Advertisement
Please wait...

November 2013 Discussion Post: The Creepypasta/Music Connection



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

This month’s topic was suggested by Predhead. He may not be an official co-admin anymore, but he still lurks and (kinda) loves you guys!

We’ve had posts about creepy video games and movies, and this post is similar – but not entirely. We want to hear about your favorite “creepy” music, but with some specific questions thrown in to the mix:

Advertisements
  1. What do you listen to (if anything) while you read and/or write Creepypastas? Do you have a specific playlist or band that you feel helps to amp up the creepy atmosphere and/or give your creepy creativity a boost? Tell us about it!
  2. Do you have any songs that you consider the “theme song” for a specific Creepypasta or Creepypasta character?
  3. We’ve had a few instances of songs being used as the basis for a pasta (see “The Girl” as an example); can you think of any songs or albums that you think would make for prime inspiration material?
  4. Have you ever produced any Creepypasta-inspired music? I know that some people on YouTube have posted songs that are about certain characters or meant to create a good ambience for reading pastas; if you do this, please feel free to link to your work in the comments!

Have fun, and thanks to anyone who contributes to this month’s topic!

Advertisements
Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

131 thoughts on “November 2013 Discussion Post: The Creepypasta/Music Connection”

  1. There is a question that is frequently asked on forums and boards. This question is phrased in different ways, but always evokes a wide range of interesting answers. Basically, the question is this:

    “What is the creepiest/scariest/most disturbing song that you know?”

    After noticing how often this question came up and how eager others were to answer, I decided to start compiling a playlist of songs that people gave as answers (I frequently screened the songs beforehand to see how adequately they qualified). Originally the playlist was named NOSLEEP after the subreddit and existed on Songza, but it currently exists on Spotify and is called SONGS TO PLAY IN THE DARK.

    http://open.spotify.com/user/deusdiabolus/playlist/0vSzl2EPXHiL2QReeXOgKq

  2. ok, i listen to metal songs when i read creepypastas. Avenged Sevenfold, Seether, Three Days Grace, stuff like that. Theme songs:
    Jeff the Killer- Animal Ive Become or Pain by Three Days Grace
    Jane the Killer- Its never Too Late by Three Days Grace
    Slender Man- World So Cold by Three Days Grace
    Laughing Jack- Circus for the Phsyco by Skillet
    The Rake- Down with the Sickness by Disturbed
    Eyeless Jack- Hero by Skillet
    yeh….some of these songs might not go with them -according to SOME people- but i dont care….i think they do so they obviously do

  3. creepypasta critic

    Hello again.
    I have a few theme songs for some of the more fameous creepypasta creatures. Also, I have a theme song for the pasta where Jeff fought Slender. Here they are:

    Jeff- Kill Everybody by Skrillex

    Slenderman- Come Little Children featured in Hocus Pocus

    Ben- Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

    Pinkamena Diane Pie (as in cupcakes) – INSaNiTY by unknown

    Rainbow Dash (as in Rainbow Factory) – Monster by Skillet

    Jeff vs Slender – Light Em Up by Fall Out Boys

    Offenderman- Bonamana by Super Juinior

    I hope you like my choices of theme songs. Feel free to use them!

  4. and vanes…unnatrual situation…fatal lullaby…dark lullaby prelude to a nightmare…phycopaths anthem…scary halloween piano instrumental…most of the amnesia ost…andshadow symphony…and um… awkward meeting…unnatural situaton and vanes. those three are on one youtube vid called “top ten creepy music” the pic is a little blonde girl looking out a window. not sure who those three song are by so youll have to ask the youtuber yourself.

  5. Umineko, as a horror game certainly has some real creepy music. One of the artists’ goes by zts, and the tracks he wrote can range from gentle piano to some fun techno. Three of his tracks: dead angle, discolor, and lastend give me the goosebumps.

    An artist who also worked on music for this game is named Akiko Shikata. She had an album for the video game’s music. Her vocal version of “golden sneer” is quite haunting, as is the B track for the anime adaptation theme. Not all her music is as scary, but even works not connected to th Umineko can create a dark atmosphere.
    Finally, if you ever need haunted organ music, check out Luck Ganriki and CircleTempo.

