mind was convinced John was right about the “entity” but his brain told him he wasn’t and that John could/would improve… but then I read it again and I realized it said the filaments were wrapped ‘around’ his head, and that’s not anatomically correct for a brain.

    I did really like this, though. Long but worth it.

  334. Simply the best creeypasta that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Expertly written with near perfect punctuation can really make a difference when it comes to the impact of the story, and this was nothing short of marvelous. I will admit that at first, I was slightly dubious as to the length, but it certainly lived up to it’s rating. Utter perfection.

  335. Simply the best creeypasta that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Expertly written with near perfect punctuation can really make a difference when it comes to the impact of the story, and this was nothing short of marvelous. I will admit that at first, I was slightly dubious as to the length, but it certainly lived up to it’s rating. Utter perfection.

  336. I just can’t tell if he is just imagining this, and at the endit’s just his perspective and that thisnis all paranoia. Or if he was right all along…

  337. I still don’t understand the ending at all after rereading several times..the guy just went crazy..and that’s all I understood I’m sorry if I sound stupid but I need this explained like I’m 5.

  338. Oh my goodness! This gave both my sister and I goosebumps at the end!! Excellent execution, chain of events, just.. Everything is wonderful! You should really get this published! No joke!

  339. loved it, you write beautifully. one of the best creepy pastas I’ve read in a while…sure it was long, but it was worth it. the ending was really the best.

  340. THAT WAS AMAZING. Amazing, but it has just boosted my probability of being paranoid from 90% to 97%. Ahh, well. Paranoia is paranoia is paranoia.

  341. wow, I nearly cried=, the ending was so sad, I really pity the poor man… but if Amy truely did love him, then she would still see him, no matter how delusional he may be.

  342. I had to read the ending over twice to fully understand it. & now that I do, it completes the whole story. Then doctor knew what was going on, but couldn’t do anything about it, he was being controlled.

    Most amazing pasta I have read, and I honestly don’t say that, ever. You seriously should try making money for writing because this was perfect.

  343. I think that this was a very long, but very delicious pasta with just the right amount of sauce on top. Overall, an absolutely wonderful pasta

    1. Thank you so much for posting this link!! I read it, and it was amazing!!! The author is awesome. Do they have any more stories???

  344. I understood the story, good grammar, but I don’t know why I didn’t like the story much. Every thought in my head was just thinking about why he questions himself too much, that’s what got me annoyed. The plot of the story was amazing though, Good job.

    1. I had to reread the last few paragraphs a few times to understand it. The way I see it is, that once you are decieved, you are “controlled.” This is why the amy imposter NEEDs him to believe. This also explains why the doctor WANTS to smile and give words of encouragement, but cant because he is a puppet(controlled by this being).

  345. Reading this while listening to silent hill 2 ost just hit every paranoid nerve in my body.

    I’m seriously tripping out, this is every unrealized fear of mine in one story.

  346. Loved it! So far the only pasta that has creeped me out, however could someone please explain the ending to me? Ive reread it a couple of times, however I do not understand it.

  347. Amazing, Its kind of a twist how he gets an email from someone to watch your eyes, To me i thought of this to mean "watch your webcam" and the ending was DELICIOUS how he goes to an insane asylum and how amy tells him that shes real. I though that you could never perfectly duplicate someone and tell them the your the real one. PERFECT i would go on for hours to tell you how good this is but ….just wow

  348. A mind that’s gone insane is one that has gone through something before. A man is not born insane, it’s experience and situation that causes trauma to the person’s sense of judgement. This simple story defends people of (schizophrenia, psychosis, etc.) and really does give them more depth and reason than just the label of "Oh, he’s crazy, he should be sent to an asylum" It gives progression, it puts the reader inside the mind of the mental man, through this one journal and helps us understand him. I think this was a beautifully written story and deserves a score that gives the author praise for his work.

  349. I had to read this outloud to my friends Ella and Tob, needless to say my jaw is now hurting me, a lot. It was worth it though! The ending really made me think, and atleast 2 of us enjoyed it, Tob didn’t seem to understand. 10/10 :)

  350. props to you man. you have one hell of a gift for this my freind. not dissing creepy pasta, but I dont think a sight like this does this story justice. take this a publisher,cause id buy a story like this in a heartbeat.

  351. This has to be the longest pasta I’ve ever read and absolutely the best. It’s 5:35am right now and I’ve been having the weirdest feeling since I started reading. I looked through the site and saw this was the best rated pasta and I see why. The only thing I can say is that first of all I don’t want to stop typing because I’m afraid and don’t know what to do next, but seriously, I really feel I can relate to this pasta so much.. I feel like I’m the only person in this world who begins to vision impossible things unfold at random moment for no reason or sometimes I feel like I’m some type of special important person that’s smarter than everyone else or that I’m always paranoid as well as the protagonist here was.. I feel so relieved knowing I’m not the only person who is always doubting something or someone for no reason.

  352. This is great, it really is. It’s similar to all of the paranoid thoughts that I’ve had about being the only real person, and everything else is just a simulation. I don’t even know. It’s hard to stay sane. Or insane?

  353. I f**king love this one. It actually made me have a dream where I was the person who was getting…I don’t know…maybe attacked, I guess.

  354. I don’t understand, is this about people becoming paranoid over the advances of technology, or in this odd world is what this "insane" John believes true. I rated it 5/10, but if someone could explain it to me I might rethink my vote. I really want to get it because of all of the positive reviews.

    1. In my opinion, I believe that this story is meant to be interpreted by the reader as they see fit. On one hand, the protagonist could be completely right in his belief that something had taken over the minds of people, and he was the lone person who managed to save himself. Although, I believe he had just gone "insane", from what I gathered in those last few lines. The "nerve filaments" referred to by the doctor, could have been literal nerves, attached from the brain to his eyes. However, they could also have been from another entity, that is controlling him. That is the true brilliance of this story, it could be interpreted in many ways, that each completely change the meaning. Again, the notion that he went insane was most potent (for lack of a better word) in my mind, because it gave a realism to this tale. But, it should be left up to you to decide what the significance of those last lines were.

  355. I absolutely fell in love with this story. Though my affection for it may not be what most people experience or expect. I was able to relate to this story fairly closely, and feel a good bit of empathy because I felt like I knew the man.

    About 6 months ago, I spent some time in a mental hospital, during my stay there, a fellow patient was a paranoid psychotic. His previous job was a programmer with a US government contract. Reading this story so much reminded me of him, making the empathy I felt for your character brilliant.

    Excellent pasta, if I do say so myself.

  356. After reading this I was reminded of this statement "In a mad world, only the mad are sane", which perfectly fits this fine dish. This pasta, it deserves an 11/10.

  357. Very, very good short story. It’s great how you feel as if you are the character, in such a way that you know exactly legitimate his newfound fear of technology (or any sort of receptors, to be more specific) is. I still don’t fully understand the ending though. Though with such a complex idea, I suppose your perception of the ending would be much different than my perception. Very good story. I’d absolutely LOVE to read more of your work.

  358. I found myself relating to this story because I know what it is like to go days on end with very little or no human contact and being stuck up in your house. It gets really lonely, depressing, and you do start to act like this guy, doing your best to remain calm and try to contact people without coming off as desperate or annoying. I can’t even begin to fully describe what it was like for me when my parents were away for two weeks, with most of my friends at 4 year colleges (I’m at a community one for now) and with the ones who were at home, only one said that they would come over but never did. It wasn’t a one time thing either, it kept happening again and again, with this person giving no explanation as to why and this person finally said to me "stop pestering me. My not getting back to you means I don’t want to talk to you." That was the only real contact I had for those two weeks so I can really relate to the narrator’s feeling of cabin fever. 10/10.

  359. One of the best pastas. It made me wonder where this was going for the longest time, until I reached the end. Very nice.

  360. Dude, bravo to you! You showed that a story doesn’t have to be scary, to be creepy. I believe that you truly deserve, a genuine 10/10. Remember to make stories as long as they need to, so they make this the best. Once again, bravo. And keep up-

  361. Really,really good.Not just the best creepypasta ever,but also one of my favourite short stories of all time( including Jeffrey Archer and P.G.Wodehouse).A work of art that should seriously be published.

  362. CreepyPastaLover

    10/10, love it, I know this isn’t 2010 like the rest of the comments but I don’t really care, great pasta!

  363. so he was being deceived by being told he wasn’t being deceived? Mind = blown. But on a more serious note, so his insane theories were correct? Can someone be so kind as to explain.

    1. Yes, his theories were correct. If you really want to know, look at the single sentence in between the two paragraphs in the conclusion and read the two paragraphs right after. That’s how I got the ending. Now the question is, am I deceiving you?

  364. Morgan Butler-Kerridge

    That was a really great pasta, the ending was a tiny bit predictable, but hey! What are you going to do? I really enjoyed that man!

  365. I almost went insane while reading this story.Every thing said, It’s all so… e_e And the ending… </3 Fucking amazing story..

  366. I found this entire pasta just… brilliant.
    i had gone through a small case of cabin fever a while back and this actually reminded me of that feeling of despair and heelplessness. good job.

  367. I have not read all of the comments, however when he first had the thoughts that he was being deceived I hoped that he was right.

    I started to lose hope in my wanting for a story of a regular man’s plight in an overwhelmingly bleak and unlikely situation when he was captured (I thought if they were actually aliens, then they would take him forcefully from his room and do what they needed).

    But I still hoped – I hoped that this insanity was not for naught; that there really is that one guy out there who is just that little bit more on the believer side than the rest of society if a situation like this did happen.

    I loved the idea of him being the “thorn in the side”, but when he proclaimed himself a hero, I almost gave in to the insanity bit – almost as if I wanted him to be insane rather than to go through such an ordeal.

    Then came the ending.

    The continuous questioning of reality via our perception of it through our eyes was done well to great effect, even down to the description of the alien manipulating the eyes of the victim.

    This story didn’t give me what I wanted or expected; it gave me what I needed. 9.7/10

    Bravo

  368. I love how it didn’t end with him just being crazy, but it instead it turns out that he eally was being targeted by a being.

