Advertisement
Please wait...

The Piano Man



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

When I graduated from college, my best friend Diana and I embarked upon a grand tour of Europe. Halfway through our trip, we had planned to spend three days in Prague, but had completely failed to account for poor weather hindering all of our sight-seeing plans. As a result of ensuing downpour for our entire time we spent in the city, we found ourselves aimlessly wandering through back alleys and side streets, entering every vaguely interesting shop as an excuse to get out of the rain. On our last day, we found an antique book store. Upon entering, we were blown away by the sheer vastness of the place and the overwhelming stacks of books. An elderly woman behind a desk in the front gave us a little smile and greeted us before we both separated and began exploring.

The store was impressively large for a seemingly unassuming place. I spent over an hour wandering through the aisles, before I found myself in the shop’s basement. Upon entering the basement, my eyes fell upon a beautiful, old piano. As a well practiced pianist and having not seen a piano in over two months, I was thrilled. I looked around excitedly to make sure I wouldn’t be bothering any other shoppers, but there was no one around. Grinning to myself, I strode over to the piano and took a seat on the bench in front of it. The cold of the leather on the seat bit into my skin, but I didn’t care. I ran my hands over the keys. Ivory, most likely, I thought to myself. I could tell the piano was old and therefore expected it to be out of tune, but was delighted when the chords I executed rang with perfect clarity.

“You play very beautiful,” a voice cracked behind me, and I jumped. An old man was standing directly behind me, and I hadn’t heard him approach. Smiling at the complement, I thanked him before he continued in very broken English, “She plays very good, but is missing two keys…Only 86.” I was having a hard time understanding what the man was saying through his accent and was going to ask him to repeat what he meant, but he smiled again and gestured for me to continue playing. After a few minutes, I gave up playing as Diana entered the basement, laughing at the absurdity of the scene in front of her. I had not noticed the old man leave, but was too busy excitedly telling Diana about how beautifully the piano played to put much thought to the matter.

Advertisements

Upon paying for our books back upstairs at the cash, the old woman complimented my playing and surprised me by asking if I would like the piano. At first I laughed, shocked by the offer. However, she went on to explain that the piano had passed through a variety of homes over the years, with no one ever keeping it long enough to enjoy its grandeur. She continued that she had been having difficulty selling it as the body cavity had been glued shut, and therefore could never be tuned. She told me that if I could cover the shipping costs to get the instrument home, I could take it for free, as she was just hoping to pass it on to someone more musical than herself. Seeing as we were travelling with nothing but backpacks, I laughed and told her I’d think it over for the night. However, Diana was ecstatic about the idea. When we returned to the flat we were staying in, we did some searching around on the internet, and placed a few phone calls, before establishing that shipping the piano home would actually be relatively cheap. As I was going to be moving in to my very first apartment upon returning from my trip, the prospect of having my own piano was thrilling.

When I returned from Europe at the end of the summer, my mysterious piano finally arrived. As I began to adjust to my new routine- new job, new apartment, new boyfriend- playing my piano became the part of the day I most looked forward to. I would practically race off the bus after a long day at work, run inside to feed the cat, and then sit down on the warm leather of the bench and begin to create my music. I remember one cold night in March, Peter was over and he was teasing me by insisting he had never heard me play.

“You’ll have to start staying over some more if you want Friday to like you,” I giggled, gesturing to my cat, who was vehemently hissing at him. “She takes about a solid month to warm up to people.” At Pete’s insistence, I sat down on the bench and smiled as the familiar feeling of contentedness washed over me. After about half an hour, I heard my cell phone ring, and answered it to hear Diana talking. She was out of breath and excitedly trying to explain that she had found an old photograph in one of the books she had bought months ago in Prague, and that she was pretty sure it was of a young girl sitting at the very piano in my apartment. I told her to email me the picture, before we started gossiping about the Bachelorette finale that had aired the night before.

Advertisements

When I hung up, Peter was putting on his jacket, saying he needed to go to work early in the morning. I was a bit annoyed he didn’t want to stay the night, but I pretended not to care, so I walked him downstairs. On the way back up to my apartment, I realized I had gotten the email Diana had sent me. Upon opening the picture, I could see right away that she was right about the piano being the same. It was the same leather-bound bench, the same beautiful woodwork, the same porcelain-white keys. However, something about the photo seemed a bit off. As I was trying to decide what was strange about it, Friday ran past me and bolted towards a man at the end of the hallway.

