Advertisement
Please wait...

The Gift Of Mercy



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

[MESSAGE BEGINS]

We made a mistake. That is the simple, undeniable truth of the matter, however painful it might be. The flaw was not in our Observatories, for those machines were as perfect as we could make, and they showed us only the unfiltered light of truth. The flaw was not in the Predictor, for it is a device of pure, infallible logic, turning raw data into meaningful information without the taint of emotion or bias. No, the flaw was within us, the Orchestrators of this disaster, the sentients who thought themselves beyond such failings. We are responsible.

It began a short while ago, as these things are measured, less than 6^6 Deeli ago, though I suspect our systems of measure will mean very little by the time anyone receives this transmission. We detected faint radio signals from a blossoming intelligence 2^14 Deelis outward from the Galactic Core, as photons travel. At first crude and unstructured, these leaking broadcasts quickly grew in complexity and strength, as did the messages they carried. Through our Observatories we watched a world of strife and violence, populated by a barbaric race of short-lived, fast-breeding vermin. They were brutal and uncultured things which stabbed and shot and burned each other with no regard for life or purpose. Even their concepts of Art spoke of conflict and pain. They divided themselves according to some bizarre cultural patterns and set their every industry to cause of death.

Advertisements

They terrified us, but we were older and wiser and so very far away, so we did not fret. Then we watched them split the atom and breach the heavens within the breadth of one of their single, short generations, and we began to worry. When they began actively transmitting messages and greetings into space, we felt fear and horror. Their transmissions promised peace and camaraderie to any who were listening, but we had watched them for too long to buy into such transparent deceptions. They knew we were out here, and they were coming for us.

The Orchestrators consulted the Predictor, and the output was dire. They would multiply and grow and flood out of their home system like some uncountable tide of Devourer worms, consuming all that lay in their path. It might take 6^8 Deelis, but they would destroy us if left unchecked. With aching carapaces we decided to act, and sealed our fate.

The Gift of Mercy was 8^4 strides long with a mouth 2/4 that in diameter, filled with many 4^4 weights of machinery, fuel, and ballast. It would push itself up to 2/8th of light speed with its onboard fuel, and then begin to consume interstellar Primary Element 2/2 to feed its unlimited acceleration. It would be traveling at nearly light speed when it hit. They would never see it coming. Its launch was a day of mourning, celebration, and reflection. The horror of the act we had committed weighted heavily upon us all; the necessity of our crime did little to comfort us.

The Gift had barely cleared the outer cometary halo when the mistake was realized, but it was too late. The Gift could not be caught, could not be recalled or diverted from its path. The architects and work crews, horrified at the awful power of the thing upon which they labored, had quietly self-terminated in droves, walking unshielded into radiation zones, neglecting proper null pressure safety or simple ceasing their nutrient consumption until their metabolic functions stopped. The appalling cost in lives had forced the Orchestrators to streamline the Gift’s design and construction. There had been no time for the design or implementation of anything beyond the simple, massive engines and the stabilizing systems. We could only watch in shame and horror as the light of genocide faded into infrared against the distant void.

They grew, and they changed, in a handful of lifetimes they abolished war, abandoned their violent tendencies and turned themselves to the grand purposes of life and Art. We watched them remake first themselves, and then their world. Their frail, soft bodies gave way to gleaming metals and plastics, they unified their people through an omnipresent communications grid and produced Art of such power and emotion, the likes of which the Galaxy has never seen before. Or again, because of us.

Advertisements

They converted their home world into a paradise (by their standards) and many 10^6s of them poured out into the surrounding system with a rapidity and vigor that we could only envy. With bodies built to survive every environment from the daylit surface of their innermost world, to the atmosphere of their largest gas giant and the cold void in-between, they set out to sculpt their system into something beautiful. At first we thought them simple miners, stripping the rocky planets and moons for vital resources, but then we began to see the purpose to their constructions, the artworks carved into every surface, and traced across the system in glittering lights and dancing fusion trails. And still, our terrible Gift approached.

