Advertisement
Please wait...

The Devil Game



Estimated reading time — 20 minutes

Pray, for devils have no reason
Satan waits to curse your ways
Have you seen it in his eyes in the sunset?
Have you wondered if he’s laughing when he plays?

– Kansas, “The Devil Game”

This is a set of instructions for how to speak with the Devil.

Advertisements

Which, as those of you with any sort of brains at all might note, is a patently moronic proposition on the face of it; one likely to culminate in any number of thoroughly unpleasant fates. Honestly, it would probably be smarter to publish your credit card number on Facebook, or take up a career in crocodile-wrestling.

But then, that isn’t going to stop you, is it? Not if you’re sincerely interested, at least. Technically, if you do everything just right, there’s a fair chance you’ll walk away scot-free; and that seems to be reason enough for some people to decide that it’s a good idea. Especially if you’re the fate-tempting, thrill-seeking, scare-junkie type. Or the desperate type.

Which brings me to a point of clarification I ought to make. This is NOT a manual for making any kind of Faustian bargain – you know, the whole sell-your-soul type of deal. Although if you happened to bring it up in conversation, he certainly wouldn’t be one to refuse. Following through with such a foolhardy bargain, however, would necessitate removing some the protections which you will put in place for your conversation, and I don’t think I need to spell out for you why that would be a BAD idea. If you’re really mathematically impaired enough to want to trade something that will last an infinite number of years for something that might last about 90 (tops), there are plenty of other rituals out there for you to follow. This one, if performed correctly, should only allow the two of you to talk.

This, perhaps, begs the question of WHY exactly you would want to speak with the Devil in the first place. (Maybe some of you just like the idea of making small talk with extremely dangerous occult entities, but for the sake of the human race I hope most of you aren’t quite that stupid.) Short answer is – he KNOWS things. Things that some of you may have a deep, vested interest in finding out. I mean, he’s not omniscient or anything – much as he might like to pretend otherwise, he’s not God – but he’s definitely got a supernatural advantage over the kind of knowledge any human would be able to obtain. For example, he probably wouldn’t be able to predict when the next World War will happen, or tell you the cure for cancer… but he could very well be able to predict the winning numbers of tomorrow’s $500 million Powerball drawing, or tell you what deadly, undiagnosed condition might be afflicting one of your loved ones.

Of course, the Prince of Darkness doesn’t just go around giving out winning lottery numbers to anybody who asks. And trusting any sort of information obtained from a being commonly described as “the father of all lies” is liable to land you in a worse situation than you were in when you started. However, if you’re really dead set on finding something out, and you’ve exhausted all other options, there IS a way to try to get accurate information out of the guy.

You see, like so many of the more urbane villains in popular culture, the Devil has a bit of a penchant for games and gambling. Of course, the reason he likes them so much is that he almost always wins. Unless you happen to be a fiddler named Johnny or are being represented by Daniel Webster, you’re probably going to get your ass handed to you. But, if you’re determined enough to want to face the risks and the long odds, there’s a certain game the two of you could play to try to win the information you need.

Advertisements

First things first, though. We’ll start off with a description of the summoning process, then get into the rules of the game, some tips for how to play, and finally, of course, the inevitable litany of arcane shit that might go horribly wrong.

In order to contact your conversational partner, you’ll need to go to a church at midnight. It doesn’t matter what kind of church – large or small, old or new, liberal or conservative – just as long as you’re sure it will be empty. The last thing you want is for some preacher to walk in on you while you’re in the middle of this (for the sake of the preacher’s well-being, as much as your own). The process will probably work best if you try it on a new moon, or a full moon, or Friday the 13th, or Halloween… the actual day is less important that the psychological effect it has on you (as long as you don’t try it on Christmas Eve or something stupid like that, you should be fine).

The time IS important, though. You don’t have to start or end your ritual at exactly 12:00:00am Greenwich Atomic time or anything, but as a general rule of thumb you ought to show up a bit before midnight and have everything set up by no later than ten or fifteen after. Show up a LOT before midnight if you don’t know how you’re going to get in. Shockingly enough, most Houses of God do tend to lock their doors at night, at least if no one’s there to watch over them (and remember, we want EMPTY, got it?)

There are, of course, certain things you need to bring, and certain things you can’t bring. For this ritual, you will NEED:
• A full can of salt – you won’t need to use all of it, but it’s always better to have more than you need than to have less.
• Seven candles, red or white being preferable.
• Something to light the candles with. You would be shocked how often people forget this. Occult ritual or not, they aren’t going to magically light themselves!
• A length of red string, rope, yarn, or thread.
• A full-length floor or wall mirror. Ideally, you’ll want to find one of these already present in the church (they’re a bit unwieldy to be lugging around with you during a break-in). However, if there really aren’t any there, you’ll have to bring your own.

You might also find it useful to bring some markers, pencils, paper, a flashlight, and any sort of tools that might be necessary to secure your entrance into the church.

You will NOT be permitted to bring in any electronic or timekeeping devices. THIS INCLUDES all cell phones, smartphones, tablets, E-Readers, mp3 players, PDAs, calculators, wristwatches, pocket watches, kitchen timers, hourglasses, etc, etc, etc. (Seriously, it’s worse than the SAT.) If you’re one of those people that has your smartphone practically wired into your brain, don’t worry – you can bring those things with you to the church as long as you leave them OUTSIDE the room in which you will be doing the ritual. If you brought a flashlight (helpful for finding your way around without attracting unwanted attention), leave that outside too.

Also, don’t bring in any sort of religious paraphernalia to protect you, especially if it pertains to the Abrahamic religions. (And yes, if those goth-y black cross earrings you’re wearing are hanging right-side up, they count.) If you have any kind of holy symbols like that with you, the Devil will simply refuse to show up.

Don’t worry, you’re not going in totally unprotected. In fact, most of the supplies with you are not for any sort of Devil-summoning ritual, but for your own protection – old superstitions and folk magic remedies to guard oneself from evil. From what I know of it, the effect’s mostly based on the power of belief, so there are probably numerous other objects, artifacts, and procedures that would work just as well. If you’d like to risk being left helpless at the mercy of the Devil in order to test that theory, feel free to experiment! However, for anyone without a psychotic death wish, I’d recommend sticking to the ritual as follows:

Once you’re sure you have all the right supplies with you, make your way into the church and find someplace to set up. It can be anywhere from the main sanctuary where services are held, to a Sunday school classroom, to a walk-in supply closet – as long as you have a sufficient amount of open floor space and are certain not to be disturbed. Set up your mirror first – this is where the Devil will appear when you summon him. As such, you mustn’t complete the summoning until you’ve laid down certain wards around it.

First, surround the mirror with an unbroken circle of salt. If the mirror is hanging on a wall or door, lay down a semicircle around it instead, making sure that the salt touches the wall at both ends. Then, wrap your red string around the mirror several times. The color red, especially red string, is symbolic of protection in the folklore of many cultures and religions. This is also why red candles are a good idea.