  369. My fear was that the devil was on my shoulders trying to make me decieve other people, but it was only decieving me. He gave me gifts of telling when people will die.

  370. I enjoy this short story. Haha, I have psychosis and the fears are almost similar. I’m at a psyche ward. Very good description. Quite long, but worth it. Keep it up. :)

  371. taken away by the sheer descriptiveness of how his opinion of reality can scare the shit out of you, 10/10 AMAZING AND CREEPY

  372. Amazing. Some delicious pasta right here. The main characters tendencies and habits really did seem to picture him as insane. Great ending. Long but enjoyable read.

  373. Like seriously I got that feeling when something pops out at you. Except it’s been 10 minutes and the feeling hasn’t gone away

  374. My jaw literally dropped when i read “After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago.” This was amazing! 100000000000/10

  375. Just your regular fangirl

    Well this is going to sound weird but while I Was reading this I automatically thought about John from the Sherlock bbc series :P
    He was probably hiding from Sherlock

  376. Reminds me a bit of The Matrix and, if you’re into philosophy, it’s a litlle bit like Rene Descarte’s “Evil Deciever” Theory.
    Delicious pasta. I could eat another three platefuls.

  377. This is probably one of the best creepypasta’s I’ve ever read! It’s long but the ending really tied it up together. I think it’s also great that it gives you this creepy feeling but not so scary that you can’t go to sleep. Very well written too!

  378. hell, this is the best pasta i’ve ever read!! the story is unusual but well-written. the details is match the others perfectly!
    10/10

  379. This creepy pasta was very good, in my opinion. It was excellent until the last part. like in the middle of the story you have the sensation that you dont really know whats goingon and i think it would have been better if the writter had kept that feeling till the end. The story was boss until the last part.

  380. This is the top-rated pasta? It was skillfully written, but I did not find it creepy or interesting, and I like a long story but this seemed drawn-out, it was just tons of seemingly-ridiculous paranoia and then a twist.

  381. Hello everyone, this one is a pretty good story. Good anyone tell me how could I talk with the author of this? I would like to make a game inspired from this story.

  382. He gouged his eyes out. I tried to plead with him, but he did. He keeps going on about how we’re all part of a deceiver, but he is wrong! We arn’t. IT IS TRUE. I love him, but he says I’m one of them. He needs help, but he won’t accept it! LIES. HE IS RESISTING. He doesn’t believe me. But he should! If he believes me, it’ll all be okay. THEY’LL ONLY HURT HIM. He’ll only keep hurting himself and me… DON’T BELIEVE. SEEN WITH YOUR EYES.

  383. Oh yeah. And the thing where he says, “Not that it matters. What am I going to do? Poke my eyes out? The bandages feel like part of me now.” I think he did gouge his eyes out. Because, in the story, he says his hearing sharpened, and he lives in darkness. I think that means he did gouge his eyes out.

  384. It was a really great story. At first, I was thinking that it was a story about some man being driven insane by paranoia, but the end… It was perfect. I had to reread it over and over to understand what happened: The people are real. But they have no control. What I want to know is if some of the things actually are delusions, like, is Amy one?

  385. Later, a scientist guy named Freeman, an army guy named Shephard and a bartender named Desmond teamed up together, killed the entity and saved the human race. The End :)

  386. Why are some people saying he gouged out his eyes? It doesn’t say that he did that anywhere. Does it? I mean he even says “Not that it matters. What am I going to do? Poke my eyes out? The bandages feel like part of me now.” Doesn’t that mean that he just put bandages over his eyes? Or maybe I missed something…. Explain please, thanks ^_^

  387. watching, waiting. always waiting, feeding on fear, feeding until full. don’t let it get full. as long as it has hunger, you have life

  388. I liked it alot, although to be honest I don’t really understand it. I understood until right near the end where he was going to open the door and let it take him. I’m not sure if it has something to do with the title or if I’m not witty enough.

  389. Cyber-Psychosis saved him. The paranoid nature of his illness created the perfect strategist against the deceivers. Destroying his own eyes permanently prevented the deceivers from getting to him.

  390. Wow, that was an incredible read! This is possibly my favorite pasta so far. I have it stuck in my head. The ending was very creepy. brrrrr!

  391. Seriously – the best pasta I have EVER read. Ever. I’m not even going to point out all the things about it which are so amazing. I’ll just say that it’s absolutely genius and in a way I kind of wish I hadn’t read it, because now I’m totally freaking out about everything – I cant sleep – and I’m questioning everything too xD And I think that’s the true measurement of how good a story is – if it has the ability to really affect the reader this much, it must have something special, something in the plot which is do utterly brilliant and something about the story – be it in the way it’s written or something else – which is do vivid somehow and so gripping.

    Without a shadow of a doubt I give this 10/10. Completely amazing ^ ^

    Also lived it because it didn’t use any cliches, very original.

  392. Excellent. Beautifully written. Wonderfully executed. The ending was perfect. You have a gift, dear sir. Simply marvelous.

  393. Excellent story. I loved it. Although you could have stopped at “After all, a sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago.”. This would have been enough. Your story does not need such a broad explanation at the end.

  394. Brilliantly written, I adore this story. The only criticism I can give it would be that I couldn’t relate to the speaker for the first half of the story. As an introvert, bookworm & hermit, not speaking to or seeing anyone face to face for a couple days – even weeks – wouldn’t make me lose my s**t or begin to question reality.

  395. Do you read Stephen King? Because this writing style, physical descriptions melded with incoherent thought denoted by italics, is reminiscent of It.

  396. I’ve read several creepypasta stories and never really been scared by one, this one was just awesome. The fact that this onset of extreme paranoia could actually happen (and has probably happened) to people makes this such an unsettling and chilling read. You keep hoping that the protagonist is going to “snap out of it” and open the door, but he just sinks farther and farther into his psychotic delusions.

    Great job :) !

  397. InsanityIsABeautifulThing

    I love stories about people who go insane<3 it always fascinates me how people's fears can turn into paranoia and really effect where they end up. ^___^

  398. This shows someone has talent and has done their research. The ending twists, the atmosphere are done perfectly and this shows a little-known medical condition called the Fregoli Delusion that I think may have been an inspiration. It causes people to believe that some or all people are imposters. Anyway, what has two thumbs and rated ten out of ten?

  399. Nice story, I am not sure but i think the last paragraph was added later, because if the last paragraph was not there, then hes completly crazy, its the last paragraph that justifies his will.
    This story shows how a normal person like us can be turned insane. Insanity is just another reality with its own set of rules. Its easy to get our mind trapped there and never ever return… why should we? we are perfectly normal its everyone that is insane :D.

  400. I’m also in the ones that thought the poor guy was just nuts. Loved the twist in the end, it made the long read completely worth it.

    Excellent job!

  401. REPLY TO OH SHI-:
    The guy’s paranoia saved him from going outside and being controlled by the electronic “entities” like the other people had been.

  402. OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. THAT CREEPED ME OUT SO MUCH. I’m on the computer all the time and rarely come out of my house. I’m mildly paranoid. And I usually don’t talk to people. OAO
    On the plus side… someone should totally make this into a movie! I would definitely pay to see this made into a movie. Fantabulicosastic job! ^_^

  403. it annoys me when people say the stories aren’t “scary”. they aren’t supposed to be scary, they’re supposed to be creepy, make you doubt yourself and your surroundings, make you think about things that could or might be possible. fuck people are annoying

  404. Enjoyable, suspenseful, and well-written. The only thing I would have changed is to make the ending open for interpretation.

  405. i didnt get the ending, can someone please explain it better?
    all i got was, he became insane, and that saved him?
    you can dislike this to oblivion, but i just need help.

  406. I have anxiety and what I think is psychotic depression so I can relate to this story very well. I only hope it doesn’t happen to me…

  407. Witch King of Angmar

    This story would have been near perfect if it not were for that stupid last paragraph. Honestly, it was unnecessary and, frankly, anticlimactic. It spoiled and overall incredibly well-constructed story.

  408. This could actually make a pretty good movie, if it was executed exactly the way it’s written here, so the viewer would be completely convinced the guy just gone insane up until the very last bit
    In fact, I might just adapt this into a comic, because it’s so brilliant

  409. This was absolutely captivating from beginning to end! Best pasta I have ever devoured! Reading through it, I thought I knew the ending. Ends up in an asylum, doomed to be crazy forever, et cetera. And even with what I assumed would be a predictable ending, it was still just magnificent. But that ending…agh, 10/10! Just so unreal! This wasn’t just a read, this was an experience. I’m feeling paranoid myself right about now. Just phenomenal. Bravo!

  410. Here’s how that ending was so beautiful, and one of my favorite parts of the story:
    It begins in such a misleading way, guiding you to think that John was really insane. Similar in some ways how the alien-phantom leads victims to believe nothing is wrong. But suddenly, it takes such a beautiful turn with the following sentence, that forced me to read it at least three times, for EVERYTHING I had thought up to that point was wrong, also in some ways similar to John’s revelations as the story progresses. Fantastic story, every bit of it was phenomenal.

  411. This was AMAZING. i really like the ending bc it comes of more as a wait which is it. is he right or is he wrong bc it is kinda vage. I have to say i loved this sooo much. i feel sorry for the guy though. My only dissapointment is that this hasnt been published as an actual short story bc it would sell so well. If the author does read my comment i really hope he considers trying to ge this published. Its sooo good

  412. This was really good. Every time that he would piece something together, I would try to piece it together myself. This was well written, very imaginative, and makes me never want to move into a basement apartment. Well done.

  413. And so, trapped in a padded cell without his vision or his sanity, the man will continue to believe the machines have trapped him…in the Twilight Zone. Nee nee nee nee nee nee nee nee…

  414. Wow. Not much else to say that hasn’t already been said. I absolutely loved this story. As I read more and more I grew… Paranoid. I was locked up in a room typing a paper with absolutely no human contact and about the same cell signal… Wonderful.
    Thank you for writing.

