Advertisement
Please wait...

Peripheral Vision



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

Have you ever gotten a glimpse of something out of the corner of your eye? A simple movement caught in your peripheral vision. Most will simply dismiss this as a shadow brought about by a flickering candle, or perhaps a pet jumping down from a piece of furniture. Ninety-nine out of a hundred times, these people are right.

But then there’s that one elusive sight. It can easily be explained by the above conditions, but something feels wrong about it. A chill down your spine, a slight pain in your side. Maybe even a complete blanking of your mind, only to recede moments later.

Should any of these symptoms be felt, there may be cause for worry. Our peripheral vision is designed to catch motion, even in the dark. This was used to defend against predators in our early days, and as with many aspects of our human nature, it has remained, but weakened.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

This view out of the corner of our eyes still alerts us to danger, and although predators have dropped on the list of dangers we may face today, they still exist. Should you ever feel that queer chill in your back, try not to focus on that shadow you saw in the corner of your eye. It might be better not to see.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

30 thoughts on “Peripheral Vision”

  1. The use of ‘queer’ signifying ‘strange’ is so incredibly pretentious that it really ruined the story for me.

  2. Just don’t look in your peripheral vision…there might be a naked rapist in your closet. XD

    This didn’t creep my out at all and it wasn’t very delicious, so I rate this 3/10.

    To those who thought this was a good CreepyPasta, I recommend Brach’s Candy Factory.

    Sincerely,
    Grim Gamer

  3. But why is everyone scared, why is everyone scared of me, of my shadows? They always say I have an extra shadow, that they catch out the corner of their eyes. Why is everyone scared of the shadow that takes me into my room at night? Why?

  4. Diego Parada-Lopez

    All of a sudden an alien with mandibles with ninja double knives appears and kills you!

  5. I must say this is rather good for a micropasta.
    I must also say that the word Queer actually means weird, not a referance to homosexuality.

  6. Umm, I actually have a condition (Thankfully is has lessened over the years) where I halusinate through my periferal vision so I see shapes and shadows of people all the time.

  7. all i have to say is.. if i believed in the shadows, they follow me into my room each night. i try not to believe tho :P

  8. This happened to me the other day.
    I was walking alone on a street with no street lights, listening to my iPod and trying to use the light from the screen to light my way enough so I wasn’t freaked out.
    So the light goes off, and a few seconds later my eye catches something, and I turn around, just to catch the tail end of a moving shadow. May

  9. “Our peripheral vision is designed to catch motion, even in the dark.”

    ESPECIALLY in the dark. We have a larger concentration of light-sensitive cone cells in our peripheral vision than in the centre of our vision. That’s why, in the dark, you can sometimes see more detail or outlines of things when “looking” at things with the corner of your eye rather than the center of the eye which has less light-sensitive cells (and more colour-sensitive cells).

  10. This one is interesting. Gotta wonder what the human psyche at this point considers a ‘predator’ that can still threaten us…

    1. POWER LEVELS!!!

      well… wolves, lions , (any big cat) snakes, and spiders.(we are instinctualy afraid of spiders and large birds)

      1. But why would a big cat needs in our house? I understand if you were in Africa or some jungle where stuff like that would be but….

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top