Advertisement
Please wait...

Object Permanence



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

Lately I have been questioning the reality of things around me.

I can sure identify where it started, and where it came from, but I just can’t get it out. An idea cannot be killed; you may try to not think about it or distract yourself, but it is there, and it will always be there. Now, if you would like to hear a bit about me, just sit tight for a brief prelude. At a young age, I was like any other normal boy, except for one little hindrance. I grew up, attended school, went to college, and graduated, all with good, if not exceptional grades. I swam, participated in clubs, you name it. I used to be a very active and healthy guy. The ’hindrance’ grew with me. The doctors call it myopia, the kids at school call it glasses, I call it bad luck and genetics.

Well, whatever you call it, I was stuck with it, and it stuck with me. It started with a slight blurriness, then became a wall of impassibility. Surgery helped me slightly, but in the long run, just prolonged my fate.

Advertisements

Eventually I had the misfortune of coming down with eye cataracts. The surgery this time was damning. Retinal detachment, occurring when the retina literally detaches itself from the eye, can lead from severe myopia to blindness. In my case, it led to blindness at the age of 18.

Now, blindness meant several things to me. A dark point in my life, both literally and figuratively. I imagined that I was in a hole, a black place where no light shined. I existed there alone, in pure isolation. Sure, they could peer down into the hole and talk from their bright place above me, but they could not see. They could pretend, but they couldn’t comprehend what I was going through. I used to drink heavily and experiment with substances in order to dampen my perception.

When you have that much detachment from the outside world, you begin to think.

Imagine you are in a room. There is a ball in the room. You look at it, and it is red, hard to the touch, and bounces with a satisfying thud. Now if you leave it placed down on the floor, and walk out of the room, facing the opposite direction, you cannot see, hear or touch it anymore.

What evidence do you have that it still exists?

Infants go through this in their lives, due to their pre-developed minds. I am sure we are all familiar with the game of ‘peek-a-boo’? Well, when the child see’s its mother, it is aware it exists, but when the hands come down, where did mother go? She disappeared, and because the baby cannot perceive her, it firmly believes that she does not exist.

Advertisements

Now apply this concept to us. Growing up, our brain develops, and we innately know that an object continues to exist. It is something we learn to accept. However, when you are alone in your room at night, the world outside does not matter. We are secluded in our own little world, and only the immediate area is tangible. Now imagine that the darkness envelopes your entire life. You cannot see what is around you, so what proof do you have that it truly exists? Sure you can touch and hear and smell and taste, but how do you know you are not being manipulated? We have developed technology such as the television, which can create a world that exists in your field of vision. While watching it, our mind becomes absorbed in it, and we zone out from our surroundings. Our subconscious makes us believe that we exist in that world for a time, and when the movie ends, we snap back into reality. We have created a means to manipulate vision, so why is that concept not applicable to our immediate world? Nowadays, every person that I pass may greet me with a hello or brush by me, and while I can feel them and hear them, how do I know they exist? How can I be absolutely sure that every single person and thing around me is living? Has a conscious and a mind like I do?

I used to try making myself feel to cement the outside world. Experiencing pain through sharp tools. However, this never worked out for me. It was just a mere interlude, after which I grasped the full nature of my surroundings.

Advertisements

I believe this thought has taken over my mind. A sort of obsession. Though I doubt I am wrong. I spend my time isolated here in my room. All is quiet. I know that the floor in front of me extends about four feet, and the one behind me 6 or so feet. I know the carpet is soft yet scratchy, smells damp. Possible mold here and there. The air seeping in is cold, and yet I know none of these things. There is no world outside of here. As I move throughout my house, I believe that my surroundings are a mirage. They only exist when I am around them to give them a physical existence.

I feel as if I am in a grand sort of surreal play. The set is created around me as I go through the scenes. The characters appear and disappear, play different roles, but only ones that relate immediately to mine.