  6. Don't ask me that

    Slenderman:Getting Away With Murder by Papa Roach

    Laughing Jack:This is Halloween by Marilyn Manson

    BEN Drowned:Goin’ Down by Three Days Grace

    Eyeless Jack:Psychosocial by Slipknot

    Ticci Toby:I’m Not A Vampire by Falling In Reverse (it’s a funny song)

    Jeff the Killer:Boyfriends Hate Me by Space Cowboy

    Sally:I’m So Sick by Flyleaf

    Jane the Killer:Gorgeous Nightmare by Escape the Fate

    The Rake:Scissorhands[The Last Snow] by Motionless In White

    Masky & Hoodie:Trashed and Scattered by Avenged Sevenfold

    1. Yo I love your taste in music (all my favorites) but they’re not necessarily creepy for our Pasta monsters. Good list of songs though :P

  7. These are some of the songs i listen to for inspiration for creepypasta

    1.Tarantula by Oliver (vocaloid)
    2.Bacteria Contamination by Hatsune Miku (vocaloid)
    3.animal i have become by three days grace
    4.Monster by Meg and Dia (remix)
    5. Haunted by screams by myuuji (youtuber)

    Myuuji make way more creepy yet awesome songs but i don’t what to make it too long.

  8. Has anyone mentioned Yume Nikki’s soundtrack yet?

    The soundtrack to Yume Nikki works well with most creepypasta in my opinion.It has a very surreal feel to it and it doesn’t distract me while I’m reading.

  9. I don’t listen to very much while reading creepypasta, but I believe “The Sleep Of Reason Produces Monsters” by Desiderii Marginis would set the mood pretty well.

  10. I honestly LOVE reading creepypastas with DEFTONES music. Koi No Yokan fits soo well, all of it. It has such an errie and nice feeling in some way and it fits every pasta I have read so far. Oh, and CULT OF LUNA’s album VERTIKAL goes well too.

  11. For Laughing Jack, I have this one song that always pops into my head when I hear his name, it’s “Circus” by Britney Spears

  12. Typically, when I listen to music while creating/developing a CreepyPasta, I usually listen to something angry, depressing, and/or creepy in order to get me in that mindset of what a CreepyPasta would act like, their past, how they kill or if they simply lurk around, etc.

    The category of music that I listen to is typically alternative rock, because I like to listen to angry music most when making a CreepyPasta, however, I’ll listen to other types of music depending on the character I’m working on.

  13. I enjoy listening to heavy metal, while reading, writing, or anything in general. One of my favourite bands to listen to is “In Flames” a MeloDeth band who are actually pretty good at making amazing-creepy-melodies. A great song to explain this is “The Attic” A heart-beat background melody. An amazing album from them is “Sounds of A Playground Fading” full of beautiful, creepy-themed songs. Their like a “Nu-metal” of Melodic Death Metal.

  14. The album “Thirteenth Step” by A Perfect Circle. Beautiful album and absolutely perfect for reading anything creepy. It gives me cold chills.

  15. “Counting Bodies like Sheep to the Rhythm of the war drums” is a great song by A Perfect Circle. It fits Jeff the Killer to an absolute tee.

  16. meh, 5/10
    decent idea, perhaps you could do a part two where you explain about the otehr killings, maybe add some gore!

      1. Nah man, I agree with Anonymouse. You could’ve thrown in a couple of beheadings here and there, or at least explain how you were able to kill Predhead in the beginning.

  17. when i began reading creepy pastas i put on some 8-bit covers ( im more of punk rock guy)just to have something to listen but not be anoyed by the lyrics so i could focus better on reading. now everytime i hear 8-bit music i think of my favorite pastas.

  18. I like the song, “Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of War Drums.” I think it would be a great theme song for Jeff the Killer. :D

  19. I listen to marylin mansion and avenged sevenfold I read and write creepy pastas. They great inspiration to what I’m writing about.