“Friday come here!” I exclaimed loudly. As I ran over the man, I was already apologizing, “I’m sorry she’s not normally like this.” When the man’s eyes met mine, I felt as though I had seen that smile before. Before I could dwell on this, Friday clawed at my leg, and I hoisted her up and carried her back to my apartment. I returned back to my phone and the picture Diana had emailed, and took a seat on the bench on front of the piano to study the picture some more. What was it? Then it occurred to me. The piano in the picture was smaller than the one in front of me right now. As an eerie feeling washed over me, I remembered something I had been told about the instrument months before, and found myself counting the keys of the piano in the photograph. 71. What the fuck, I thought.

But then it hit me. And as it did, a chill swept over me. A chill made worst by the fact that the bench I was sitting on was ice cold. The coldness swept through me as it dawned on me that my piano bench was never cold. Ever. This bench is always warm. And that was when I realized where I had seen that smile before. Friday darted towards my apartment door as I heard a soft whisper,

Advertisements
Advertisements

And you will be 87.

Credit: Satine Fenner

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

23 thoughts on “The Piano Man”

  1. Would be a better SCP as it’s a piano that makes keys out of humans, kid of sounds like an SCP, but great job!

  2. Decent story, I just wish that the man would’ve had a bigger part. It’s not so scary when the murderer is only mentioned twice and is nice both times lol

  3. Damn. The logic in this story proves hard to justify. Realistically I was playing the Devil’s advocate for the most part here; I’m not a big fan of this story at all.

  4. There was this huge build up to something that wasn’t very scary, mainly because it severely lacks an explanation. I admit I was on edge, awaiting some big reveal/twist, but the story really didn’t follow through.
    Your writing was concise though; you got a lot of info into a short story. You didn’t branch off or get distracted with minor details. That’s skilful, and made the read enjoyable.
    However, it simply wasn’t creepy. The scary aspects involved were definitely not to my taste. As I said, it didn’t follow through for me. I still appreciate how well written it was, even though I didn’t enjoy the plot too much. 4/10

  5. Sorry but there were a number of things that jumped at me as stretching it a bit. Shipping a piano is anything but cheap, and counting the keys from an old photo?

    Nice premise but things need to be tied together a bit neater.

  6. Sorry but this needs a lot of work. Apart from the unbelievably vague premise (was the old man just some sick butcher/craftsman who added body parts to his piano or was there something supernatural at play i.e souls being trapped in the piano?), the character’s reactions and thoughts were just not believable in the slightest.

    How on earth did she manage to deduce that she was going to be ‘added’ to the piano, just from looking at some old photograph (also I have no idea how she knew it was the same piano- if it did have less keys, the natural inclination most people would have would be to assume it was a different instrument) and meeting some creepy dude a couple of times (plus some vague and cryptic remark made at the beginning)?

    It seems like you’ve got this idea about a creepy ‘soul-eating’ piano and owner-or something- but haven’t done the necessary work to actually tie that idea into your story. Instead you’ve just made your protagonist omniscient and somehow aware of not only the fact that’s she’s in a creepy pasta but also the actual plot synopsis of said creepy pasta.

  7. I really did like how this started, but then it started to get a little over complicated once the piano became involved, and finally, the ending fell really flat.

    The idea is nice, I started to feel a little creeped out and was really hoping to find out exactly what was up with the piano. Unfortunately I was left a bit disappointed by the lack of explanations, such as why the piano is glued shut, why the seat went from ice cold to warm to cold again, who that old man was, and how a piano grow without anyone questioning the odd and changing number of keys.

    Besides lacking explanation, it could have been simplified a bit. Otherwise, the writing was decent and it seems like a pretty good effort, so I’ll give 7/10.

  8. Hmm i dont really get the ending.. is it that every owner of the piano dies and becomes a key or something like that ?

  9. Deadlynightshade

    Wasn’t the bench ice cold when she first sat on it? So was it a different piano? I’m having trouble understanding. The grammar was good but I just don’t follow.

  10. I really liked this! I definetly think it could be doing with being extended, it could benefit from more build up to the climax, more detail and somehow, more information on the piano…. Like, how does the old woman tie into the story? Is she related somehow to the man? How does he make the people into parts of the piano? Some obscure preface maybe, the man experimenting with his skill, crafting the piano, discovering how much better it sounds when it’s made from humans, but not giving too much away?!…. Alot of the pasta’s I’ve read recently have been pretty long, but with unnescessary detail and repetition – I’d happily have given this story half an hour – I loved the concept <3 Best pasta I've tasted this session!

  11. I wonder how complicated it is to ship a piano? I bet it’s complicated.

    Well, I enjoyed the premise of the story, and I’m always up for haunted object stories, but there were many loose ends to me that really brought the story down.

