Advertisement
Please wait...

The Oneirophage



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

In the late ’40s of the last century, after a decade of private research involving experiments with binaural beat brainwave frequencies, extrasensory cognition, and rare extracts of a South American vine, Dr. Tomás Roessner perfected a technique whereby one could actually intrude into the psyche and “see” another’s thoughts. Despite having exhaustively documented his rigorous work, he could find no institution that would even offer to review it. Forced to sell his invention, he found by word of mouth among those through whom he procured narcotics a prospective buyer, the bête noire of an old New York family, Mr. John M. Dunn, a voyeuristic connoisseur of the supernatural and the obscene, who had squandered his idle youth in the great libraries of Paris, those catacombs of departed authors, rummaging among their hordes of dusty and obsolete works; a literary ghoul who disturbed with profane fingers the charnel-houses of decayed philosophies. He readily agreed to the Dr.’s asking price without haggling, delighted at the prospect of exploring such a bizarre novelty.

Once adept at the operation of the apparatus, Dunn paid Dr. Roessner off and under an assumed name rented a shabby house within view of Sing Sing prison. In the timeless night, while the convicts fitfully slept, with the aid of a set of stolen blueprints and his new mindreading device, he raided their memories cell by cell at liberty to savor the forbidden thrill of thefts, molestations, moonlit homicides, in secret, without remorse or consequence.

Within a month, the prisoners, telling each other about the nightmares from which they had all begun abruptly to awaken, discovered they shared striking similarities: first, processions of alligators and tortoises filed through a swamp crowded with faceless people and shrieking orchids; next, a shadow man, at whom they looked directly but could never quite see, would watch them in utter stillness from an empty house while invisible hands probed behind their eyes as they had to stand naked, legs locked in place, unable to run away. Their compared descriptions of the house were identical, including its location just outside the walls. By mutual agreement, it was planned that the first of them to receive parole or be released would search this house out to find if it really existed, and investigate the source of their troubling dreams.

Advertisements

A few days after being freed, their chosen spy was able to inform them with a smuggled message in code that not only was the house real, but he had broken into it at night and found a gaunt, moustached man in a silk smoking jacket seated bolt upright, head thrust back, both eyes gaping, mouth stuck open in a stiffened gasp, clenched hands gripping the arms of his chair, in front of a “scientific machine.” A handwritten journal on the desk told the whole story of his adventures prying unconstrained through their psyches, plundering the haunted memories of criminal after criminal, seeking ever more shameful and audacious experiences until finally he wrote, on July 7th, of his overwhelming desire to witness telepathically the next execution in the prison’s notorious electric chair.

Advertisements

Credit: S.W. Rice

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

15 thoughts on “The Oneirophage”

  1. I think the art of this was your excellent writing skills and succinct ending, with a unique twist on mind-reading. But you NEED to shorten sentences, or at the very least ensure there is variation and breaks between several-line sentences. Grammar and everything was perfect, but even a beautifully constructed sentence of such length can be unwieldy.

  2. Excellent. In the sequel, I’d like to see someone acquire the machine and intend to do good with it, but still wind up somehow horrifically maimed. :)

  3. Didn’t flow very well. I don’t want to sound ignorant when I say that the overuse of “big” words detracted from the story and made it seem like the author was trying too hard, but I’ll risk it.
    Couldn’t get into the story and expected more from it due to the eloquent vocabulary. You set the bar higher than you could reach, my friend.
    The conclusion was lost on me and didn’t feel right. 7/10 for that…should’ve put more thought into the ending.

  4. Started out strong, but petered out of energy at the end. I thought this was going to be much lengthier given the detailed backstory about the Paris catacombs, only to have the body of the story lacking and glossed over quickly in order to get to the lackluster ending.

  5. Awww, there is so much potential! The very idea of mind reading is great, and with the start of so much background like Paris’ catacombs and a man with bizarre and depraved intentions truly strikes up a strange feeling in me. My body was ratcheting up, getting ready for a real thriller as it felt to come, but fell idly disappointed that there wasn’t more. Anyways, there was the spices, but can most definitely use much more pasta. 8/10 for potential.

  6. Very good story with excellent language. Short with a powerful punch.I detect a Lovecraftian influence here.

    I particularly like how well the story wraps up, quick and fulfilling.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top