Advertisement
Please wait...

The Gurgling



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

I live in a small apartment by myself, on the fifth floor. One night, a while back, I heard strange noises coming from down the hall. They weren’t shouts and they weren’t banging noises and they weren’t people fucking. They were weird. They sounded like gurgling. Loud gurgling.

Normally I don’t give a damn about what goes on in the rooms around me; my stance changes when whatever is going on pisses me off. These gurgling noises were doing just that. So, I left my apartment and headed towards the door at the end of the hallway, which seemed to be the source of the sound. I banged on the door and shouted at whoever happened to be in there to shut the hell up.

I stayed in front of the door for a little while to see if the noises would stop. They didn’t. I banged again and shouted again.

Advertisements

I heard a door open behind me, but I didn’t turn around. I knew it was some other stupid tenant who was pissed at me for shouting. Well, I was pissed at the gurgling noises.
ENTER
I kept banging and banging on the door. I had given up shouting because if I hadn’t, I would be hoarse for a week.

Ten minutes, at least, after I had left my room, the noises were still coming from the room. By now, a few other doors had been opened. I could feel the people around me. I don’t know if they wanted the noises to stop as well or if they wanted the noises I was making to stop.

Nothing was working, and my hand was starting to get numb. I rested for a minute to let my hand get some blood flow. During that time, someone behind me started talking. “Sir,” the person said (I wasn’t paying attention to the voice, so I don’t know if it was a man or a woman), “I think-”

“I don’t care what you think!” I shouted at the person.

The commentator sent me over the edge. I stepped back a bit, nerved myself, and kicked the door as hard as I could.

Advertisements

The door burst open, and I walked inside.
ENTER
There was nothing. It was a bare room, completely devoid of furniture, curtains, pictures. Everything.

Advertisements

I ran all over the apartment, looking in all the rooms for something, ANYTHING, that could be causing the gurgling noises. All the rooms were the same, with nothing at all inside. I checked the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen, figuring some water problem could be making the noises, but I found nothing. Both sinks ran fine, and the noises didn’t seem to be louder around either sink. In fact, the noises weren’t louder anywhere in the apartment. The noises were the same volume all over the apartment.

I ran out of the room, planning to get on the elevator and check the apartments above and below the one I had just checked, figuring something could be in the ceiling or floor.
ENTER
I was stopped by the owner of the building as I ran out of the apartment. Two guys grabbed ahold of me and held me, keeping me from moving.

“What’s going, [name removed]?” the owner asked, a very worried look on his face.

I explained the noises to him, as well as how the entire apartment was empty.

Advertisements

The owner shook his head and turned around. I asked him what was wrong. One of the people who had gathered in the hallway while I was beating against the door said, “What noises are you talking about? There are no noises.”
ENTER
My mother and father came to get me a couple of hours later. I was tied to a chair when they came. The other tenants had tied me up so I wouldn’t hurt myself anymore trying to find the “noises.” It turned out that my hand was badly broken from banging against the door so much. I apparently hadn’t registered the pain.

I got started on electro-shock again shortly afterwards. It seemed to be working. I didn’t think of the noises for the longest time.

Recently, however, I am hearing them again. I know that they aren’t real. I remember the incident at the apartment (which I have just told you), and I remember a similar incident which had occurred years before that one. My brain is simply wired wrong. There are no noises.

I can’t get them out of my head though. They are driving me mad. I have to figure out where they’re coming from. I have to stop them. The goddamned things are driving me nuts.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

69 thoughts on “The Gurgling”

  1. No part of this story feels the least bit believable, from the motivations to the thought process and interactions. You don’t grip the reader at any point. This is horrid.

  2. Lettuce Mcgrims

    hello, I found this creepy pasta to be really interesting and would like to use it on my Youtube channel. may I please have your permission?

  3. You sure it wasn’t something in his brain draining? Cause I’m not going to lie, I have a brain cyst that makes a sound in the back of my head when it drains, but it’s more of a crackle than a gurgle.