  415. This story was simply amazing. It had a very disturbing and unsettling atmosphere, without inducing true terror. The longer I read the more and more paranoid I myself became. You really did a great job of making the reader feel what was going on. And the slow gradual descent into insanity and out of a sane mind. For years I have pondered what it would feel like to actually be insane, and I think I know now. You don’t know, you don’t understand that you yourself are insane, but that everything else is broken. Odd, and misshapen.
    This story is in away like a article, a look into the mind of the broken. And for that, I believe you deserve a huge amount of praise. Not only for a good scary story, but an overall captivating experience.
    10/10

  416. When it was nearing towards the end, I thought for sure it was a plot twist where he actually went insane and none of that was really happening, and it showed me just how people go insane. Then another twist where it WAS actually happening! GENIUS

  417. Not sure I completely understood the ending, or what exactly he did to his eyes (like did he stab them with a pencil or something, gouge them out completely…?) and I kind of wish that the thing, the entity, whatever it was, had been explained just a LITTLE more clearly, like maybe something about it could’ve been added in at the end when it was talking about the doctor who was being controlled by it, but other than those few things, this was great! I’d give it either a 7 or an 8 out of 10.

  418. Beyond Birthday

    I knew it!!!!!!!!
    Well…wait so basically… this story means…THE CAKE IS A LIE!?
    Just k idding

  419. Wow, just wow. That was a very good read. I just need to go out side now just to get rid of this paranoia. 10/10

  420. It took me a while to figure out the ending, but when i did, the whole story made sense and it gave me chills through the entire upper-half of my body… even as i’m writing this comment right now..

  421. This is one of the few pastas that has actually shaken me. especially considering every once in awhile, I get the feeling that somethings not right, and if I go out, I’ll never come back. I hear something or read something, or am told something, and everything comes together in a suspicious way.

  422. This story was a long one and at times confusing and know i am thinking what if this world we live in is all a lie? Overall i need to give this story a 9/10. Great job Gar.

  423. that was really good, i dont read many of these and this is admitedly my second read. but it was a good spent 20 minutes. nice use of imagry and symbolism

  424. omnomnomnomnomnomnom. This pasta was delicious, perfectly cooked, great sauce, and a really amazing aftertaste! :D The last paragraph was just… wow. Plus comparing eyes with a camera, THAT, my friend, is genius.
    12/10

  425. Holy smokes, this pasta is pipin’ hot! The beginning sucked me right in because I’ve had those programming days at, wouldn’t you know it, a computer lab in the basement of one of the oldest concrete buildings on campus (I don’t know who’s the genius that decided a basement is a good place for 30+ functional, expensive computers, but that’s a whole different pasta). I wouldn’t even notice people coming and going till I just look up and find myself the only person left in the “dungeon”. I’d go in at 2pm and emerge 10 to 14 hours later, walking through the empty hallways with locked, orange doors at both sides and the occassional flickering fluorescent bulb, and hearing sounds that one can hear only in the dead of night with no one else around…

    Well, at least I’ve never locked myself in there and gouged out my own eyes.

  426. FAITHINSCIENCE

    BEST.CREEPYPASTA.EVER. It builds up tension, is 100 percent realistic, has a magnificent setup and great storytelling. Only one thing: I wouldve really really loved to know who the entity actually was and how it possesed electronics.

  427. the hash slinging slasher

    blew. my. mind. Seriously, this is probably the best story ive ever read. it was really unpredictable. now excuse me, i have to go smash all of my electronics ^___^

  428. Jones Tereka Seasight

    Wow. This was really great.

    I…don’t have the longest attention span, so long pastas aren’t usually a big thing for me. But this…this was just completely awesome.

  429. this particular pasta i’ve both read and heard a youtube reading of. one of the best. leaves me a little paranoid though haha

  430. The author, Matt Dymerski, is selling this story as well as 12 others in the name of the title for only $2.99 on amazon. I read this story a while ago and wanted to see if he had other stories. He also has a website, just google his name. Anyway the book is really interesting and has other good ones in there as well besides this one.

  431. this is an amazing short story. i cant believe how well you put us inside the mind of John and how he is able to rationalize something so absurd. I read the whole story while listening to music box tunes with rain in the background witch made me feel as if i just found the journal lying in his room next to the music box. without a doubt one of the most amazing short stories i have read, i only wish i had writing talent like this 10/10

  432. Wow, this is brilliant! The whole time I read it I was unsure of which was the truth, and the end tied it together perfectly. Absolutely brilliant, 10/10

  433. LutherBlackjack

    I feel I should ask for the sake of appreciating this pasta further. Am I to understand that the time he spent roaming about did not yield any human contact? If so, was there no one in the hotel besides him? Just curious. Otherwise, it was a great, enthralling story. I’m glad I read the comments that indicated how worthwhile the reading was, because I thoroughly enjoyed this. :D

  434. Absolutely stunning. This is the first story I’ve read on this site and I love it! It was difficult to keep a stable opinion on whether he was insane or whether he was right. Up until the end I didn’t quite consider that he could be both. Extremely suspenseful and exciting all the way through.
    10/10

  435. i found this pasta absolutely fascinating because the thoughts and considerations of the protagonist are all too familiar to me, and i like how it lets people face the possibility that their perception is wrong and the person we call crazy, and whom ultimately is crazy, could be right.
    9.5/10

  436. Simply said- THE BEST PASTA I HAVE EVER READ! Good grammar, good story, lots of little clues that lead up to an amazing twist ending. I would give this story it’s own category- Amazing.

  437. This was very well done. I was believing that something really was going on outside. Very well written. This one has actually inspired me to write, and that doesn’t happen often.

  438. Ah, nothing like the human mind to conjure up extreme paranoia. I almost the man was actually insane… but the doctor left me a little skeptical of the man’s paranoia o_o

  439. This was possibly one of my favorite pastas, even moreso because I AM the main character, in a way. It wasn’t a basement, but up until recently I was living in a building with all the windows save for those of my room mates’ rooms covered or replaced with boards instead, and they were really the only people I saw. I had to be coaxed into leaving.

    I also have moments like when he opened the door and then bolted into his room. Often when I leave a room (especially a dark room with a mirror) I’ll feel a shiver down my spine. If I’m with people, I’ll act like I’ve never felt cooler, but if I’m alone, i will bolt and close the door behind me like a little girl.

  440. THAT WAS AMAZING!!! 10/10!! i loved that story especially how it started out with just being a little bit paranoid then it got worse and worse until he was completely whacked out! SO AMAZING!! ONE OF THE BEST PASTAS IVE EVER READ!

  441. You are a god. Best pasta i have ever read 10/10 completely unexpected ending but now the madness is gonna rub off on me since i’m always thinking like john.
    Seriously awesome bro!:D

  442. Beautifully horrifying, loved the whole thing, sad thing is i realized I am like the protagonist, I would probably do the same things he did, this was an awesome pasta, hope for more.

  443. it seems like a lot of people don’t really understand the part with the doctor… how the doctor still had his conscious thoughts and wants, but he couldn’t pursue them because the ‘deception’ had gotten and taken control of him, and that john was actually correct… a lot of people are saying they feel bad for john and hope it doesn’t happen to them and blah blah when john actually got the better end of the deal :/

    so obviously that needed to be a little clearer, but otherwise 10/10

  444. Wait..so everybody I see..everybody I know..couldn’t be real?

    Oh fuck.

    (I know it’s a story >_>)

  445. wow… that. is. incredible!

    I\’m probably going to be more paranoid just from reading about him being paranoid… (to be honest I already get scared of walking past a open doorway where the room inside is dark…)

  446. wow… that. is. incredible!

    I’m probably going to be more paranoid just from reading about him being paranoid… (to be honest I already get scared of walking past a open doorway where the room inside is dark…)

  447. this really hit home for me. My name is Amy and my besy friend has an anxity disorder. He acctually sends me random messages to make sure the world is the way it is supposed to be. I am sometimes his only anchor to stability in this world.
    He can never read this storey. I know it would be a huge trigger for him

  448. Loved the writing style and the amazing insight into his personality. I will definately recomend this. Also, I shat bracks.

  449. @ Anon. Uuh, unless you hadn\’t read it correctly, you would know he clawed his own eyes out of the sockets, because he came to the conclusion that they were watching him from his very own eyes. Come on, it wasn\’t vague at all. Read it again, if it was so confusing. ;/

  450. @ Anon. Uuh, unless you hadn’t read it correctly, you would know he clawed his own eyes out of the sockets, because he came to the conclusion that they were watching him from his very own eyes. Come on, it wasn’t vague at all. Read it again, if it was so confusing. ;/

  451. I have GOT to say, out of every pasta that I have read so far, this one is probably my very favorite. It’s terribly long, but entirely worth it. I adore how the story was composed. I felt myself switching back from thoughts that he was only paranoid, to thoughts that something or someone was really watching him. This scared the hell out of me, and I’m pretty sure I was constantly checking over my shoulder as I read it.
    I love these sort of stories.
    Good fucking job, thank you so much for the brilliant read.

    10/10 Awesome Pasta is awesome.

  452. I love this story, I have had experience with these sort of panic attacks (though none lasted nearly this long) and I think the thoughts and feelings were conveyed perfectly, however I feel that the last part, while wrapping it up as a supernatural story was unneeded and kind of ruined the ‘Is it real or isn’t it?’ question that the rest of story seemed to ask.

  453. I love this story, I have had experience with these sort of panic attacks (though none lasted nearly this long) and I think the thoughts and feelings were conveyed perfectly, however I feel that the last part, while wrapping it up as a supernatural story was unneeded and kind of ruined the “Is it real or isn’t it?” question that the rest of story seemed to ask.

  454. Russianopasta.

    Didn\’t anyone watch those Outer Limits TV series? Episode called \"Dead Man\’s Switch\" had exactly the same kind of ending. And the whole plot was very similar to this one too…. location was more scifi than this one.