Advertisements

They had less than 2^2 Deeli to see it, following so closely on the tail of its own light. In that time, oh so brief even by their fleeting lives, more than 10^10 sentients prepared for death. Lovers exchanged last words, separated by worlds and the tyranny of light speed. Their planetside engineers worked frantically to build sufficient transmission infrastructure to upload the countless masses with the necessary neural modifications, while those above dumped lifetimes of music and literature from their databanks to make room for passengers. Those lacking the required hardware or the time to acquire it consigned themselves to death, lashed out in fear and pain, or simply went about their lives as best they could under the circumstances.

The Gift arrived suddenly, the light of its impact visible in our skies, shining bright and cruel even to the unaugmented ocular receptor. We watched and we wept for our victims, dead so many Deelis before the light of their doom had even reached us. Many 6^4s of those who had been directly or even tangentially involved in the creation of the Gift sealed their spiracles with paste as a final penance for the small roles they had played in this atrocity. The light dimmed, the dust cleared, and our Observatories refocused upon the place where their shining blue world had once hung in the void, and found only dust and the pale gleam of an orphaned moon, wrapped in a thin, burning wisp of atmosphere that had once belonged to its parent.

Radiation and relativistic shrapnel had wiped out much of the inner system, and continent-sized chunks of molten rock carried screaming ghosts outward at interstellar escape velocities, damned to wander the great void for an eternity. The damage was apocalyptic, but not complete, from the shadows of the outer worlds, tiny points of light emerged, thousands of fusion trails of single ships and world ships and everything in between, many 10^6s of survivors in flesh and steel and memory banks, ready to rebuild. For a few moments we felt relief, even joy, and we were filled with the hope that their culture and Art would survive the terrible blow we had dealt them. Then came the message, tightly focused at our star, transmitted simultaneously by hundreds of their ships.

Advertisements

“We know you are out there, and we are coming for you.”

[MESSAGE ENDS]


Credit: Anonymous

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

166 thoughts on “The Gift Of Mercy”

  1. THAT FUCKING ENDING. OMG

    i loved it. i was at the edge of my seat reading this. the set up was slow but luckily it was just a paragraph. and i kept reading. i’m glad i did.

  2. I like it. A tale of scientists who thought an alien race was destructive, but it changed. They sent something with the power of 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999990000000000 Nukes and destroyed a beiatiful world. The aliens got mad and the many survivors sent a message proving Of death for humans.

    1. gienezza melendez

      I’m not sure why but the first time I read this I believed it was the other way around…like aliens thought humans were destructive but we changed. Thank you for explaining this to me haha, after I read your summary I re-read the story and i am happy to announce I finally get it.

  3. I loved this one. Absolutely amazing. It got a little confusing since I couldn’t comprehend their units of measurement, but i got a good enough impression. Loved the last line. Fantastic story but predictable. 9/10

  4. I’d give it about a six. The story was fairly unoriginal, especially for a sci-fi, but the intended culture and language of the alien race was phenomenal. There were very few grammatical errors, so the high-tech voice remained strongly for the duration. Unlike a lot of crappy sci-fi’s I’ve read in the past, this author really did know about everything he was talking about, from the physics of light speed, to the idea that aliens would likely not develop a decimal-based numerical system similar to ours. On the whole, this kind of writing had such potential, but the boring, expected, and obvious premise disappointingly brought it down. I’d love to read more work from this author! He seems to have great promise.

  5. To be completely honest, this was a good piece of writing. However, it was a little lacking. The concept itself is not original, and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at the ending. I liked the story but I feel it could have been better. All aside, I enjoyed reading this.

  6. Is anyone else reminded of Ender’s Game (The book, not the movie)– but from the perspective of the “buggers”. Don’t get me wrong, I’m saying this as a huge compliment– This is a phenomonal work of science fiction and deserves to be published!

  7. I´m really impressed with this pasta!! what´s the name of the autor! I´d really like to read more from her/him!! greetings from colombia… where we barbaric people live!! haha!!

  8. An excellent story, and strangely enough, synchronizes itself to a certain psalm. Number 37 (the one I’m memorizing) says this. The moral of the story is this:

    Do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
    Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret, it leads only to evil.

    Anyway, I really should finish memorizing that psalm now.