  20. I don’t really have specific theme songs for Creepypastas, but as for creepy music, Creature Feature is definitely what comes to mind. Specific songs to listen to are:
    How to Serve Man
    The Greatest Show Unearthed
    Mommy’s Little Monsters
    Gorey Demise

  21. Don't ask me that

    I like to listen to Three Days Grace while I read Creepypastas.Songs like ‘World So Cold’,’Break’, and ‘I Hate(Everything About You)’.But not literally lol.I think Jeff the Killer’s theme song could be ‘Nightmare’ by Avenged Sevenfold.Personally, they’re my all-time favorite band.As inspiration music goes, I would suggest ‘Drown[Live Acoustic-Rolling Stone (EP)’.It’s dark and moody.

  22. I most often listen to Skrillex, but songs like Summit, Scatta, Scary Bollydub, but mostly only the song Breakn’ A Sweat. I’ve listened to that song so many times while reading creepypastas that i now cant listen to it without thinking and then wanting to read creepypastas, and whenever i do listen to it when im walking or stuff i feel like somethings gonna happen because that’s what i associate it with

  23. The only music that has ever brought fear or uneasiness in me is probobly any song by the underground rapper Twisted Insane or some of Marilyn Manson’s music.

  24. honestly I know a lot of scary songs like Dirty Night Clowns, Enter the Carnival, I dont know this song but here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldsxtu2Fom8 , Little Clown, The Highblood’s Lullaby, laughing backwards, bernadette IAMX, aha!, Blackest Heart, Blackest Heart (With Horns), Midnight Calliope, The Carnival, and The Darkened Miracle. I love the carnival ones the most so that’s why most of them are clown and carnival ones I have more too.

  25. I usually listen to Get Out Alive by Three Days Grace. Originally I got hooked to the song because the author of Beware Of Those Who Do Us Harm put it up as like a tract to listen to when reading her story. But now I can see Get Out Alive as a lot of the creepypasta stories theme songs so when reading and writing Creepypasta I tend on listening to anything like Get Out Alive or even something like Getting Away With Murder by Papa Roach.

    I feel like Sweet Dreams by Marlyn Manson is Jeff the Killers theme song. It just seems to fit him well, I guess with the song title and everything. But also I think that Counting Bodies Like Sheep by A Perfect Circle is also a good song for Jeff because in the middle of the song the singer says “Go to sleep”. Go back to sleep seems to show up a lot in the song.

  26. check out an album called “ghosts on magnetic tape” by Bass Communion. very creepy :). all the tracks should be on YouTube.

  27. Vocaloid music… Boosts my confidence and such. Currently I’m listening to imitation black, mErcy and iNSaNiTY. iNSaNiTY is a pretty good theme song (in my opinion) for many of the creepypastas I’ve read. Rotten girl, grotesque romance has a creepypasta story attached to it.

  28. Myuu is perfect because he makes music specifically to read creepypastas to. People like MrCreepyPasta use is music as background for their narrations.

  29. [Insert Creative Username Here]

    I’ve always associated Jeff the Killer with the song “The Carnival”, from Homestuck. I don’t know, I feel like it goes rather well with him.

  30. blood, by my chemical romance for Jeff the killer! and generally I listen to Johnny’s revenge by crown the empire!!! the red jumpsuit apparatus also has a song called, misery loves company, helps me get into the vibe for pastas with an insane character or a panic feel.

  31. I’m new to this site, but I have a definite appreciation for creepy music. Immediately I think of the theme music from the 1980’s TV miniseries V: The Final Battle, one of the coolest TV theme music pieces I know. Wish I had it on disk or online. Another wonderfully chilling piece from the classical repertoire, which I do own, is the Symphony No. 11 by Dmitri Shostakovich, which was his musical depiction of the Russo-Japanese War of 1905. One movement absolutely puts goosebumps on me every time I hear it: it starts with a staccato snare drum riff, which introduces a fugue in the low strings that eerily slides up the scale as the snare riff plays a counterpoint, and increases in volume until the snare riff is followed by thunder on the kettledrums, then a military drumbeat on the snares. One can just picture tanks crashing through walls, or perhaps monsters breaking into someone’s home. The Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens is also an eerie favorite, as is the Symphony No. 8 by Shostakovich, a pulse-pounding musical portrait of war. You can actually hear bombers making bombing runs in the first movement. The third movement of that symphony was also used to great effect in the movie Fandango.

