Advertisement
Please wait...

Born Dead



Estimated reading time — 6 minutes

On my sixteenth birthday, just after I had blown out the candles on a fairy cake, my mother told me that I was born dead.

“I’m so happy that you made it,” she said.

I pulled the fork out of my mouth.

Advertisements

“What?”

“Oh,” she said. “I guess we never told you. If not for aunt Kirah you wouldn’t even have made it through your first day.”

Aunt Kirah. Nurse Kirah.

My mother’s contractions started in her lunch break, two months early. She was at the hospital twenty minutes later and another hour after that she pushed my head out of her body.

Like most babies, I didn’t breathe. The doctor gave me a light slap, like for all babies. Another light slap, like for some babies. Then a stronger slap.

At that point my mother started screaming. A thick stream of blood ran out of her lower body. The doctor handed me over to a young nurse who tried another slap and then quickly passed me on to a 24 year old nurse. Nurse Kirah.

Advertisements

Kirah wrapped her mouth around mine and blew air into my nose. She used two of her fingers to quickly massage my chest. She paused, blew another gust of air into my lungs and kept massaging. Over and over again.

My mother stopped screaming. They managed to stop her bleeding too.

They told nurse Kirah to stop the cpr. They said it was hopeless. The doctor tried to pull her hand away from my small and still chest. When that didn’t succeed he declared me dead.

Two days after my sixteenth birthday I met Kirah again. To me she had always been aunt Kirah, never nurse Kirah.

“The world just disappeared,” she said. “It was like there was only you and me and my whole life seemed to have led to that moment.”

She took a bite of the fairy cake and smiled.

“It’s strange, but I don’t even remember moving my fingers or giving you mouth-to-mouth. I just wanted to save you and in that moment nothing else mattered, not even my own life. I just knew you would live.”

“Even when everyone told you to stop?”

Kirah nodded.

“Even then. I knew that you would live and I would have done anything just to make you take that first breath.”

“Thank you.”

“It’s okay. I’m happy that I did. Make sure you bring good to the world.”

Three days after my sixteenth birthday I announced to my parents that I would become a nurse. By the time I turned seventeen they had convinced me to become a doctor instead.

Studying medicine was the most difficult time of my life – or at least the most difficult time that I remember.

Before I gave them a tour of the grounds my parents had never even entered a lecture hall. They had supported me in school, but universit was different and when my trouble with deadlines and stacks of learn-this-by-heart sheets started they didn’t know how to help.

Aunt Kirah did know. She came and showed me the best books. She taught me mnemonics for the most important bones and muscles. She even taught me how to take proper notes and where to sit in the lecture hall – not in the first two or three rows so you don’t get picked on, but in the first third of the hall.

“The ones in the back,” Kirah said, “Are either shy or don’t want to listen. As a doctor you shouldn’t be shy and as a smart girl you should want to listen. It’s not cool to sit in the back. It’s the seats of those that want to chat and gossip or sleep. It’s the seats of those that want to fail and it’s not cool to fail.”

I would be lying if I said my grades were great. But I never failed an exam and my grades were high enough that, when my first placement went well, they allowed me to join the neonatology specialisation. It felt like the right thing to do, the right thing to give back.

When I graduated I had three parents to watch my hat fly. There were my parents, of course, and aunt Kirah sat to the left of my mom with a big smile on her face.

Kirah also helped me get my first job – in her hospital. In the hospital in which I was born dead.

She showed me the way around and introduced me to the other nurses. Aunt Kirah told me how to learn the most and how to handle those wrinkly, small and fragile humans with care, but she also scolded me with her soft voice whenever I handled a newborn too roughly or made decisions that she thought were not ideal.

Just for one year I had that pleasure. I wish I would have thanked her more often.

The doctor’s life is hard. You have to be calm and compassionate to your patients all day. That life doesn’t allow you to take rest and think of yourself. But most of all it doesn’t give you time to sit back and see all the other people in your life that would need your compassion.

I knew that her husband had died long ago, but aunt Kirah never wore a sad face. I also heard the rumors but with my thoughts on the patients I quickly discarded those words from my mental stack.

“Unhappy.”