  455. Russianopasta.

    Didn’t anyone watch those Outer Limits TV series? Episode called “Dead Man’s Switch” had exactly the same kind of ending. And the whole plot was very similar to this one too…. location was more scifi than this one.

  456. That pasta was scrumptious! Loved the ending! I expected it to end something like that and I can say that I am quite pleased! The length almost made it not worth it, but I was definitely not disappointed.
    9.5 out of 10

  457. very good, not often in popular media do we hear the tales of madness from the madman himself, this is a great attempt

  458. great story i was really into it but my mom came in my room and ruin it but shorty after i got into it again :) i cant stop reading these great stories and at the same time im getting frighten everytime i read one >o<

  459. I don\’t particularly mind long pastas, but all the same, I have to say that (unfortunately) I wasn\’t really impressed.

    Maybe it\’s just a matter of personal preference or difference in writing style, but I felt like the story was much to loose/a little all over the place, and for me that didn\’t add anything positive (as I imagine it might have for some), ambiance-wise, to the story.

    The scattered quality pulled me out of it, and caused me to have to fight to keep interest. I didn\’t feel like the ending made up for it, as I was hoping/anticipating it would.

    Although all in all, not a bad read necessarily. I just wasn\’t as enamored as some of the other readers.

  460. I don’t particularly mind long pastas, but all the same, I have to say that (unfortunately) I wasn’t really impressed.

    Maybe it’s just a matter of personal preference or difference in writing style, but I felt like the story was much to loose/a little all over the place, and for me that didn’t add anything positive (as I imagine it might have for some), ambiance-wise, to the story.

    The scattered quality pulled me out of it, and caused me to have to fight to keep interest. I didn’t feel like the ending made up for it, as I was hoping/anticipating it would.

    Although all in all, not a bad read necessarily. I just wasn’t as enamored as some of the other readers.

  461. I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I could have. Yes, the ending was clever I don’t deny that, but somehow the way the main character spots all these “odd” things seems too far off. Everytime he found yet another “odd” thing I actually sighed.

    Someone already said that the ending was a bit sloppy and I agree, it also felt a bit rushed. Perhaps it was just the amount of revelations in the end that made it seem rushed, I’m not sure.

    In short, nice concept and story but the main character seemed too perfect.

  462. I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I could have. Yes, the ending was clever I don’t deny that, but somehow the way the main character spots all these “odd” things seems too far off. Everytime he found yet another “odd” thing I actually sighed.
    Someone already said that the ending was a bit sloppy and I agree, it also felt a bit rushed. Perhaps it was just the amount of revelations in the end that made it seem rushed, I’m not sure.

    In short, nice concept and story but the main character seemed too perfect.

  463. OH. MY. GOD.

    That was awesome.
    Half way through, I already loved it, but at the end, when he revealed it was REAL, and he WASN\’T just crazy, made it even more epic. While it would have been scarier to leave it at a \"what if?\", that\’s been done to death and this is just… fan-fucking-tastic.

    999999999999999999999999999999999/10

  464. OH. MY. GOD.

    That was awesome.
    Half way through, I already loved it, but at the end, when he revealed it was REAL, and he WASN’T just crazy, made it even more epic. While it would have been scarier to leave it at a “what if?”, that’s been done to death and this is just… fan-fucking-tastic.

    999999999999999999999999999999999/10

  465. Man I loved this pasta, read this about a few months ago and just reread it now. Definitely one of my favorite stories on this whole website. Nice build-up and progression, the eye theme could’ve been emphasized a bit more but still great. The ending made the whole thing come together. If the guy turned out to be just crazy the pasta would’ve been only decent in my opinion, but he was right all along, and that makes him a hero.

  466. Then the doctor opened the door
    got on the floor
    and did the dinosuar
    and replaced the dudes eyes with waffles
    and they lived happily ever waffle.

  467. Once I started reading I really had no choice. Delicious Pasta. Frightening how deeply connections can be formed…

  468. Once I started reading I really had no choice. Delicious Pasta. Frightening how deeply connections can be formed.

  469. This is a seriously great story. Like a lot of people have said, this would make a great full-length story. This is just really amazing writing, in your personal style, and in grammar. I actually got a bit paranoid, I looked out the windows and stuff until I saw some kids across the street. Perfect example of a five star story though. Keep up the good writing!

  470. I do like it! Sent a chill down my spine. But, I spent most of it thinking it was a poor attempt to make me think there would be a grand ending when there wouldn’t be. But that just tied it together so well! My favourite pasta so far :) x

  471. Nice job. One of the better creepypastas I’ve read. With a little work this could make a publishable short story.

  472. the best pasta i have a ever read, i love how it made you feel close to john and start to feel what he feels.

    I also like how it was more emotional and sad than it scared the shit out of me. 5/5 fucking amazing bro

  473. I\’m a newcommer to creepy pasta but out of the stories I have read this is one that I can easily say is the best…. I feel like this story has serious potential to be a great book

  474. I’m a newcommer to creepy pasta but out of the stories I have read this is one that I can easily say is the best…. I feel like this story has serious potential to be a great book

  475. Pretty good. Though the sudden leap to completely crazy at the end disappoints me. Most people in mental institutions aren\’t really tied up in padded rooms, and this guy doesn\’t seem suicidal, or at least the desire to commit suicide doesn\’t appear anywhere. Also the end is a bit vague I think. Is he not really crazy and all his suspicions are true? Either I need more sleep or the wording is a bit confusing.

  476. Pretty good. Though the sudden leap to completely crazy at the end disappoints me. Most people in mental institutions aren’t really tied up in padded rooms, and this guy doesn’t seem suicidal, or at least the desire to commit suicide doesn’t appear anywhere. Also the end is a bit vague I think. Is he not really crazy and all his suspicions are true? Either I need more sleep or the wording is a bit confusing.

  477. Nice Pasta. I’ll recommend people read this. Superb, indeed. However, it made my bf question my existence, right after he read this…But that is all just water under the bridge, now.

  478. DELICIOUS pasta, wonderfully cooked. This pasta was pure genious. The build up was absolutely INCREDIBLE.

    FANTASTIC Job (:

  479. Wow, this was an intense story, i LOVED it, i had a hard time not looking over my shoulder while reading this, i was quite creeped during most of it. And the ENDING! was so unexpected and very original, this was a beautiful display of irony and writing talent. BRAVO! 10/10

  480. AndroidsDreamOfElectricSheep

    Wow. You wrote that so well, that I actually flipped the webcam on my laptop around out of paranoia. Honestly, if you could get onto a movie producer, you’d be on to a winner. Oh, and this is mandatory:

    Brickz wuz shat.

  481. Amazing! I loved this :D It was beautifully written, and had the perfect amount of crazyness (;

    But wait, the ending, does that mean he wasn\’t crazy, and it was all real?! Gahhh……

  482. I really liked this pasta. I’ve never heard of cyber-psychosis before…very interesting and unique topic to touch upon, especially in a horror story. It was long but not boring at all–not a dull moment, even though there was no ‘OMG’ scenes.

  483. I honestly had a hard time going to sleep the night I read this.

    The main reason I like this so much is that in a few parts it preys on my fear of seeing something horrible on the side of the door. It’s something that constantly nags at the back of my mind. Also, the ending. THE ENDING. Aw man, this was too fabulous. 10/10

  484. Loved it! :D The story was complete with no major flaws to complain about. :3 Simply put, it was a beautiful and flavorful pasta masterpiece.

  485. Amazing. Truly amazing.

    Loved how it ended otherwise!
    The main character had many great charactristics. It was great when he figured out that Amy was a fake, and she was listening to him on the other side of the webcam to found out one of they’re moments together. And the man who called only asked for John’s name, to get even more evidence to convience that Amy is the real one. And Amy tried getting him to leave so that those creatures could gain control of him. This is proven that they’re are creatures taking control of all the humans in the end.

  486. The way I see (no pun intended) the ending:

    The man was right to be afraid, all of the other peoples eyes had been taken out and replaced with nerve controlling wires. He was possibly the last man on earth who hadnt fallen victim to the unknown entity that lurked on the edges of nothingness.

    Mama Mia! This pasta wasa 9/10’a!

  487. Loved it. The guy is insane, but he really isn’t insane because he is right, but because he is insane he is saved. Awesome mind f**k/ catch 22 scenario

  488. Purely ashtonishing! Love\’d it all the way through and the ending, like mentioned above, tied it all together perfectly! One of the best I\’ve read here!

  489. Read this one while alone in the apartment… thank goodness my husband was on lunch break so I could call him! I made him prove he was him by describing in detail something we had privately discussed earlier this morning and had not mentioned otherwise… This pasta was just too good, freaked me out. Definite 10/10…. Or should we be using the 5-star system based on the pasta/dining theme? 5 stars!

  490. like my fat, Italian Grandmother’s home cookin’, i could nom this pasta again and again.
    10/10
    Italian Grandma would be proud :3

  491. This was a perfect short story.

    As a creepypasta, it was okay. More “psychological thriller” than “creepy,” but I am alright with that. It’s nice to see that people know how to write still- grammar, spelling, that kind of thing.

  492. I had to read this entire pasta twice to finally get it, and the second time I picked up on what I skipped the first. There was so many times when I thought he was being crazy and stupid, but then the evidence he gave was so fortifying to the idea of an electrical entity! I missed the meaning of the last paragraph at the end, but now I get it! This is my favorite pasta, absolutely original. The perfect turns of this story was A M A Z I N G. 10/10 ~ Aldente!