    Online, I discovered the music of Michael Chocholak on artistserver.com, though his pieces are found on a number of other sites too. Wonderfully eerie, brooding, moody stuff. Particular favorites of mine include his Blood Music suite, inspired by the Greg Bear novel of the same name, and his Blue Star Kachina, a truly eldritch piece that would make excellent theme music for a UFO landing.

  32. I know this is the wrong topic, but please derpbutt, for the love of god, bring back the mobile version of the site. It was so easy to use. What happend to it ?

    1. Sometimes it randomly disables itself and I don’t know why. Uninstalling/reinstalling brings it back, and it looks like it’s back up.

      So in the future, guys – if the mobile theme vanishes again, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I don’t have a smartphone so if it disables, you guys will figure it out before I do.

  33. Nine Inch Nails is great. Especially The Downward Spiral album. Their songs fit well as themes for the majority of creepypastas.

    Jeff the Killer-
    The Becoming (The Downward Spiral)
    Please (The Fragile)

    Smile Dog-
    Something I Can Never Have (Pretty Hate Machine)
    No, You Don’t (The Fragile)

    Mr. Widemouth-
    Came Back Haunted (Hesitation Marks)

    Russian Sleep Experiment-
    Terrible Lie (Pretty Hate Machine)

  34. I don’t really listen to music while reading because I focus too much on the music and not on what I’m reading, but these songs have a bit of a creepy atmosphere (or at least I think so):
    -16 Horsepower’s cover of Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival
    -Tell Me About the Forest by Dead Can Dance
    -If I had A Heart by Fever Ray
    -Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine
    -O Death by Jen Titus
    -My Manic and I by Laura Marling
    -The Drowning Man and One Hundred Years by The Cure
    -Mirror’s Image by The Horrors
    -Lighthouse by Hush Sound
    -Black Lake Nidstang and The Lodge by Agalloch (okay maybe more sad than creepy)
    -The Gate of Nanna by Beherit
    -At the Gallow’s End and Dustflow by Candlemass
    -Skelepht by Drapsnatt
    -Att Älskas by Hypothermia
    Also a lot of horror movie soundtracks of course.

    I could post a long list of (metal) songs and bands that have creepy/sadistic lyrics, like Autopsy, Watain, Carach Angren, Lord Belial and Skeletonwitch, but personally I don’t think they have a creepy/spooky mood and that songs with a gloomy piano tune are much creepier.

    Sorry for the long post.

  35. I like to listen to Nightmare Revisited while writing, also something violent helps. Like dubstep, but Nightmare Revisited is good cause it can be kinda creepy. Nightcore is good to, even though I only listen to one song (Bad Apple) but not like the other songs can’t help too.

  36. Our group works in a number of electronic-based genres, and the dark nature of much of our music is usually appropriate. That being said, being such fans of the genre, we’ve written a couple pieces specifically to enhance the reading experience. Here are links to two of them:

    http://soundcloud.com/musicbydor/interior

    http://soundcloud.com/musicbydor/sleeping-was-something-we

    Would love to hear if these increase the engagement for anyone while reading some of the works here.

    Also, have to echo the one poster about Aphex Twin, in specific his Selected Ambient Works Volume II. That is some straight up creepy stuff.

    1. I recommend this.

      OT: A lot of times I listen to Mark Lanegan’s solo work and colaborations with the English electric music duo “Soulsavers”. The albums Broken, It’s not the way you fall, Field Songs, and Bubblegum have amazingly deep and haunting tracks, with great vocals.

    2. I have been downloading and listening to Some of the songs off of Aphex Twin’s Selected Ambient Works Vol.II
      It does make good creepypasta listening music
      I can see why it was used in the Half-Life mod Afraid of Monsters

    1. i know a few songs that are really freaky/scary.they may not fit pastas that great but i think their great songs none of the less. here they are:

      Happy Valentines Day- Blood On The Dance Floor

      Counting Bodies Like Sheep- A Perfect Circle

      I Don’t Wanna Die- Nightcore

      let the bodies hit the floor- drowning pool

      Get Away With Murder- Jeffree Star

  37. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

    ‘That Haunting Melody’ by Al Jonson is pretty creepy. Might actually use it on one of my pastas.
    PS: Hate to pester, but has my discussion post been moved? Not in a rude way at all, of course I realise predhead is an important piece of this website, and I guess it answers my first question on the website all toghether, that you still get along fine. (As apposed to my dick-ish question about submissions. Thanks for this experience, and having patience with me derpbutt, even when I was a n00b. This has been a wonderful experience.)

