Advertisement
Please wait...

The Disappearance Of David Lang



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

David Lang’s two children, George, 8, and Sarah, 11, were playing in the yard when Lang and his wife came out of the vine-covered brick house. He spoke to the children and then started walking out across the pasture. At this time, Judge August Peck, and Lang’s brother-in-law came driving up the lane in a buggy. The judge saw Lang in the field and was about to call out to him when it happened.

Lang vanished from the face of the earth.

One minute he was standing in an open field with no trees, stones, or fences. The next, he was simply gone. Lang’s wife and the two men immediately ran to the spot to check that he might have fallen through a hole in the ground. There was no such hole. Mrs. Lang went hysterical and was taken into the house. Neighbors were called out to help, scores of people searched the field, but to no avail. A surveyor and geologist examined the field and found limestone bedrock a few feet underground without a single fracture in it. For a month the search carried on. All the Lang servants quit in fear. A year later, the grass where Lang was standing had grown high and thick in a circle 20′ in diameter. No farm animal would graze there, and it seemed free of insects.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

One day in August, 1881, Sarah and George approached the green circle and called out “Father, are you anywhere around?” They repeated the question 4 times. Hearing no answer, they began to walk away…when they heard a faint cry for help from out of nowhere. Quickly, the children ran to get their mother and pulled her outside. They called to their father again. And he answered. For several days, the family returned, and each day when they called, the answering voice became fainter, until finally there was no response at all.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

33 thoughts on “The Disappearance Of David Lang”

  1. Actually he had a secret family. He had made a special tunnel – not unlike batmans. One day as they were all distracted by the buggy coming up the hill, he jumped down the hole to his secret family (who he of course loved a lot more) and lived happilu ever after. One day in his house he heard someone shouting “father” thinking it was one of his “secret” kids he responded… A few days of responding to the shouts anf his “secret” kids looking puzzled… He filled in the tunnel with limestone bedrock and poured animal repelant on the grass to stop it from being disturbed. Mystry solved.

  2. Oh God. I almost dropped my laptop when I read the name “David Lang”. That’s my father’s name.

    Coincidences aside, not a bad story, but more tragic than sad. It reminded me of the sort of thing Edward Gorey would write. I don’t get why people are complaining about the end not being explained, I think it’s better that way.

  3. The obvious thing to do if your father called to you from a circle of tall grass would be to push through or cut the grass…

    Then again, Gary couldn’t cut the vines in Ib so what the heck.

  4. Holy shit this pasta fits one i wrote not too long ago to the smallest detail, and it was upload two years afterwards

  5. sad story, first he vanishes from the face of the earth, and then you hear him calling for help without any means of how to help him :(

  6. I recently read this story in a old book I got from my psychology teacher called “Stranger than Science” by:Frank Edwards.

  7. Wow, people really need everything to be spelled out for them. Guys, just use your imagination, it’s left like that for a reason!

    Quickly, the children ran to get their mother and pulled her outside. They called to their father again. And he answered.
    “Help! I got sucked into the ground and then this grass grew over me!”

    That wouldn’t be very fun, now would it? :/

  8. but this didnt round up! i mean- wt happened???????? did he disappear and where was he?
    if i dnt undastand summat it really annoys me. :(

  9. This sounds like it was repeated from memory, and poorly so. It seems to be missing one or two key elements.

  10. Royal-Sovereign

    …yeah, they actually proved this was an utter fabrication, a totally made-up story.

    I remember reading it as a kid, though, and it really weirded me out…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top