Advertisement
Please wait...

Safe



Estimated reading time — 6 minutes

My mother loved me.

From my first memory she was always there, pulling me out of harm’s way. I was a curious child, and was constantly reaching for the hot stove or wandering outside unsupervised.

Sometimes the harm she protected me from was my own father. Everything I said and did seemed to irritate him and any loud noise or even a single word he perceived as disrespectful could earn a back hand across the face, or a swift kick in the back to send you flying down the steps. I clung to her tightly in those years, as she was the only constant, never angry or impatient with me, but full of love and hope. She stood in between his hand and my fragile body, and I’m ashamed to say that I ran and hid more than once, as he took his anger out on my dear mother.

Advertisements

My grandparents lived across town and were anxious for me to get of an age where I could spend the weekend or the summer. Most little boys would be excited about a weekend at his grandparents, but I feared the time when I would be forced to endure the hard back breaking summers my older cousins had seen.

The grandparents thought that hard labor was the only way a boy would grow into a strong man. As they had a large farm to tend to, they made use of their grandsons by “raising “them for the better part of their childhood, usually starting around 5 or 6, depending on the constitution of the boy. My cousins slept in the leaky barn out back, and existed on whatever scraps were thrown out at the end of the day. By the end of the summer they permeated an odor that may never wash off, an odor of sadness and pain. My female cousins lived inside the house, and would never speak of the horrors they endured. Women weren’t valued much in my family, except for one thing.

When I was barely five my mother woke me up in the middle of the night, covering her hand across my mouth and signaling for me to keep quiet. Her bruised face was wet from tears, and her hand shook as she silently begged me not to do anything to attract the attention of my sleeping father. Without a sound we snuck out of the house, taking only my stuffed teddy bear, leaving behind everything I had ever known.

My mother and I kept to the back roads as we made our journey across several states, to the house on the river where her brother lived. Her brother made his living as a teacher at the small schoolhouse in town, and was a widow with no children of his own. By the time we arrived at his door we were weak from hunger and exhaustion. My mother hadn’t stopped to sleep the whole way, too afraid that my father or his family would catch up with her unaware. My uncle hadn’t always lived here, had arrived here only a few short months before, and as my mother had not been permitted to keep contact with her family, she knew of his location only by the chance meeting of a distant relative while selling some items in town.

Even at my young age, I was able to understand that this meant we were safe. They couldn’t find us here! Suddenly my world didn’t look so bleak and depressing. I would no longer suffer my father’s wrath for playing too loudly in the backyard, or getting up to get a drink of water after I was supposed to be asleep. I suppose that given my history I should have been wary of this new man, but he exuded a calm demeanor, and my natural instincts told me that he would never hurt me.

For two years my mother and I lived in peace in my uncle’s house by the river. My mother started working at a small shop in town, and I went to school with my uncle. At night we would eat dinner in the small kitchen and talk about our day. I spent my summers down by the river, fishing or watching the grass grow. I developed a fast friendship with a boy down the road, and we never spent a weekend apart, riding bikes and playing in the woods. It was a sweet time, the best of my childhood memories.

Advertisements

But nothing good lasts forever. My mother took ill in the winter I was 7. I was looking forward to Christmas and the break from school, and sleepovers and late night marshmallow roasting. But then my mother was sick and everyone got very sad. It seemed only a week passed where she went from happy and rosy to pale and withdrawn in her bed. On the morning of the parade in town I begged her to take me. My young mind didn’t understand real sickness, I had recovered nicely from the years spent with my father, and was now blessed once again with the innocence and selfishness of youth.

Mother pulled herself together and off we went. She held my hand and bought me caramel popcorn at the stand. We laughed and giggled for a few minutes she appeared healthy and whole again.

Then she fell. Right there at the parade in front of everyone my sweet wonderful mother who always protected me fell to the pavement, and I only stared in confusion.

My mother was rushed to the hospital in the next town, and I squeezed into a corner and cried silently. When the nurses came to me and asked me who my father was, what possessed me to utter his name? Why wouldn’t I say the name of my quiet uncle, at home at his house on the river? Shock, perhaps and confusion. I didn’t understand that they were asking WHO TO CALL, no I answered honestly and off they went.

Advertisements

The nurse pulled me into my mother’s room and quietly told me my father and my grandparents were both on the way to claim me, my father to comfort me and my grandparents to take me back to their farm to stay. “What a lucky boy you are, to have so many people who love you. You’ll be just fine. But now you should stay with your mother for a few minutes, and say your goodbyes, they will be here shortly.”

Inside I screamed in terror, wanting to run and hide, get away, get away from the miseries that were soon to come. But I couldn’t leave my mother; I couldn’t leave without saying goodbye.

As I held my mother‘s hand a let a silent tear fall, she opened her eyes. She smiled so sweetly at me and said two words before she passed from this world. “You’re safe.”

My mother passed at the stroke of midnight December 18, the year I was 7. I curled up next to her body and didn’t wake when my uncle scooped me in his arms and carried me home. I didn’t know that day what had happened to the two different cars traveling towards me in the night, to take me away to a terrible place. But I knew I was safe, because my mother had told me so.