“Miscarried.”

“Lonely.”

“Can’t have children.”

“Always just at work.”

I always asked her how she was and she always said she was fine. A whole year and I didn’t listen.

She was standing behind me while I was giving advice to a soon-to-be mother. I felt her hand on my shoulder and then she pulled it away.

“… and we even offer a water birth, if …”

The patient turned white.

Advertisements

“Oh my god,” the patient said. “Oh my god.”

A “What?” left my mouth but before she could answer I heard the heavy thud behind me.

Aunt Kirah’s arms and legs were twitching, then cramped. Her lower jaw was pulled down and her eyes turned inside.

Seizure.

We gave her muscle relaxants but her mouth never closed again.

Kirah was in that bed for a week. There were so many flowers that even the second table didn’t suffice.

There were always people in her room, holding her hand and saying kind words. Only when I said that I was a doctor and needed privacy, then they would leave and I would sit down and cry with my head on her chest.

When she fell her head had hit the floor. An aneurysm. Brain dead.

I hadn’t paid attention to that hand on my shoulder; to that hand pulling on my coat.

After a week her doctor made the decision to pull the plug.

“Please don’t,” I said.

He looked at her face.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “But you know she’s dead already.”

That afternoon my parents came. Kirah’s sister and her two nephews too.

One after the other a slow procession of nurses and doctors went through the room to squeeze her hand or kiss her forehead.

All except my parents and her sister and nephews left. I was the one that pulled the plug.

There is no sound like that steady, long beep. No sound where you hope so much that it would sound different.

A week later I emptied her locker. Another nurse, one around Kirah’s age, came into the room while I was folding a blue sweater.

The nurse looked around the room, then quickly approached me. She held a file towards me. It had Kirah’s name on it and a patient number.

“We shouldn’t give this out,” she said. “But I think you might want it.”

Advertisements

“Why?”

“You will see.”

That night, with the basket of Kirah’s possessions on a chair and a glass of sour white wine on the table, I opened that file.

There were not many pages of the first years. Just her profile and insurance data. A few standard tests.

I felt a stone in my stomach when I saw the pregnancy test. Positive.

There were several more lab results. An admission sheet. One word was scribbed in red letters at the top of the page.

“Miscarriage.”

My training took over. I looked through the data on the page and didn’t find a cause. For nearly half an hour I read through the sheet and the lab results stapled to the yellow cardboard. All results seemed fine. She had been admitted in the afternoon with pain and bleeding, but there didn’t seem to be a cause.

There was an operation report too. They removed her uterus.

I sank the file on the table and felt tears roll down my cheeks.

I had never listened. I had never wondered why she was alone.

That’s why she had always cared for me so much. She had saved me. She had given life to me. I had been her replacement child.

I took the glass and raised it.

“I would have done anything just to make you take that first breath,” she had said.

“Thank you,” I whispered.

It was in that moment, when my eyes were somewhere on the ceiling and the cold of the glass touched my lips.

The page had turned back to the page with the red letters at the top.

My eyes moved back to the page. I looked at the large scribbled word with the capital M. My eyes moved down the page. Then I saw the date.

My birthday.

Credit To – Anton Scheller

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

46 thoughts on “Born Dead”

  1. She saved the nieces life and because she added a life, her own child was lost to make the balance even. It’s trying to say she tipped the scales by saving her still born niece and she had to lose her own child to keep the scales even.

  2. I think it was either the stress of saving the narrator’s life that caused Kirah’s miscarriage or when they thought she was miscarrying and opened her up they found her baby, but she gave it to her sister instead so that she wouldn’t have to deal with losing a child. This was sweet, not creepy. Kirah was an amazing person either way, giving up her only child to help someone else…that’s a true hero, even if it was something fantastical, like soul transference, where the soul of Kirah’s baby went into her sister’s baby.

  3. The ending can be interpreted in quite a few ways, but none that would make the story truly creepy. Per se, it is a fantastically touching story, but its not an actual creepypasta.

  4. When they removed her uterus they thought it was a miscarrige but when they removed it , they found the narrarator of the story.

