Advertisement
Please wait...

The Name of One



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

Names.

Words assigned to other human beings to identify them to their fellow human beings. We walk around every day, calling out to one another, using words of a specific language to address a chosen person. Even without knowing a person’s name, we still use them to direct our thoughts, like “the blonde woman” or “the man with a beard.” All of these words describe and name the people and world around us. These words direct us. But what if there were no names? What if we walked by someone we knew by looks, but could not call out to them to get their attention? What would life be like then? Would our thoughts hold a coherent structure? Would we even know each other?

Popular talk shows couldn’t exist in this reality, because they couldn’t name who they would talk to. Confusion would follow the presidential elections, as no one would know who they were voting for. School would be harder, since you would be meeting new people that you wouldn’t even recognize. Our brains could not survive without naming people. Our minds would fill with thoughts but no one to direct them to, no one to name. Words like “blonde” or “bearded” would carry no weight, for those are names given to those we do not know. Languages would no longer be functional. If there were no names, nothing to describe a person, would they even exist? Could they exist? Is that why names were invented, to hold the human reality in place? Is that the price to pay for being withheld to a word given to you, one you didn’t even choose? Is being trapped by a word worth your existence? People who change their names can create a whole new reality for themselves. Breaking away from a particular word can open up thousands of possibilities. Also, those people that give you names, do they own you? Are you withheld to their power, their will? We name animals, and by society’s standards, we own the animals we name. If the government named you, would that mean that they owned you? Is being safe inside the confines of reality mean you give up your freedom? That is the conclusion I came to.

Advertisements

Now, you may be wondering why I asked you all these difficult questions. You may have already left, the ravings of a mad woman sent to torture your subconscious is not worth the time it takes to listen. Exactly what your captors want you to think. Who do you think started the naming process? Wouldn’t be the people that owned you as well as the entire human race? Reality is what we believe our world exists in, what we don’t want to break away from, when; in fact, it is the very thing that holds you hostage, holds you back from true freedom. Now that you’ve realized this, I only have one last question for you.

Advertisements

What is your name?

Advertisements

Credit To – Weirdo Reading Manga

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

38 thoughts on “The Name of One”

  1. It wasn’t really creepy at all. I mean, yes, there was some truth to it, but I think it’s something everyone pretty much already knew. Yes, you name your pets and claim ownership of them. You asked if the people name us hold us to their power and will. Again, that’s a yes. When you’re a young child your parents or legal guardians pretty much have complete control with what happens in your life. In a sense they do in fact own you, even if not worded as such.

    I don’t think this was creepy at all, and I don’t think it’s nearly as deep as it was supposed to be. It just seems like you found a long and drawn out way of stating the obvious.

  2. RoseByAnyOtherName

    Um…what? If we didn’t know people’s names, we’d come to know them as “Blondie” or “Weirdy Beardy” or “Horrible Boss.” And then for us, those would be their names. It happens all the time in workplaces…This is highly illogical Jim.

  3. For those who think this is bad pasta; I would agree. However, the writing that the author demonstrates is very well done and the execution of this thought process was nice. It isn’t nice to mimic a person’s thought process into words but the author did it very well here. I wish that I had the same skill in this style of writing. If I did it would allow me to illustrate characters in my own writing much more effectively. Nice job.

    More of a character’s thought by thought explanation, but still a very important process in actual writing. It adds more depth to the characters in books I would say.

  4. Weirdo Reading Manga

    Hey, thanks for the feedback! This was my first story to appear here. This thought just kind of came to me from no where and I just wanted to write about it. I plan on tackling a more difficult idea for the next submission period. Thanks again.

  5. No, no, no, no, just no. Yet another pasta where the author tries to make a shallow, uninteresting idea “deep” and “meaningful”. Total hit and miss as far as creepy goes due to rambling and at at some points forgetting to keep a storyline.

  6. This could have been a lot better. About halfway through it got rambly and you started to sound like a ranting truther type. Nice idea, not so nice execution of it.

  7. I like the idea, but not the execution. I probably would have enjoyed this more if I were reading about someone somehow discovering this truth, and then, you know, something actually happens. Trying to speak directly to the reader invokes the same reaction those tin foil hat people get when they are trying to explain why the tinfoil blocks mind reading. That, first of all, if thought waves show up on the electromagnetic spectrum, then the tinfoil is only amplifying them. And second, no, I will not loan you my Faraday Cage bonnet.

    I suppose another problem is that the questions posed are not particularly difficult or requiring any deep thought. The reader most likely reaches their own conclusion before the next sentence starts, and at the end the author is left to conclude a conversation that is effectively already over.

    The idea, again, is one worth pursuing. Perhaps the author could write a protagonist that follows the same train of thought, and reaches the same conclusion about reality, only to find that this revelation has altered the nature of their existence. If that were to happen, however, it would be best for this new existence to actually be creepy.

  8. Hey, pretty cool stuff. I’m not as big on the more abstract/philosophical pieces, but I did enjoy this thought experiment. The tone of it was great, increasing in fervor throughout. I also think the ending was perfect for what you presented. I think there is room to provide a little more evidence and a few more logical arguments in the middle, because it does feel like there some major assumptions made without explanation, but it did an acceptable job presenting the thesis either way. The power of a name, tied in with a giant boogeyman for all humanity. It’s a neat idea and, while I prefer more narrative pieces, this story got me thinking! Thanks for a thought provoking piece, and happy writing!

  9. This was some majorly trippy shit. I actually shuddered at the final question. Seriously, this is one of the most insane things I have ever heard from a human being. Being a former acidhead, this brings a whole new level of bad vibes on my doorstep. People try to find their meaning in psychedelics, but that’s merely scratching the surface. You’re still caught in reality, you’re just another one or two levels up in the same reality (depending on what you’re on) and you can’t escape it. The acid has always told me a story of how reality is faulted. I don’t know where I’m going with this though, so anyways, insanely good stuff. Love this thought process.

  10. It wasnt creepy, and was more a little bit of odd – tasting food for thought if you ask me. It was in no way bad, but it wasn’t, in my eyes, creepy. I love the idea though.

  11. A name is a name to me I go by more then most less then some those that know me and don’t know me call me Red dose that mean they own me nope… But it is food for thought but freedom its self well its a thought to as long as we are bound by one thing or another law morals and such we are not free

  12. notices person, Hey! hows it been?
    no names…
    naming things makes life easier, but we can function without them. My teacher back in third grade had us play a game where we could not use names. through make shift sign language and beating around the bush we were able to direct people to go to a certain place in the school. it was a fun game.
    while not being able to use names would annoy some, it wouldnt others, and its not the least bit creepy.

  13. Writing:
    As far as my limited (nooby) knowledge goes, the grammar and spellings are mostly good. The writing style is impressive as well.

    Contents:
    As far as content is concerned. Well, it has much potential. The concept in itself is good. Especially the beginning, quite thought provoking and intriguing.

    Though I didn’t like the ending. The authour could have done much better. Instead of jumping to (and imposing, if I may say so) their own conclusions, they could have written it in such a way as to make the reader’s mind ponder over it. Let their imaginations run amock. Make them form their own views and opinions. Like giving the reader’s some bait and let them do the fishing.

    Another approach could be that, instead of forming solid conclusion, the authour provides suggestions or alternative scenarios. Saying stuff like language won’t exist or humanity would crumble just becuase there are no names is a bit strong, in my humble opinion. It’s the hierarchy that’s important not the name itself.

    Anyhow, overall: great writing, great style, good concept, Thought provoking. The points that need work are: needs more fuel, and needs be be more objective.

    Just my 2 cents.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top