  9. I felt like the narrators were the aliens and the race that was destroyed was the human race, not the other way around. Take note of the moon, the planet color, the references to war, etc.

  10. Not that anyone will read this far, but it seems to be the most amazing work I have read, aside from Stephen King’s The Stand. For me it was somewhat easy to understand, even with the deeli and scientific notation. Well thought out, pointing out that we, along with any intelligent being, are prone to mistakes. Thank you for the best read of my year.

  11. Anonymous:
    FUCK YEAH HUMANITY

    BLOW UP OUR PLANET, AND WE’LL COME KICK YOUR ASSES

    It reminds me a lot of Ender’s Game. *spoilers, sorta* It’s got a race like the Buggers, and a weapon like the Little Doctor, and the theme of expansion and genocide. If the *ok, actual spoiler* Buggers had had the Little Doctor, this might have been how that went down. VERY blow-up-your-planet!! I really liked this one.

  12. A good story, but I don’t think it belongs on a creepypasta site. Nothing remotely creepy nor scary about it at all…

    It IS good though.

  13. this is so sad. they couldn’t stop it. And why did they not warn them once they had turned peaceful? Even better yet, why did a culture so advance not put a self-destruct program?


  14. I know I’m gonna get mad hate
    but how can u guys give this so much praise ?
    bc you GET IT?
    ….
    aliens see humans; think they’re bad, kills them.
    realized they fucked up and regretted killing them but now the humans are tight .

    okay don’t get me wrong, by all means it was good. I enjoyed it.
    but god fucking damn people it wasn’t that fuxking great.. get the fuck over it..

  15. Oh my god…this shit is fucking overrated
    “bricks were shat” LMFAO how stupid is that? I mean,I couldn’t understand a word of this pasta and I’ve been reading & writing English since years. I personally can’t find a good thing about this “pasta”.

    What’s so good about it? Your so-called well-written pasta is just like “OH MY GWAD,I CAN USE SCI-FI WORDS AND I DON’T HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT,LASERS LAWL”.

    The writer has zero idea of what he’s talking about,just crappypasta. How is this 0.1+ rating? wow…Just cause they (the writer) used the world that a normal average reader is unable to understand with his linguistic capabilities,doesn’t make it a well-written good pasta,it’s just a fail attempt to make a pasta sound intelligent.
    Wake up guys,using words that are complex doesn’t make it a decent pasta,it’s not even creepy. It’s just stupid,a person did complaint about fictional words over this pasta,but they got -13 votes…What if I randomly pick up words & make a pasta of it,like this? :
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus complex Australoid was going to moon,a complex,yet,simplistic realistic amplitude was there.
    The end
    This wasn’t any better than those who was teh phone jokes…seriously…Very overrated pasta.
    Don’t get me wrong,but it’s just wrong to call this best pasta ever…Ever read Mr.Widemouth,The Virglil,The Story of Her Holding an Orange?

  16. It only took about 2^3 Deelis before I got bored of that story. I stopped reading after about 7^4 strides.

  17. GrammarNaziHeil

    When I reached the punch line, I got that twinge of pride that you only get from powerfully written works, when they grasp your heartstrings and tug. Thank you for this.

  18. Great story! You did a wonderful job explaining and giving details about the situation! I give this pasta 10 stars! Wars of the stars begin! I would love it if it became a book!

  19. This…this was wonderful. I felt so many throttling emotions rocketing throughout my being after reading this..this masterpiece of a pasta. Oh my Lord, this was incredible.

  20. Fuck man In the middle of class I read this and I was mind blown and for a big guy I giggled at the sheer awesomeness of this story

  21. FINALLY! The creepiest pastas are about humans just being human. Why do the monsters lash out? Cuz their scared of us. Duh!

  22. Fun fact: This was originally made as a humanity fuck yeah story on the 4chan board /tg/. Yes, humanity is coming for the aliens. And they are coming in fast.

  23. Basically, aliens, your shit is wrecked

    Not a creepypasta, but the best story I have read in a long time. 10^6/10 ^_^

  24. Jeremiah Brown

    This story isn’t exactly creepy, but WOW!!!! The implications and dynamics of it are staggering!!! EXCELLENT WORK!!!!!!

