MORE TOP RANKED STORIES WE THINK YOU'LL ENJOY:
- Psychosis ★ 9.17 Rating (19233 votes)
- The Seer of Possibilities ★ 9.15 Rating (7445 votes)
- He Who Wanders ★ 9.15 Rating (392 votes)
- Mr. Widemouth ★ 9.14 Rating (8713 votes)
- Bedtime ★ 9.14 Rating (11058 votes)
- The Perfectly Behaved Boy – A Dark Christmas Tale ★ 9.13 Rating (1044 votes)
- The Fairies ★ 9.13 Rating (2182 votes)
- The Quiet Sky ★ 9.13 Rating (494 votes)
- Becoming ★ 9.13 Rating (16 votes)
- Playpen ★ 9.13 Rating (133 votes)
On his way home that night, as he walked through town, a man stepped out of an alley in front of him. He tensed to defend himself, but the man just stood there. Looking him over, he realised the man looked like a hippie. Something of a comedy caricature of a hippie, really. Long unwashed hair and beard, sandals…and a sandwich board reading ‘THE END IS NIGH’. That, he thought, was unusual, even for a hippie.
“You want something?” he asked.
“The world’s ending,” said the hippie. “I need your help.”
He stepped around the hippie and kept walking. High as a kite, he thought to himself. The hippie started walking after him, and fell into step beside him.
“Please, I need your help,” said the hippie.
“Look, man, I’m really not interested,” he said, and kept walking.
The hippie leant against a wall, watching him walk away. The hippie wasn’t all that disappointed; lots of people gave this kind of response. Another skeptic, he thought to himself, fingering the ragged holes through the middles of his hands.