    1. We loved your derpbutt and predhead story :)

      And I’ll eventually get around to posting all discussion posts, sometimes they just get bumped by holidays or other things.

      Also, in the future please leave any discussion post topic suggestions on the Discussion Post page as a comment – much easier for me to find them, otherwise I have to look through all your comments trying to find the one where you suggested something. TIA!

  38. Alfred Frederick Dinglebottom

    My personal choices would be.

    Today – Jefferson Airplane (not particularly scary but has a haunting sound to it, very beautiful song)
    Comin’ Back to Me – Jefferson Airplane (same reason as above)
    Careful with that Axe Eugene – Pink Floyd (Amazing instrumental work and…well…just look at the title)
    One of these days – Pink Floyd (Listen out for “One of these days I’m going to cut you into little pieces” plus it’s an amazing song. Pink Floyd definitely have some of the most talented instrumentalists in history)
    Venus in Fear – Cradle of Filth (I’m not a fan of theirs but that song is downright spooky)

  39. I feel like a lot of masterful creepy music has been composed for video games. A lot of Silent Hill and Resident Evil music stands out in my mind. Off the top of my head I remember the theme music for the Navistador enemies in RE4 are pretty creepy. The Regenerators in RE4 have a creepy soundtrack as well. But their music can have a creepy, and somber tone to them as well. Like Secure Place in RE2 (or any saveroom music for that matter) is really soothing, but you still have that erie sensation because you know you’re still surrounded by zombies. In Earthbound when you fight the creature Giygas, the music is downright disturbing.

  40. Of all the places to find music that really gets your heart pumping while reading a scary story, who would’ve thought it would come from the Planet Earth series. For me, it doesn’t get any better than “The Cordyceps” theme from George Fenton. Guaranteed to make you squirm while you read about the Rake.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyWRCXna79g

  41. I think The Mars Volta has some truly demonic rock music, but also am a big fan of dark ambient like Lustmord and Akira Yamaoka for inspiration. Also Scott Walker probably makes the scariest music around… Not for the faint of heart
    I am also member of a group Penrose Stairs that is about to release our album Spider Island. If you’re looking for truly freaky music you won’t be disappointed. We are giving it away free for the next 24 hours if you join our mailing list.
    http://www.penrosestairs.com

  42. generally when I think creepy music I think of ambient/neo-classical
    things like aphex twin
    a winged victory for the sullen
    brian eno
    burial
    birds of passage
    also there is a mix here: https://soundcloud.com/solitude/6am-mix
    its full of good creepy ambient

    Now time of some shameless self promotion
    I have actually made a song inspired by everymanhybrid and the slender man mythos
    links
    http://youtu.be/MrhNIPtLPPg
    https://soundcloud.com/flashbackc96/3v3rym4n

  43. I think that The Scream by The Cure is quite creepy, basically the whole song just reminds me of the feelings that fear evokes, and also The Cures album ( i promise, it isnt like the album name suggests) Pornography, it is quite scary.

  44. Danielle Elizabeth

    I love Lindsey Stirlings ‘Moon Trance’, and her dubstep violin songs.

    Also, Nightwish, Tool, Disturbed, Tchaikovskys 1812 Overture, Panic Song and Brain Stew by Green Day, Iron by Woodkid, Interpol, ICP, Rob Zombie, the Suckerpunch Soundtrack and White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. Among other things.

    xD

  45. Call me predictable if you must

    1. Various Silent Hill songs, ie Silent Circus, Room of Angel, etc. Captain Obvious reporting in: Lux Aeterna. I enjoy it because it has the relaxing sound to it, kind of like a faking of innocence.
    2. Not really, never thought of it.
    3. Seemann by Rammstein or maybe Sterbehilfe by Suicide Commando
    4. Nope