  25. Still, to this day, the best Creepypasta out there. Not necessarily scary, but chilling and amazing nonetheless.

  26. Was posted in a deep space thread on /v/ yesterday. Tried to find it to show my roommate and after googling forever, this was the only place that had it. Can’t believe its not published.

  27. @Reaper:
    Light years is not a measurement of time. Before you go around correcting people and trying to act smart, you should get your facts straight. lern2knowthings

  28. Icalasari: I somewhat agree & that’s why I thought for a while about whether to post it, or not.

    In the end, I think the author *must* have put the info to convert deelis into years into the story absolutely deliberately & even made it very easy, so I considered it fair game. Anyone reading my comment must have already read the story and felt it’s impact, so while my comment might take away some of the mystery, I think it gives a glimpse as to how much thought the author put into the story (e.g. the large timescales at which advanced civilizations plan, the enormity of the evacuation attempts of humanity having little more time than a blink of an eye, etc).
    In the end, for me the story did gain, not lose…

  29. Hahaha, those Deelis or whatever they’re called are screwed now. I kinda feel bad for them. They send our doom, we change, they like the new us, we go boom, they’re sad, then we say that we’re coming for them. It’s awesome!
    I really didn’t understand the time stuff, but I failed math, so no big deal.

  30. great, Great, GREAT story.
    Certainly amongst the best unpublished work I\’ve ever read – would love to read more from this author!

    A sidenote re:Deelis, which seem to confuse a lot of people:
    There\’s no problem with it being used to measure both time and distance, if a standardized speed is employed – which is the case (\"as photons travel\", i.e. the speed of light).

    I\’m quite suprised to see that no one has done so before (or at least no one posted that?), so just out of curiosity, I did some quick calculations: Since the author was nice enough to provide a point to start (distance between the destroyed planet and galactic core) and assuming that the story deals in fact with earth, which wikipedia has at ~27.000 lightyears from our galactic core, 1 Deeli should work out to be ~ 1,648 lightyears (or, strictly speaking: just years).

    working with this rough estimate, I get:
    \"It began a short while ago, as these things are measured, less than 6^6 Deeli ago\" -> 76.887 years
    \"It might take 6^8 Deelis, but they would destroy us if left unchecked\" -> 2.767.922 years
    \"They had less than 2^2 Deeli to see\" -> 6,6 years

    Just to get a feeling for the timescales :-)

  31. Is a “Deeli” a measurement of time, or space? I mean, these aliens are worse than Han Solo! “I MADE DA KESSEL RUN IN LESS DEN 12 PARSECZ HURR DURR”

  32. It took me 4^7 Deelis to read through this story, and I had to block my spiracles with paste after having done so. Load of trash, doesn’t deserve to be on this website.

  33. Humanity!
    FUCK YEAH!
    On the way to pwn some mother-fucking aliens!

    Humanity!
    FUCK YEAH!
    Why’d you destroy all our planets?

    Aliens, your lives are through,
    ‘Cos now you have to answer to:

    Humanity!
    FUCK YEAH!
    On the way to get some mother-fucking vengence!

  34. I loved it. The only part I didn’t like was the Deelis, because if something else was used (or is, if this is rewritten) there could be another entire story told. For example, if the alien species was one that lived in the Andromeda galaxy, you could give an entirely new perspective on how they watched humanity grow.

  35. Very difficult for me to get on board, had to read it 4 times to comprehend it.Didn’t like the weird numbers, but I absolutely loved the rest. Earth gon kick some ass.

  36. loved the way that the aliens not only wiped out the humans (most of them) but also kind of reset their behavior to the COMING FOR YOU etc.

    like that saying; world war 1 was fought with guns, world war 2 was fought with tanks, but world war 3 will be fought with sticks and stones.

  37. Rofl, aliens made a big mistake XD humans can hold a HUGE grudge…. bloddeh extraterestrials…. (or however you spell it)

  38. I almost cried when I realized what was going on near the end. When they saw their culture evolve into all these amazing and artistic things and not being able to realize in time to stop the genocide, I got all teary eyed and almost cried.