  493. BattKattColourBlak

    Excellent pasta! My friend was reading this to me over the phone; at the end of it we both went ‘waaaaaaaaaaaaat?’
    Excellent, excellent pasta. Most delicious! 100/10

  494. Mmmm good Pasta. Great story and good ending but the story kinda wanted me to believe that it was real rather than him actually being insane. Wanted to believe that there was an entity and somehow he would have to break out and save Amy from the entity too. But even though it went in the other direction (which was very good) It ended the story very well. Enjoyed the pasta. 10/10

  495. TL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DRTL;DR

  496. Really really good! I found myself completely unsure of whether he was really just insane or whether the coincidences were actually part of a sinister plan, just like the character was. I was jumping back and forth and you kept me guessing til the end. 10/10 :)

  497. How do I know this is real?! YOU CAN’T FOOL ME, STORY! I KNOW YOU’RE NOT BASED ON REAL LIFE! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

  498. This pasta was friggen\’ genius. I loved the buildup and it was very clever. My only suggestions are the following:

    It would be a little more creepy if the whole pasta was more eye-themed. The e-mail and eye-webcam comparison were good, but I feel like the bulk of the pasta could\’ve had some more eye theme to it, being that the climax of the story revolves around them.

    The last entry and the doctor part seem a little sloppy. I can see you\’re trying to make it seem like the \"sane\" people are being deceived by their eyes, but I think it could\’ve been executed better.

    Overall, great pasta. Definitely one of my favorites, it\’s new and original, with a really awesome concept and clever details. 9/10

  499. very enjoyable pasta, with or without the ending. i really do appreciate it having an ending, though – saves all the debates about “was he crazy?” “no, there was something out there!” etc, etc.

    i’ll probably be petrified tonight as i try to sleep, but for now they can stare at my ugly mug. i think (in response to an earlier reply) that whatever “they” are, they can’t actually read what’s on your computer, just watch you through it.

    gouging his eyes out may have damaged the optic nerves too much for the creature to get him. that doesn’t explain why they’re still holding him, though…maybe to convince him to accept “treatment”?

    one plot hole that bothered me…i know it’s a key point that he’s all alone, but where the hell was everyone else? having a huge “we’re all taken over” party? why were they incapable of getting in the front door? wouldn’t his landlady have her keys (and subsequently, the creature(s) taking over her)?

  500. Not a very rememberable ending, and it kinda confused me at first.
    But maybe i\\\’m just stupid. xD
    I still luuuurved it though. 10/10

  501. This pasta made me shit. EVERYWHERE. By far the best story i\’ve ever read, it really gets you thinking, it starts to make you think holy shit, what if im crazy too? xD

  502. My god, this story is perfect. I got sucked into this mans world, it was a total mindfuck. Well, more like mindrape. There were so many twists, and the fact that he fought his thoughts with logic just added to the theme of his insanity. The story was so vivid with imagery, it’s amazing someone could write it. 200/10

  503. I love how the only negative complaints have the implication of, “It’s awesome but I bet I’ll look cool by acting like I knew what was going to happen! I R TEH JENIUZ! :B”

  504. I was absolutely engulfed in this story and my whole body just stopped when I got to the ending! It was an AMAZING pasta!

  505. @anon saying I didn’t see it coming
    I’m not trying to take anything from anyone. I did see it, but only because my mind anticipates the least likely end as the one that will happen. I am wrong about it much more often than I am right for this reason, but this is the ending I saw coming

  506. @alice, rather than breaking it you could put a piece of tape (perhaps with a little paper on the part that would actually be over the webcam so you don\’t get glue on it) over it, that way even if it was on the other person wouldn\’t see anything without you wanting them to.

  507. No Lucifer, you only had an idea of what the ending could be because there was no way for you to know. Don’t try taking credit from Gar because you think you’re clever. Anyways, GREAT PASTA 10/10

  508. The Pale Apparition

    Oh, and for the comment of one of the latest Anons: “So, basically, why is it that they can only get you when you see them? Is it a memetic agent? I\’m confused.”

    Did you spot the line saying “but the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes made him do otherwise.” ? From that I’d gather the being(s) needed actual physical contact to- quite literally- root themselves into one’s brain and, through that, to gain control of one’s body.

    Why it can’t be done now, when the man is ‘in their hands’? That’d be a question a bit harder to answer, but perhaps the being(s) need(s) a specific point, eyes, to access- and the narrator’s eyes have been ruined, as can be read out.

  509. The Pale Apparition

    Brilliant, just brilliant. All over this long time I could once more spot something which would actually impress me.

  510. Awesome. Truly. Well, written, I agree. This is an example of talent, as opposed to some of the pointless concoctions of words that appear on this site, passing themselves off as stories.

  511. 10/10

    Epic pasta! Easily one of the best ones on here.

    I like the way his slow descent into paranoia and insanity was the only thing that saved him in the slightest. It was very well written and had me guessing the whole way through, wondering if he’s insane or not. Loved the ending, it tied it up very nicely.

    On a side note, I’m off to break my computer’s built in webcam. It worries me more as I still don’t know how to use it, so I have no idea when it’s turned on and that makes me feel slightly paranoid too.

    Even so, the only thing threatening me at the moment is a cold -__-”

  512. 10/10

    Epic pasta! Easily one of the best ones on here.

    I like the way his slow descent into paranoia and insanity was the only thing that saved him in the slightest. It was very well written and had me guessing the whole way through, wondering if he’s insane or not. Loved the ending, it tied it up very nicely.

    On a side note, I’m off to break my computer’s built in webcam. It worries me more as I still don’t know how to use it, so I have no idea when it’s turned on and that makes me feel slightly paranoid too.

    Even so, the only thing threataning me at the moment is a cold -__-”

  513. That. Was. Amazing. Had me guessing how it would end the whole way through. First I thought it was post-apocalypse, then craziness, but oh my, that was brilliant. Scared the crap out of me too.

  514. Cannot be unseen.
    I loved this story very well written. Except, your thoughts are electrical impulses as well as your movements. So, basically, why is it that they can only get you when you see them? Is it a memetic agent? I\’m confused. They would, probably, be able to infect your brain through the empty holes in your face. Anyway. Thanks for the AMAZING story.

  515. Absolutely friggin’ flawless. I’m not sure weather I prefer it with or without the final paragraph; it’s lovely either way. The sense of tension that it breeds is incredible. Most horror stories make you question weather the paranormal elements are real, for a time, but this drags it out to an agonizing and wonderful degree. This is, in my undereducated opinion, professional quality horror you’re putting out here.

  516. I read the entire thing, went back, reread the last paragraph, went \"wat\", then shat brix. You deserve a medal, sir. 10/10, perfect pasta.

  517. Love it, but wasn’t this up here a while ago?

    I definitely remember reading it more than a week ago, and I don’t read many scary story sites beside this one.

  518. Loved it! I, like FrothyHam, had a schitzophrenic friend, and I have always thought that losing one’s mind, through madness, senility, brain injury, tumor or anything, must be the worst suffering there is. So, with this story, I would have been left very depressed if he’d just gone nuts. Bringing sci-fi in at the end enabled me to just enjoy the story. Now it’s not about real-life tragic people; it’s about devious aliens/parasites, which is WAY more fun! Aside from that subjective response, I also think it’s just plain good writing. But earlier posters have said all there is to say about that. 10/10 indeed!

  519. Have to agree with Sniper Joe on the names. John and Amy had my mind stuck on John Dies at the End pretty much the whole time. Luckily, it didn’t distract me too much from the story, and I was able to fully enjoy this. Excellent, excellent story. One of my all time favorites.

    10/10

  520. Yikes. I think I might be in love you with you, anonymous author. This was – fantastic. It created such an air of suspense; I kept telling myself, “you’re being ridiculous! I can’t believe you won’t open the door. This is silly. This is exactly how I feel after reading pastas… don’t worry. Just go outside.”

    Then the ending. Oh, it gave me chills! I think this is my new favorite pasta. 11 out of 10!

  521. …wow. Just…wow.

    Excellent pasta, creepy in that it <u>makes</u> you think and put yourself in the position of the protagonist. 10/10

  522. 10/10
    I saw the ending coming from the beginning, but could see how others would be expecting other ends. will eat again.

  523. I loved this story! Starts off slow, and slowely builds up, making you question your theories about whats happenening. The main character is somewhat relatable and the author made it so the character explains his feelings and thoughts quite clearly. You think \\&quot;oh hes just paranoid\\&quot;, till he points out various facts that make you question what exactly is happening.

    The ending was done quite well compared to many stories like this one (supposively insane protagonists); and kicks cliche endings in the face. Although…once you get to the \\&quot;mental hospital\\&quot; part of any story like this, there really is only 2 choices where the plot could go; The protagonist is either right, or wrong, so there isnt much of a suprise here.

    This story was so well written that I think I may suggest it to a couple friends, and maybe other fans might want to do the same. Who knows, maybe the author could have a gathering of people waiting for his/her next work. (too bad we dont know who it is -_-)

  524. Very, very tasty pasta. However, I find it to be just a little unrealistic in that even at the end he was still unsure about whether it was real or all in his head, because there is no way that those “things” could have known everything he knows…

    What I mean is, by the time they are bashing on the door no more than a week has past. And those things only know what others tell them (apparently they are unable to read the minds of their victims?). A week is not enough time for the things to know enough about John that there isn\’t AT LEAST one memory that John has with Amy that the things don\’t know yet… And unless they are VERY good at guessing he will know for sure…

    And if they can read minds, then why did they wait so long to come for him? If you need the victim to believe that it is “all in their head” then why wait until the victim is sure that it ISN’T “all in their head”?

    And for one final plot hole, if the things were watching John on his webcam inside his room and could see everything he was doing, wouldn’t they know (from the computer screen) that he had a second webcam monitoring the hall?

    Anyways, maybe I’m just too smart for my own good… Or maybe that’s why I’m still here to write this? OH GOD!

  525. Wow! I knew the man was not crazy, because of the way he pulled things together, but he sadly drove himself crazy, to prove to himself that he was not crazy! Great story, had me so close to my screen that my nose touched it!

  526. Excellent pasta! I would also like to clarify the ending for those who didn’t quite understand, please feel free to correct me on any of my assumptions if I am wrong.

    It seems that before these “things” broke down his door, that he gouged out his own eyes and that he is now being held in a padded cell, I have also presumed that these “things” are able to control humans through some “nerve filaments” that seem to need the use of the eyes (which our “hero” has gouged out) but the horrifying thing about this is that the humans are still conscious to the fact they are being controlled yet they have no control over their own bodys.