I feel as if the universe is trying to keep me occupied. Or maybe I am all that exists. Maybe each and every one that comes to visit me under the premise of hospitality, or the structural safety of my home, or investigation, or for, ‘my own benefit’, is coming to get a spark of life, or a glimpse of living. Of experiencing.

One time I tried communicating with the actors, trying to get a feel of the depth of their minds. You see, I could believe that they exist just like me, however, something in my mind denies it. If a child can be deceived by something as small as hands, then what says that I should not be deceived by this world too? I grew up with ‘people’ around me. Everyone did. They accept this and do not question it. Especially with my once premature mind, what stipulates that I should not be tricked? I recognized this midway through my interrogation with one and left him out in the shed in the backyard. He was too weak to plead, however I doubt he suffered much. I shut the door, walked upstairs and he ended. All was quiet.

Advertisements

Now more of them have come and searched my home. Police, a figment of my imagination that I once respected. I suppose I can not fully dictate the flow of my environment, as they were able to capture me. Take me to another room. Concrete floors.

They allow me to write. However I doubt that my handwriting is much legible anymore. I write this now to whom it may concern in order to help you grasp the truth.

Perhaps there are those of you who are like me. Perhaps nothing exists beyond the exit door. Either way. I am confined here, as I have always been.

Nothing has changed.

Credit To – Dirk

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

17 thoughts on “Object Permanence”

  1. Anonymous #68125

    I have one problem with word choice here.

    “Especially with my once premature mind…”

    Premature usually carries either ambiguous or negative connotations.
    I’d have said precocious.

    Other than that it was a compelling read, if not a little ephemeral and vague.

  2. I found this very entertaining due to the fact it really made me think and you have to pay attention to every single detail written in it to truly understand it. Once you think about the concept it’s a very good read.

  3. is it wierd that i have felt this way even before reading this story? now, i still believe that the world still exists, but you can’t help but wonder…… i’m pretty sure this character has depression, like me

  4. Very intriguing story you have there. I get the whole, “In this world I am exist and everyone else is a figment of my imagination. So when I die, you all die with me and my thoughts.” however, the story, like the other comments state there is a creepy perspective but it all fell short. Jumping from being blind at 18 to going completely crazy is plausible but not likely.

    I do not want this to come off as complaint rather than a compliment. Nevertheless, great story hope to read more. Just build up the background story for a better climax.

  5. Meh it was ok, it was too much like Psychosis (which was an amazing story by the way) but it didn’t have enough if a story built up, everything seemed to happen way to fast or seemed that way

  6. How exactly does a blind man manage to lock someone up in his shed? I find that a little unlikely. I’m also not sure exactly what the time frame is here. He’s blind and suddenly believes nothing is real because he can’t see it? If this is all shortly after he went blind, I feel like his descent into madness happened way too fast. Also, just to point out, if he thinks he’s being fooled by his other senses, being blind really has nothing to do with this concept. What we see could just as easily be manipulated like our other senses. All that said, it’s an interesting idea, but I’m not sure it translates very well into a creepy or scary story.

  7. I enjoyed the concept and story overall. It was an intriguing idea, and the idea of what is “real” is something everyone has thought about. My one objection to this would be the guy in the shed. It was kind of abrupt, a shift from what’s going on in the narrators head to BAM he has hostage in the shed.

  8. I really like the concept, but as said before, it wasn’t too creepy. Still, it was a thinker 7/10.

  9. A creepypasta about Solipsism? I never thought I’d see the day.

    So, just who is it that he’s writing this letter to then?

    1. i think on some level he knows he’s batshit crazy. or having one of the “actors” acknowledge his situation would benefit him.

  10. quite an interesting concept to play with. it didn’t really scare me much, but i won’t say i didn’t find it entertaining. and a little bit disturbing, but hardly. i don’t think i’d crack up so easily in this situation, but it’s hard to say.

  11. FIRST! Wait I hardly get this. Did he go mad with blindness or something? And he killed someone and is now captured by the cops?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top