  46. InfernalNightmare333

    I don’t usually listen to music when reading, but I often do when writing. I’m really into electronic music right now, and usually it’s creepy Vocaloid songs. Some of my recent favorites include Kagome Kagome, Love Love Nightmare, In the Depth of Darkness, Grave-Sending Song, Rugrats Theory (obviously pasta-inspired already), Crazy Clown, Dark Woods Circus, Song for Great Satan, The Full Course for Candy Addicts, Trick and Treat, and practically anything by mothy/Akuno-P. I tend to identify with Night Tales Deceive (by Jin, with a pretty nice English cover by JubyPhonic), even though it doesn’t have a very creepy atmosphere to it.
    I also love Children of Darkness (by Hotel Saint George), Darkness and Magic (by I’m not sure who), Magia (by Kalafina), and the piano version of Uninstall. Finally, Nightmare Night by WoodenToaster is also one of my favorite Internet-based songs, but be warned: it’s “brony” music, and I know a lot of people don’t like that kind of thing.
    Wow, I just noticed that only about two songs on that whole list are in English…

    1. Awesome song selection man; I listened to all the pieces you listed. I’d never bothered to check any Miku songs before, but now I can see why she’s so popular.

      Are there any songs you think would fit one of the creepypastas or their characters though? Like, if you were to encounter Private Monkey or Slenderman “so and so” would start playing in the background?

      1. InfernalNightmare333

        Hmmm… I haven’t really thought about that much. When I think of background music to encounters, I think more of orchestral, soundtrack sorts of music (like the Silent Hill pieces you listed in your comment); and I’m not quite sure how I’d “match” any of those to a specific pasta. If we’re just thinking about which songs fit certain pastas, though… I think “Crazy Clown” pairs well with Mr. Widemouth or Ickbarr Bigelsteine, and “Rotten Girl, Grotesque Romance” (another Miku song) with stalker pastas like Dear Abby and Your Secret Admirer. There’s also a pretty good unofficial theme for Candle Cove on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIIAyM4H1UE). And of course, “Rugrats Theory” for… well, Rugrats Theory :)

  47. Myuuji, who composes the score for most of Mr. Creepypasta’s stories, has some really great creepy music. Pretty awesome dude.

    1. my last reply somehow found its way into disappearance so i wont be wasting too much time on this:
      for inspirations try listen to creepy vocaloid songs. i’ve listed a few below:
      dark wood circus
      hateful wonderland
      iNsAnItY
      sunset love suicide
      rotten girl
      fear garden
      feng zi (it’s a chinese song and you can find it on youtube, but since you wouldn’t be ble to understand it which is most likely here’s my translation: brushing teeth, i cry \walking, i cry\the sun rises, i cry music makes me cry showering i cry staying still, i cry the wind’s blowing, i cry comedy makes me cry, too i cannot control myself hold back my heavy emotions i say no to facing the end i don’t wanna think anything too complicated you gave me so may rules said so much common sence tired out my poor heart any more any more i’ll collapse the world is moving it’s getting crazy shedding tears facing my fears you said that i am mad i can’t hear anything can mot hear what your saying i’m babbling nonsence tears have blinded my vision pixilating my world happiness can only be traded with pain. is it really worth living is my freedom exists in another world alone? but i’m tired, so i only cry, like a lunatic i cry without a stop there’s no other way you think i’m mad ,too so, i am, mad~)
      listen to the song anyway cus it’s depressing in a beautifl way.
      i’m sorry i’m sorry
      bacteria contamination
      hammer horror
      a thriteen years old killer
      suicide
      and if you are thinking of writing about a sad non-human lunatic then here’s something for you:
      corpse bride, bride of chuckie(movies), the murder dolls(band)…
      monochrome ward
      that girl isn’t scared of me
      the tailor at enbizaka

  48. What many people fail to realize is that “creepy” has been a trend, twice before. Music from Ozzy, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath are all based on dark, “creepy” ideas. The dark music theme was a popular trend in the seventies and wouldn’t come back until the late 90’s and early 2000’s with System of a Down, Rob Zombie, and a bunch of other psycho sadistic fueled songs of the era.

    1. You have a point, but I wouldn’t group Rob Zombie and SOAD together… They’re both dark, but they’re completely different stylistically.

