Advertisement
Please wait...

Modern Monster



Estimated reading time — 10 minutes

Hello, my name’s Charlie Ipstien. Dorky, I know. But I’m better known as ‘Chips’ by my familiar. I ain’t a classy guy, a lowlife thug people call me. And I admit it. Can’t really blame myself though. It was where I was damn raised. Messed me up badly. I grew up in the slums, the absolute pits. The school I was taught in was complete and utter shit. The budget was around about the price of a taco. The teachers knew no better than us, and were nearly always pissed off. Let’s just say they had a different idea on ‘Punishments’, back then.
However, it wasn’t just them that caused us to be how we are today. It was a kid, who came to our school during April. You see, this was a cheap, cheap school, so the peasants around here could afford to ‘educate’ their child. So it’s no surpise to anyone that some shady characters got into the school. Like Larry. Although no-one actually called him that. That had a special name for him: Freak.
Larry had the average personality of a kid who just moved to school. Shy and quiet. But how he looked, well that was a whole new story. He had one of those conditions, I’d researched, um, let me see, ah yes: Hypertrichosis. Or as it’s better known ‘Werewolf Syndrome.’ Because who cares about being subtle. He had hazelnut brown hair all over his face, and his body. We found that out when Razor took his shirt off and started kicking him. People like us weren’t so used to the condition, so he was bullied badly.
We’d all call him freak, and ‘Werewolf Kid’ and usually taunt him with wolf howls all day. It weren’t ‘cos we didn’t like ‘em. ‘Cos deep down, we were scared of him. We’d never seen anyone like it, so that was our natural reply to it. You might call me sick, but I wasn’t doing the bullying so much, more just watching. I know, that’s no better but what would the teachers do anyhow? The gang would howl at him, and hit him all lesson long, while the teacher was usually shitfaced on the table.
The more I think about it, the more I feel bad. He was just trying to fit in, and we weren’t making that easy for him. But the others didn’t care, they never stopped having fun with him. Especially Razor. He seemed to take an instant dislike to him, and usually went way too far as we stood back. Razor wasn’t the most healthy-minded kid, as he lived in a house right next to druggies, the fumes getting through, most likely. Not many people knew Razor’s name, we think it was Robert Mayfield or something. But when some poor sucker named Jeff made fun of his name, Razor justified how he’d got that nickname. It was a natural decision to let him be in charge.
One of the incidents were Razor freaked out was P.E, and the teacher, being the lazy bastard he was, just gave us all a ball to bounce. We did the usual stuff, dodge ball, football, while Razor had two balls, and held them to his chest pretending they were his boobs. You know, the normal High School stuff. Then Larry came, presumably from the teachers office, his hair ruffled and messed up, and his eyes red from tears. Despite his large amount of hair, he was pretty weedy. There was a ball each, but since Razor had taken two, there wasn’t one for him.
“Um, could I have a ball, please?” He said, stuttering as usual.
Razor looked at him, then held one of the balls way over his head.
He pointed to the white ball above Larry and said, “Oh look guys! A full moon!” I had to admit, that was funny. We all laughed and Larry sighed.
“What, ain’t I funny enough for ya freak?” Razor said angrily, gaining closer to him.
“Just come back over here man, carry on with the game.” One of us called out.
“I’m not done with hairy and ugly over here.” He snarled back, as he carried on pacing towards Larry. “Well, what’s your problem, huh?”
Larry was walking back quickly, so Razor pelted one of the balls at him as hard as he could. It must have caught him of guard, because he slammed on the ground. The gym teacher just gave a grin through his cigar.
Razor got his second ball, and threw it even harder at him. Larry writhed on the floor in pain. Razor was freaking out, as usual.
