Advertisement
Please wait...

Smile Dog



Estimated reading time — 12 minutes

Smile Dog Creepypasta

I first met in person with Mary E. in the summer of 2007. I had arranged with her husband of fifteen years, Terence, to see her for an interview. Mary had initially agreed, since I was not a newsman but rather an amateur writer gathering information for a few early college assignments and, if all went according to plan, some pieces of fiction. We scheduled the interview for a particular weekend when I was in Chicago on unrelated business, but at the last moment Mary changed her mind and locked herself in the couple’s bedroom, refusing to meet with me. For half an hour I sat with Terence as we camped outside the bedroom door, I listening and taking notes while he attempted fruitlessly to calm his wife.

The things Mary said made little sense but fit with the pattern I was expecting: though I could not see her, I could tell from her voice that she was crying, and more often than not her objections to speaking with me centered around an incoherent diatribe on her dreams — her nightmares. Terence apologized profusely when we ceased the exercise, and I did my best to take it in stride; recall that I wasn’t a reporter in search of a story, but merely a curious young man in search of information. Besides, I thought at the time, I could perhaps find another, similar case if I put my mind and resources to it.

Advertisements

Mary E. was the sysop for a small Chicago-based Bulletin Board System in 1992 when she first encountered smile.jpg and her life changed forever. She and Terence had been married for only five months. Mary was one of an estimated 400 people who saw the image when it was posted as a hyperlink on the BBS, though she is the only one who has spoken openly about the experience. The rest have remained anonymous, or are perhaps dead.

In 2005, when I was only in tenth grade, smile.jpg was first brought to my attention by my burgeoning interest in web-based phenomena; Mary was the most often cited victim of what is sometimes referred to as “Smile.dog,” the being smile.jpg is reputed to display. What caught my interest (other than the obvious macabre elements of the cyber-legend and my proclivity toward such things) was the sheer lack of information, usually to the point that people don’t believe it even exists other than as a rumor or hoax.

It is unique because, though the entire phenomenon centers on a picture file, that file is nowhere to be found on the internet; certainly many photomanipulated simulacra litter the web, showing up with the most frequency on sites such as the imageboard 4chan, particularly the /x/-focused paranormal subboard. It is suspected these are fakes because they do not have the effect the true smile.jpg is believed to have, namely sudden onset temporal lobe epilepsy and acute anxiety.

This purported reaction in the viewer is one of the reasons the phantom-like smile.jpg is regarded with such disdain, since it is patently absurd, though depending on whom you ask the reluctance to acknowledge smile.jpg’s existence might be just as much out of fear as it is out of disbelief. Neither smile.jpg nor Smile.dog is mentioned anywhere on Wikipedia, though the website features articles on such other, perhaps more scandalous shocksites as ****** (hello.jpg) or 2girls1cup; any attempt to create a page pertaining to smile.jpg is summarily deleted by any of the encyclopedia’s many admins.

Encounters with smile.jpg are the stuff of internet legend. Mary E.’s story is not unique; there are unverified rumors of smile.jpg showing up in the early days of Usenet and even one persistent tale that in 2002 a hacker flooded the forums of humor and satire website Something Awful with a deluge of Smile.dog pictures, rendering almost half the forum’s users at the time epileptic.

It is also said that in the mid-to-late 90s that smile.jpg circulated on usenet and as an attachment of a chain email with the subject line “SMILE!! GOD LOVES YOU!” Yet despite the huge exposure these stunts would generate, there are very few people who admit to having experienced any of them and no trace of the file or any link has ever been discovered.

Advertisements

Those who claim to have seen smile.jpg often weakly joke that they were far too busy to save a copy of the picture to their hard drive. However, all alleged victims offer the same description of the photo: A dog-like creature (usually described as appearing similar to a Siberian husky), illuminated by the flash of the camera, sits in a dim room, the only background detail that is visible being a human hand extending from the darkness near the left side of the frame. The hand is empty, but is usually described as “beckoning.” Of course, most attention is given to the dog (or dog-creature, as some victims are more certain than others about what they claim to have seen). The muzzle of the beast is reputedly split in a wide grin, revealing two rows of very white, very straight, very sharp, very human-looking teeth.

This is, of course, not a description given immediately after viewing the picture, but rather a recollection of the victims, who claim to have seen the picture endlessly repeated in their mind’s eye during the time they are, in reality, having epileptic fits. These fits are reported to continue indeterminably, often while the victims sleep, resulting in very vivid and disturbing nightmares. These may be treated with medication, though in someses it is more effective than others.

Mary E., I assumed, was not on effective medication. That was why after my visit to her apartment in 2007 I sent out feelers to several folklore- and urban legend-oriented newsgroups, websites, and mailing lists, hoping to find the name of a supposed victim of smile.jpg who felt more interested in talking about his experiences. For a time nothing happened and at length I forgot completely about my pursuits, since I had begun my freshman year of college and was quite busy. Mary contacted me via email, however, near the beginning of March 2008.

Added by MooseJuice
To: jml@****.com
From: marye@****.net
Subj: Last summer’s interview
Dear Mr. L.,
I am incredibly sorry about my behavior last summer when you came to interview me. I hope you understand that it was no fault of yours, but rather my own problems that led me to act out as I did. I realized that I could have handled the situation more decorously; however, I hope you will forgive me. At the time, I was afraid.