    Anyways 10/10 Delicious pasta!

  527. Wow great pasta! I didn\’t quite get the ending of the story, but after reading the comments and re-reading the last paragraph a few times I finally got it. It gave me the chills tbh.

    10/10 one of the best pasta\’s I\’ve ever read.

  528. I loved this creepy pasta, definitely the best or at least one of the best ones that I\’ve read. It was extra creepy in that sometimes that\’s how I think…

  529. This pasta… at first, i thought it was going to be another post-apocolyptic cookie cutter story. Is it post-apocolyptic? Or maybe it’s an experiment, to see how people respond to different enviroments, and this one guy just wouldn’t mold? Either way, it kept making me doubt myself… mind f*ck. I was like, “Oh, yah, he’s insane” and then I’m all, “No, wait, he might be right about this…” but, whatever.

    Loved it. 4/5, but only because i’ve read creepier on this site, and this is a lot better than some of the newer stuff, but not as great as the old stuff.

    Also, feel free to correct me on my spelling and grammar. I know i’ve got some mistakes.

  530. that was awesome!!! perfectly eerie without trying too hard to scare you. and very creepy. :)

    wish we could know who wrote it…

  531. Very, very tasty pasta. 10/10.
    The word choice could have been improved, but the overall story and plot was amazing. I was so focused on the story that I didn’t notice there was heavy metal playing in the other room.
    The ending was fantastic, as well. I admit, it was rather sad, but it was very interesting and not generic bullshit.

  532. This story is absolute genius. What a great Pasta. 10/10 The end actually hit me pretty hard; the realization of the protagonist being insane really does hurt you. Amazing epiphany Pasta.

  533. Hey, man, great pasta. The whole time reading, I expected, as many others did, that he was just insane, and he was gonna end up being all wrong, but the twist in the end…I loved it. It was a great story, and would love to read more from you.

    My email should be somehow attached to this post, so, Gar, if you read this, shoot me an email…I’d be interested in working with you on a colab. If my email isn’t here, my Monolith account is also TKL.

  534. That was awesomee!

    The best part was definitely the buildup in the middle, and when he first doubts that Amy is real. It was just such an ‘omg’ moment and the entire thing was really well-written… even the ending was pretty good on this one.

    Definitely one of the best on the site :D

  535. Awesome Pasta. Proves once again that a nice creepy story doesn’t need blood or monsters. But i’d like it more without the last paragraph, it leaves open wh he’s insane or it really happened. Great writing skills, looking forward to reading more of you!

  536. Shiver Down Your Spine

    I’m sure this would be creepier to the basement-dwellers of this site. Quite long even compared to some pastas here, yet it was well worth it.

  537. ParanormalPenguin

    An extremely good read. I think it makes it into my top five. We need more pastas around here that are as good as this one. Your comparing human eyes to those of a machine was utter genius. I much prefer these psychological thriller/horrors. I really hope to see more of your work around here soon – I’d dine here again anytime.

    10 / 10. Keep up the excellent work.

  538. This was incredibly good. I absolutely love it. <3
    Of course, this means I’m going to be terribly paranoid for days now. Maybe I shouldn’t even post this comment…

  539. Dark Dude w/ Penne

    I can empathize with the character. I spent a two week spring break at college once. Only one of my friends was with me and she left after 3 days to go on a hockey trip. So there I was with a job from 4pm to 2am everyday and no one to talk to in a big dorm on a big campus with no one there. Not wanting to open the door or go outside. Plus it was in the late winter so the days were still short. I would literally sleep during all the daylight hours. Hallways seemed to go on forever and if it wasn’t for my very social job (at a bar) I would have gone nuts I am sure.

    Who knows if I didn’t already go nuts….lol

  540. wow, just wow. I loved it. Kept me going and going. Honestly? I\’m a little parnoid and kind of afraid to sleep…great plot! I was confused at the ending but I get now that something is controlling the humans. The eye compaired to a camera? MAGNIFICEINT! I only wish there was a little more explanation on this creature. Would make an outstanding and amazing short film, in fact if ya don\’t mind I\’d like to try making that one day. Again. Absolutely freaking brillian

  541. This was amazing, I read this the first day it came out on the forums and am very pleased to see it on the front page. I would say I read it 4 times by now, and it is still amazing. I liked the ending, because it makes sense with the rest of the story, if you re-read it you will see what I mean. The guy has been isolated for a very long time, all the while not receiving any calls, then he tries to call Amy and she does not answer. Right after, he gets a random call and the person only asks for his name, hanging up right after, so that the entity can know more about him to use Amy’s persona to trick him. This is just one example.

    The only thing I hate about this, is that it isn’t published. I have an NFL (National Forensics League) tournament and I really wanted to present this as a prose piece =/

  542. you should write short stories for a living. excellent grammar and diction. woven well and the ending was concise and wonderful. 10/10

  543. I absolutely loved it. It fooled me so many times. I thought first that it was a post-apocalyptic, then that he was just paranoid, then that it was some sort of creepypasta-fied agoraphobia, then that it really was out to get him, then the rest all over again. I’m not satisfied with his reasoning for gouging out his eyes — it seems too hasty and emotionally driven compared to most of his decisions — but it was nonetheless a pleasantly unexpected twist.

  544. This seems like it would be perfect for an episode of the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits. Like, the old classic style ones. Definitely worth the read.

  545. i read the whole thing, and at first, i didn\’t got the ending, so i read that very last part over and over and over again and slowly i realized whats actually going on

    on every part, i thought what i would do in this moment, and i actually would\’ve fallen for that more than once
    only, WOW
    really, wow

    that (story) was really awesome and the ending unpredictable (for me)

  546. Very good! I’m happy to see a good pasta! Please prepare this dish again!

    I much prefer these phsychological ones to rituals and “holy crap hand coming out of the floor” ones!

    11/10

  547. What I liked about this pasta was that I really did not expect this ending at all. I expected a cliche ending where there was nothing wrong and the guy was just plain insane, being too paranoid and would end up killing himself or ending up in an asylum.

    However, his insanity and paranoia end up being correct and in the end it is all the sane people that end up being controlled.

    10/10. Long but not boring at all, really makes you read until the end.

  548. This pasta is the first that scared me since I read the one about the hunter and the portraits.

    The idea of not knowing whether or not you are being deceived scares me.

  549. My god, this was a wonderful pasta. One of the best on the site. It so perfectly shows a man’s descent into madness, only to turn around and show it really isn’t madness, his fears are real. I especially liked the ending, which I had to read a few times to truly understand what was happening. It’s quite ingenious. I give it high points for grammar, plot, ending, and execution. Well done.

    9.5/10

    1. Agreed, reading this; it makes me wonder if the author ever experienced insanity during the course of his lifetime. Because this story pretty much perfectly reflects a delusional mind.

  550. This was a very powerful, well done pasta. I could relate to the narrator in a few small ways…those times when I was a kid….and I invented these strange scenarios and applied them to real life…how I would convince myself, beyond a reasonable doubt…that there was an alien staring in the window behind me….but as long as I didn’t turn around…it wouldn’t be able to get me.

    However, it really got to me when I started to relate it to what I’ve heard and seen about my (former?) friend. I’ve known this guy since I was too young to remember..my mom babysat him and his brother since she didn’t work and the three of us became close overtime. He was always a little odd, quick to anger….made strange illogical decisions about things…but you could at least hold a conversation with him.

    However, in the last couple of years…he has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. It manifested simply enough at first…he wouldn’t feel comfortable unless the blinds were closed….because the though that people could look in at him bothered him. It’s gotten worse over time, now getting to the point where he believes…without a shadow of a doubt, that the small biker bar we have in town is completely populated with alien body snatchers who assassinate people and take their live’s over.

    He talks about it in the most “matter-of-fact” way, and that they…along with the FBI are out to get him for some reason. It’s so scary to see someone who used to be relatively “normal”, become so completely detached from reality…through no fault of their own.

    He doesn’t think there is anything wrong with him…his parents pay for his trailer…he has no job…..he won’t take his prescribed meds….he’s been to the state hospital twice now…but they can’t hold him if he starts to make a little progress…..he’ll take his meds and tell the right tale just long enough to get out again…but then he just goes back to the same thing…..

    Damn…..stupid pastas….

      1. The person in the story could also have Capgras Syndrome, where you think loved ones have been replaced by evil beings

    1. Reread the ending, and then think of what it could possibly be describing. Nerves. Eyes. Inside the skull. Think realistically.

      1. it says the nerve filaments wrapped around his head…”wrapped around” as in not inside…so, no not inside his skull…around his head…something else controlling him…not his brain…pay attention…>.>

        1. It still wraps around his head, inside or outside. Doesn’t make a difference. It’s like, blood vessels go around your body, but they’re on the inside.

        2. Actually, it says it like the nerve filaments are outside the body, like it’s attached, giving the idea that something took his brain over. It also says he tried to scream, but the nerves forced his brain not to.

      2. But it says, “His body walked into the cell like a puppet” Usually the word puppet means that he was not in control of his own body.

        1. It’s referring to the mind as a separate being, in a way. No, he was not in control of his own body. His mind was treating his body as a puppet. “A sane man would have fallen for the deception long ago”. He is not a sane man, he is insane. Insane, and didn’t fall for the deception of his mind. Our minds are what allow us to be sane, and everybody else was sane, their mind controlling them like a puppet. Everybody except for John.

        2. So is it as though a Sane person is just being deceived by the Human mind to believe that Everything is normal and Insane people have been freed of that deception and know that the mind works against them?

        3. Or it could mean a puppet, as in a dcotor walking into a patients room (as doctors do a million time due to work) as a puppet. Remember the quote “insanity is doing something over and over again and nothing changes”
          Doctor could be not controlled by an entity but the writer still described him as a puppet due to his job and the countless times they are meeting with the same patients everyday.

          Something to think about.