  39. After finishing this pasta, i was left with goosebumps for like 5 seconds. This one is so so so very beautiful (bias from humanity-type pasta much? But i don’t care).

    It was very nicely written. The ending was like -BAM-. It was all there.
    The numbering system (like some commenters are talking about) just added to the story if they regarded it as simply an alien numeric system. No need to convert to human system. Why would the aliens do that anyway? The point is in their mistake, not in the clarity of distance.

    Also, i have to come back to the ending.
    It captured a very strong side of humanity: revenge.
    Chilling & beautiful. Props to you for writing this.

  40. the brilliance here is astounding, but the weird numbering system almost killed it for me. if you’re going to go to the trouble of translating an alien language which may have absolutely no linguistic parallels whatsoever with ours, but you won’t bother to convert their math, which is the one language that is a universal constant? lrn2 everything, and stop thinking that leaving integral parts of a story unexplained or in this case, entirely absent, adds suspense. done properly, it may, but this case just causes headaches, so stop. however, the story is otherwise pure brilliance in it’s concentated form, almost excessively imaginative, and even somewhat philosophical. 9/10 for sheer awesomeness, but you lose one point for that one clarity issue. the author obviously has potential leaking out his every orifice, and i suggest he place this in a portfolio, think up something just as brilliant, but with more length potential, and write a full size book. i know for sure that i would read it.

  41. I’d like to come in contact with the writer of this piece. I would very much enjoy translating the story into an animated film. If anyone knows the writer, if YOU”RE the writer, please contact me at [email protected]

  42. That was really good… one of the best I’ve seen. But seriously, they should be able to reduce fractions.

  43. for a second i was afraid the author assumed we had not figured out it was earth and that would be the twist ending, thank god i was wrong

    very good, i always love the self-fulfilling prophesy thing

  44. Scary… what do all these numbers mean?
    I barely got through the third paragraph without getting paranoid.
    …6^6… 2^4… Predictors and Castrators…logic…
    Death is at my door…or is that my math teacher? The Horror!!

  45. I thought the “2^4 deelis” alien measurements speak was appropriate. Guys, this is an ALIEN language, not everything is going to translate perfectly. Ever heard of Engrish? And that’s just trying to translate one human language to another!

  46. The only thing I can say is that while you were very careful to use exponents, at the very end you slipped back into hundreds and thousands instead. Otherwise, very good.

  47. Not quite sure why this one is categorized under murder and death instead of creatures and beings but this is truly spectacular nonetheless

  48. I am familiar with the situation these creatures face.

    Extrapolations of potential or alternative scenarios are most useful for interpretation of data.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    Two of Seven Gates are Open.

  49. I just read this for the millionth time and it still took my breath away, even with the Deeli thing. I still shiver at that last line.

  50. Wow. That’s all I can say, and I don’t mean that in a good way. This was one of the most complicated stories I have ever read on this site, and it wasn’t a good one.

  51. This story was sorta sad. Humans were becoming friendly, and the aliens just ruined that inadvertently. What are they going to say once the humans find them? “We sent that bomb before you became friendly”? Not quite creepy, but it’s a great sci-fi story.

  52. Shan – Aliens on a distant star send humanity a huge, unstoppable bomb because they feared that humans would spread their primitive violence among the stars. Unfortunately, the bomb has no recall feature or self-destruct mechanism. After witnessing humanity change and become a peaceful, art-loving species, the aliens heavily regret ever preempting on us. Earth gets destroyed, humans get pissed and let the aliens know that they’re coming for them. The aliens essentially cause what they were trying to avoid.

  53. I’m kind of confused.
    Science fiction confuses me…
    Anyways, just to check.
    Basically, future humans sent something to a distant planet that killed part of the human population.
    And then it came back, threatening to kill them or something?

  54. Ok, I really HAVE to ask : WHO WROTE THIS MASTERPIECE? I really need to know, cause I think this oughta be published…

    I’m Planning on making a short story collection, and whoever wrote this, i’d like your permission to publish this…

  55. Wow, that was really good. one of the best non-published Sci-Fi Horror (if you consider it such) stories I’ve ever read.