Speaking of the candles, set them up around the outside of your circle (or semicircle) of salt, spaced at relatively even intervals. No, you do not have to get out measuring tape and make it exactly perfect, but do at least try to make it look as though it was set up by someone old enough to be trusted with matches. Light the candles in a clockwise fashion, being careful not to disturb the salt – if you break the circle, you’ll have to start all over again. Once all of the candles are lit and burning strongly, your protective wards are complete. You are now ready to proceed to the actual summoning.

To do so, you first must get the Devil’s attention and demonstrate your resolve by performing some sort of sacrilegious act in the holy space. Turning a crucifix or cross upside-down is fairly conventional, but it’s not the only option. For example, I know of a kid who once fulfilled this requirement by scribbling obnoxious graffiti all over a painting of Jesus hanging in his Sunday school classroom.

(The nice thing about turning a cross upside-down is that once you’ve finished your encounter – assuming you’ve survived it in one piece – you can just flip it right-side-up again and no one’s the wiser… sidestepping the relatively minor but still irritating risk of having your Sunday school turn into a reenactment of the Spanish Inquisition for the next month and a half.)

After you’ve finished doing whatever offensive thing you decide on, shut all doors to the room and turn off all of the lights, so that the space is lit only by the candles. Face the mirror and stare deeply into it, concentrating on your desired outcome. There are no incantations, no arcane strings of Latin you have to recite. Just look into the mirror and wish as hard as you can for the Devil to appear there. After a few moments of this, when you feel ready, close your eyes and count to ten. Then open them.

If all has gone correctly, you will no longer see your own reflection. You will be looking at the Devil… or at least, looking at the way the Devil has chosen to appear to you. Chances are, he won’t look like your conventional red, horned demon with goat legs and a pitchfork, nor any other sort of terrible apparition. No point in scaring you off now… better to lure you in, make you feel safe. To that end, he generally takes on the appearance of a fairly average, nondescript human being. If anything, he’s prone to vanity and will lean towards the more attractive end of the spectrum.

The only really frightening part of him will be his eyes. No matter how hard he tries, he can’t hide the sinister gleam smoldering deep within them, the malevolent amusement and hunger, like the eyes of a spider contemplating a fly struggling in its web. They’re supremely confident, those eyes… confident, and without pity. Don’t look into them too deeply, or you’ll begin to feel helpless and paralyzed with dread, losing your hope and your will to fight.

Since you’ll probably be just standing there staring at him in shock for a few moments (having on some level expected for the ritual to fail), he’ll initiate the conversation by asking you what it is you desire from him. If you can gather your wits enough to string together a coherent sentence, you should respond with something like: “I wish to challenge you in a game of question-and-response.”

Even if you don’t get the words exactly right, he’ll know what you mean, and he’ll accept your request with a wide, predatory grin of anticipation. He’s been playing this game for a long time, you see, and he’s very good at it. Most humans, on the other hand, are very bad at it. This gives him a chance to, at the very least, thoroughly mess with your mind, and at most… well, we’ll save that for the “litany of shit that could go wrong.” You’ll have to play it very smart to avoid justifying his expectations.

The general rules to the game are very simple, with a few caveats that can make things more complicated. He’ll begin by asking you a question (he always initiates the game). It can be anything from a piece of obscure trivia, to a riddle, to an extremely personal inquiry. Don’t worry, you won’t be immediately plunged into Hell if you get the wrong answer or anything like that. As a matter of fact, he won’t even tell you whether you got the answer right or wrong.

After you’ve answered his question, you get to ask him one in return. Now, here’s where the consequences of your response come in. If you answered his last question correctly, he will respond to your question as honestly and accurately as he is able. However, if you answered it incorrectly, he is free to lie to you as he sees fit. Perhaps if you’ve asked him something you’re better off not knowing, he’ll tell you the truth about it anyway. More likely, he’ll feed you the most insidious, damaging lie he can come up with. Either way, after he’s responded, he’ll ask you another question, and the process will repeat over and over again until you decide to call it quits.

Now, you may be sitting there thinking that it sounds fairly easy to get the information you need… all you have to do is wait for a question you can answer correctly, and then take that opportunity to ask him what you really want to know, ignoring everything else he’s said. Well, it’s not that simple. The Devil will never give you an easy question, one that you can be completely sure of the answer to.

He may instead give you questions that you have some vague knowledge of, that you think MAYBE you know the answer to but aren’t really confident… thus forcing you to endlessly second-guess yourself, obsessing over whether or not you can trust the information that he gave you next. Perhaps you’ll think that what he said was a lie, WISH it was a lie, but be eternally consumed by doubt, unable to fully convince yourself that you were wrong. Or perhaps you’ll have to make a huge choice based on the information that he gave you, and be tormented by fear and indecisiveness as you realize that your fate (and perhaps that of others, as well) rests entirely upon whether or not you were able to correctly recall some arcane piece of trivia that you don’t even remember now.

(You’ll never remember the exact questions the Devil asked you, by the way; that would make it too easy for you to go back and check on your responses).

Or maybe, instead of testing your knowledge, he’ll ask you something personal, something you even lie to yourself about. You’ll answer back to him, thinking you’ve gotten the question correct (“No, I don’t resent my sister”… “Yes, I would turn the money in to the police!”) – but he’ll know better. He’ll know better than you do that you’re lying, and he’ll lie to you in return. And you’ll believe him. You’ll believe him until you are no longer able to deceive yourself, and by then it might be too late…

Or maybe… maybe he won’t even give you a chance to get an accurate response at all. Maybe he’ll just ask you endless strings of completely impossible questions, making you more and more frustrated and disheartened as you realize you’ll never be able to force him to tell you the truth. Questions like:

“What was the exact height of Mount Everest in centimeters in the year 1666?”

Or “What is the air-speed-velocity of an un-laden swallow?”

(Although, knowing his sense of humor, if he ever asked the latter he might consider “African or European?” a correct response.)

There ARE a couple of ways to short-circuit this particular strategy, however – additional rules and courses of action that make the game more interesting and prevent you from being stonewalled completely. Although in all honesty, he probably wants for you to try one of those options anyway.

The first option is to ask him a riddle instead of a question. If you somehow manage to stump him and he answers the riddle wrong or gives up, he’ll be obligated to give you a truthful response to your next question. If he answers the riddle correctly – once again, don’t worry, he won’t pounce on you like a sphinx or drag you into Hell. What WILL happen is that he will get a “pass,” allowing him to lie in response to one question he would otherwise be obligated to answer truthfully.

Honestly, if he gets a pass, you might as well just give up and quit the game right there. It’s nearly impossible to determine when he’s telling you the truth under the best of conditions. Adding another layer of complexity by constantly trying to figure out when and if he’s used his pass… it’s about enough to make any normal person’s brain explode. There’s no way. Just forget it.

The second option is for you to take a “dare” from him. If you accept it and vow to follow through, then once again he’ll have to answer your next question truthfully. If you choose instead to reject it, he’ll get another “pass.”