You see, for fifteen years I have been haunted by smile.jpg. Smile.dog comes to me in my sleep every night. I know that sounds silly, but it is true. There is an ineffable quality about my dreams, my nightmares, that makes them completely unlike any real dreams I have ever had. I do not move and do not speak. I simply look ahead, and the only thing ahead of me is the scene from that horrible picture. I see the beckoning hand, and I see Smile.dog. It talks to me.

It is not a dog, of course, though I am not quite sure what it really is. It tells me it will leave me alone if only I do as it asks. All I must do, it says, is “spread the word.” That is how it phrases its demands. And I know exactly what it means: it wants me to show it to someone else.

And I could. The week after my incident I received in the mail a manila envelope with no return address. Inside was only a 3 ½ -inch floppy diskette. Without having to check, I knew precisely what was on it.
I thought for a long time about my options. I could show it to a stranger, a coworker… I could even show it to Terence, as much as the idea disgusted me. And what would happen then? Well, if Smile.dog kept its word I could sleep. Yet if it lied, what would I do? And who was to say something worse would not come for me if I did as the creature asked?

So I did nothing for fifteen years, though I kept the diskette hidden amongst my things. Every night for fifteen years Smile.dog has come to me in my sleep and demanded that I spread the word. For fifteen years I have stood strong, though there have been hard times. Many of my fellow victims on the BBS board where I first encountered smile.jpg stopped posting; I heard some of them committed suicide. Others remained completely silent, simply disappearing off the face of the web. They are the ones I worry about the most.
I sincerely hope you will forgive me, Mr. L., but last summer when you contacted me and my husband about an interview I was near the breaking point. I decided I was going to give you the floppy diskette. I did not care if Smile.dog was lying or not, I wanted it to end. You were a stranger, someone I had no connection with, and I thought I would not feel sorrow when you took the diskette as part of your research and sealed your fate.

Before you arrived I realized what I was doing: was plotting to ruin your life. I could not stand the thought, and in fact I still cannot. I am ashamed, Mr. L., and I hope that this warning will dissuade you from further investigation of smile.jpg. You may in time encounter someone who is, if not weaker than I, then wholly more depraved, someone who will not hesitate to follow Smile.dog’s orders.

Stop while you are still whole.

Sincerely,
Mary E.

Terence contacted me later that month with the news that his wife had killed herself. While cleaning up the various things she’d left behind, closing email accounts and the like, he happened upon the above message. He was a man in shambles; he wept as he told me to listen to his wife’s advice. He’d found the diskette, he revealed, and burned it until it was nothing but a stinking pile of blackened plastic. The part that most disturbed him, however, was how the diskette had hissed as it melted. Like some sort of animal, he said.

I will admit that I was a little uncertain about how to respond to this. At first I thought perhaps it was a joke, with the couple belatedly playing with the situation in order to get a rise out of me. A quick check of several Chicago newspapers’ online obituaries, however, proved that Mary E. was indeed dead. There was, of course, no mention of suicide in the article. I decided that, for a time at least, I would not further pursue the subject of smile.jpg, especially since I had finals coming up at the end of May.
But the world has odd ways of testing us. Almost a full year after I’d returned from my disastrous interview with Mary E., I received another email:

To: jml@****.com
From: elzahir82@****.com
Subj: smile

Hello

I found your e-mail adress thru a mailing list your profile said you are interested in smiledog. I have saw it it is not as bad as every one says I have sent it to you here. Just spreading the word.

(:

The final line chilled me to the bone.

Advertisements

According to my email client there was one file attachment called, naturally, smile.jpg. I considered downloading it for some time. It was mostly likely a fake, I imagined, and even if it weren’t I was never wholly convinced of smile.jpg’s peculiar powers. Mary E.’s account had shaken me, yes, but she was probably mentally unbalanced anyway. After all, how could a simple image do what smile.jpg was said to accomplish? What sort of creature was it that could break one’s mind with only the power of the eye?

And if such things were patently absurd, then why did the legend exist at all?

If I downloaded the image, if I looked at it, and if Mary turned out to be correct, if Smile.dog came to me in my dreams demanding I spread the word, what would I do? Would I live my life as Mary had, fighting against the urge to give in until I died? Or would I simply spread the word, eager to be put to rest? And if I chose the latter route, how could I do it? Whom would I burden in turn?

If I went through with my earlier intention to write a short article about smile.jpg, I decided, I could attach it as evidence. And anyone who read the article, anyone who took interest, would be affected. And even assuming the smile.jpg attached to the email was genuine, would I be capricious enough to save myself in that manner?

Could I spread the word?

Yes, yes I could.

CREDIT: Anonymous

smile dog

 

Overview

You try to tell yourself over and over, it’s just an image.Just a stupid picture of a stupid dog that somone has photoshopped teeth onto. It isn’t even scary, or at least it doesn’t scare you. Not one bit. How could it scare you? It’s just a picture. You tell yourself these things, but when you do, you lie. 

The image does scare you. Something about that smile, too wide with too many teeth. The same ‘all the better to eat you with’ smile that the Big Bad wolf gave to Red Riding Hood, a smile full of threat and sharpness. A predatory smile. 

Again you try to bury the idea. To ignore it. But it’s no use. Even when you close your eyes you see it, smiling maniacally back at you, the eyes, illuminated and searing, burning into your mind, you’re soul. You know right then, you have to get rid of it, to pass the image in to someone else, to do as the thing says and spread the word. You know that you’ll do these things because you must. Because if you don’t, you know, that eventually, he will pay you a visit. 