  4. Didn’t have much of a climax, kind of interesting idea. It could have had more plot an more twistiness,(not too much twistiness, I don’t like stories where the sweet old lady is actually satan, and the protaganist you rooted for and identified with, well he works for her, oh, and the antagonist he’s a T-rex that shoots laser beams from his eyes.) That’s too much twistiness. But, I digress, it was okay, but this pasta could definitely use some sauce.

  5. Are the enters supposed to make us feel like the protagonist? Like we “see” a sound that isn’t really there (the return key is also known as enter)

  6. I agree with Ranse Truman, I was waiting for some kind of climatic, other-worldly being to pop up and I got nothing for my troubles.

    I put up with all of the ENTERs because I was expecting some kind of plot device or something.

    This story was not that great, 4/10, I think it could be so much better, though. The plot is good, the buildup is good, but the ending is terrible.

  7. Just informing SIerra of Van Gogh. (I had a whole class in Modern Art History about him) he cut off his ear to give to a prostitute he painted who always told him how much she loved his ears, he thought the token would win her love…
    It won him a restraining order.

  8. Oh, shit, I’m sorry mate- I was squatting for a bit ‘cuz the apartment was empty, and you must’ve heard my Listerine. YOU MAD

  9. Coulda been more interesting if I wasn’t mentally editing the story the whole damned time.

    The ENTER drove me nuts, too. I presume it’s a formatting issue.

  10. Indeed, the ending killed it. I mean, people doing things because of madness is creepy, but only when that thing is something dangerous and is at least mildly hinted at.

    This ending was simply: “since I’m crazy, I will do something”.

  11. I agree, lost the creepy potential with the ending. It could easily be someone uncle’s story. Okay, now it kicked in. O_o

    And, sorry for touching on the same spot, but what are those “ENTER” things in the middle of the text?

  12. As soon as I saw “Apartment” and “fifth floor” I stopped reading D: IT’S SO ACURATE THAT IT SCARES ME ;_;

  13. Snazzy Cheez luvs scares

    soz- hueva that bloke is- coz u c, when io eat pot8toes, when my stomach rumbles quite a lot and it usually makes hte apartments shke. if what you herd was a gurgling sound cumin from no where, then yer, it was ma stomach… :S

  14. PERSONALLY, I don’t think he was crazy, I think that it was a conspiracy, and everyone else just said there were no noises to cover something up.

  15. Guy wit hstomach disease

    sorry guys,that “gurgling” was me,and it wasnt gurgling,i bin sittin on the throne takin a big ol shit,and i was in the appartment above the one down the hall,its jsut the way our pipes are run.

  16. i’m annoyed at having wasted my time reading all that just for “the noise was in my head”, there’s no climax or even a point to this story

  17. i thought van gogh lopped off his ear as a present to his dead gf
    btw…the story was bogus ><
    i lolled at comments 6, 7, and 12 though XD

  18. Actually to everyone wrote, ‘He’s crazy, or ‘Nutso’ etcetera he’s not.
    Van Goagh (Apoligies if I spelt his name wrong) Cut his ear off because he kept hearing a buzzing in it and for a long time thought it was coming from somewhere else.
    Turns out the small bone in his ear (that helps you hear by vibrating) was, for lack of better words, broken.
    This guy could have something wrong with the passage in his ear like, say for instance, wax buildup or air trapped in a pocket made by wax buildup.

  19. Awh im so disspointed! Damn i was expecting some really good reason why there was a gurgling sound but no.. :( lol

  20. Rofl 6 7 and 12 made me laugh so hard i had tears.

    Story was making me think “Wow, That guy must really have some serious diarrea.”

  21. Coming from someone who is equally crazy

    Maybe it was something from another world? Making you insane for its own entertainment

    Either that or the people in your apartment just like messing with you

  22. Not creepy, just crazy. I suppose anything that is probable in real life would be not as creepy, especially if it can be explained by SCIENCE.

    In this case, SCHIZOPHRENIA WAS PHONE.

  23. I think he might be mildly schizophrenic, or maybe he’s got a choking flea in his ear who puts morphine in his coffee every morning.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top