I grew up in that house by the river with my sweet sweet uncle. When I was 10 he met a nice lady from town, and they married and had two children of their own. I was raised as another son, and I was always loved and cared for. Although my new aunt could never replace my darling mother, she took care of me throughout my childhood, and never was a word spoken in anger. Never did I sleep in the barn or live on scraps. Never did I have to duck to avoid the fist coming at me in the dark.

Advertisements

My first year in college, I became curious about what had happened to change the events that were unfolding in my life on that awful night. I did some research and this is what I learned:

At midnight, on December 18, the year I was 7, my father was traveling from one place in his old blue pickup. He had been working out of town when he received the message that his only son had been found. The pickup was old and in disrepair, still it was a surprise that at the stroke of midnight his truck suddenly swerved into the path of an oncoming semi, killing him instantly. The driver of the semi walked away with barely a scratch.

At midnight, on December 18, the year I was 7, my grandparents were traveling from their farm across town in their new car, purchased in the last year with proceeds from the farm, and apparently the prostitution of several of their own granddaughters. They were at home when they received word that their grand son had been found. The car was new and not the cheapest model, therefore it was a mystery why at the stroke of midnight the car suddenly pulled to the right while on a mountain road, causing the car to go through the weak fence, and down into the ravine. My grandparents were killed instantly.

There were investigations, even into my sweet calm uncle, as it was found to be a little odd that both of these events should happen at the exact time my mother passed from this world. My uncle never worried me with it, and the investigators finally gave up, as no one could ever prove how it happened.

I know how it happened. My mother told me when she uttered those two words. “You’re safe.”

Credit: RACHEL CHENEL

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

33 thoughts on “Safe”

  1. The story was deeply heartfelt. The writing is short yet clean and concise, and the karma kind of thing left its mark on my head. Although this could have been fleshed out a bit.

  2. Thank you for your comments and critiques! This was my first submission to creepy pasta. Hope to get started on something new soon!

  3. Thanks :) I’m a mother too and I can promise you if I was the mom in this story I too would shove right past St. Peter I go straight to the control room and make some magic happen for my kid.

    People who are getting all up in arms about this need to remember, first and foremost, that it’s freakin’ fiction lol

  4. Damn….I miss my mom suddenly. She’s alive and well but it’s been 2 years since I’ve been home. Skype and Viber isn’t enough. Miss her bad.

  5. Stephenie Lindsey

    It was amazing 10/10 but I got confused.. Did his parents and grandparents die when he was 7 and then the ghosts raised him or did they die when he was older?

  6. ChargedCapacitor wdasddsaf

    Brilliant story, although why wasn’t mother treated before she became seriously ill? Also, why was the mother supposedly the hero, in spite of her murdering the child’s father and his grandparents, and probably also giving another person severe PTSD. I mean, that doesn’t exactly sound like the work of heroic mother to me.

    1. ?? The father and grandparents were horrible people, if she had not made that happen he would have to live in a barn living off scraps rather than at his loving uncle’s home.

  7. I had a real life situation similar to this. My family was evicted from our house, and our landlord had hired our methhead neighbors to throw football-sized rocks through our windows. We barely made it out uninjured. Over the next two years, the landlord and all of the adults in our neighbor’s family died in unrelated car crashes.

  8. 10/10! A story doesn’t have to be over-the-top creepy or gory in order to give someone goosebumps. The intrigue is enough for me! If I were to think of ways you could have increased the creepy factor they would have just taken away from the beauty of the story (added details on his dad’s abuse/the sexual abuse of the granddaughters/the deaths of his father and grandparents/etc). It would have been unnecessary and come across as if you were trying too hard. Good work.

  9. Pretty good. Not very creepy, more depressing, but still good. I saw a few grammar mistakes. Plot was good though. Btw, if the uncle no longer had a wife, he’s a widower, not a widow. I was super intrigued in this story though, 7/10

  10. Nicola Marie Jackson

    I gave it ten because I found the abuse creepy especially of the young girls. I actually had tears but that’s because I’m a big wuss.

  11. My heart broke when his father was on his way to come get him. I loved how you turned everything around. Beautiful story.

  12. This is well-written and very interesting. Halfway through, after the mother died and the kid is described growing up, I felt like it was going a bit off-track, and I also don’t like that we’re left in the dark as to what exactly happened, but it’s a good enough ending to tie it all together and make it seem complete.

    There’s also the matter of the entire family on his father’s side being abusive, which I found a bit odd. I can understand the boy’s father and grandfather to be alike, but the cousins had to suffer the same fate. It seems overly black-and-white, although I see how it fits into the story better this way.

    Altogether, it was a good read, although not particularly creepy. It may be possible to invest a little more into making those unsettling moments stand out, because as it is now, they’re lost in the rest of the story.

    For me, it’s a 7/10, but very close to an 8. Keep up the good work.

  13. The story itself is good, and well written. The biggest challenge for me was visualizing. I had a tough time seeing the narrator or visualizing the events as they unfold. Honestly, I’m not certain how that may be workable (would have been a challenge), however, it did make it difficult for my personal reading style.

    You can certainly feel the emotion in the story, though, it consistently holds the story together. It gave me goosebumps! Especially when you tell of the fate of the father and grandparents.

    Definitely stick with the angle of exploring emotions. I think if you can really get the emotions across you can make people feel invested and earn their trust, in a way… makes the reader vulnerable. Doing that, I think you effectively amplify the creepy factor.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top