The Smile Dog creepypasta also often referred to as Smile.jpeg concerns a supposedly cursed or demonic image of a siberian husky with a menacing expression and  an exaggeratedly large smile from a mouth seemingly filled with human teeth. 

According to the story this image depicting ‘smile dog’ is an image of a demon or evil spirit that then plagues and torments anyone who has looked upon it with horrendous visions and nightmares, impelling them to ‘Spread the word’ by sharing the image with others. The longer the victim continues without sharing the image, the more extreme the ‘haunting’ becomes and if the image is not shared then smile dog takes his true form, either killing the victim, driving them to the point of insanity or in many versions dragging them away to hell. 

Advertisements

The original image associated with the smile.jpeg/ smile dog creepypasta shows a siberian husky with what appears to be a heavily photoshopped mouth. The husky is grey black and the image shows only the head and neck with prominent pointed ears. The eyes of the dog are illuminated by the camera flash so that they take on a glowing quality and the manner in which the dog is looking directly into the lens as if posing for a portrait in a disturbingly human fashion. 

Most unsettling however is the smile, which aside from appearing too wide for the mouth itself to contain seems not to contain ‘canine’ teeth but more human or primate. 

Origin and Development

The origin of both the original image of the husky and the first appearance of the altered image are unknown, with their creator still being anonymous. A fact that only adds to the story’s effectiveness by adding at least the suggestion that the image could have an origin other than just somebody editing and posting an image of their dog. 

This inability to pin down the exact origin of the story also ties in with the meta elements of the creepypasta story itself in which the narrator describes how the image cannot be traced and references to it on popular websites or incidents linked to it seem to disappear or be suppressed, suggesting that there are forces that do not want the background of the image or information about its power to be discussed in a public forum. 

The general consensus on the first appearance of creepypasta relating to the image is that it first appeared in 2008 on the 4chan /x/ board though even this origin remains frustratingly nonspecific and unclear. 

Following this initial posting, the story’s spread becomes a little clearer. In 2009 a post on urbandictionary gave an explanation of the story as a definition for the term smile.jpeg. In April 2010 a thread opened by AnonymousEthan on MovieCodec forums discussing the image and story. Here the idea that the image’s origin was unclear was again underscored by the poster. 

Later that same year a live action video about the story was uploaded to Youtube by a user known as Saboom and on 27th August the story got its own page on the Creepypasta wiki. 

Influences and Impact.

The Smile.jpeg/Smile dog creepypasta is built around a number of long established tropes. 

The first is the concept of chain letters. These are letters sent, mostly anonymously and which contain an instruction or inducement to spread or send on the letter on its message often with either the promise of some reward for this action or conversely a threat of some mishap or bad luck befalling the receiver if the refuse to send the message on and continue the chain. 

Originally actual letters sent by snail mail, this concept has evolved to encompass viral emails and facebook posts but work in precisely the same way. Whilst the addition of a haunted, supernatural or ‘curse’ element has long been an established feature of some old school physical chain ‘letters’ one of the more notable examples of this in an internet format and a possible precursor of the smile.jpeg  story was the story of Carmen Winstead (and the alternative name Jessica Smith) that surfaced on facebook in 2006 about a girl who had died in a sewer. The post insisted that if the reader did not share the post to a specified number of people then they would be haunted by Carmen/Jessica, a familiar template and one that reoccurs in the Smile.Jpeg 

The other significant tropes in the story- the idea of pursued by a demon or malevolent entity and the idea that this activity can be started or halted by passing on a particular artefact is a common one within popular culture and the theme of numerous horror movies from The Ring to the more comedic ‘Drag me to Hell’ and more recently ‘It follows’. 

One of the earliest and best executed incarnations of this notion and the story which arguably laid the blueprint for the later incarnations of the same idea is ‘Casting The Runes’ by M.R. James, in which a slip of paper sporting the titular runes is passed to the unwitting victim of a curse and must be passed on secretly to another person by a specified date, otherwise the summoned demon will pursue the victim and eventually destroy them. 

The Uncanny

Part of the effectiveness of the Smile.jpeg creepypasta and image in being ‘creepy’ is due to its ability to induce a feeling known as ‘the uncanny’ in viewers. This is mostly attributable to the dog’s smile and its apparent need for CBD for pets. In an effect similar to the unsettling effect caused by a clown’s painted smile, psychologists suggest that smiles that are too wide or which show all of the teeth produce a feeling of anxiety within the onlooker as it subconsciously suggests predation or aggression. 

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

415 thoughts on “Smile Dog”

  1. A few things slightly disappoint me.
    First of all, some people start having fits as soon as they see the image, well before the nightmares begin.
    Second of all, no one who sees the picture appears to be strong enough to hold onto their sanity or resist/endure the demon so well and long that it grows bored and leaves—I mean, imagine having the same nightmare for fifteen years and not getting used to it, not being desensitized towards it.
    Third of all, the narrative never mentions the possibility that the entire problem will go away if and when all humans (at least those with computer access) see the picture.
    On the other hand, I like two things about the story (other than the quality of writing, which is good). What the image is said to depict and how it is said to affect viewers reminds me of Pickman’s Model by H.P. Lovecraft, which is kind of cool. I also love how Mary E. thinks of the consequences for person(s) to whom she might distribute the image, which is rare for the chain letter genre.

