Advertisement
Please wait...

The Cold Man



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

I moved to London in 2011.
The reason for my move to London is very simple, but holds a legend so shocking that I’m not even sure of its truth: only its impact.
Up until three years ago, I lived in the town of Wickford, Essex. For those of you who are not well-versed in the geography of south-east England, Wickford is, by definition, a shit hole. Made up of a high-street with nothing bigger than a small WH Smiths, a Co-operative, and a 99p Store. It is a boring and scuzzy place, an urban cesspit.
I didn’t leave because of these factors.
Running through Wickford is the River Crouch. Whilst parts of the Crouch in Wickford are slightly nice-looking, the town centre’s section of the Crouch is banked by concrete, a provision put into place following two floods back in the late 1950s. The result of this is a complex, and very ugly, tunnel system, interlocking with the sewers.
Now that I have provided sufficient context for the, perhaps true, myth, I will begin.
*
In 1979, a pupil at a local secondary school (the name of which I genuinely don’t know, adding to the idea that this legend is make belief) was feared. His name was Jack Kayden, and whilst a popular womanizer, his mean streak bordered on sadism. He relished in putting his other peers in pain, so much so that he made your average playground bully seem generous. Kayden’s good looks were unmatched, even though his grin was apparently wolf-like and deeply unsettling. On a fateful, stormy night in the middle of winter 1979, a group of the more commonly targeted of Kayden’s antics felt that they had finally taken enough grief from him. They attacked him as he strolled down London Road. The group of six boys and two girls bagged him. They lugged the powerless Kayden to underneath the London Road bridge, and to the partially-concealed concrete Crouch bank.
I’m not totally sure what those eight people precisely did to Kayden, but I do know that his face was mutilated to the point that he was unrecognizable. They then left him for dead. His body, however, was never found, and the police ceased their search for him three years later.
*
In 1986, one of the girls was found naked at the same place that Kayden had been mutilated. Her neck had been snapped, and her entrails were littered on the concrete of the bank. Pinned to her forehead was a note.
“Cold.”
The police struggled to find a motive. The unmarried girl had just given birth to a daughter, but the confrontational father, who was not in a relationship with the girl any more, had an alibi. Unable to find a convincing perpetrator, the case went unsolved. Six months later, a young sewage maintenance officer was discovered by a co-worker. There were clear signs of a struggle: he had been grabbed from behind and drowned in the water. Again, he was one of those who had attacked Kayden.
*
For a time just prior to my move to London, I attempted to research these murders. Unfortunately, the records for Wickford’s local newspaper, the Weekly Echo, only exist from 1968-74, and then from 1995 onwards.
The atmosphere that the supposed murders left was toxic, and that was evidence enough for me to want to leave.
I did find one article that worked as a kind of evidence. From June 1999 was the report of a twelve year old girl’s disappearance near the River Crouch. The author mentioned in passing that the girl’s mother had died “in 1986, under similar circumstances to [the girl’s] disappearance”. I still wander today if this means that Kayden was also after the children of his original victims.
*
A further four of the boys that had played a part in the attack on Kayden were gruesomely murdered in the late 1980s. Because I am unsure of these four men’s names, I will refer to them as B1, B2, B3 and B4. B1’s decapitated body was left on the road, and his head just under a sewer grate. B2 was stabbed to death, with the word “cold” carved into his forehead. B3 and B4 were found sewn together, and had clearly starved to death, stuck in the middle of a sewage pipe, clogging the waste.
The girl that had not been killed back in ’86 was abducted in March 1991, aged around 27. She was childless, just as all of the other victims had been (bar the first girl). This girl was never murdered. Instead, she was sighted at the High Street three months after she was taken, with a blank expression. She jumped in front of a car.
There was now only one of Jack Kayden’s attackers left alive. This boy, now a man, became a father in April 1992. I am his son.
*
Allow me to clarify a few details here. I am now 22 years old. I was 19 when I left Wickford. The fact that the first girl’s daughter was killed by Kayden haunts me to the core. After all, my dad was himself killed and skinned by Jack Kayden in 1994. My mother hesitantly told me the story in 2008, after which I went on my researching spree. As I asked around and filled in holes in the story, I likewise talked to people who claimed that my father had died in a car accident, or drowned. I have absolutely no idea why these people would want to actively protect Kayden. Maybe they were in denial.
One night in 2010, I simply sat down and thought about incidents in my life that I had no explanation for. The more that I looked back through my memories, the more that I believed in the legend of Jack Kayden. I noted that when I started at the Bromfords senior school in the Grange area of Wickford, my mother had specifically ordered me to take a longer route than the more convenient London Road way. Obviously, she was worried for my safety that close to Kayden’s lair. I remembered an afternoon in the summer holidays, when I was around eight years old. An ugly, bald man that I had assumed to be wearing a very realistic Halloween mask walked up to me as I rode my bike up and down my street. He asked me if I wanted to meet my dad. I told the man that my father was dead, to which he pulled a very sinister expression – strangely visible through the mask, I had thought – and remarked,
“I know.”
I was totally creeped out, and biked home faster than ever before.
*
So why did I abruptly drop everything and make the move in 2011?
My mother died of cancer in late-2010. I inherited her house. This heightened my sense of fear day-to-day.
Every time I heard the wind, I jumped. Every time I saw my reflection, my heart skipped a beat.
In November 2011, more than three decades after Kayden’s mutilation, I failed to sleep on a stormy night. I kept hearing noises around the house, but whenever I went to investigate, I found no intruder. I was driven so sick by this, that I packed up a small bag, and caught the train to London Liverpool Street station, to stay with my mother’s family there (they had previously offered to host me routinely since my mother’s death).
I have never gone back to Wickford.
Instead, I asked my friends to collect my possessions into a moving van, and I instructed real estate agents to put my house on the market.
Like I said before, the reason for my move to London is simple, but holds a very shocking legend.
The reason that I moved to London is that the police called me on my first afternoon at my aunt and uncle’s house. They informed me that there had been a break-in at my Wickford residence, but that nothing had been taken. Instead, one word had been scrawled on walls all over the house.
“Cold”.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

