Advertisement
Please wait...

The Popcorn Ceiling



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

After my parent’s divorce, and for too many years after, my twin sister Ginny would wake me up unexpectedly in the middle of the night. Her demeanor would always be frightened and scared when she did. It always reminded me of when we were kids and she would escape to my room, away from our drunken and abusive mother. Ginny would just sit on the floor at the side of my bed and brush at my hand as we stared at each other in a comforting embrace. Five, sometimes ten minutes would go by until she would start to pull away and I’d know it was over. We would never talk, but we never had to in moments like those. She just needed a place to escape.

A September night nearly four years ago was different. Ginny was exceptionally frightened and crying inconsolably. For the first time since we were children, I could feel her grasp my hand to wake me. Her grip was cold, damp and trembling in fear. She was so scared and helpless that I felt equally scared and helpless. This is a common empathy twins share, especially so for Ginny and I.

After 20 minutes of comforting her and holding her as tight as I could, I felt her slipping away again. This time she begged and pleaded to stay with me. We would never talk during her escapes, but this night was different. As I lunged and jumped to keep her from floating away, I lost my ability to feel and touch her. She floated up onto the popcorn ceiling and was dragged across harsh surface until she melted into the sheet rock and out of sight. The vision of her petrified face and desperately extended left hand will forever be seared into my memory.

Her husband must have been exceptionally rough that night four years ago, much like my mother often was when Ginny was a child. When I watched her fade away I knew I would never see her again. For some reason I just knew.

Advertisements

Confirming what I already knew, I received the bad news the next morning about her violent murder and rape at the hands of her husband. Even though I already knew the how and why, the police never could explain the scrape marks and dust on Ginny’s back. I guess I could have told them but what good would it had done anyway. Only a twin would, could understand.

I had not felt the embrace of my sister in nearly ten years prior to that moment. For whatever reason, I was able to feel her again for one last time, to be with her when she needed me most, like I always was when we were children. It never mattered that we were always a thousand miles apart.

Advertisements

Credit To – StupidDialUp

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

18 thoughts on “The Popcorn Ceiling”

  1. ThisIsDog, the twin was murdered by her husband four years prior to the protagonist writing this. She was married but got married to someone abusive.

  2. Erm, i don’t get it. I thought this was from the perspective of a five-year old who had a dead twin from an abusive mother…. How did her dead twin have a husband?

  3. So stupid. WHAT! I’M NOT CRYING, YOUR CRYING! All kiding aside this was a good pasta and it actually made my heart acke

  4. TheIntimateAvenger

    I’m going to say right off the bat that I don’t hate this story. That being said, I have MAJOR problems with it. Namely being the stupid psychic twins thing. As a triplet, I am sick to death of people trying to convince me that I’m psychic. When I say they’re wrong, they say something along the line of, “Oh, you’re just not doing it right. All twins are psychic.” Always bugs the crap out of me. Just to be clear, it doesn’t actually exist, so stop pretending to know more about my brain than me.

    1. I’m a twin and I ALWAYS know when my sister is sad, hurt or in danger. We live on opposite sides of the same city. I get this butterfly/churning feeling that makes me anxious in my stomach. It’s always completely unrelated to my situation at that time. When it happens, my mind instantly clicks to thinking of my sister. I’ve never been wrong.

  5. That first paragraph is a bit… incest-y.

    On a side note, I have no idea what I just read. It would be nice for the narrator to explain how exactly she got the dust/scratches on her back, because while it’s apparently obvious to him, it isn’t to me.

    Unless her husband was like Lou Ferigno and he threw her up to the ceiling, I guess.

    1. I can’t speak for SDU, but I think the answer lies in the title of the pasta. If you’re not familiar with popcorn ceiling treatments, GIS them. They’re rough and not always super sturdy, so I think we’re supposed to come to the conclusion that the inexplicable dust/scratches on her back actually came from the popcorn ceiling at her twin’s house – and thus the paranormal aspect of the story is solidified.

  6. I liked it a lot using the twin deal in an interesting way…could of used maybe a bit more background felt a bit rushed..but all in all good pasta

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top