Advertisement
Please wait...

The Enigma



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

Do you hear it? That near silent thump, thump, thump that can be heard when all else is quiet? No? Listen, strain your ears for the slightest sound. Do you hear it now? That is the heart beating in the chest of the Warden. He watches, always he watches, looking for that one moment of weakness, waiting to strike. Do you hear it yet? Don’t turn around. If he sees your face he’ll know your fear. Then he will strike.

Before I go any further you must know something; the Warden does not exist. The mind is a very curious thing you see. Two fears grew in your mind just now; the fear of hearing the thumping, and the fear of not hearing it, even though it is there. So in order to protect yourself you heard something that was not there. What power the mind possesses, that it can create sounds! But it is more than that. There is a darkness in the mind of every human being. It lies trapped in the darkest depth of our souls. For the most part the darkness sits, reaching out into your mind, spreading its influence. You have probably heard it, edging you on, telling you to steal, to hurt, to kill. But more then anything else this darkness, this evil, seeks a shape. And while your brain, fearing the existence of monsters and demons you read about, begins to create them. From that creation the darkness takes its form.

Listen, do you hear that? The thumping is back. The darkness has found its shape. Maybe you will be lucky. Maybe all you hear is sound. But if the darkness has escaped then you will be dead before you even reach your light switch.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

Credit To: The Watcher

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

24 thoughts on “The Enigma”

  1. I read something like this on here before it was called “Them” oh and about the not turning around part? That would be hard because behind what I’m resting on is a wall. Yeah…no.

  2. it was alright, but i feel like it played too much off of what you assume the reader is doing. for instance, i’m reading in broad daylight, back against the wall, listening to music. therefore, the silence, turning around, and darkness don’t apply, and i’m not scared.

  3. I thought it was pretty good. Just enough to make you think, and that thought process can last so much longer than it takes to read the story. The author planted an idea and didn’t throw in too much to cloud the natural progression of it. Just because there aren’t any gruesome murders, it isn’t de-fanged. In my opinion, 10/10

  4. SpookySpaghetti

    Yawn. That first paragraph really should be in the middle of an actual story, once a scary setting and mood has been established.

    Not even pasta, this is just bread.

  5. FIRST ok now that that is out of the way. i read one kind of like this but instead it said “the monsters in your mind dont exist unless you belive in them” so anyway 6.5/10

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top