    2. The ‘nerve filaments wrapped around his head and into his eyes’ are linking back to John’s notion earlier: ‘what’s the difference between a camera and my eyes? They both turn light into electrical signals – they’re the same!’. This explains that the eyes are linked to the brain, so in this ending, it may be saying that the eyes are controlling the brain, and the brain in turn controls the body.

      Hope this helped!

  551. Great story, very well written. Not 100% sold on the ending, I think even without the very last section the story is just as good, maybe better.

    Either way, great job! Look forward to seeing more from this writer.

        1. chuck,please….you are how old? Bruce lee beat you.Im bat shit cazy as hell and i know this.so dont be talking to my bro slendy like dat

        2. I wont fear you you little … ok I wont cuss now but you arent even scary slender man ive seen scarier like jeff the killer but im not saying hes all that scary either so just bequiet and quiver at my boldness cause im only 10 yea thats rite 10 and you are ssoooo scary yae rite maybe read that story again or even better in the wall and poop your pants because its so scary . Boom!

  552. Doors; They are large rectangular blocks of wood used to fill ungainly holes in walls, not portals, silly~

    *ahem*
    Okay, I was getting hints of 1408 until he got to the mental hospital, then I was predicting a claw popping out of the doctor’s back. Then I squealed inside =D
    Very good pasta, perfectly cooked and it leaves no bad aftertaste. 10/10

  553. Wait…What??
    I was expecting the entire time that he was just going crazy, but still loving the pasta. it was written in a way that seemed obvious, hes nuts. but him being insane….saved him? trippy pasta is trippy. 10/10.

    1. I don’t see it as his insanity saved him, per se. Reread the ending, and think of what else it could be describing.
      Think realistically.

      1. Maybe I’m a little thick, but what’s this realistic bit you mention? with the nerve filements and the thing wrapped around his eyes, i can only assume something is forcing him to act that way

        1. His mind is the machine that’s forcing him to do it. His mind is controlling him to do it. The mind is a mans best friend, and at times his worst enemy.

        1. What I interpreted was that the doctor described at the end was possessed by this otherworldly being, and could not help but do the actions that it was chemically forcing him to do. (manipulating the people’s actions through their brain)

        2. So…… The doctors mind was being controlled by the boy who thought he was mad, a as was Amy etc??? Amazing pasta though

  554. Thanks for the positive feedback guys :) though it seems my italics didn’t show up here. I’ll have to remember that for next time.

  555. Wow… This really got me to thinking. It was a wonderful Pasta, the best I have read. It did not make me so terrified I could not sleep, or look out windows, or give me a headache. It had great grammar. And was very well written. I wish there was a big book about the story of this man, and his, “Cyber-Psychosis” and again, it was a wonderful read. How he compared his own eyes, with the eyes of a machine, was beyond brilliant. It was the most interesting pasta that was not scary. I never knew it could work so well like that.

      1. No, that’s whyit’scalled Psychosis. He is paranoid because heletthe fear grow in his mind, ur rationalizingit.

        1. im cofused too. I mean i thought he was just crazy, but it says that the docter was like being forced to tell him that, and the entity was real. It was a really good pasta though!

        2. The ending can be interpreted many ways, that’s what makes it so good. On the one hand, the circuits and all that around the doctor could be describing his actual tendons. Like how eyes are likened to cameras. In that respect, we are all the deceivers, drying to rationalize our hollow existence and expelling anything resembling a separate course of thought. Such as his psychosis; we were rationalizing with his fears, for we were trapped in the room with him. On the other hand, the machine controlling the doctor could be real, and was controlling his actions. In this case, his “psychosis” was not psychosis at all, and his fears were actually justified. We spent the entire story thinking, “well that’s sad, but… what if…” and lo, we were right all along. Makes you question the state of your own sanity…

    1. I agree with christopher amazing pasta with a great story and a good ending. The long read was worth it,and it didn’t make me paranoid that a monster would come to me in the night and kill me. Plus what makes it even creepier and better is that phsycosis is a real condition. 10 out of 10!

  556. I would have just asked Amy to verify something else.
    It’s not like you only have one memory in common with each friend.

    1. Well, it says that that one memory is something he never shared with anyone else, which could mean that he has already shared a myriad of other facts and memories about himself and Amy, so he would just conclude that the entity knew those things from previous conversations. He would have to go back and systematically check every memory he had with just the two of them alone that he never told anyone else about. It’s pretty mind-rattling.

      1. Hey Tyler so I was thinking, “well why couldn’t he have just asked her for another memory?” But you answered that and I totally forgot that he said that that memory was the only one he had never shared with anyone else

        1. Well he would have to ask for another question because that entity knew the answer to the question because the webcam was pointed to it

        2. Well he might have not shared it with some one but the webcam saw it so it knew and he would have had to ask another question

  557. This has got to be one of my favorite pastas. I agree with Ryan, that made the length well worth it. However, regardless of the ending choice, I think that had it decided to go the more disappointing route at the end, I still would have felt it worth the read due to the great tension building moments throughout.

      1. the whole story is meant to make you think that John is crazy, and has psychosic and is paranoid of the world around him, to where a normal person would think otherwise. but in reality, john is right, his delusions are true, its a twist ending, thinking he is crazy and then finding out he is right

        1. Yeah the doctor wanted to tell him he was right but the “entity” wouldn’t let him it was using some kind of mind control

      2. The patient went insane, revolving throughout the story and his eyes deceiving him, John had wrapped bandages around his head, life itself ingulfing into darkness. After the bandages he opened the door and went with the entity. My take on the ending is John is probably inside of an insane asylum, waiting for the the entity to give up or him waiting for death.

        1. I think he did, because he said when they gave him a pen and paper, “What am I going to do? Poke my eyes out?”

    1. Yea I like it a lot! But the only thing I don’t like about it it’s the ending and if the doctor at the end is lying or telling the truth or if the guy is crazy or sane.
      I would rate it 9/10. The ending and uncertainty knocked it down to nine for me.

      1. That’s the beauty of it. He masterfully crafted the ending for you to interpret it as you see it.

      2. are you kidding me? the best part is the ending, dude!! that’s taken plot twist to a whole new level!! if you can’t understand, here it is! the doctor wanted to tell John that he was sane, but because the doctor had his mind controlled, he couldn’t do so, and instead telling the otherwise that John was insane! So basically the doctor lied, although he couldn’t help it since his mind was controlled.

        1. the ending was well crafted, but definitely not masterfully. though the ending is vague on how the entity exists, it expressly states that it does, stopping any thought that this could happen in reality… btw my take on the ending is that the doctor is part of the entity, and the entity is amassed that johns will is so strong, but continues to try to break him, for sport.

        2. I can’t stress this enough. THERE IS NO “RIGHT” ANSWER TO THE ENDING. it is an open-ended ending in the way that the CONCLUSION is the way YOU take the words to mean. The way most seem to view the ending is that an entity is controlling the doctor (that is neither right nor is it wrong). another way to look at it is the Doctor feels sympathetic to John and want to cheer for him and his delusional state of survival, but it is not his job to encourage his patient’s delusions. also, by stating that John is insane, you question his sanity. is his proneness to delusions what has kept him sf efrom the entities. or is his delusions what keep him safe from the doctors “deceptions” of leading him back to a normal life. There are abunch more ways all of this can be taken. and it is very well written for that reason because in a way it play off of your own mental state and what you wish to believe.

  558. Bravo. I thought the whole time that it was a poor effort to make it seem like there was something more to the story, but the ending really tied it all together so perfectly

    1. i think the answer is sort of a loose bow, it seems simple but when you look into it you start to find other answer, like the docter is possesed by an alien, or maybe the human brain itself is controling the person and they are trapped inside the brain, explaining why that the guys insanity saved him from the brains influence

        1. I got rid of mine. its sitting in the closet all alone now.
          and at first i thought about whiteface….

        2. White face in a charecter in a computer game (can’t remember title, sorry!) that messes with your computer by downloading files. You can probably find it on YouTube.

        3. I did too… Imma close my laptop every night from now on… Or put something over it… Or smash my laptop with a hammer…. Any of those options work for me.

        4. No, i already had a sticker over mine. Funny thing is when it said ‘I got an email.” my oovoo thing went off saying someone messaged me >.>

        5. I’ve never been the type to fall into such traps. however i am always very careful to guard my identity from strangers. i disconnect my webcam when im not using it, use false names on websites i dont trust; and finally never tell people whether Garen J O is actually my birth name etc. It gives me a sense of security

        6. Sasha Goulakova

          well, now it’s undertale that is taking over :)
          homestuck is endiiing…. :(

        7. I already have a post-it taped over my webcam. The NSA stuff is already a little like this. ( I know, I know, if you aren’t doing anything wrong you have noting to hide but i still don’t agree. Please no hate comments)

        8. I completely agree, I’m removing my webcam and avoiding all cameras, I already don’t trust people.

        9. Yeah, Like what if I’m changing my clothes in front of my computer? Don’t want some NSA guy seeing that. Creep.

        10. I always do this anyway. And I always keep something over it, just a simple sticker maybe. You never know.

        11. The Hash Slinging Slasher

          What freak would want to watch us read scary stories for like an hour without saying a word?

        12. Oddly enough ever since I found out people can hack into your webcam an watch you, I’ve put a post-it over mine. It gets me really paranoid when it’s not there.

        13. [spoiler title=” “] The main character is captured by the entity and put in a padded cell with an insane asylum. The ending states how the doctor wishes to tell the main character that he is correct, that there is indeed an entity trying to trick him. But he cannot do so because of the nerve filaments wrapped around his head and eyes. The nerve filaments either reference to the brain or the skin. This conclusion means that even Amy is trying to tell the mc that he is right, but she cant. Because the entity is controlling her. It makes you wonder, what if in real life, we are also controlled too. It could be you are the only one with free will and everyone else is controlled.