  56. Apple Juice, in our system, light years is both a measure of distance and time. Not that odd that some other species would have a similar item.

  57. Great story…
    I hated the exponential notation that went along with Deelis. However, Greek fatalism meets scifi. I love it!

  58. The idea of another type of measurement was good, but am I the only one who noticed that Deelis seem to be a measure of both distance AND time? That kinda bugged me. Otherwise, good pasta.

  59. That was not creepy at all. Not one bit. And the constant x^y talk was very confusing at first.

    However, this has got to be one of the most amazing stories I have ever read, in my entire life.

    “Yeah, you destroyed our homeworld. That’s fine, but we know you did it, and we can pinpoint the origin. In your final days, you will wish you had built a bigger bomb, because now, mother fucker we’re going to show you human revenge on a scale that will put the nightmares in your final days to shame.”

    Great job on this story, despite the lack of creepy.

  60. The “deeli” thing and the scientific-ish notation was…odd considering what was being conveyed, I kinda understood those parts, but I quite liked it overall.
    Not the creepiest thing, but it was very well written and I quite liked the concept behind it.

  61. The “deeli” thing and the scientific-ish notation was…odd considering what was being conveyed, I kinda understood those parts, but I quite liked it overall.
    Not the creepiest thing, but it was very well written and I quite liked the concept behind it.

  62. Definately a welcome change of pace after reading the the one about the abandoned warehouse/restaurant. Damn good show!

  63. This was a great story. I really liked it :)

    I think the creepiness is meant to come from the idea that we’re being watched and whilst we carelessly go about our actions we’re being judged, and not in a good way.

    It’s the kind of creepiness you need to think about to get I guess.

    I was also lost by the deelis though. i ended up just glossing over them as the rest of the story made it clear roughly when things were happening and how fast.

    Absolutely brilliant story though, well done :D

  64. i for one can’t fucking wait until my body is half metal and half plastic.
    unless it’s that cheap chinese plastic.

    1. if you’re half-metal, half-plastic, what portion of you is left to be human?

      ….

      your name? That’s about all you’d be, without some organic matter in there.

  65. Snowdens, “deelis” may be some form of distance not translatable to human standard due to lack of information. It’s like converting from centimeters to inches or vice versa except you are missing the 2.54 part of the equation.

  66. I hope the humans fucked them up good. great story. and nothing wrong with the measuring system, if you used meters or feet the ppl who are having a problem with it now would be like omg aliens know how to measure in meters?

  67. I love this. It’s awesome. Admittedly, the Deelies and “x to the power of y” was kind of annoying, but otherwise I loved it.

  68. Sweet! Loved it. It wasn’t… like the rest on here…. I mean, it didn’t make any chills go down my spine. But it’s well written and I like the irony. Let’s keep up the good pastas! :D

  69. *GLEE*
    This is my new favorite pasta. :D

    The alien measurements used didn’t bother me the least, they only added to the realistic feel of the story. And the last line did what every last line in every pasta should do – wrap up the story and send chills up the reader’s spine.

  70. Deelis, and peaceful perfectly good aliens (I always find the idea of wonderful and perfect aliens species that have never done anything wrong to be very unconvincing, and irritating) made it a little unconvincing, but it was still pretty awesome.

  71. Absolutely amazing. I don’t understand how Snowdens shat his pants over this. Really, so OP may have used some measuring unit you didn’t understand, get over it and appreciate it for what it is. Absolutely amazing.

  72. I honestly don’t get how everyone thought that was so good. I mean, it’s decent, but it’s just boring, tries too hard and has a pretty predictable ending…

    1. I share the same sentiment. The story is a bit confusing at times. But everyone is raving on about how amazing the story is. It makes you wonder if people are just jumping on the bandwagon since this story has a remotely complex writing style, which most people will automatically translate to mean good writing.

  73. A particularly tasty pasta. Commendably done. The Deelis were a bit distracting, but eventually I just started ignoring it and mentally converted it into lightyears or something. Aside from that, it was very nice. =D

  74. I couldn’t get into it.
    I’m not a fan of sci-fi, and things like “2^14 Deelis” or whatever, it just turns me off to a story.