“You want a ball, do you? YOU WANT A GODDAMN BALL?” He grabbed a ball of someone else and continued to pummel him, as Larry squirmed on the floor, his face twisted in pain.
“Leave it man, come on!” We all pleaded, this could get real ugly.
I wish, and I’m sure a lot of others wish, that we’d done more then. The display that happened through the next ten minutes or so was too disturbing even for us. Razor continued to pelt him until Larry was just breathing heavily, occasionally jolting with pain. I still regret not doing something to this day.
One day, as we were walking out of school, I saw Larry walk off to the right, where I was pretty sure just led to the woods. The woods were a creepy ass place. It was the birth ground of campfire stories, and many urban legends. Ghosts, bigfoot, some weird tall dude who stole kids. I quickly ran up to him, and he looked mildly surprised, as I guess he thought I was gonna beat him up.
“Please, just let me go…” He said immediately, trying to quicken his pace.
“Where to? The only place you can go is the woods. Where’s your mom or dad?” I asked. He slowed down, and sighed.
“I don’t have a house. The woods are my home. My mom died while I was on the way out.” He continued to walk on. I just stood there. Poor guy. Wait! ‘Stop feeling sorry for Larry!’ I convinced myself, and I ran back to the gang, way ahead now. Still, he had no home, and we weren’t making it easier for him.
The next day I told them about what he said, obviously instead of me talking to him, I was punching him, so they wouldn’t judge me. I was planning on maybe raising a bit of sympathy, but it raised more taunting, and the bullying just grew worse.
The story spread across the lunchroom like a germ, as I saw Larry look into his hands. He looked at me, shaking his head slowly. I felt kinda bad, and the next day, Larry had come up to me, while I was talking to my friends.
“Why, why’d you do it?” Larry asked, so pathetically I almost felt sympathy. The gang looked at me, waiting. I had to do something to please them.
I shoved him to the ground, his eyes wide with shock.
“Sorry Larry, nothing personal.” I joked. The gang laughed heartily, and I felt pretty good. Not for hurting Larry, but for being accepted a bit more.
But the day my childhood really got messed up was the day Larry left school. It was the Monday after a previous week of taunting and slightly more vicious attacks off Razor than usual. The story had mutated to a straight up insulting rumour, and I could tell Larry was losing it. I saw his occasional eye twitch, and his slight vibrations and he sat on his desk, clawing at the table. On Monday, he was walking through the gate, twitching like a mental patient. Razor met him at the gate, me and the gang behind him.
“Hey Larry, Look what I got for ya! Ahem..!” He began.
“St-, stop it.” He spat quietly. Razor was surprised, he wasn’t used to getting spoke back to.
“What, am I getting to ya?” He said in mock empathy.
“Shut up. Just shut up.” Larry countered. His eyebrows were slowly curling down, and the crowd gave an excited murmur. This was action!
“Really? You and what army?” Razor shouted, pushing Larry fiercely.
Larry, instead of backing away, just stumbled back a bit, and shook violently even more. He looked like he was in-between ‘not giving up’ and ‘not snapping.’
“You know what I think freak boy?” Razor said, nose to nose. “I think ya momma just killed herself when she saw what just popped out? Deserved it, if you ask me…”
It all happened so fast. Larry pounced on Razor, sending him to the floor, roaring as he did so. Razor gave a startled cry, shocked at this sudden outburst. We all stopped breathing, as time seemed to stop. We were all dumbfounded by this sudden outrage. Larry continued to beat him furiously, his arms so quick they were just a blur. Blood splattered to the ground by Razor’s head, as we just stood there in horror.
“Hey, let him go freak boy!”
Some kid tried to hold Larry back, and Larry reacted by punching him away with all his force. The kid fell back like a ragdoll. Larry spun his head back to Razor. I saw his eyes, and for the first time I’d seen him, he had a look I’d never seen before. The look of an animal…