Advertisements

Now before you freak out and reject that whole idea completely, you should know that he won’t ask you to do anything overly dramatic or unspeakably evil, like blow up a hospital or murder somebody. As a rule of thumb, most dares won’t involve direct loss of life or any major felonies. However, they certainly won’t be easy. Inflicting severe pain on yourself, doing something that terrifies the shit out of you… cutting off a treasured relationship, publicly humiliating yourself or someone you love… all of these things and more, things you might not even be able to imagine, are completely on the table.

If you’re willing to go that far, to put yourself in that kind of position… you’ll get your answer. However, if he manages to come up with the one thing you know you simply can’t or won’t do… well, then once again you might as well just quit.

One last thing – DON’T think you can just tell him you’re going to do something and then not do it. If you accept a dare and then don’t follow through with it… well, let’s just say there will be consequences. Just suck it up and keep your promise, no matter WHAT it was. Trust me, you’re better off that way.

Finally, when you’ve either gotten the information you wanted or given up on it completely, you may end the ritual by simply thanking the Devil for accepting your request, bowing politely at the waist, and bidding him farewell. The surface of the mirror will seem to swim and flicker for a moment, and then you will be looking at your own reflection again. Only when you are absolutely certain that you’re looking into your own two eyes again may you turn away from the mirror, flick the lights back on, and begin dismantling your protections.

Now – and this is important – even if you haven’t gotten the information that you wanted, you MUST end the ritual in this manner before 66 minutes have elapsed. Well, I suppose that technically you have 66 minutes and 6 seconds (subtle, right?), but if you’re seriously going to try to cut it that close without any kind of timekeeping device, you’re probably screwed anyway. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is that you keep to this time limit. I’ll save the reason behind that for the end, but don’t skip ahead… I’ve still got a few important tips on how to play:

1. Be very careful what sort of personal information you give out. Try not to talk about yourself, especially your emotions and problems, any more than absolutely necessary. This guy knows human psychology like the back of his hand, and he WILL get inside of your head. It’s like talking to Hannibal Lecter. Give him enough to work with and, even if you don’t believe a single word he says, he will still find ways to fuck with your mind like nobody’s business. If anything he asks makes you even remotely uncomfortable, do not hesitate to lie through your teeth. There will be plenty of other questions.

2. On a similar note, try to keep the game on track and moving briskly. Unstructured interactions of any kind are to be avoided. Chances are that at some point he will try to draw you off on a tangent – discussing something that fascinates you, analyzing a response you’ve given him, or finding some other excuse to speak at length without moving the game forward. This is not only a waste of valuable time but also another excellent opportunity to mess with your mind.

3. If you choose to give him a riddle, use one you’ve made up yourself. If your riddle has ever been written down anywhere at all, from the pages of “The Hobbit” to some long-lost tome of ancient magic, he will already know the answer. That said, it still has to be a LEGITIMATE riddle, with an answer that makes logical sense from some angle. You can’t just ask something like “What’s green, has ten legs, and hops?” then claim for some inexplicable reason that the answer was “marshmallows.” Nor can you ask him a straight question like “What have I got in my pocket?” (he probably knows that, anyway). There are no hard-and-fast rules to determine whether a riddle makes sense or not, but you’re a reasonable human being. Your ancestors ate from the Tree of Knowledge. Please, for the love of crap, use common sense.

4. If you choose to take a dare, there is a slight chance that the Devil will ask you to do something seemingly easy… deliver a letter, for instance, or scribble a ten-digit number in a public restroom stall. If he does ask you for something like this, and you have even a shred of common decency in you, do NOT accept. Chances are that he’s using you to further some sinister plot, one liable to ruin a lot of lives and harm a lot of people. Who knows, maybe you’re the type of person who really doesn’t mind throwing an unknown number of total strangers under a bus to find out what you want to know… but at least be aware that that IS what you’re doing.

5. Last, but not least, be very aware of the time. It might be helpful to do some practicing beforehand and get a feel for how long an hour is without a watch. The Devil will probably put off discussing the things you’re most keen to find out for as long as he can; and as you near the 66 minute deadline, he’ll start trying harder and harder to distract you, captivate you, and otherwise keep you playing until it’s too late. He’ll string you along, feed you little glimmers of false hope, keep you thinking: “Just a few more minutes… I’m almost there!” Don’t fall for it. Don’t go over the time limit. No matter what.

Now, you might be thinking that this game really doesn’t sound all that dangerous so far… threats of psychological damage rarely seem to carry the same weight as threats of physical damage, even though their costs are often just as great. Hate to burst your bubble, but the game is FAR from safe. There are plenty of ways for you to seriously screw yourself over both physically and mentally (not to mention spiritually). And it is with these that I will conclude, in the vain hope that they may make some sort of impression…

First, while you are speaking with the Devil, do NOT let him out of your sight. Keep staring into the mirror no matter what happens. He will undoubtedly try various tricks to make you look away… You will hear noises behind you, feel eyes on the back of your neck, see shadowy phantoms writhing in the depths of the mirror. A cold breath will blow upon you from behind, smelling like the crypt. A deep silence will settle, only to be interrupted by a loud SMACK directly behind your head, giving you about the worst jump-scare you’ve ever had. Hell, the Devil may even abandon a measure of his own dignified façade and give a sudden jump of feigned shock, shouting loudly and pointing behind you with a very convincing look of terror on his face. Whatever he might test you with, you must not look away from him. If you look away, if you lose sight of him completely – even for one second – you will look back at the mirror to find him gone.

Well, not gone. Out of the mirror. In the room.

With you.

Exactly how much of your body the police will find the next morning, and what state it’s in, will depend entirely on the sort of mood he’s in.

The same thing goes if you break any of the protections you laid down before beginning the ritual. Interrupting the circle of salt, letting the red string unwind, knocking over a candle or letting one go out… any of these things will free him from the mirror, and then – well, you’re all a bunch of creative horror junkies. I’m sure you can fill in the blanks.

On a different topic, you may reach a point in the game (probably after a long series of maddeningly impossible questions) where the Devil asks you the deceptively simple question “What is your full name?” You MUST NOT give it to him. Names can be things of great power. Although the Devil will, of course, already know your name, telling it to him yourself is akin to inviting a vampire into your home. Your name is deeply synonymous with your own, inner self; thus, giving him your name is powerfully symbolic of giving him your self. If you are foolish enough to make this mistake, all of your protections will be for naught, and he will seize upon your unwitting offer with malicious glee, stealing away your soul and dragging it back with him into Hell.

At least this way the police will find a complete, identifiable body. As a matter of fact, your vacant shell will be totally unblemished, seemingly having dropped dead of sheer terror.

Last, but certainly not least, there’s the matter of what happens if you go over the time limit. This is arguably the worst thing you can do. You won’t think so at first… the Devil will give you no indication that you have in fact exceeded the time limit and you will conclude the ritual as if nothing had gone wrong. Perhaps, as the Devil’s image in the mirror trembles and gives way, you’ll see a particularly nasty, triumphant smirk flash across his face, but this will be easily dismissed as your imagination. You’ll turn the lights back on, gather your belongings, and go to leave the room. But, when you open the door, you will see… nothing.