  5. Kirah gave her baby’s life to save the narrator. She didn’t miscarry, have a hysterectomy and then save the narrator. She saved the narrator, misscarried and then had a hysterectomy. This pasta hit me right in the feels.

  6. This was a nice little bitter-sweet story. :) I don’t think this is a very creepy pasta, but it is a nice little story. X)

    I rate this 5/10.

  7. For those who don’t get the ending. What happened is that the nurse tried to have a baby, but had a miscarriage. Soon after, she was working and saw another dead baby. She tried her best to save it so the mother would not have to go through the horrors she endured. When she did save it, she thought of it as her own baby, but still let the parents keep her.

  8. Okay for those who are confused…..Her aunt miscarriaged on the same day she was born right, so basically with the whole an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth and a life for a life rule, she was saved, but at the expense of her aunt’s baby. She was supposed to be the one to die, but her aunt saved her even though she was told to stop, and that it was useless and all that, so that ‘life’ had to come from somewhere….which happenned to be her aunt’s unborn child.

  9. How can a woman miscarry and have a hysterectomy and return to work as an L&D RN that same day. Really cause i’m totally going to be able to do a 12 hour shift right after surgery.

  10. You had me right until the end. The “twist” was more of half turn into confusion.

    If you worked on the concept and tweaked the ending, it would be pretty good.

  11. A well-written story, but I’m also unclear about the ending. I THINK the implication is that Kirah unwittingly sacrificed her own unborn child’s life to save the protagonist.

  12. Nice story.
    But I read the entire story expecting a “creepy” ending or something.
    This belongs in a maternity website, not here.
    FAIL

  13. I think this is a really sweet story. It doesn’t really hit on the creepy factor for me, though I can think of a couple of possible supernatural explanations. I wish the author had made it a bit more clear the direction this story was intended to go, because there are more mundane and more supernatural options along a spectrum. But as a story, I really enjoyed this. I liked the way it was written, very reflective. It maybe could have used one more proofread to catch little typos (universit for university), but I didn’t find them too distracting. While it seems to be an atypical story for this site, I still really liked it. Thanks for a great read!

  14. Uhm, first thing I feel that there is something amiss after “they declared me dead”. Supposedly, the CPR worked after that, but why not mention it?
    About the plot, I can only assume that the nurse somehow gave the life of her yet unborn child to save that of the narrator.

  15. I didn’t get the ending…. I know, it was her birthday. But anyone TRY to explain what the heck happened to me?

  16. Firstly, WELL DONE! I truly enjoyed this pasta to the last bite! Short. Short and sweet and to the point, but MAN!; jam packed. No locations were given, but it was like just remembering a memory. An ever present guardian angel who…

    wait. This is a good pasta. I really want to talk about how I think she miscarried and then while the protagonist was born and dying, she “asked” for her baby’s soul to return to her. The mouth to mouth was the connection. They have a little poofer thing for babies; so why the mouth to mouth? Soul transferals may need physical contact with the body. Her dead baby was still inside her so CPR was a convenient way to put the soul into a new body. Saved her life? More like took it…so…She is still kinda dead lol.

  17. i think that the main character is actualy dead but its wierd becuase shes talking and telling like you and me but the title is born dead

  18. This is more sweet than creepy…but still, I don’t think anyone was expecting that plot twist near the end. Brilliant pasta, 10/10.

  19. The same day she lost her baby she saved the MC. Or at least she gave up her ability to have children to save that one life.

  20. I can’t figure a lot of it out either but the day she miscarried her child was the day she came to her birthday…. I think

    1. It’s hard to say, I took it as the protagonist being Kirah’s resuscitated baby. For some strange reason, the baby was somehow replaced.

    2. I think the Aunt was her real mother and gave her baby up and faked a miscarriage so that the other baby can “live.” Either that or shese the real mother

    3. The_Amazing SAF

      I think that the mother’s child actually died, and that the main character was actually Kirah’s child. I think that it’s supposed to mean that Kirah switched the babies and gave the mother HER baby.

      1. I think that the same day that Kirah miscarried, the protagonist was born, and Kirah probably didn’t want to have to see another baby not live, hence her trying her hardest to save the protagonist. but that’s just my two cents

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top