        14. i don’t have a webcam….. thankfully.
          But i’ve never been truly paranoid, just kinda like, just in case…………

        15. i feel like the only way not to freak out about the webcam is to make the party watching you freak out by staring at the webcam as long as possible, whenever possible. Though this does make you question your sanity when you wonder if there’s no one on the other side

        16. ElectronicVOICES

          I have an old laptop that had it’s camera smashed in long ago. I rarely do anything involving electronics, other than Creepypasta and Amazon. And for that, I even use a different address and a fake name. (my friend is simpathetic to my paranoia)

        17. I thankfully don’t have a webcam, but my paranoia is just as bad cuz I can’t bring myself to open my bedroom door, or even unlock it.

        18. I’m reading this on my tablet….
          I’m covering the camera with my thumb…..I’m scared”0-0″

        19. I would have, but I have been paranoid about being watched for years…There’s already tape on it.

        20. I have a webcam but I actually am freaked out by it… I actually smashed my old pc because the webcam went static and made slenderish noises so i got really scared and just threw it across the room…Don’t worry it was a windows 6

        21. I didn’t, but I used to be really paranoid about people watching me on my webcam, or paranoid in general. I thought it just had to do with the fact I have always had anxiety, but I got over he paranoia, but not over anxiety. Its still bad. I don’t know what changed.

        22. my sister texted towards the end of the story because she “forgot her keys” and wanted me to let her in and I almost didnt.

        23. PrincessOf Norn

          Do any of you guys realize that if you have a light that turns on with your camera when it is active it can be used to let you know if someone is watching since the light would turn on with the camera. Iffffffffffffff it does turn on cover it as fast as possible or someone can snag ur identity with your face…. ya.

        24. i have a feeling this pasta is making us insane as i instantly deleted my webcam effect program and put tape over it, and locked the doors and turned off all the lights.

        25. I was reading this on my tablet and covered the camera……
          The sad life of a creepypasta fan
          Oh well :)

        26. I’m okay with it. After all, it lights up blue when it’s being used, and if I see that ima probably do something stupid or….
          Yeah. Whoever sees that is either gonna be bored, disgusted, or somethin else that I can’t think of.

        1. You know that thing about spreading this. Yeah this is about how you would do it. So thanks a lot for making people who read this slowly fall into insanity. ^.^

        2. Yeah. This story was amazing and it all tied together so well at the end. The doctor had a valid explanation, but the main engineer guy had a good reason for why the stuff happened too. Of course it could just be a REALLY weird coincidence. Eitherway, this story was awesome. good job! *Internet fist bump*

        1. Because he had paranoia he came to the conclusion that everything was deceptive. Unfortunately for the rest of the world he happened to be correct.

      1. I’m always paranoid, haha.
        I always keep my door shut and locked, I always shut all doors when home alone, especially at night. I don’t talk on the phone much at all. I also cover my webcam when not skyping. When out in public, I tend to not talk to people and just nod and point to things. I always watch my surroundings when I’m alone and I tend to glance at the little things that move all the time, even if it’s a blanket moving from the fan being on.

        1. what do u do in school, only nod and point to things? im actually the same only thing i dont do is uncover my web cam even when im skyping i keep it covered, except i know the person on the other side personally and very well god i hate that im so paranoid

      2. RanceLandstrong

        I looked at my webcam and then the lights like went out for like second AND I ALMOST LOST MY SHIT CAUSE NOW IM THINKING LIEK THEY KNOW I KNOW OH MY GOD NOW WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

      3. I agree with this comment, I saw the entire thing (after reading the ending) as a science experiment. Someone was having tests conducted on this man and he has been determined to never give in to the tests

    2. I will make a better one.
      No, I can’t.
      Sh**! I have no match for this.

      Ok. You win dude.
      Still the best rated even after 3 years.
      Fvck.

      1. all in all just be creepy, reach inside you to find that thing that could really happen in real life and start from there.

      1. Okay, so John has been locked in his house for a few days without talking to anyone. As he tries to contact others, he starts to believe that some entity has taken over and possessed everyone. Amy, his friend has him sent to an asylum where he still refuses to believe that he is wrong. The last few paragraphs reveal that he is right and that the fake doctor just needs him to believe nothing is out of the ordinary.

        1. so, basically, John was right the whole time and the doctor is trying to convince him hes still crazy?

        2. Actually man i think the doctor was real and the thing had just put things in his brain and eyes to control him. Its weird.

        3. whatever’s controlling people seems to be able to do it by hijacking electrical signals. It gets into phones, the internet, webcams, and apparently eyes too. my understanding is that after the main character gouged his own eyes out, he could no longer be controlled.

        4. PrincessOf Norn

          Electronics can be hacked, the character knows this and gets psychosis, look it up. It is where the person is just way too paranoid for his own good.

        5. Actually, I think that the guy was *just* crazy. There is no entity, he just went nuts and thought that the entity was SO good that it could recreate the entire world. Therefore, he thinks he’s living in this world, and then this entity comes and it slowly starts becoming everything, simulating everything, when in fact everything is normal.

        6. So… Amy was visiting him since the doctor was real and was just being controlled. She must be so proud and doing this (>w<)b… mentally

        7. What happens, is that John in the end, after he has resisted everything he has went through, John was right the whole time. The doctor, psychiatrist, was all WANTING to tell him to resist the urge, that he was wright, but the entity had the “nerve felons”, which gives you the right to think for yourself, but the entity controlled you, your voice, movement, everything, which comes back to the phrase “He wanted to shout words of encouragement to the dilusional man(John), but the nerve phelons wrapped around his head and into his eyes did otherwise”, in other words, John was right and all, and the entity could see through the circuts of a camera, which is how he saw the playground thought when the camera on John’s laptop was pointed at his notebook, which concludes where his eyes were the same as a camera, that’s how the entity would control you, as it would be connected to your eyes and into your brain. When John poked his eyes out and blinded himself, they didn’t have nerves in them, his nerves were dead in his eyes so they could be connected, along with the bandages around his eyes. I maybe wrong about him poking out his eyes, but we know he DID blind himself. He was taken to an asylum/hospital type building, as he says his “padded cell”, and that’s how he could finally feel Amy and all other feelings like that. I do love this story, it makes me think logically, and personally this is my favorite story of all time, I listened to it literally 15 times.

        8. I typed what happened, but it made me go back to the site and admit I’m 18, so long story short, I love the story, watched it literally 15 times. The entity controls the doctor’s actions and speaking and everything like that, but the doctor’s mind he can still control himself, like how the narrator said “He WANTED to scream words of encouragement” but he couldn’t because the “nerve phelons” wrapped around his head and into his eyes wouldn’t let him. He was taken to a hospital/asylum type facility as it says in his “padded cell” and all, unless it’s just an asylum and all. The entity can control people through their eyes, which is why it couldn’t control John because he poked/tore his eyes out and blinded himself, so there was no nerves to connect too, so it couldn’t control John. The way you know John was right is because the narrator says “As the psychiatrist walks into the cell, like a puppet” because he was controlled by the entity that John was afraid of, and the fact that Amy knew what to say about the playground and all was because the entity could attach to the circuits of the camera and could see the notebook, as John’s camera on his laptop was pointed at it.

      2. There’s some entity that has somehow taken over everything in the world. It knows nothing about John until he gives it out to the outside world. He doesn’t get calls because the entity doesn’t know his number. That is, until he made the call. Then it does know his number. Same thing with the webcam and email.

    3. When u trick ur mind into tricking u what is fake and what is real when u cant distiguish the line and there is no bounders..

    4. Alfredo Lozoya

      When u trick ur mind into tricking u what is fake and what is real when u cant distiguish the line and there is no bounders..

    5. this makes you think. what is sanity exactly? How can we ever know that we aren’t seeing illusions? only the healthiest of minds think these thought since we want to know. Insanity is a perfectly good mind running so fast that it overworks itself and destroys itself. Sanity is usually a dulled mind going to slow to harm itself.

        1. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result – Albert Einstein’s definition of insanity.

        2. Ya know whats really scary? I’ve never read this story before yet I commented on it and I don’t remember commenting on it…. But I literally finished the quote as I did in my comment, as I read this… O.O

        3. No hate comments about this, but Robin Williams applied the Einstein quote “Insanity is repeating an action and expecting a different result” to the re-election of George Bush. I honestly thought it was freakin hilarious!!!!!

      1. good point, only those whose minds are so effective at running efficiently are capable of pondering such deep thought to the point of losing themselves.

      2. Logic says that the human brain is designed to work…
        However there is no proof that what we see is always what the brain interprets.

        1. This ^

          How can we tell what we are seeing is what everyone else is seeing.

          You can’t!

          Think about it without burning yourself out. How can you prove that the image someone else is seeing through their eyes is identical to yours? It would almost certainly be different in a few ways due to the way out brains are wired differently.

          But the really weird part is, they could explain exactly what they are seeing, but the actual image they see for one thing may be different through your eyes.

          For example: Color blind people. someone who is color blind may see a particular color as “grey” but because they’ve been told its “blue”, they then know it’s blue.

          But what if they are also color blind to grey? I could be fk’n orange colored in their mind for all we know.

          Lol this one always gets me.

          Great story, had me reading every single line literally with my face inches from the screen in apprehension :D

          Good Work 10/10

      3. Well, I like Stephen King’s definition of insanity: insanity is the inability to accept an idea that is logical because of the evidence on it <- from the tommyknockers, creepy book feels a lot like this story :)

        1. We would probably never get scared if we didn’t have an imagination because its our imagination that makes things scary, and incomplete thoughts get completed by paranoia powered by imagination

        2. im a 12 yr old girl who isn’t even fazed, it was an interesting story, though.

    6. The entire time I was thinking that it was just paranoia(though I wouldn’t have opened the door either) but the ending made me drop my iPod and my jaw

    7. No, I think the ending was a cheesy last minute attempt to give a twist. He should have just left it at when he went crazy. That was good enough.

      1. I’m totally into that, would have been much better, I’m still 50/50 on if their was actually a paranormal force or not? What’s the general consensus?

    8. wait . so everyone is indeed are possessed ? The doctor is indeed the entity that the man feared ? or am I understanding it wrong ?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top