Advertisements

That’s right, nothing. Just a flat, white void extending infinitely in all directions. Only the room which was reflected in the mirror will now exist.

Incidentally, if you turn back around to face the mirror again, you may catch a last glimpse of your own reflection. Perhaps it will even turn and favor you with a smirk and a cheeky wave before sweeping out the door into the perfectly normal church hallway outside.

As you may have already figured out, you yourself are no longer in the church. Your soul is now trapped in the mirror, and the Devil has taken the liberty of possessing your body, now that you are no longer using it.

Pound on the glass and scream all you like, you’ll never get out on your own, and no exorcist can help you. But don’t worry, it’s not like you’re in Hell, right? At least, not necessarily…

What you have to understand, see, is that a human soul stripped bare of its flesh is a deeply volatile and vulnerable thing, especially when trapped in the land of the living. You are now an entity of purely mental properties, and as such, the barriers between what is real to you and what is imaginary have been completely dissolved. As you fill that reflected room with your anger, your sorrow, your fear at being trapped, these emotions will begin to coalesce, given form by your mind. If you’re not particularly imaginative, these creatures may not be too terrible, may not be able to inflict too much horror and pain. With time, you may even be able to teach yourself to get rid of them.

If, however, yours is a mind haunted by monsters…a mind that is vibrantly creative and imaginative and more than usually twisted… well, there’s no telling what horrors might come clawing their way out of the maelstrom, tasting sweet release from the confines of your subconscious, hungering for your terror and suffering. They will refuse to be banished, dragging you kicking and screaming into an endless positive feedback loop of pain and fear.

Needless to say, if you’re a regular patron of websites like this one, you’re probably pretty well fucked.

There’s only one way to find release from the mirror and the world that you’ve created therein. They say that if you call to the Devil once more and ask him to free you from the mirror, he’ll be willing to take you out.

For the usual fee, of course.

Who knows, maybe if your imagination is twisted and powerful enough to create a personal Hell that leaves you begging for the real thing, those talents might be put to good use. There are over seven billion people in the world, after all; even the Devil himself can’t be messing with all of their minds at once. Talented help is always appreciated.

Of course, the corollary to your being trapped inside the mirror is that the Devil now gets to do whatever he wants in your body until sunrise. At around that time, your body will mercifully drop dead from the strain of the possession; autopsy will probably identify the cause as some kind of coronary event. Don’t get too relieved, though, he’s perfectly capable of stirring up plenty of trouble in those few hours.

For instance, he may decide to do something big and dramatic, like purchase a large meat cleaver and go on a murder spree, starting with the names in your address book and working his way out to complete strangers if he has time. Or perhaps he’ll focus on only one person, someone who trusts you completely, using your persona to get him or her alone and vulnerable, and then… well, no need to describe it here. Once again, I’m sure you can think of a few things.

Starting to see why I called this the worst outcome yet?

Of course, there’s also a chance he won’t lay a finger on any of your loved ones, instead deciding to do something a little more subtle… more insidious. Like drop off a few nondescript, unmarked packages on certain doorsteps in the dangerous part of town. Or locate a particular dusty, age-yellowed text in the storeroom of your local library and intentionally misfile it in the Young Adult Literature section. Or whisper seven very choice words into the ear of the distracted-looking young redhead waiting for the 3am subway train.

Or maybe he’ll decide that, in this age of waning superstition, not enough people are getting interested in his games, and the knowledge of them is in danger of being lost. Maybe he’ll decide he needs to get the word out a bit more, do a bit of networking, attract some new suckers… ahem, “challengers.” Maybe he’ll take a quick peek at your browser history, see where the impressionable, curious minds are hanging out these days. Maybe he’ll even write a quick tutorial, in modern parlance rather than some inscrutable, obsolete demonological text… post it on the Internet and see how many bites he gets…

Haha, maybe I really shouldn’t have gone there. But if you’ve made it this far without shying, a little twist at the end isn’t going to put you off, is it, dear Reader? I’m sure there are plenty of intrepid adventurers among you with burning questions you’d like answered. And you’re all a smart bunch. You know the pitfalls, you know the conventions, you live and breathe this sort of thing, do you not? There’s no way YOU’D fall into any of the obvious traps, right? You’re not some Dick or Jane off the street, after all; you’d be bringing a whole new level of competition. You would…

Oh, excuse me just a moment, I think I hear someone calling for me…

What? You want out that badly ALREADY? Must be one Hell of an imagination you’ve got on you.

Perfect.


Credit: InfernalNightmare333 / Casey Pierce

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

243 thoughts on “The Devil Game”

  1. If people have common sense, they will avoid any interaction with Satan and not try to provoke the Father of all lies .

  2. Not bad at all… one of the few pastas i have tasted that had me engrossed in the story and left me with a smile on my face.

  3. Jerome Filimore McFinickywhiskers Wrongpocket

    The excellent writing earned you a 10. The Monty Python reference ensured that rating.

  4. From when you have to put a disclaimer on a fictional stories because some price might try to re-enact it in real life, well you might as well stop writing altogether cuz freedom of speech doesn’t count for shit and obviously now neither does common sense, I have 129 novels in my possession from Stephen King to to caleb carr not one disclaimer and as for this sites administratives….seriously I mean seriously if it was that bad you would have taken the story down not put a disclaimer and as for the author why are you now going to go all out and put disclaimers on all your work but then I guess any publicity is good publicity…right.

  5. ABSOLUTELY LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS !!!! And yes, I’m shouting all that’s in caps lock. Fantastic story, well written and paced. 10 out of ten from me. Highest I’ve ever given a pasta hence far.

  6. It was okay throughout but the end just destroyed it for me. Went from a 7/10 to 3/10. Just my opinion.

  7. This is one of my favorites. Sad to see something happened because it was taken the wrong way. I actually hadn’t heard about that, might have to look it up now

  8. Muay Thai99ils

    There actually is a way to cheat in the game. In case no one noticed, one could lie voluntarily to the devil, and then knowing that the devil’s next answer will be a lie.
    Thus, you could ask yes and no questions and unless you’re a real idiot you’ll have the right answer.

  9. Truly a great story. Loved it. But! Like others are saying the ending could use some work. Say end it when the instructor, or the Devil, excuses himself; to me the whole dialog in something as ‘instructional’ as this piece is seems out of place.
    Overall 8/10

  10. It was a well written pasta and i enjoyed it very much. I liked the insults throughout, and the ending really covered my questions, while i was reading this i just keep asking myself “how would anybody know this? The people who knew about it died, so how can you possibly get this info?” So overall, a great story, definitely a 10/10 :)

  11. Am I the only one that caught the fact that the instructions said not to end the ritual before 66 minutes, and then changed?