  2. the moment it said “Yes, yes I could”, I knew that that picture would come up, I just looked at a little bit of the bottom, saw blood, then screamed

  3. RoseByAnyOtherName

    Creepy indeed. But the picture makes me think of the “Doggy Dentures” dog treat commercial, voiced by David “X”Files” Duchovny! Still, very well written.

  4. This is the only Creepypasta that made me feel…..Cold? Yeah. I feel really cold. Like walking to the bus stop at 6am during early March..I don’t know :/

  5. I want to see a real picture of this. But at the same time… I like sleep and I’d like to keep it

  6. So it has been three years since I’ve read this and it still gives me goose bumps and makes me want to actually see the actual picture ??

  7. I just want to put it out there, If you don’t want to be scared, then why go and read it just to put hate up later, I just don’t get it.

  8. Not scary at all i have looked on thousands of smile dog pictures and nothing happened to me not even a nightmare has ever happened lol
    i am not scared of slenderman,smile dog,jeff the killer,the rake,eyeless jake,russsian sleep experiment,laughing jack now.Cause i have mastered them all and i know how it feels to be scared
    Suprisingly i am 13 years old!
    sorry for my bad english

  9. This is the least creative creepypasta ever. I only say that because with small changes, it’s almost a copy of the movie “The Ring”. Although, the ring video is generally more creepy than a dog with dentures…

  10. Yeah, I need to stop reading Creepypasta at night. Not scary, but it makes the creeks and noises freak me out worse than usual.

    Smile.dog is freaking adorable.

  11. Everytime i see something creepy like a photo or something i always search up on google images KITTENS!!!!
    Trust me… Kittens and Pandas help out ALOT!! =^-^=

    1. Nicola Marie Jackson

      The Dog picture was, to me at least, creepy as fuck. I will now medicate myself with your prescription of Kittens and Pandas. Bless you xx

  12. I was reading this on my phone, and I had a feeling he would link it somewhere, so I freaked the fuck out when I saw the last line and a sliver of the picture. I still haven’t looked yet, but I’m about to, wish me luck!

  13. Creeped me out and evoked some kind of emotions so I give it a ten.. 11 if I possibly could. Not loving the picture of that dog at all, never mind the real one.

  14. Guys its just slenderman’s pet hell hound he’s harmless he only came to drag your soul kicking and screaming through the jaws of Hell ha ha.

  15. Smile.Dog:
    The first time i saw it i looked away. second ime i just laughed because it looked like those “doggy denchures” from that comerchial!

    When I saw it, I just stared and stared. Then I thought of doggy dentures :3

  16. I have seen that photo before and I am not scared because I have a husky and she is a old half blind and real friendly

  17. I DONT KNOW WHY BUT I THINK THAT HAND IN THE PIC IS THE DOG WAVING TO THE VICTIM, WHEN I GO TO SLEEP I AM GONNA RETHINK THIS WHOLE THING. IM GONNA SAY HES JUST PHOTOBOMBING HIMSELF

  18. Since I was affected with smile.dog I saved it to my kindle, I did spread the word, but now my best friend has to suffer it. Hopefully she spreads the word

  19. I read this yesterday and looked up da legit pic I saw it then in my dream last night he told me to spread the word so I posted it to ifunny lol

  20. *facepalm* you guys are thinking about it to hard, that’s why you are getting a headache. Plus if your really scared you get a headache, heck I had a headache after reading the one about the hike

  21. That picture makes me laugh! XD It just looks so funny! Honestly, who would think up a dog with a slit human-teeth like smile? XD It’s like when people add sharp shark teeth to ducks and geese. I love it and I love the story. XP

  22. The story is really good and very scary. But the picture isn’t scary at all if you would have looked up smile dog on google images it is much scarier and that picture is nothing like how it was described in the story. But i’s a very good and EXTREMELY scary story :)

  23. Trust me being slightly insane is fun! It makes you immune to scary stuff. Hell i watch horror movies before bed! Im not sure if its just me or im in a special state of insanity or what.
    Worship Talos.

  24. :3 SMILE CAT (lol)

    Cool, everyone is saying that they are getting headaches, but the first time I saw this image (some guys profile picture), it was like midnight and I wasn’t scared. You guys are just being scaredy cats.

  25. CreepypastaGod2000

    Really Well Written! It actually Seems Almost Legit. Big fan of the Smiledog Creepypasta. In My Opinion, Best Creepypasta our There. 10/10

  26. Some of this story seems inspired by Chris Nolan’s ‘Memento’; the polaroids, the mentally unstable, the last portion of the story being somewhat philosophical and the last lines being very similar.

  27. Someone put a picture like this up in my school and it was there for one afternoon and then it disappeared and no-one had any idea what smile dog was apart from me and my friends. It was horrible.

  28. When i first saw this, it gave me a headache. I knew it wasnt legit, but something about it terrified me. I almost wabted to rip my eyes out. It stuck with me for a week. I didnt look at it for a month. Now, as I look at
    it I just laugh, remembering how I acted. Its because of what you believe the picture will do. Not what it actually does.

  29. why does jeff the killer/smily dog/sally /slendy/tails doll/sonic.exe/the rake/
    jane the killer and well nothing why does nothing scare me?? plz tell me am I not normal am I just don’t know but why am I never scared??

    1. Does nothing scare you, or is it simply written works that do nothing?

      It’s possible your mind is simply too rational to immerse yourself into a story enough to frighten you. It’s not a bad thing. To be entirely fair, some of the stories you listed are poorly written/overdone, so they aren’t really scary to most.

      Or you’ve got balls of steel.