    First of all, what in the world is up with that piano? We don’t get any explanation of its origin, purpose, link to the story (other than needing more keys?), nada. We just know it’s glued shut but plays perfectly anyway.

    Second, since I don’t play piano I don’t know if it would be immediately obvious to a proficient pianist, but how could she tell right away from a picture that it was the same piano, only it had less keys? That’s like spidey senses to me.

    Why is the old man running around killing people for the piano? Is the piano evil itself, or just the old man? Couldn’t the main character fight the old man off? I mean, he’s OLD. If he’s only human, even with a weapon, I would say she had a shot.

    Overall, it wasn’t hitting the creepy or scary factor for me. Nothing happened to the main character before or after owning the piano except being stalked by that old fart. 5/10

  12. I was interested at first, but my interest was lost when you mentioned the Bachelorette. I want to forget that show exists

    Plot. Haunted Possession. Possession: Piano. Thrown in at the end is a bit of humans being used as materials. Quite an interesting take on this idea, I’ve never seen a creepypasta that had a piano made of out of people.

    Writing Style. You wrote this in a first person perspective recalling past events, but judging by the ending, our protagonist here was killed and made to be the new component of the piano. Never write in first person if the protagonist dies, unless they are somehow still “here” as maybe a ghost or something. Really throws off readers.

    Ending. So I’m guessing since it felt like it was made of ivory, the keys are made of bones, and mentioning that the “leather” seat was always warm, it was made of human flesh/skin. Didn’t expect that plot twist, but I felt like this story needed to be a bit longer so they twist would have more of an impact. Didn’t really do much for me

    4/10. I just didn’t feel like there was enough here to really make it creepy

  13. Too many things stuck out at me that didn’t seem plausible. She had a piano shipped to her house, but she could have easily bought one in her own country. I get that it was beautiful and not something that could be duplicated, but it also couldn’t be tuned. After a trip across the sea, it would need a tune, badly.

    Also, Creepy Dude barely figured in the story. He didn’t strike me as very frightening. I get it, the piano moved around a lot because it claimed the souls of its players or whatever, but the “…and you’re number fill-in-the-blank” has been done before, and better.

    That’s not saying you can’t write. But this could have been better. 5/10

    1. But, the piano was free? Did you miss that part? Buying a piano would be waaay more than paying for just shipping.

      1. I’m aware that pianos are expensive and that this one was free. Before leaving my other comment, I researched how much it would cost to ship a piano. It’s not cheap.

        I get it’s some kind of demon piano, but if the protagonist is even slightly serious about playing the piano, it’s not believable that she’d buy one that couldn’t be tuned. And having it shipped (whether across land or sea) would knock it right out of tune. So why’d she buy it in the first place.

        I’m sorry, but this just wasn’t believable.

      2. People often give away pianos for free, even very well made and desirable pianos. I have a friend who is a music teacher and he was given several very nice pianos for free. The catch is that the new owner needs to pay the piano mover, the cost of which is vastly underestimated by many people, including the author of this story.Even a trip across town costs hundreds of dollars.

        So, to move a piano from Europe? Not happening. It is probably much cheaper to buy one local, and better still to just find a free one close by.

  14. So, this piano creates the key out of the person using it, and protagonist would be the 87th key. Now piano needs just one more key.
    Good and different idea but, i wasn’t scared even a bit!! *scratching my head* I might have interpreted it wrong..
    Coming to the plot,
    • From the ‘overwhelming stacks of books’ Diana is able to choose the book having the photograph (nearly impossible) of a young girl sitting on the very piano, and the photo is clicked at such an angle that he is able to count the keys (super lucky!).
    • Peter was overreacting. Either you were trying to remove Peter from the plot or you were showing his uneasiness, it was hard to extract any certain meaning out of it.
    • Suspicious representation of both the man (suddenly at book store and at the hallway) fails to create any definite meaning or creepiness.
    • Want to remind you that bench was cold at book store too. Need not say ‘ever’.
    • So, the ‘evil’ was also waiting for Diana’s message, and then it tells him of being 87th (i wonder why? ).
    • You should have cleared a bit more about the old man and his relationship with the piano.

    Finally, I have told all, with the intention of helping you create something more great, I apologize for any misinterpretations. Keep writing!! 6.5/10

    Btw, i am half expecting someone here to comment:- THEN WHO WAS PIANO?…lol

    1. The photograph could have been slipped into the book by the cashier… The woman at the shop could be working with the man. Idk it never really explains these things

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top