Advertisement
Please wait...

The Lighthouse



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

There is a small island in the Mediterranean Sea that does not appear on any map. It cannot be seen from any other island, nor can any other land be seen from it. On this island is a lighthouse, rotting from age and sea water, that is never lit. There is nothing inside it, save for a spiraling staircase that leads to the top, and an ancient, dusty bookcase.

The case is filled with unmarked books, bound in ancient leather, save for a single space. If you remove a book from the shelf, it will fling itself open in your hands, and the words inscribed in it shall start screaming to the air. You must wrestle the book closed and shove it back on the shelf, or the immortal evil contained within its pages shall break free, and you will be forced to take its place, with pages, ink and binding crafted from your own flesh and blood.

However, if you bring the correct book to the island, and place it in the empty space, the lighthouse will light. As long as it is lit, the world shall enjoy an unending paradise, for all the evil in the world will be contained in the lighthouse. And while it is lit, nothing can go in or out.

Advertisements
Advertisements

The only problem; you will be trapped for eternity with all the evil ever known or conceived, by man or god. And the only way to escape is to douse the light.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

56 thoughts on “The Lighthouse”

  1. Really good story not the classic shiver down the spine creepypasta but a great story. I’m in need of some island inspiration and this is a great story for that.

  2. Wow interesting. At first I thought you stole it from Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, but wow that was a really cool concept and and the ending makes you think. Suffer and help all of the world, or let everyone suffer to stay sane.

  3. hmm…the sacrifice of one’s self to bring a paradise to all others seems like a price not much people will be willing to pay…however I see that there are a lot here who claim they would
    The question you should ask yourselves is this:
    Will you sacrifice yourself for peace or just to become a hero?

  4. I enjoyed it immensely.

    It put me in mind of ‘The Light at the End of the World’ by My Dying Bride. Different rationale, different basis, but nearly identical situation.

  5. Lighthouse is real version of the Restricted Section of Hogwarts?

    …Holy crap. I thought that book was just there for shits and giggles.

  6. We could use a remote controlled drone to put it in…
    Or better yet, why not have the person who did it kill themselves?

  7. Heh. Too serious and unbeliavable for my tastes. How about this?
    The lighthouse has all these books and in each book is a riddle. If you come up with the answer you can ask the lighthouse anything. When you finish asking your one question, you must put the book into the lamp in the center of the room. The book will spontaneously combust and its’ light will burn the answer into the wall. You can do this as many times as you wish, but if you cannot answer the riddle, you will become one of the books. Better think of a good riddle for the next soul to visit this island.
    Meh, I don’t like overly epic creepy stories. All the worlds evil, really?

  8. honestly..id do it..id always take the path of greatest peril to save some one else..plus its like..everyone will be happy..heck maybe even me

  9. well that was morbid!

    how am i to know the correct book?!
    and i probably wouldn’t do it.

    if i was just being locked for all eternity without dying maybe…but with all the worlds badness?! no sirry!

  10. Ah. Really does make ya curious if anyone actually has the guts to do something of the sort. Hard to tell with humans these days.

  11. shortys roc my sox

    hey guys tell me if yall like this one

    The song of souls

    Have you ever noticed that when you accidently push the wrong peddle on the piano and you play a song slowly, it sound like every key you push speaks a word? For every note you play a different word is spoken. There is a song that was never officially produced that plays every single key on the piano in a certain order. The words you hear coming from the song will be cries of help someone begging you to set “them” free, by the end of the song your body will be taken completely over by a trapped soul. you will be trapped in darkness forever unless someone else plays the song… :)

  12. This is definitely my favorite of these. Just something about whether or not someone would have the gall to make this sacrifice is very appealing, from an artistic perspective.

  13. shortys roc my sox

    @ anonymous

    most of the people i know aren’t as smart as you they wouldn’t ever know to take it out and leave if there was a big neon sighn telling them how to get out of there

  14. shortys roc my sox

    become friends with someone you hate that is always braging bout how there not scared of any thing and dare them to go in there and put the book in the place the person you hate is now gone and you and every one else in the world gets to live in peace

  15. Yeah, but you’d have to be out before the book got put in. As such, you’d probably have much more luck using a robotic-manipulator. Just saying…

  16. Easy to do –

    Take some mass murderer and throw him in there with his arms and legs cut off. Then put the book back in. He can enjoy his punishment, we can be happy.

    Yayyyyy…

  17. I don’t know the limits of my own sanity, but given I don’t lose it, I would definitely make that sacrifice.

    Besides, even five minutes of an evil-less paradise of a world would do everyone good.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top