  30. Am I the only one who is reminded of “The Sun Dog” by Stephen King? They are not the same story, but Polaroids and evil dogs are definitely there.

    1. Oh, right, I had forgotten about that story. It’s a bit like The Sun Dog meets The Ring (the novel, not the movie). Creepy, although a bit too dragged in some point.
      Sure that dog is ugly with those teeth though.

  31. This story was so beautifully written! And how the writer backs it up with a well-developed background! Wow, truly amazing. :D By the way, did anyone enjoy the last line as much as I did? Bravo, bravo!

  32. Hello!!
    Hopefully the author will see this. I’ve tried finding you many different ways, but I could never find any contact information, so here’s my last (desperate) attempt.
    I have a webcomic I am currently working on. Many of the characters are monsters (please bare with me). Some of these monsters are Boogeymen, based off different legends around the world (including Red Eyes, another dog-based figure that strikes fear into many hearts).
    I was wondering if you would allow me to base a Boogeyman off your creation, the Smile Dog. He would be based off many American legends and Boogeymen and possibly creepypastas (if I can get permission). I was imagining a Siberian-husky type head and smiling expression… I would love it if you could get back to me. I can show you concepts and character designs, and even send a copy of every panel if you allow me to use him so that you can approve it. Even a “No, I don’ wanna let you” would be better than no response at all. So, if by some great stroke of luck you see this and read it, could you please consider and let me know if I can use a spin-off monster in a comic of mine.
    Thank you so much for your time (and thanks to the admins, who probably had to read through all this to approve it and gave their time as well)
    -Katy

  33. I love how, when you google images smile.jpg, you can see the pictures they photoshopped this from.

    I also love how everyone’s getting headaches.

  34. ThePsycoBehindYou

    Smile dog will come
    Smile dog will come
    Smile dog will come
    Smile dog will come
    Smile dog is here
    Smile dog is here
    Smile dog is here
    Spread the word

  35. ThePsycoBehindYou

    Havnt got a headache yet and iv seen the pic without nightmares but maybe you have to read about it and see the pic to see smile dog in your dreams, although the pic on google is creepier this one still creeps me out

  36. Smile smiles and I like to smile and smile smiles and I like that because smile is cute… don’t disagree plz

  37. The more I look at it, the less scared I become. I started to get a headache, but then told myself a picture can’t affect me like that, and the headache went away instantly.

  38. When I first saw the picture, I scrolled back up really fast. My reaction was “AW NOOOO” but after the second look… I don’t know if that’s the real picture. It looks pretty tacky, like those dog commercials lol

  39. Smile dog/ man

    Smile is scary! those eyes *Shake’s till going crazy* THE SMILE!*Sgakes till screams head off almost* he is a monster of doom! SPREAD THE WORD!

  40. Smile dog/ man

    I’m gonna have nightmares for the rest of my life i am starting to get a headache i feel like smile is deadly. SPREAD THE WORD :)

  41. Wow. Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me. I mean its just a pic of dog with bit of Photoshop. I mean how weak your psyche must be to be intimidated by clearly fake story and clearly fake pic. Just wow.

  42. ._. You guys are believing this?! No headache, no seizures, no eleprisy.
    Ugh, I can’t spell. Either I’m immune to smile.jpg or I’m already crazy. Probably the latter.

  43. I looked at the picture before i read the story so i was’nt scared and I read the coments and i was liek LOL!

  44. I was scrolling down…saw the beginnings of a picture..closed my eyes and went to the comments to see if it was the real one..still didn’t look at it

  45. This picture was very creepyand for some reason I can’t stop looking at it

    I’ll show it to my friends

    Huh… I’ll spread the word

  46. Nevermind… I looked at the photo. It wasn’t so bad it just made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I’m going to go watch cute kitten videos now.

    1. I scrolled fast down to the bottom because it usaually says that i know to much and now im gonna die so i wanted to look before and omg! i got such a surprise. But me and my sister found that it photo shop . look the dogs teeth hang out its mouth at the sides.

        1. I also think that dog is kind of cute too, but my sister thinks the red
          one is so freakin adorable, I don’t know what

  47. This picture is an obvious fake you can see that it has been photoshopped i dont see why people make such a big deal out of it

  48. Hey anyone ever notice that dog looks angry here’s how I think they made the smile.jpg: The guy/girl whose hand is showing hit or pulled the dogs tail causing the dog to snarl and show its teeth at the camera person who took the photo to soon causing the other person’s hand to be in the photo. That’s really how I think it was made and as for the nightmares didn’t get them.

  49. If I see the fellow smile dog Imma tell him “I WANTED MY SMILE DOG EXTRA CRISPY!!” Or imma tell him “Die Die Die!!! With a baseball bat!!!” So yea…and I’m the Choco smile dog. Also I may tell him “Do you wear dentures? Yea you do…FLAME THROWER DUN NUN NUN NUN NUN NUN NUN DUN!!”

  50. I decided, for fun, to turn my computer at it’s brightest and my room it’s darkest, and stare at the image for as long as possible. I timed myself for 30 seconds, and was aware that the hand had become almost 3D. The dog appeared to be moving, morphing into a human, yet still doglike. In the fingerprints at the bottom, I could see, if in tiny print, the words ‘SPREAD THE WORD.’

    Most likely my imagination, a hoax, but very thought-out.