    Sorry, it was a miss on me.

  75. It was very well-written, but the reasoning of the alien creators for destroying the human race was horrible – war is a big deal in human history, but so is peace. I’m not just talking about modern times, either. Often enough, we don’t just go to war for pointless reasons – we want something that we “need.”

    And so, more and more have we been understanding that peace and diplomacy is the better way to maintain one’s own resources while still gaining another’s. So, I think the alien’s were just a bit too hasty, even for their concept of time, in deciding to obliterate the human race.

    And, also? The whole idea of them not placing a self-destruct function within their weapon is just down-right careless.

    Over all, though, it was a good story that could just use some more development to create an air of truly higher intelligence on the aliens’ part.

  76. Don’t fucking make up words. Jesus Christ. If the message is translated into English, then it should be delivered completely in English. And the number system you were using does exist in our mathematics. You were just using it incorrectly. You are not Lewis Caroll, and even his writing sucked because of his stupid, fictional words.

    Besides that, though, this is creepypasta. Not dramatic-sci-fi-pasta. This wasn’t creepy at all.

  77. Not very creepy…
    But so moving. Reminded me of a book from the Strugazki-brothers. (Y’know? The guys who wrote “Roadside Picknick? The book S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based on?)
    Awesome, apocalyptic and hopeless. Great job! I want more from OP.

  78. Wow at first I thought it was just going to have a crappy end like “the planet we fired on was called Earth”, but no, it actually became something original, not just some generic piece of crap. I would love to see more like this.

  79. Fantastic. A great read. The only bumps in the road was the gratuitous weird numbering system. We get it – they are alien. They do things differently.

  80. The poor bug people, they didn’t know :(

    I’m assuming I can call them that, because they mention both carapaces and spiracles.

    Shades of Heinlein, but still very original.

  81. At first, I was prepared to be hit with an epic amount of terrible from this story, but as it progressed, I found myself liking it more and more. By the time it reached the third-to-last paragraph, I was loving it. Very well written, and very intriguing.

    Although, I am in agreement with “Comment Leaver” about the ‘Deelis’ measurement. It was rather hard to keep up with trying to even remotely understand that, which soft of caused random hiccups in the story. If perhaps a simpler extraterrestrial measurement had been used then it would have been simpler to read through.

    Still a good one though. A very good one.

  82. That was a sad story… The weird measurements were distracting, but otherwise it was great. Not creepy, but an amazing story. I look forward to more like this.

    Though I wouldn’t go so far as to compare it to Asimov.

  83. is it just me, or does this seem like the halo games? The gift of mercy sounds like the forerunner juggernaut, the people were living peacefully, then they were destroyed so the came back and killed all of the covenant, with the aliens sounding a fair bit like the covenant themselves.

  84. Wow….I’m guessing that the things that the narrator was talking about were future humans? But anyway, that WAS very very good.

  85. Up until the end, I just thought of it as an average run-of-the-mill sci fi story. But DAYUM the ending was great! Totally made it perfect :]

    Granted, it still doesn’t read very much like a creepypasta to me. Loved it anyways :P

  86. Hmmm… very rare it is that you see a Sci-Fi pasta, and yet here we are.

    We seem to be getting a lot of good pasta lately (beginning with Dust, continuing with Faces in the Storm, and now this). Hopefully the trend continues.

  87. Hey this was great. I really liked this one and it seemed very well thought out and kept me hooked until the very end. Nice.

  88. the Person Formerly known as 'Noneya'

    Ill admit it, I squeed at the end. I actually made the traditional fangirl sound.

    This was phenominal.

  89. I liked it. But the concept of Deelis ruined it for me. It was a bit unsatisfying. Overall, it left me with the word ‘wow’ which could go many different ways.

    1. i dont care what a Deeli is, I just loved this story except it’s sad but that’s what makes it so awesome and also it is well written.

  90. I read this on /x/, and it was damn amazing.
    Nothing’s changed since then, thank you for putting it on Creepypasta.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top