Advertisement
Please wait...

Why I Do Not Sleep



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

Mom and Dad keep asking why I won’t sleep. It’s colic, they say.

Out of the murky darkness of my bedroom, I wail; calling them to my side, desperate to make them understand me. They come, reluctantly, with exhaustion tugging on the skin beneath their eyes and dying it a dark purple. Muttering in exasperation, they lift me from my crib, and I briefly have hope that they will understand.

But I’m always disappointed when they place a bottle to my lips or try to sooth me in the rocking chair. I try pointing to my window, the source that feeds my ever-growing fear, but they do not look. There is so much I would say, if only I could form the words.

Advertisements

He says that it’s futile of me to try to warn Mom and Dad—by the time I’m able to speak, he will have melted back into the shadows and I won’t remember a thing. I am helpless, unable to do anything for myself. I am at his mercy, he says, and the flicker of flame that is my life could extinguish at any moment, suddenly.

Most of us live on and grow up, with no memories of our terrifying infancy. Some, however, are not so lucky, and are snuffed out. He never leaves any evidence behind. It always looks like an accident or preexisting illness, leaving him free to move onto the next one.

He promises I’ll forget all of this. It’s inevitable, he insists. The image seared into my eyes, the ghastly horrors of his face, will fade from my memory soon enough. But I don’t understand how I could ever forget him.

The way his nails scrape across the glass of my window before he opens it and steps into my room.

The way his dark eyes swirl with malevolence and a pinch of mischief.

Advertisements

The way his moist, hot breath buffets me as I try to sleep.

Advertisements

The way his long, greasy, unkempt hair brushes across my face as he leans over my crib.

He says that Mom and Dad cannot see him, but I don’t understand how they could miss a looming, foul-smelling ageless being such as this. How could they be so blind? But I suppose there is no use in asking such questions. They too, were visited when they were young. Yet they clearly do not remember. Was it the worries and cares of the world that shattered the fragile memories of their infancy? Or does the brain forget as a means of preservation—for it cannot survive long while it houses the memory of him?

Mom and Dad keep mistaking my incessant crying for colic—as if I would scream so loudly simply because of some discomfort. They are blind to the fear in my eyes, and deaf to the unearthly tremor of his unholy laugh. So they place me back in my crib, shutting the light. I hear their footsteps fade down the hallway.

Advertisements

I am truly alone with him and his enveloping presence.

And they keep asking why I cannot sleep.

Credit: Ella Ann

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

11 thoughts on “Why I Do Not Sleep”

  1. the imagery in this is beautiful: “They come, reluctantly, with exhaustion tugging on the skin beneath their eyes and dying it a dark purple.”
    that’s amazing. i read it over, because i love this line so much,
    additionally, i love the concept. so original. im on creepy pasta constantly. most of the stories are just the same concept that is rewritten. this is amazingly well done, and so original.
    keep writing. you have a gift.

  2. YourPerfectNightmare

    This is FANTASTICALLY written. I hope you don’t mind if I do a narration of this on Friday :) I’ll do my best to do it justice :D

  3. As previously mentioned, having the baby as a narrator isn’t realistic, but I think the originality of this story makes it worthwhile.

  4. I like the idea of a baby being the narrator. It gives feeling of complete vulnerability. To me, I don’t see it as actually a monster, but the idea of growing up, causing the baby to scream in fear. All of the threats being something that we have to expect from growing older, like death and being away from parental safety.

    There wasn’t anything wrong in the story, other than a few awkwardly phrased sentences. I’ll give it a 9/10 since the amount given was too short to have it recommendable, but it was still good enough to enjoy completely. Keep writing bro, and dont be afraid to go beyond your comfort zone. Expand on new ideas and concepts and always look up new ways to wow the reader.

  5. A creepypasta with the POV of a baby! Intriguing. Well-written, and may I say congratulations to this baby for knowing what colic means.

  6. Thanks for your feedback! I really like the idea of the family pet watching this scene unfold–that’s a great concept. :)

  7. Hi! I just wanted to thank you for your response. I’ll definitely take the points you made into consideration if I revise/expand the story. I do agree that the baby POV is unrealistic, and could have been handled better. As for the monster, I’m honestly still trying to decide what exactly it is… I’ve tossed a few ideas around, but haven’t settled on anything. Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top