  51. Wow…….. very freaky and that picture disturbed me. Also squidward’s suicide youtube video is freaking scary so smile real pic, to see it go on google and type in smile.jpg. trust me you’ll regret it……

  52. I have a headache blaaaaaaaaah ugg I think I’m going to go lay down now,….wait … never mind I think I’m going to stay up untill I get in a coma. :D spread the word…

  53. I have a headache blaaaaaaaaah ugg I think I’m going to go lay down now,….wait … never mind I think I’m going to stay up untill I get in a coma. :D

  54. The sad thing is I had a nightmare with this dog in it 8 years ago. Thanks to skydoesminecraft I now know the name of the horror in my dream. I have never seen it before outside my dream until that mod showcase.

  55. At first it scared the fuck out of me. Gave me a headache. After a while of rereading and staring at the picture, I’m no longer afraid. It looks like it has Doggie Dentures.

  56. Have a small headache, and I’m feeling really anxious about my surroundings, I have to keep turning my head to make sure nobody is there. I keep getting the feeling a prescence is behind me, strange.

    1. The headace is prolly because you where reading the screen for too long.

      You only feel presence when you do something scary, if you never read the story you would have felt nothing.

      ~Logic Strikes again

  57. i got a really bad headache the first time i read this story…and then i started having the same nightmare….and now im perfectly fine… :) ….NOT!!!! IM COMPLETELY INSANE!!!!!!! and im very happy and i never stop smiling :)

  58. the reason why its in there dreams is because the weird effect it stays in your eys aftervyou look at it for like ten seconds.

    TRY THIS:look at the picture or or one with the same effect for ten or more second and look at somthing comletly white. you should see the image.

  59. Lol, I don’t get what the big deal is. It is a good creepypasta, and made good use of photoshop, but really, that picture just doesn’t strike me as scary. Lol :P

  60. What is it with all these damn headaches! (Btw i got one too) Seriously, it doesn’t even have anything to do with the story! O_O

  61. SCIENCE TIME (Or psychology I think, one or the other)

    Granted the picture looks unnerving and odd but that’s kind of how our memory functions when it comes to memorizing how things usually look.

    staring at it long enough can cause the image itself to become embedded into your memories as a disturbing memory. usually these things can just come in as a nightmare if you continue thinking about the image.

    this is sort’ve why it creates headaches as it is kind of an iconic image that can make the victim rather uneasy the more they stare at it, as the grainy image tends to stress eyes the more they’re exposed to that type of stuff. though it can be ignored if you think about other things and such.

  62. oh yea DONT LOOK RIGHT IN TO THE EYES THEN ON UR LEFT HAND THE LONGER U LOOK U WILL GET CREEPED OUT DONT DO WAT I SAID

  63. Logical Expainations

    The headaches people are reporting to have after reading this story is probably from eye strain. this probably isn’t the first story anyone has read in their particular sitting, and when a person is staring at a computer screen or playing a video game your rate of blinking slows to about 8 times a minute versus 20 normally. I would suggest taking a 10 minute break.

  64. Well i couldnt sleep anyway.What the wrost that could happen.also im sending this from my ipod.did any see the comments go to the left side of thier ipod.or it itsone error.evan though they is no error message .that pic is creepy as hell

    1. I’m frowning at how many people are fooling themselves here. Maybe I’m “immune” to this kind of thing or I’m already crazy. Could be either.

  65. oh yeah it’s not like i was in a fight and then smile dog appeared in front of me and went raging against the attacker…OH WAIT! he kinda did XD

  66. LittleMissCreepypasta

    I really enjoyed this but it had no affect on me at all. And I think the reasoning behind everyone else being affected is because the pasta is acting like a placebo on your brains fear. Just thinking aloud.

    1. Agreed, but when I first saw the pic, the blood drained from my face and my heart started pounding…Power of the imagination I guess.

  67. The real power here is the curiosity…..there’s a saying that says"Curiosity kills"….anyway,very nice story…and my curiosity is pointing it’s knife on me…

  68. Oh my… I was scanning through the comments, reading about how others got a headache (after I had finished reading, of course.) I then decided to go look at the picture again… I scanned over the picture a few times then BAM! Headache. o.o Power of suggestion…? Or what? ._.

  69. awsome pasta :D nothing happened to me but to the headache weilders. look at the picture again AFTER your headache goes away. theres your answer.

  70. It bothers me to see some of you dismiss it as fake. Well no shit, of course it fake but its entertaining and scary at the least. Hearing someone say something is fake just completely ruins the expierience for me. Thanks for pointing that out captian obvious

  71. I got a headache… and I never get headaches!!!! maybe it’s the way the picture’s laid out/made that disagrees with some people?

  72. cool story. i think people are taking the piss talking about headaches though. or its this terrible white type on black background set-up. hurts my eyes big time. lol.

  73. The real one is not on google,bing,ask,or anywhere I look. But I WILL find it. I spend a half hour a day looking for it. Where the hell is the original?

  74. I read the story yesterday . First I was scrolling fast , but then realized that there could actually be the pic attached , so I slowed down and when I saw the picture was starting – I turned off the page .
    I kept thinking about this pic all day. Was really curious. But made myself look at it only after I read the comments…
    It was not really what I expected , but I did not get any headache or a seizure…yet.
    on the other hand I did spread the word :P

  75. Holy shit!…Look at those teeth! Man, I wish my teeth were that flawless…They’re so white, and straight…:(

    And oddly enough the dog looks almost exactly like my husky Vladamir. Even the markings look so similar.

