Advertisement
Please wait...

What Are You Really Afraid Of?



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

We all have our own little fears: spiders, dark corridors, porcelain dolls. Some people have some very strange and obscure fears like things not being organized. Some people are afraid of not being perfect or being alone.

But we have to be choosy about the things we decide to fear. Someday, perhaps in our dreams or slowly creeping into reality, those fears will take over our lives.

———————

Advertisements

Spiders will invade your home; they will be in every cabinet, skittering over the walls and crawling over you in your sleep. Their small, beady eyes will stare at you from all of the walls of your home and you will never be able to leave your home again. Soon, all you will be able to see is spiders. All of the pictures on your walls, the windows in your house, the food that you try to eat, will all be covered with the eight legged creatures. Spiders of all sizes and species will crawl along with your every footstep, and some big black ones will jitter into corners when you enter the room. The spiders will nip at you until there is nothing left.

———————

The dark corridor that you walk down every day will never end. As you pass open doors, you will see unspeakable scenes of torture, malice and horror. Dark shadows will follow at your heels and your sides, whispering disturbing things that add to the terror that the dark corridor installs in your very bones. The corridor is a bit warm; perhaps it is heated by the fires that you can see spewing in some of the room. You will never get used to the things you see in the corridor; the things that slither out of the doors and bite at your heels and arms only hasten your pace. If you somehow reach the end without giving into madness, you will be swallowed up by the darkness and thrust into the pits of anguish along with the other who have walked this corridor.
———————
Porcelain dolls. Some choose to admire their perfect white faces; their painted beauty remains eternal. Others cringe when they meet the gaze of their faultless eyes. The crack splitting from the eye to the chin looks like a dark, shattered tear. You break its gaze and look down, but there’s another one. In fact, the room is filled with the dolls in varying sizes and colors. You feel a cool grip on your ankle that makes you jump. One of the dolls has grabbed your ankle. One of the bigger ones on the chair stands up stiffly, walks behind you, and starts to shove you into the room. Your struggling and fighting does nothing. All of the dolls begin to climb off of their chairs and shelves and walk to the center of the room to slowly begin tearing you apart with their small, cool hands, limb by limb, skin and muscle from bone.

———————

Your life will condemned by organizing. You will constantly run around your home, adjusting every detail. The fingers on your hands will be red and raw, occasionally leaving bloodstains on the things that you pass. You’ll have to clean that, too. Nothing will ever be perfect in your eyes. Eventually, you’ll snap. First, you will polish the silverware and place them into neat piles. Then, taking one of the shined spoons, you will gouge out your eyes to save yourself from seeing the rest of the unorganized world. But, realizing that the spoon is now bloodied and the red droplets are beginning to cover the floor, you will begin to feebly attempt to clean the mess.

Advertisements

———————

Advertisements

The room is all mirrors. Your face reflects from every angle. All you do is stare at yourself and try to perfect the reflection you see. You can never get close, though. People have come in and told you that you look beautiful, but you never believe them. Eventually, they stopped coming, but you didn’t care. Now you had more time and fewer distractions to try and make yourself the image that you have always dreamed of. Things like eating don’t matter too much anymore, though you do eat and drink a little bit every now and then so you can survive and continue your ever-present task. One day, though, it becomes too much. You scream your throat raw and claw at your face until your hands and arms are coated in blood and only your skull remains.

———————

Advertisements

The concrete walls are like a jail to you. But they are, in fact, a jail: There are no windows or doors, just an old fashioned lamp dangling from the ceiling. The silence is so loud you feel like screaming to break it, but you can’t. The emptiness paralyzes you. You bury your face in your hands, so you don’t see where they came from. One second, the room is empty, but the next, there are black forms spread throughout the room. The relief that you were expecting didn’t come, only fear. The things open their mouths and begin screaming like you thought about doing. These screams were both human and inhuman, but you don’t care. All you care about is that they’re loud. Really, REALLY loud. They pierce your ears and numb your brains of any thoughts besides the black forms and the screaming. Your ears begin to bleed and you head starts to split as you now wish that you were alone again.