  12. I loved this story, gave the feeling of reality and yet the tingle of not wanting the truth and knowing in a creepy way that some people will be compelled to do this, real or not real. 10/10

  13. well done to the person who written this story was very entertaining for myself to read very detailed as well and last interesting.

  14. I think all that said it was ruined by the last sentences didn’t think about it deep enough. When I sat back and took it all in that’s when it really creeper me out… and I’ve got two floor to ceiling mirrors right in front of me. Creepy!

  15. Two questions, please. First, what if two people try to do this at the same time? Like, there’s two people in the warded space? Would that be cheating? Second, what about pagan religious symbols? I have a friend who worships the Norse gods who has Thor’s hammer tattooed on their wrist…would this count as a religious symbol and mean the Devil will not appear?

  16. Wow, I was actually slightly terrified for a minute there. And the twist..I gotta say, I really didn’t see it coming. I’m not a fan of twists, but I admit it caught me off guard.

  17. The ending got me, I read the whole thing thinking “why is this just a tutorial, I wish it would be a story” but then at the end the devil was the one writing and in that persons body and the whole thing got a little more convincing

  18. This is my favorite creepy pasta of all time…By the way what happens if you don’t complete the dare?

  19. *SPOILER* Im surprised some people didn’t like the twist. The whole time I’m thinking, “this is creepy, but how can this guy possibly know about this game in SO much detail??” and then that ending hits and it all makes sense. Great story, you sir are a great writer! Its very confident, some humor thrown in, it sounds like it would be written by a humanoid rendition of the devil. I r8 8/8

  20. I have some questions:
    1. What if you accept a dare where you have to turn around in the middle of the ritual, thus causing the Devil getting out of the mirror and inevitably possessing/killing you?

    2. What if you go over the 66-minute time limit, but you prevent the Devil escaping from the mirror, so that he is unable to take over your body and possess it till sunrise [that implies you talking to him till the sun comes up]? Is that possible? And if not, what would happen when the sun finds you still talking?
    3. Can you just summon him to say ”hello” and then wave goodbye at him and end the ritual? Do you think he’d be offended and lose his shit?
    4. If the ritual takes place in a church, doesn’t that mean we are surrounded by supposedly holy objects, so why do I have to leave mine home?
    Looking forward to your answers :)

    1. i think i can answer them for you lol
      1. He states that the dare wont necessarily be done right then and there, that he will ask you to do something later on, and he will know if you dont do it.
      2. i would assume that after 66 minutes( and 6 seconds) it will have possibly given him enough time to gather the strength necessary to break free and posses you, which then would answer the sun theory. you wouldnt live long enough to see it.
      3. Im sure he could care less, i mean he tortures people for all eternity.
      4. it states you should not have them on you, reason being its added protection for you and thus ruining his fun (thats why he wont show)
      i hope that helps a little sorry for long post ;P

  21. I absolutely loved this story, a well deserved 10/10. I love ritual creepypastas, and this one is my favorite so far; I’m so tempted to write a ritual creepypasta myself. And that ending, I honestly was flailing my arms like “Oh ma gerd!” when I understood the twist. Also, the little joke “Seriously, it’s worse than the SAT”, that cracks me up every time.

  22. I think that last sentence actually works well when it’s being read by someone, reading the twist ending kind of ruins it, but having the ending read by one of those youtube guys actually makes for a sick fuckin ending.

  23. Amazing:) I enjoyed it so much but I’ve been really interested talking to God or the devil I probibaly won’t do it cuz of the consecenses it has (sorry for the spelling) but idk I’ve been very interested so I’ve been reading storys and watching vids and just reading things like this so thank u :) and I am just going to start the book 4 nights with the devil :)

  24. There really needs to be a movie based off of this, I’m completely serious. This is one of the best stories I’ve ever heard.

  25. TheUnwatedPickle

    People keep asking, “What if I blink?” Come on guys, don’t be smart asses. In fact, blinking doesn’t take a whole second. Fantastic story, though!

  26. I really feel that if you would of stopped at the You would… that would of been a great ending. Yummy pasta, just wish everything after the last you would would of not been there.

  27. Alphawolfuniverse

    I’m supposed to be typing a paper, I got distracted on youtube and somehow ended up here in a three hour time period.

  28. It got creepier as I began to suspect who was actually writing it. But to make it scarier I would have left it more open ended, like for the reader to decide. Not that it was bad, but the ending made me laugh which made me less scared. All in all though, good read.

  29. infernal nightmare I have some questions
    1. How can I NOT give him my full name assumign he even asks
    2.What happens when I blink?
    3. Can I set rules that prevent him from doing shit like trying to make me look away?
    4. What is the usual fee
    I dont want to try this, just curious

  30. The disclaimer completely derailed the story. It would’ve been as scary read by a third grade teacher to her classroom, following a disclaimer like that.

  31. This was actually one of the best things I’ve read, and I’d be lying if I said I’m not tempted to actually try this at this old abandoned church an hour away from my home tonight

  32. Saw the twist coming, but nonetheless VERY entertaining!

    Asimov wrote a couple of similar stories you might be interested in.

  33. good story but the main goal of the devil is to turn you away from god. So him showing up proves that there is a god and the devil hates that. If any thing he should not show up to turn u away from god. Next if for some reason u get this shit to work ask him questions about god like why he wasnt powerful enough to get Jesus to except his offer. good story though

  34. I am SO disappointed that you had to put a disclaimer up. Just because there are a couple of absolute flaming morons in the world does NOT mean your work needs a disclaimer. You are not responsible for idiots behaving like animals so don’t think you are. I’d take this disclaimer down, there is no need for it whatsoever.

    1. InfernalNightmare333

      Thanks for your input :) Eventually I plan to replace it with a shorter “disclaimer” (basically just an author’s note saying: This is fictional, so don’t try it), but I feel like it’s probably best to leave it the way it is for a little while. It’s really nice to hear your reassurance, though!

  35. I’ve read this before and it was just as good the second time. Let’s go have lunch or something, let me pick your brain. :)

  36. I liked it bcuz I like reading anything to do with the devil no matter wut it is n also I was surprised any1 mentioned the devil on creepy pasta lol

  37. I liked the general concept of this story, but was bored with its execution. The tired old cliches really disappointed me and left a lot to be desired in my opinion. The salt and candles and “desecrating act in a church” are all very tired and overused. I was disappointed that something more original wasn’t used instead (although I found it refreshing that there was a bit about “He isn’t red and horned like you might imagine” or some such thing).

    I expected the story to be much better than it actually was, given the disclaimer that’s been added to the beginning. Which was, in and of itself, confusing. I don’t see how this lukewarm, cliched pasta has anything to do with the recent stabbings. I see no connection whatsoever. However, if the disclaimer hadn’t been there, I wouldn’t have read the story at all.

    All that being said, I enjoyed the writing style. The voice was lovely, and I enjoyed the twist at the end – I totally didn’t even see it coming. But I thoroughly enjoyed that ending. It was probably my favorite part. (Not in a mean or rude way. I really felt the last bit had the most depth and shock value to it.) All things considered, I give it a 5/10.