29 thoughts on “The Cold Man”

  1. Glad that this creepy pasta doesn’t relate to me. Most creepypastas I’ve been reading recently have had something to do with my situation.

  2. It doesn’t shock me that a lot of people are asking for a sequel – I came into the comments sections to suggest this very thing. But I’m trying not to think of how much time it would take for submissions to open, you writing a continuity, posting it, it being read and processed, queued and finally posted. But I still do want to read what happens next, why the word ‘cold’ is written all over, for how long the character will go around before finally facing the culprit. I’d expect also a bulk of creepy physical description… Which reminds me, I liked the part where he thought the guy had a mask. Subtle reference to Kayden’s mutilations. I think I’ve said enough xD

  3. Struggled with this.
    1 – Why the cold reference sometimes, but not all the times?
    2 – Face disfigured, but body never found? Knew this much but didn’t know the names of the other attackers?
    3 – Think it’s a myth, but your own dad involved?
    4 – “There was now only 1 of the attackers left alive” feels like now now, not back in ’91 now. “There was then only 1 of the attackers left alive” feels better IMO.
    The perspective is believable and it’s reasonably written. Just the above points left me scratching my head too often and pulled me out of the story.

  4. When it comes to the story, I enjoyed it. The narration was honest and descriptive, but not TOO descriptive. It gave it the “real guy telling us a story” feel.
    I do have on critique. In the beginning, it feels like you are trying too hard to direct us away from him being directly involved. I understand there are pieces he wouldn’t know, given his dad never told him. But, you kept stressing “make believe” and “myth.”
    Other than that, great story.

  5. Your worst nightmare

    this was pretty good. there’s just one thing that bugs me. in the paragraph when it first starts talking about kayden, it says that he doesnt know the pupils name, but in the next sentence, it tells the reader the pupils name. i dont know if i read it wrong, or anything, but that annoys the crap outa me. other than that, it was pretty good. i giv it a 9 and a half outa 10.

  6. I loved this, I just don’t get why you’re questioning it’s truth–because you don’t want to? If the guy was your father you know it was real

  7. This was a very nice and fast paced story. I hadn’t picked up on any errors but it seemed like the story was too fast and ended before anything much was resolved. However, that’s my only discrepancy. 9/10.

  8. Will there be a sequel? I’m not too creeped out considering this was more like a fable with a gruesome lesson. There wasn’t really a reason besides revenge. Does that make sense? Good story, though. I can appreciate the effort behind this.

  9. tasteepasta❤ er

    Can we have a part two? Maybe find out why the “cold” on everything? This feels undercooked to me

    1. Agreed! Why “cold”? It was never mentioned in the back story. Is he cold physically, now? Was it because he was a cold person? Was his death cold?

      1. Unless you die burning or cooking, heh, I’d say death is cold since your body goes down to room-temperature.

        1. Quite the jump. Maybe instead of “cold” go with something that has to do with his death. Something relating to his face being mangled? A connection is needed.

  10. secret_blossom78

    This story really wants myself to believe that it is true. Definitely creepy, my heart beats fast as if i’m watching a horror movie. Oh my gosh, 10/10 for this totally creepy story.

  11. Darn it , that was good! I mean, usually I’m not into the ‘revenge’ thing, but this is done well. At least he made the logical decision to GET THE HECK AWAY FROM THERE. A bit gruesome, but & don’t mind a little gore. In fact, I embrace it!

  12. After reading the part about how Kayden was targeting his murders and their children, my brain immediately connected Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th to it. After that, I couldn’t continue. Sorry I have no constructive comment, just a reader’s personal opinion. What I did read wasn’t too bad though

  13. I actually enjoyed this story a lot. I liked it because it wasn’t like the usual stuff on this site and also, it didn’t have a super generic and predictable ending! :)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top