      1. Alfred Frederick Dinglebottom

        Much in the same way as I wouldn’t make any kind of comparison between those talented and revolutionary bands of the seventies and the modern bands you chose.

        How could you possibly leave out Motorhead? They’re probably more influential on those bands than any other seventies band would have been. What about Alice Cooper? What about Metallica in the 80’s? Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne were both at their peak in the 80’s. That “dark” music has been around for a while now. Even Hawkwind in the 60’s could be described as “dark”.

  49. I think my view of music is pretty strange. I don’t listen to music while reading or writing, especially not creepy pastas. However, there are songs that I think would go well with some situations in pastas, but I feel like people would disagree.

    “Further” from the Far Cry 3 soundtrack is mind-blowing to me. It’s a fantastic song, and for some odd reason I think it’d go well with a chase seen.

    Let’s say there’s a character running through the woods from some sort of monster or whatever you want to imagine. I think it’d add an almost surreal aspect to the scene, but in a very good way.

    Here’s a link to the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSluEH0TDA

    Anyone agree/disagree?

    1. Hmmm…Disagree,

      It’s relatively quick paced like chase song, but It’s more dramatic than surreal.
      “Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima” from the Children of Men soundtrack would fair better; I would say.

  50. For Candle cove- The Poltergeist Theme Song
    For Smile Dog- “Dancing is Forbidden,” the Ending theme to Aqua Teen Hunger Force

  51. For Jeff the Killer: “Living In The Sunlight, Loving In The Moonlight” by Tiny Tim
    For The Melancholy of Herbert Solomon: “Hedgehog’s Dilemma” from the Evangelion OST and “Tears of…”from the Silent Hill 1 soundtrack
    For Anna: “By This River” from Brian Eno
    For The Sandman: “Moonchild” from the Silent Hill 1 soundtrack
    For Psychosis: “Separation Anxiety” from the Evangelion OST
    For Gateway to the Mind: “White Noise” from the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack
    For In the Land of Black and White:
    “Memory” from the Cowboy Bebop OST
    “Forest” + “Promise (Reprise)” + “Lost Carol” and “Magdalene” from the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack
    For Interest Story: “Null Moon” or “Fermata in Mistic Air “from the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack
    For The Russian Sleep Experiment: “Devil Lyric” from the SH1 soundtrack
    For Forgotten Valentine: “Ocean in your eyes”by Smokey and Miho
    For The Devil Game: “Terror in the Depths of the Fog” from the SH2 soundtrack
    For The Crawlspace: “True”from the SH2 soundtrack
    For Julia Legare: “Lost Carol” and “Magdalene” from the SH2 soundtrack
    For Dear Abby: Insomnio by Alejandro Flores
    For Slenderman: “Give me that slow knowing smile” by Lisa Ekdahl
    For CandlejaHE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED: Mr. Trololo’s theme

    1. You mentioned NGE and SH. Instant upvote.

      Actually, Borderline Case (NGE) always gets to me, but I have no idea how to put into words the way that it does. And I don’t know what story it would go best with, but it’s definitely one of my favourites, and so very atmospheric, and can be kinda unsettling when you know the scene. Shinji’s head just ain’t a good place to be.

      Also, In A House, In a Heartbeat (I think that’s the right title) from 28 Days/Weeks Later was another perfect build-up atmospheric one, and my favourite music to listen to whenever I’m out on one of my frequent late night wanders.

      1. Borderline case could maaaaaaaybe go with Psychosis or some of other dementia pastas, probably.
        John Murphy’s stuff is a must hear, for sure, but during a late night stroll man?
        Are you usually being chased by the infected at night? haha

        Are you? o_o

  52. Various pieces from the Silent Hill Soundtrack, particularly 1 and 2.
    In particular, “Ordinatry Vanity” fits perfectly into “On a Hill”; I would say, and “Promise (Reprise)” + “Lost Carol” also make me think of the feeling conveyed by “In the Land of Black and White.”
    For psychological discrepancies like “Psychosis”, the latter part of the Evangelion OST(Separation Anxiety, Mother is the first other, three of me; one of someone else)fit quite nicely.

    I’ll come back to post a more thorough name of song + sample link list, later on.

