Advertisement
Please wait...

The Island of the Dolls – Mexico‘s Creepiest Place for Brave Explorers



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

You’ve probably already heard about Annabelle, the queen of the evil dolls. But all horror enthusiasts know that the plot of all three movies is fictional and haunted dolls don’t exist. But what if I told you there’s an isolated island where thousands of disfigured dolls hang up on the trees?

The Island of the Dolls is a small island, located in the canals of Xochimilco, just south of Mexico City. The thing that makes the atmosphere even scarier is the fact that no one lives on this island. 

Let’s explore the eerie history of the island and find out why it has become an attractive destination for horror enthusiasts around the world.

Advertisements

History of the Island of the Dolls

One of the world’s strangest and most haunting tourist attractions, the “Island of the Dolls” (La Isla de las Munecas), is located south of the Mexican capital. However, this island is far from the lively streets and vibrant colors of the city, gambling venues, and luxurious casinos — what tourists usually find the most attractive about Mexico City. Sometimes tourists even say that the only thing that can help you reduce stress on this remote island surrounded by creepy figures is the opportunity to play at the online casino Betiton. Other than this, there’s nothing you can find to help yourself, only eerie silence.

The story of the Island of the Dolls is related to Don Julian Santana Barrera’s name. This man was the caretaker of the island and dedicated his life to the memory of a young girl he found drowned in the nearby canals. His decision changed the existence of both Santana Barrera and the island forever.

Don Julian knew that he was the only inhabitant of the island. However, after the incident, he started hearing the screams of a dead girl who was looking for her doll. As the legend says, this was the reason why he decided to hang the doll that he found on a tree. The only thing he wanted was to give peace to the girl’s soul and, thus, get rid of the evil spirits. 

Local Legends and Paranormal Encounters

In Mexico, people claim that the dead dolls of the island come to life at night. As they say, the spirits of the dead in them wake up, whisper to each other, and move their heads and limbs aimlessly. As a result, researchers of paranormal activities decided to spend the night there to solve the mystery of the island. Believe it or not, even they admitted that there were supernatural sounds all night long and the paranormal events did not stop until morning.

The locals believe that anyone who sets foot on this island must sacrifice a doll to the spirits if they wish to avoid the same fate that the dead girl and Don Julian Santana Berra shared.

Advertisements

Death of a Doll Collector

Barrera’s story became famous in 2001 after his nephew visited the Island of the Dolls to help his uncle. As he recalls, his uncle claimed to hear unusual sounds coming from the water that were urging him to die.

Advertisements

Unfortunately, soon Barrera was actually found dead in the canal, in the same place where the dead girl’s body was found. 

Of course, the inhabitants of Mexico did not miss this terrible coincidence. After the death of the only inhabitant of the island, they began to bring dolls to the forest in order to express both their fear and concern for the paranormal events that gave the whole island some unspeakable dread — something they could never explain rationally. Who knows, maybe it was even their sacrifice to avoid the fate that befell Don Julian Santana Barrera.

Advertisements

Bottom Line

The Island of the Dead Dolls was opened to the public in 2001 by Barrera’s family after his death. Consequently, tourists can now explore three huts with hundreds of dreadful dolls and a small museum with local newspaper articles. 

In the one-room hut where Barrera slept before his death, his beloved doll, Agustina, is on display. There, you can also catch a glimpse of the doll that Barrera found in the canal after finding the girl’s dead body.

If you think you are brave enough to experience the island of dolls for yourself, you can get there by gondola-like boats. But be careful, before you reach the island — don’t become a victim of the same channel that put an end to the little girl and the man who fed her soul with dolls.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top