  76. so, i feel like i’m going to sound completely insane. but i stared at the picture for a bit. you know cause, i’m into horror, and decided to see if i got any of these headaches you’re all talking about. and while i didnt get a headache, the longer i stared the more the picture seemed to come into focus. which is weird because usually when i stare at something, my eyes slide out of focus and the image becomes blurrier. the eyes seemed to glow and for a second it looked like he was coming off the screen. needless to say i immediatley scrolled away from the damn thing. i dont think it will actualy jump out of my computer at me, but. i dont want to spend the rest of my life paranoid of my actually existing husky dog…

  77. I got a headache after I saw people say they has a headache..probably mental but I couldn’t look at the pic for too long..made me pretty…nervous…something bout it is…creepy..well written story..Hope I can sleep lolz..pic made me smile a little though

  78. The only experience I had from this picture was the dream of the dog telling me too spread the word, then he sung the lyrics to “Mo Murda” by Bone Thugs -n- Harmony. Thats it.

  79. you sick freak. if u had any idea of the damage the real picture could do, you wouldn’t even joke about this. wouldn’t even post it on creepypasta. i hope you find the real picture. i hope that it destroys you before you use it to destroy others

    1. Yeah, when I saw the picture I thought, “this is just a picture of a dog! This guy just has mad Photoshop skills.” There is nothing creepy about this. At all.

  80. I scrolled down to see the pic before reading the story and got a headache, thought nothing of it but the comments now have me scared.

  81. No headache. Read this from my iPod so maybe that’s why?? Creepy pic but the more I look at it the more it doesn’t bother me

  82. In other times and places, it has been a coin, as well as a tiger, an astrolabe, the bottom of a well, and a vein in a marble column in a mosque.

  83. I ALWAYS check these pastas for creepy pics, just so I don’t stumble upon them.
    ALWAYS.
    But for some reason, I didn’t do that for this one.

    I thought I was being unreasonable. … Then I saw it.
    Just a glimpse, then I quickly scrolled back up. I scrolled down to the comments this time, shaking, my hand over the image.

    I don’t know if it gives you a headache. I don’t want to know.
    This pasta is excellent, really creepy, but I hated the attachment at the end. Made the blood drain from half my body.

    Thank you for the pasta, though. A good one, although I won’t read it again. Like, ever.

    :D

  84. i love this story, i wish the picture was a bit creepier though! it just looks like he shakes his head and the flash caught him when he was looking ahead..

    i didn’t get a headache though! but you guys it might be because you’re scrolling through a fairly long-ish story in white 12-pt font on a black background… just saying.

  85. So yeah.. i kinda saw that the picture was coming and i put my hand on it, i saw a glimpse of it though and i googled it and the pictures automaticly popped up so i saw a glimpse again.
    I got a sliiiight tiny bit of a coming headache. I’m kinda freaked out but i don’t think its real… i guess.. I don’t think its a real picture made by a camera just some photoshop. EPICLY cool story though!

  86. Just after I read this, something started moving outside my window. Fairly sure it’s a possum, but no amount of money could make me leave my bed to check right now

  87. I read this at night, alone in my bed, i was pretty scared and saw the pic one sec and got like a trauma. Next day i saw the pic in daylight and its not scary at all, the picture is fake of course, the story is not real, but its very good, i liked it.

  88. If you got a headache then it’s just a placebo effect guys, I got one too. Brains are good at playing tricks on you. >_>

  89. While reading the story I moved the script slow enough that I realized what was coming next so I put my hand over the picture and read the comments. However, after I read the comments I became serious and looked at the picture. I now have the beginning of a headache but the thing that scares me the most is that I’m sixteen and this the fifth headache I have ever had, at a really odd timing. Call me lame but I’m a tiny bit creeped.

  90. dawg…like…man bro. i got like da seezers and da hedakes but dawgmanbro when i fell the sleeps i had to coment. gayfakelame.

  91. good story, but this is the fake photo, the real one doesn’t have the white outline with fingerprints and the Photoshop smile is less human

  92. God not scary. there is a logical explanation to this. Ever heard of foto shop? or flash? yea logical explanations.

    The people who say that they had problems with the pic are freaking out too much.

    Get over it this isnt scary

  93. i thought it was gonna be another picture that i’ve seen on creepy pasta before, which was scarier to me (the picture i thought it would be) because the image i saw before kinda freaked me out all by itself. i couldnt really describe the picture i saw…it was a smiling…something…something that had no skin, something that you could see shear happiness in but it freaked you the fuck out. it looked like a hairless deformed, big ass dog maybe. ooohh eee oooh. lol

  94. this was an awsome story though if you look closely you can see blood on the hand and the teeth look human and i dount think you can photo shop those eyes as well this is a guess but maybe the dog took the persons teeth

  95. Th more I look at the picture the faster my heart starts to pound and I keep looking at it’s eyes and can’t look away

  96. I saw this picture a few years ago and in that time havent been reminded of it until now. I completely forgot about this picture. Its a creepy story, creepy image. But a story is all it is :) And I’m sure the people who got headaches (me being one of them) are more susceptible to headaches than others. Such a disturbing story can bring out negative affects to your brain and therefore your body. Nothing to worry about though, I suffer from migraines so me getting a headache after reading this and then seeing the picture for the second time in my life isnt too concerning for me. Still really liked this story though :) And dont fret because not everyone got headaches

  97. I got lucky. I read on my Kindle Fire and took it slow, so as soon as I saw the last line and a tiny sliver of a box, I closed my eyes and slid all the way to the bottom.

