Advertisement
Please wait...

The Wind Whispered A Secret



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

I sat on my balcony, preparing to smoke the last cigarette of the night. It was late and my bones themselves were tired. As I snuffed out the cigarette and stood with a stretch, a noise caught my attention. It was so faint that I immediately brushed it off as the wind and continued on to bed, the noise already out of my mind.

The next morning, I returned to the balcony for more cigarettes and coffee. I watched the world wake up with me, the cars churning through the intersection like ants, the birds making their endless racket, the shadows growing steadily shorter. As I watched and listened, I heard the noise again. For a moment, I thought it was the wind, since I could see the palm fronds moving across the road. Squinting and looking down at nothing in particular, I tilted my head to try to hear it better. It wasn’t just the wind. There was a voice.

I tried to brush it off again, and continued about my day, returning to the balcony once in a while for another cigarette. I found myself squinting and tilting my head each time, the world around me forgotten in favour of this whispering wind. I couldn’t understand what it was saying. It was a like voice on the television in a room down the hall, stifled by three or four walls between us. No matter how much the noise around me died down, it was still so quiet.

Advertisements

I had another cup of coffee along with my lunch, another cigarette to smoke and that damned wind to keep my company as I sat on this damned balcony. I felt strange. I felt almost as though I weren’t myself, as if I were an actor in a screenplay of my life. I instinctively knew my lines and every move I had to make. I began to fear that voice in the wind.

Dinner. I still sat on the balcony as I ate. I didn’t want to eat, I just knew I should. I wasn’t even sure what I was eating, but I still ate it out of necessity. I lit my cigarette and listened intently. I would hear what this voice said. I must hear this voice. For an hour, I sat still, allowing my cigarette to burn down to my knuckles. I didn’t move as I felt it sear my flesh. I would hear this voice. I would hear this voice and it would tell me its secret.

I nodded off. I wasn’t aware how long I had slept, but the sky was dark and the streetlights lit. As I awoke, I had an idea. I would pretend to continue sleeping. I would lull it into the open. The crick in my neck bothered me only slightly as I waited for the wind to tell me what I so desperately wanted to know.

Advertisements

From the corner of my eye, I saw the moon rising high in the sky when I finally heard the voice again. It was clearer. No longer three or four rooms away, it was just on the other side of the wall.

I could hear it! I could hear the words!

My internal celebration was cut short, however when I finally heard the secret the wind had been keeping from me.

Advertisements
Advertisements

“The anti-psychotics appear to be working, doctor.”

Credit To – Jack Alltrade

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

15 thoughts on “The Wind Whispered A Secret”

  1. Now THAT’S spooky. Haven’t we all once wondered if we were just a hallucinating patient in a hospital who hasn’t woken up yet?

    1. Most likely it means that the narrator is hallucinating everything, that he is actually in a hospital and doctors are talking around him, although he can’t see them but just hear them as whispers in his own private world. And that should also means that actually the drugs aren’t exactly working.
      Not a bad story, but I wouldn’t exactly call it a creepypasta.

  2. Should have been a ghost, growing louder and louder, screaming “stop smoking…Stop Smoking….STOP SMOKING!!!!!”

    and the ending sucks. Unexpected though; still, it was like being surprised but having a heart condition…

  3. I’ll say this. This is the first actual surprise I had reading pastas in a long time. Could be a bit creepier, the build up wasnt scary enough.

    But still worth it for the ending.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top