    1. InfernalNightmare333

      Thanks for your comments and constructive criticism! I added the disclaimer because I was alerted that several people had been submitting negative/harassing comments to this story in an attempt to shift the blame off of Slenderman. I too see no connection and was very surprised at the attention directed towards the story; but I decided that the best response would be to take responsibility for clarifying (to detractors and to any impressionable readers) that the story is completely fictitious and the described “ritual” should not be attempted. In my opinion, this ought to go without saying for any ritual pasta, but apparently that is not always the case.

    1. Well of course December 25th is not the Feast of Booths: who ever said it was? The nativity story reveals that Mary and Joseph were traveling to Bethlehem as part of a Roman Census. The Romans were notably NOT Jewish.

      As for Dec. 24th and 25th being “Satanic Holidays,” Satanism hasn’t even been around for a hundred years, so no. Perhaps you meant that they are pagan holidays? While it is true that the Christian Church specifically placed some of its holy days on or around dates on which pagan holy days also, one should not confuse temporal nearness for equivalence. In much the same way that if I sit in your seat I am not magically turned into you, Christians having their holidays on the same day as pagan holidays does not make Christian holidays pagan. To be fair, a few trappings were picked up (mainly the evergreen decorations), but those were reforged to fit the Christian mythos.

  38. two questions that don’t really make sense:

    1. Are you allowed to swear in front of the devil, like casually using ‘fucking’ in your sentence?

    2. Does satan like it that he can be very hot in some cases?

  39. If you hate the last sentence. Actually think of the implications. All of the tips, including the wards, rules, etc. could all be a deception since it is inferring he is the devil himself.

    How could you trust anything you read? It could be totally true or all a dangerous deception. Only those really thirsting for the answer to their questions will find out..

  40. Has anybody actually tried this? Because everybody who says they are going to hasn’t added to it…
    DUN DUN DUUNNN
    and it’s tempting me like I’m tempted to try Ouija, so I guess my question is 1. has anybody tried this?
    2. what were the results?
    and 3. have you tried ouija/what were the results?

  41. Loved almost every bit of it, with the exception of the twist. I suspected the author was the Devil a bit earlier on in the manual, as I’m sure many readers did. I don’t think it needed to be served to us so conspicuously at the end. Perhaps leaving the twist out and simply ending with:

    “Believe me.”

  42. this is literally my favourite pasta. I’ve read it so many times it’s like a film i can’t stop watching. 10/10, so intriguing. the writer is actually a genius.

  43. Dear devil i congratulate your story it was verrrry good buut… i am not really into churches… or candles… or mirrors… and my imagination is like all tv channels… i wouldn’t survive in your mirror.

  44. Has anyone here legimately tried this…I would love to try it…does it work?…could you do it with a friend or does it have to be alone?

  45. The whole “inverted cross” thing sort of ruined it for me. While the story is great, anyone who knows their stuff about Christianity knows that the “inverted/upside down” cross is actually quite Christian and referred to as the Cross of Peter. That little detail ruined my suspension of disbelief.

    1. Anyone who “knows their stuff about Christianity” knows that the cross is not even a christian symbol in origin. Much like most other things involved in that religious system.

  46. Yuno Gasai Tokisaki

    Im a gullible kind of person and I admit I ALMOST set in to do this,, well.. I have a very high interest in demons and am willing to try those tricks on the demon, especially a CHURCH is just like walking distance from my house like 100 steps youre there.. ha ha ha ok I almost did it.. damn I got too interested

  47. My dad’s not that bad, and really, he wouldn’t let you just die. He’d let you leave as his slave… maybe… don’t taunt him. Mom gets on him about his midnight hour long talks, so he’s already mad when he arrives.

  48. Brandon Broussard

    My friend told me to look this up today, and I’m glad I did. It was peculiarly interesting. Considering my almost total lack of fear, it actually seemed quite creepy and sketchy- especially since it’s seems feasible if you believe in the supernatural. You should get into professional script writing horror scripts, books, scenes for movies, etc. (if you aren’t already). Since there isn’t one horror movie that creeps me out, I feel that you could change that. Probably even make some kid shit their pants, which could provide me with a good laugh. Anyways, I really enjoyed this and I wish you best of luck on your future masterpieces.

  49. Dark humor AND Monty Python references? AND AS AN ADDED BONUS, SATAN NARRATES IT ALL! I love this pasta. Wish you could make more like this… Undoubtedly a 10/10! Its scary and funny at the same time. As a new user, you good sir, deserve a thousand applauses. Bravo. :)

  50. Wait… Wouldn’t logic dictate that you could intentionally and purposefully lie or sandbag every question you were asked, and in turn know that the answers to the questions you recieve would also be lies, therefore by inverting the answer received to said question asked you’d know the truth? Quid pro quo Clarice.

  51. And what if ones’s imagination is so innocent that it takes them into a heaven-like world which would make them glad they talked with you? Oops, sorry, I meant the devil.

  52. reiu:
    Really? I think the ending butchered it completely. It aspired to be one of those twist things, but unfortunately failed for me.

  53. negaknight:
    Pretty good stuff. Except for the inaccurate upside down cross being blasphemous stuff. Protip for other writers: an inverted cross is not a satanic symbol; its known as a Cross of St. Peter and is a holy symbol in Christianity associated with humility and being humble before God. So, like, the exact opposite of a satanic symbol.

    It’s also used as a satanic symbol of rebellion. Context my dear, context.

  54. Beautiful, man, just *beautiful*. I can see why this one is so highly rated. A ritual pasta without pretension! One that actually has balanced, believable descriptions of what can be gained and what can be lost! My one quibble was at the very end, where after a really good subversion of the ritual pasta (where you’re expected to trust implicitly the advice of internet randoms about incredibly dangerous rituals), the “letting you out” bit seemed a tad cheesy. But that’s a minor point. All of my favourite portrayals of the Devil have shown him as a dangerous trickster, and this captured that bang-on.
    What a pleasure to read, seriously, 10/10.

  55. I was loling all over he place because in the middle of the story I’m all HHMMMMMMMMM, why does this guy knows o much?
    GAsp!
    He’s being a smarts and advertising himself.
    Cheeky satan.
    I would probably be one of those people who creates a living hell for themselves cuz, you know, my brains jacked up.
    BUt any whales good story!

  56. I really like the author’s writing style. However! I have read quite a lot about Abrahamic theology and there are quite a few mistakes, if I may call them that; writing a story about Dracula and saying he burns in the sun and that Mina Murray is his reincarnated lover is the best example I can think of. That’s why the story was not particularly scary to me.

    I’ll give a 5/10. Sorry, baby, there’s just too much ‘666’ and goat references for me to take it seriously. It felt like a recollection of pop-culture references about the devil.

  57. I liked it, though I didn’t like the ending. If those three last lines had been left out, it would have left me with a much less tacky taste in my mouth. Also, I think some descriptions like the devil’s “predatory grin of anticipation” were a tad bit too detailed and broke the tone. But overall very nice.