———————

You see? Fears can lead to some horrible things, things you may regret when the time comes when they come for you. Now, REALLY think about it, what are you really afraid of? Because you don’t want it to be something you will repent when your time comes. . .

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

28 thoughts on “What Are You Really Afraid Of?”

  1. I’m completely fucked with my phobias… May the gods have pity on me D:
    Overall these stories weren’t exactly scary and I feel as if this was a bit of a rushed job.. One of my phobia is spiders, but the spider part didn’t even phase me… It’s hard to write about phobias and fears as it’s something that depends quite a lot on the person. Not everyone experiences them the same way.

  2. I didn’t really like this, it’s like seeing scenes from hell, but it wasn’t creepy somehow.. It just didn’t get to me, it was flat descriptions, there seemed to be no emotion. It just seemed like random flat descriptions of things that are supposed to seem scary, dolls, spiders etc.

    Just didn’t creep me out…

  3. Wait…what?

    This has literally no plot and no linear structure. It’s like, “Hey, here’s a list of scary stuff, wouldn’t that be scary? OMG SOME STUFF HAPPENED THAT I DIDN’T FEEL LIKE WRITING ABOUT, so don’t ever get scared or…something will happen!”

    I am so confused and underwhelmed.

  4. I have a fear of porcelain dolls, the dark, and swirly dark shit that you see when you look around in a dark room after just getting up. :)
    I keep thinking that porcelain dolls are going to look at me or walk when I stare long enough.
    I believe that the dark you describe isn’t my version, it is more like if you breathe on my damn neck, or I think someone is staring right at my back I just walk faster or I run.
    The swirly dark shit you see is when you just got up and look around a dark room and see something that you think just moved.
    Every other fear is shit.

  5. You really should have just picked one of these fears and wrote a story about how the fear progressed and took over. The short, little paragraphs about different fears aren’t really that interesting to read nor are they creepy.

  6. This, to me, wasn’t creepy at all. Maybe it would be to someone who actually had one of the phobias mentioned, but even then I’m not so sure. The descriptions were to matter-of-fact and clear to be scary, and I wouldn’t say OCD or vanity are actually fears. That being said, the idea of the story was good, it just needs some adjustments.

        1. You’re probably referring to the wrong “to” in my comment. I meant to correct “too matter-of-fact”.

  7. I thought this piece showcased the challenges of making vignettepastas quite well.

    First, this pasta was a complete scattershot. Nothing persists between the scenes: there’s no overreaching plot and no characters, besides a placeholder second-person stand-in.

    I see the main strength of vignettes as allowing the author to explore lots of scenes while also allowing a neat tying-together, giving the impression of a large, implied world and plot. I think the author here was aiming to scare everyone equally, but IMO the scattershot single-scenes without plot, connection or characters couldn’t explore any of the fears deeply enough; in the end they felt like cutting-room patches strung together.

    The different scenes were also repetitive, in a way; most of them ended in ‘…and then you died in a gory fashion.’ I thought the author tried too hard to force this ending, even resorting to contrived deus ex machinae that had no relation to the initial fear (the mirror scene, the jail scene, the corridor scene).

    This bit of forcing coupled with the sometimes awkward tell-not-show descriptions (‘they’re loud. Really, REALLY loud’) gave the weird impression that the author was trying too hard to scare the reader. That said, some of the scenes were genuinely creepy: the OCD scene especially for me was faintly ironic, even.

    Overall, a vignettepasta with quite lofty though unattained ambitions. 5.2/10

    1. Sepia, you are honestly the best reviewer on this site. I hope I get one of your comments if I ever submit anything to creepypasta, you’re always very helpful and constructive.

      1. Thanks ^_^ I try my best. I should also refer you to Len Lye and the others; reviews are best done in multitudes. Looking forward to your pasta if you ever submit one!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top