  53. Well raise your weapon by deadmau5 kinda reminds me of jeff the killer ( the original story, not beware those who would do you harm)

  54. Once again, here I am practically promoting myself. Ugh, I’m sorry.
    But this topic sits very nicely with the one thing I’ve written in the last… I don’t even know how many years.

    Gone With The Sin (linked in my username) was both written to and named after the HIM song of the same name. I can’t find every version of it, or even my favourite versions, on youtube (dammit) so here’s one, anyway. I really recommend looking for the other versions as well, though. http://youtu.be/Ifwf8RrU-94

    My favourite versions – including the one the story was written to, on repeat – have to be the “OD version” on Uneasy Listening and the one on XX – Two Decades of Love Metal. When I found out they’d redone my favourite song for XX, and then when I heard what they’d done with it… Wow. Just wow.

    I first heard it in a friend’s garage, sitting out there by myself basically borrowing her car as a big heavy stereo, the garage conveniently having perfect acoustics to hear the beautiful layers of bass and almost baroque yet still understated flourishes the boys had added to what was already an incredibly beautiful song. I sat there in a whole other world, just listening and watching the smoke from my cigarette trailing up toward the ceiling and pooling in there in lazy loops and spirals… I have no idea if I blinked. I was just lost in it. My story has a similar moment in it, that one instant of emotion and surreal perfection for the main character, subjectively stretched out for what seems an eternity, only to end with a jolt as the music (or in my character’s case, something a bit less wholesome) ends and the real world forces its way back.

    Also, on a relevant side note, the whole thing happened with such perfect timing. I’d bought the album while on the other side of the country for an Australia Day party with certain… friends of the band (not to name-drop, but for the sake of setting the tone and showing relevance, if you’ve ever watched Jackass or CKY… well yeah), but had not been able to listen to it at the time, then the story was inspired soon after I got back, and was written not that long before I finally got to listen to the CD. It was also the first remake of that particular song in a while, I had not expected it to be included on that album at all… so in a way, it felt almost like Ville and the others had somehow known, and that incredibly beautiful new version was for me.
    Incorrect and illogical, I know, but… ♥

  55. Kristen Lawrence. She has a lovely voice and plays the organ. She mostly sings Halloween based music that she creates herself. Some are older folk songs like “Ghost of John”. She has a haunting voice and I listen to her whilst reading stories from this site. Definitely check out her music sometime.

    1. vocaloids aren’t just cute little man-made idols_sometimes they get much scarier! Rotten Girl Grotesque Romance is definitely my best pick, some genius’s done an english version to go with this original Hatsune Miku song! there’s also Dark Wood Circus,a song about (I think) manipulated children in a freak circus. and i’d recommand the songs below too if you are looking for inspiration on whatever it is:
      i’m sorry, i’m sorry
      the garden of fears
      sunset love suicide
      the tailor of enbizaka
      iNsAnItY
      HAMMER HORROR
      bacteria contamination
      hateful wonderland
      minochrome ward
      wide knowledge of the late, madness
      the explosion of killer puppet( the english title may not be this since it’s my own translation)

      1. Y U NO Hide and Seek?

        Also, to add to this pretty Vocaloid list… :P

        Circle you Circle you (Kagome Kagome)

        Alice of Human Sacrifice

        SeeU I=Nightmare

        Circus Monster.

        Crazy Clown

        And from Touhou (if you don’t know what that is, shame on you…)

        Cinderella Cage ~ Kagome Kagome

        Hartmann’s Youkai Girl.

        And my personal favourite, that defines creepypasta for me, when it all started reading the holders series:

        Plain Asia

  56. I think some of Aphex Twin’s music fits well with reading creepypastas. There are no lyrics, but many of their music videos are inherently creepy, and the songs fit so well with them that after awhile they take on a life of their own. This may not work as well if you haven’t seen any of the music videos though, haha…
    Windowlicker and Come To Daddy are some of the more popular ones. The Rubber Johnny video is really creepy too, although the music isn’t necessarily. I guess it all depends on perception, but I find that their music accompanies the average pasta strangely well.

    1. OMFG. Looks like it’s time to turn my bedroom into a pillow fortress and get out the trusty ol’ AK-74.
      Thanks for sharing, that video was something all right.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top