  58. I thought this was a really fucking awesome story! I’m heavily into the devil/demons and angels, and this was a hit. I was nearing the middle of the second-to-last paragraph and I realized what the ending was going to be…and it was a really awesome twist! I couldn’t stop reading. 10/10

  59. I have Monty Python and it does make sense that the devil knows about it, cause “the lord took seven days to make the earth, and Python took just two hours to screw it up.”
    sorry i’m a total goober for Monty.

  60. Oh my god! O.O I love this guy! XD

    This is an awesome story. Not very creepy, but very funny and smart-a-lick. I like it!

    I am favouriting this and rate this 7/10.

    Sincerely,
    Grim Gamer

    P.S. My right eye is red, my left eye is blue, I like videogames and so should you!

  61. 5 stars! Definitely the best creepypasta I’ve ever read. Your spelling and syntax are correct and you keep the story moving in terrific fashion; I couldn’t put it down.
    My two cents on the inverted cross debate: as mentioned in the story, it’s the intention to commit a blasphemous act that matters more than the question of whether a particular apostle was crucified upside down. A Satanist turning a cross upside down is INTENDING for it to be an affront to holiness, and so it is. I don’t believe God or the Devil would be overly concerned with semantics here.

  62. I would personally find it fascinating to have a chat with the devil, but he would definitely get the better of me. I like to consider myself clever compared to, say, the majority of my peers, but I don’t think there’s much hope for anyone to outwit the devil. Still, it would be fascinating. Though if I got trapped in the mirror, I’m afraid my own mind would be worse than any other hell.

  63. I could count on the fingers of one hand all the pasta that were this long that I was able to read up to the very end, and this is one of them. Long pasta that are able to keep up my attention are a rare occurrence. Excellent work.

  64. is it just me, or does anyone else read some gibberish error message with many “redheadredheadredhead” text that can be seen instead of comment section when you read this article for the first time?

  65. DioTheJollyTimeStopperVampire

    “Maybe he’ll take a quick peek at your browser history…”
    JESUS CHRIST HOW HORRIFYING

  66. Wow I am so gullible. No matter how much I tell myself that this won’t actually happen….there’s still a little ”what if….”. I guess that’s the sign of a very well written creepypasta

  67. I absolutely adore this pasta! At first I thought it was going to be another instructional video except this time it’s going all religiously. But it’s actually so much more! And as a Catholic, I find it even more freaky!

    Just one small irritation / query. Is the person’s soul damned to Hell after sunrise if they have gone over the time limit?

  68. First of all, I have to say that I’m in love with this CreepyPasta. It’s genius, really. So creative and well-written, and I LOVE the twist at the end.

    I have one question, though. What “seven choice words” would be whispered into the redheaded woman’s ear?

  69. Original, engaging, creepy, an amazing pasta to say the least. I liked the tutorial style delivery at the begining that you managed to twist into a much less predictable end. My one problem with this is that the way the game would be played would be null and void as the Satan wouldn’t give you the ways to win his game. If you blatantly lie to the devil why would their be no consequence. It seems like the only way the devil could gain anything would be through a dare or the violation of the time period (One murder by the lack of protection is no real gain). Other than that little bit of…. speculation I loved the pasta. 9/10 an exceptional read.

  70. I must say, I was expecting some wierd stuff, but this was just amazing! I love it, it was abit out of the ordinary and really caught my attention. There didn´t seem to be any lack of knowledge, you know your facts.
    Loved it 10/10!

  71. I love loopholes… Just answer the questions wrong on purpose (which shouldn’t be that hard) and then ask yes or no questions. You’ll know whatever he says is a lie, and you’ve got your answer.

    Great pasta!

    1. Or, you know, he could tell the truth, just to fuck with you. You’d never know. It’s not like he’s obligated to lie when you give a wrong answer.

  72. Wow. This was so well-written and the twist worked really well for me. You are clearly an extremely creative and talented writer and I thoroughly enjoyed this pasta. Please keep writing. 10/10!

  73. “What? You want out that badly ALREADY? Must be one Hell of an imagination you’ve got on you.

    Perfect.”

    me; …………. oms I get it o-o
    (oms- oh my Satan)

    This was so amazing, I actually want to try it. Not that i’m going to, I am not that crazy.. Very Brilliantly written, I love it.

  74. Nice. Kansas, Monty Python… I like you. And the twist at the end was a nice touch. But I must say… so the Devil wrote this entire post, right? To lure readers into trying it? So does that mean the Devil listens to Kansas and watches Monty Python?

  75. i’m kinda naive so i didn’t see the twist at the end coming it was really interesting and i really like the fact that it’s not really like reading a tutorial or something like that it was detailed but not so much so that it was going on and on about the same damn thing all in all, it was awesome ~HoNk~

  76. LOVED THIS!!! i too always thought an upside down cross was a satanic sign, a demon alert. i loathe ritual pastas and when i first started reading this, i was like oh hell no..but i peeked at the comments first and it was so well recieved that i read it and am glad i did..you,my friend, are amazing, please write more!!!

  77. reiu:
    Really? I think the ending butchered it completely. It aspired to be one of those twist things, but unfortunately failed for me.

    OK, correction, it didn’t fail completely. I liked the twist from this being a story of a smartass who did this ritual a million times to a story of actually the bad guy himself, maybe feeding us lies and maybe not. The effect was good. It’s the delivery that wasn’t. It seemed unnatural, clumsy even. I really liked the story itself though.

  78. Pretty good stuff. Except for the inaccurate upside down cross being blasphemous stuff. Protip for other writers: an inverted cross is not a satanic symbol; its known as a Cross of St. Peter and is a holy symbol in Christianity associated with humility and being humble before God. So, like, the exact opposite of a satanic symbol.

    1. InfernalNightmare333

      FAIR WARNING: Author completely breaking character below. (If you don’t like it, don’t read.)

      Thank you very much for the compliment and the advice. I wanted to address the inverted cross issue since many viewers of MCP’s narration on Youtube pointed out the same thing. I honestly had no idea that the inverted cross was the cross of St. Peter. I’ve seen it used so many times in the popular media as a Satanic/anti-Christian symbol (most recently in The Conjuring, where its appearance on a possessed person elicited such a strong reaction from the characters that I even worried I might offend someone by bringing it up so casually in this story) that I just took that meaning as common knowledge, and it didn’t even cross my mind to look it up. Definitely a mistake on my part; I apologize for the inaccuracy and will avoid using that particular trope in the future. As you could probably tell, the whole story is based more in folklore and popular media than religious canon, but I still hate to wind up using a symbol completely incorrectly like that. Makes me wonder what other “common knowledge” of mine is really just misinformation that’s become prevalent in the mass media… now there’s a creepy thought.