      1. I read on the kindle fire too. Some of you guys are sissies. You are convincing yourselves that you are going insane. And you know what? You believe it. I don’t know if this is fake or if I’m just”immune” to this kind of thing. I might be wrong.

  98. I saw the picture first before I started reading, and I kept rubbing my forehead because I felt like a headache was coming on. Now after reading some of the comments, I’m really freaked out that a few of you got headaches as well. Coincidence? Ahh D:

  99. You had me until the end, the picture makes it seem like a troll. That damn dog looks like he has someones dentures in his mouth. Hilarious.

  100. This was the first pasta I ever read on here. One of my favorites to. Do I believe it? A bit of yes a bit of no. Mostly no since I feel competely normal :D It’s a very interesting story

  101. I knew it was going to be that picture before even getting to the end of the story. I’ve seen it as some guys icon on a forum before. (though that one was cropped and colored red and looked a lot less blurry). Never a single ill affect to me.

  102. It gave me a headache… Is this the legitimate picture? Well the husky looks particularly beautiful and the hand like that of a teenager’s.

    Apparently some say this isn’t…. Wow my headache just got worse.

    However, I already have frequent nightmares so this won’t do anything to affect me.

    Besides, however superstitious I am, I don’t believe in such things as a picture driving you insane.

  103. I’m not religious, but I still felt better looking at the picture with a rosary around my neck and a cross in my hand. The longer I stared at it, the clammier my hands got, and I constantly felt like I was growing colder. My neck/arm/leg hairs stood on edge. It’s insane how much power a picture can have when you give it that power; remember that it’s just a picture and fight the urge to believe it can harm you, and you don’t get the associated headache.

    1. i am religious, and at first, i was really scared and had a headache. in my opinion, you are correct, we are giving the picture power, although in my belief, it is giving satan power to hurt you, not tricking yourself. once i realized this, my headache went away, and i felt waaaay less nervous. so he is right, guys, dont let this crap trick you. its not safe.

  104. Ugh, I don’t know if it was from the anticipation in seeing the picture but I now have a headache too…. crazy how it could do that..

  105. Anonymous Chick

    Uhm, the picture creeps me out. No headache yet, but jm showing this to my dad. Just so if I go insane my dad does too hahaa

    1. DAMN IT I HAD A STUPIDO NIGHTMARE BEFORE I SAW THE PICTURE, WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT FREAKING MEAN. I KNEW IT WAS A DREAM CAUSE I PINCHED MYSELF AND IT DIDN’T HURT.

  106. its legit but what happened is someone took a pic of a dog biting or or chewing while swinging its head derp

    1. June the Killer and Smile Dog BFFS FOREVER!

      *hugs Jeff* its ok Jeffy! Why not look at Smile Dog here? *smile dog comes out from behind me smiling at you* see! You guys got the same smile!

      1. You’ve moved yourself into a state of paranoia because of what you have read and what you have convinced yourself you are feeling.

  107. It looks legit… Eyes like that can’t be photoshopped.. For me it feels comforting to look at it… Dunno why…. But good story

  108. Not going to lie, got a bit of a headache, but it could be unrelated and I’m the same amount of insane I was before.

      1. you guys do know this is not the real picture right ? You have headache’s because you believe in this !! The real picture doesnt show the hand and the blood so yall might be hallucinating because when you want something to happen so bad your mind creates it so you start to feel like its happening”” but its not!!

    1. Well i read it once then i saw the picture and i didnt get it so i read it again then when i started to read i saw the lines start wavering like ripples in water just wondering just making sure that im not insane did anyone else have this issue???

      ?:)
      btw great story I enjoyed thouroghly

      1. I don’t think smile dog is scary at all my sister seems to think smile dog is cute!!!I would never be scared of smile dog, I wouldn’t care if I had a room wallpaper with a giant picture of smile dog, jus saying I agree with my sister…ish. just saying I is the craZiest person in the world.

        1. The first time i saw it i looked away. second ime i just laughed because it looked like those “doggy denchures” from that comerchial!

        2. That’s pathetic. Its a harmless picture of a dog with Photoshopped teeth and background with nothing even remotely creepy about it.

        3. Maybe me...or not?

          I think everybody knows that, but that is a story.
          And when you start reading it and you stop noticing your environment you get deep into the story and you start imagine it in your head.
          The exciting last words of the story.
          You’re scrolling down the page.
          And there it is!
          The picture from the story
          It’s scary when you’re still in the story and then see the picture.
          I’m from Germany and not so good in english but the story is really good (in spite of missing words…) and your reaction is different in a different environment.
          I’m sorry for my bad english and say goodbye

          always smile

          :)

        4. I agree squidwards suicide actually showed a real or “real” dead body (depending on your beliefs) but u could only see it if u paused the video while the static was going on, but other then that picture and the background story the rest wasnt really scary, even if it happened in rl

      1. How did this story get popular! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
        IT’S THE WORST STORY ON CREEPYPASTA!!!!
        WWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

    1. I saw the pic a while ago , I didn’t know that I had to show the pic to someone, and I never even dreamed of it.

      Fake

    2. search it up on google image on smile dog.jpg scarier not for faint harted to go looking for real one if this rumor is real which i doubt it u dont want to see real one stay away from this quest to fin dreal one i will never look for real one expet serch up on google only once never again plz give up quest for this one ps reading comments after reading really scary story makes it less scarier here smily faces ot make u feel better after reading this LOLZ :D C: :D :)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top