      Additionaly, while I’m being out-of-character, I’d like to thank everybody for their positive and constructive feedback. I’m quite surprised and pleased that this story has been rated as well as it has. I do plan on writing a follow-up to this, potentially in several installments, depending on whether or not people continue to enjoy them. Thanks again for reading my story and my totally tl;dr comment; you may now return to your willing suspension of disbelief :)

      Sincerely, (the original) InfernalNightmare 333

      P.S. or, y’know, I could’ve made all that up just to lull you all into a false sense of security about My Lord’s ritual. Just sayin.’ DUN DUN DUUUUUN >;)

      1. Loved the Creepypasta great work there, the twist was pretty good though I kinda saw it coming. On the issue of the upside down cross you kinda covered your own tracks on the issue.

        “The process will probably work best if you try it on a new moon, or a full moon, or Friday the 13th, or Halloween… the actual day is less important that the psychological effect it has on you”

        If one deems an upside down cross blasphemous, and would desecrate the sanctity of a church wouldn’t it work? Also I am kinda surprised you didn’t mention masturbation as a method of desecration. Not that I am one for desecration of churches nor stupid enough to try a ritual I dug up on line, but, it would make for a smidgen better entertainment. Just trying to help a little.

      2. I don’t think of the cross thing as a mistake at all. In the story, The simple intention of doing something desecrating is enough. Even if it isn’t really a satanic thing. The important thing is the intention of the person “doing the ritual”.

        Great pasta. Congratulations! And thank you for your great work.

      3. Creepy Stuf Makes me High

        I wish I could write a pasta that made people WANT more but as I am not a very good writer I believe it would be easier to retell old stories as I perceive them however this has given me an idea! would you mind if I referenced this in a story that I am currently writing? check it out on wattpad! its called Hylian Cruelty, I hope you wont mind but if you aren’t ok with it I wont.

        Much praise on writing one of my favourite pastas
        ~ creepy Stuff Makes Me High xxxxx

        1. InfernalNightmare333

          Go right ahead! I really don’t think you need permission just to reference something (if you do, I’m probably in a bit of trouble with Kansas, Monty Python, the Charlie Daniels Band, Stephen Vincent Benet, and J.R.R. Tolkien!). Glad you liked the pasta! Good luck with your writing – if you really like to write and are willing to put time and effort into it, you’ll definitely get better as time goes on (although something’s chances of getting popular on the Internet are pretty unpredictable no matter what the quality).

          I glanced over the first bit of your fanfic, and a couple of quick tips that I think would make your prose more readable are: (1) Be careful about writing run-on sentences. I can be a bit of Grammar Nazi sometimes, but it really is more enjoyable and easier to follow for everyone if you pay attention to basic English grammar. (2) When writing dialogue, start a new paragraph (i.e. skip a line or use an indent) every time you change speakers. This makes conversations a lot easier to follow.

          Thanks again!

  79. THIS IS GREAT! 10/10! why?
    first, this is a ritual pasta that’s not boring. It gives the detail in a not-so-quick tutorial, but it is delivered in a classy way. Dark humor, rules that sounds more realistic, and well-explained outcomes.
    Second, of course, the twist. I somewhat figured that the narrator is the devil himself, but the way you present how he ended up explaining this Devil Game to us is fascinating.
    I just have one question, what will happen if we broke one of the rules (like, let’s say, we give a bad riddle, or forget to bow to end the session)?

  80. I have actually once before even reading this story im surprised its actually on the internet. It honestly not as bad as this guy is describing.

  81. I don’t really like ritual pasta, but I liked the style of this one.
    Just a few things I am not sold of.
    Point 1, what would be the good in lying on a too personal question if the devil knows you’re lying anyway, as stated previously?
    If the devil was writing a pasta about how to talk to him, why would he give himself away, and especially why would he give so many warnings about things to be avoided?

    1. Maybe Satan is purposely telling you what not to do, so you’ll second guess if you should or should not? He’s telling you the truth, so you’ll think it’s a lie. But then again he knows you’ll think that. So is he, really?

      DUN DUN DUN.

    2. The Devil would write an honest Pasta on how to contact him for the same reason he told Eve to eat the apple;

      free will.

      The Devil knows the best way to convince us to do something is to give us a choice. Someone who plays the game isn’t at the mercy of the Devil, they’re at the mercy of themselves. That’s how he lures us in. If we lose, it’s our fault. That’s the ironic part of the game. He lays out all the rules, all the pitfalls, all the ways to lose, and you still lose. Because by the end of the game, you’ve probably lied more than he has.

      The Devil is more honest than you are.

      1. I’m going to be honest – I like this comment almost as much as I liked the pasta itself. And this might be my favorite pasta to-date. The perfect comment to accompany this delicious pasta – brilliance all around.

    3. Maybe that way it’ll make the game last longer, and he’ll get you, or it’ll just make the game that much more interesting for him…

  82. Average human who's average

    Loved this! why not do one for god? probably wouldnt be as creepy but still an interesting read, i’d love to see what you come up with :) You could even do this same story but from the perspective of someone who is actually doing the summoning, just an idea, hope you do more :D 10/10

    1. Yes but you can still live without your soul, you just won’t be the same you anymore.

      Look around buddy. Plenty of people walking around with no soul. At least, without the appearance if one.

  83. Great story! I loved it. I am a sucker for any kind of devil demon type of story especially the good ones. What a fun inspirational little ritual you’ve come up with. Gives me many ideas….. Well done. One or if not my favorite on creepypasta. 10/10. I’ve only given one other ten out on all the stories I’ve read so far. Much deserved. Keep reading and writing!

      1. I will try it just for the hell of it i hope it is fake otherwise I am fucked… Wish me luck 2 hours and 55 minutes until midnight…

  84. I loved this. I was a little bummed when I saw a ritual pasta, because they tend to be (necessarily) formulaic, but the tone of this narrator really made this one a great read. It took a great meta perspective and the insults to the reader throughout were really entertaining. The end was great, too, and added a bit of dark humor to the whole thing. It was a bit predictable, but executed in such a way that it still worked well. This didn’t get bogged down by such specific and fine toothed detail, and waiting to the end to reveal the risks was nice because it did not fill the whole ritual with the typical “drag your soul into unending Hell” motif. It’s there, but understated and left greatly up to the reader’s imagination. You changed my opinion of ritual pastas! Great read, and happy writing!

  85. “What is the air-speed-velocity of an un-laden swallow?”
    “African or European?”

    Monty Python anybody?

    -Herobrine

    Always watching…

  86. Oh, this was fantastic. Really liked the twist at the end. 9/10. I think someone should write a story off of this.

    1. Really? I think the ending butchered it completely. It aspired to be one of those twist things, but unfortunately failed for me.

      1. Vintage Fenrir

        I agree completely. For me it rose toa 10/10, and then after “Oh, excuse me just a moment…” dropped to a 3/10

        1. It’s called prayer, and everything you need to know is in a big book called the Bible.

        2. That comment was so poorly written that I tried to read it backwards hoping that it was a palindrome.

        3. the sites called “CREEPY PASTA” if god is supposed to be creepy then
          maybe you should write the story…

    2. The ending was slightly bland, the devil would just end it instead of saying “someone’s calling me”, also, the ending was too specific, but still neat

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top