******

That all happened in high School, as I said. Left me pretty devastated and disturbed. Took me a long while to get over it, still fully haven’t really. Sometimes the memory comes back, after trying so hard to forget it. I see Razor screaming in agony, as Larry continued to claw and punch him. The teachers had apprehended Larry a couple of minutes later, they held him back with all their strength, as he writhed like a fish caught in a net. He was taken to children’s juvenile centre. We never heard from him again, and the teacher would nervously change the subject when he was mentioned. Razor hardly spoke after that, He was never the cocky airhead I’d known him to be. Larry had left him with some serious scars, mentally and physically.
I’d just finished remembering all that suppressed trauma when I got a phone call. I picked it up, and Razors voice was on the other line. The audio was shaky, as if he was holding it with a broken hand.
“Hey, hey Chips.” He said un-confidently.
“Hey Razor man!” I said happily. I hadn’t heard from him in months. “How you been?”
“Can’t complain, can’t complain…” I could hear the paranoid tone of his voice. “So, hey, I was wondering, if maybe you’d like to…”
There was a long pause. I could have sworn I heard some very high pitched sounds, like whining…
…pleading.
“Yo Razor, you there?”
I heard a low grunt from the other end, a forceful grunt. Deeper than Razors voice by a long shot.
“Okay, 0kay! Sorry man, um, line went dead. Um, so, I was wondering if you wanna get a couple of beers?”
“Sure man, tonight?”
“Yeh, yes tonight. JTK bar at 8:00. See, see you there…”
I swore I heard another grunt, and the line went dead. The phone call had, unnerved me at the least, but he’d went kinda coo-coo after the whole ‘you know what’ incident.
I was walking towards the JTK bar and it was already dark. The gnarled trees from the upcoming forest were bent and twisted, like a spinal cord. The clouds devoured the sky like smoke. Hell, probably is smoke from all the damn chemicals from the factory around here: SIREN INDRUSTIES. Damn bastards, as if this place didn’t smell bad enough.
To get the JTK bar you had to go through the woods, the one were Larry had lived. I wasn’t so scared of it now, you just have to walk through a straight path, and it’ll lead you right to town. Still, the place gave me the creeps. All the legends, and especially knowing now that Larry lived here.
I walked into the entrance of the woods, and jerked slightly. I looked down at my feet, I’d stepped into a big footprint. Not just big, huge. And right by them were smaller footprints. I carried on walking until the smaller ones just suddenly, stopped. No evidence of them turning around or nothing. Weird.
I carried on, the huge trees towering above me, watching me almost in anticipation. Like they knew they were about to get a show. The cold air stung my skin. The owl gave the occasional hoot, and the moon rose above the smoke. Classic cliché horror movie moment. I chucked, but they weren’t real. None of them were.
Snap.
I turned to the sound with a jolt, and there was just 2 particularly large and menacing trees, and some over-grown, swamp green bushes. Instead of the smell of piss and bark, here it smelled even worse. It smelt like raw meat, that’d been left here to cook and rot for a million years. Probably a dead skunk, but I couldn’t get over how bad it was. The odour filled my lungs, as I coughed and spat. I squinted my eyes to see what was behind there. All I could make out was a huge lump. Probably a tent, or a den some kids had made. Probably cooking some bad meat, or cooking something else. I heard slight whimpers, so quiet they could be missed. I wanted to see what was behind there, overlooking the entire meeting with Razor.
I began to try walking through the bushes, and the thick bristles made it tough. Ivy scraped my leg, like they were warning me to leave but I got through them. The smell was stronger now…
There was a narrow gap, and with a squeeze, I got past the tightly packed trees. I looked to where I had seen the shape…
The smell was strongest as it had ever been.
I gasped.
I saw Razor, beaten, bloodied and broken. His face was terrified, agonized, but somehow, self-accepting. His clothes were torn with three long marks. His body was dangling like a puppet. Around his neck was a gigantic fist, squeezing the life out him. The fist was brown, and hairy. The arm followed to the body of an enraged figure, a figure I knew all too well.
Larry.
But this was nothing like the Larry I’d known. The Larry I’d known was small and weak, but this one was built like a bear! He had fists the size of wrecking balls, his body like a tank. His biceps were like giant pumpkins, and just looking as hard as steel. His fur had never been too rough, but his fur looked like it had been dragged to hell and back. When he was a child, you had been able to see his human features, however now he barely looked human at all. His face was angry, but calm. But underneath the miles of fur, his eyes were bloodshot and yellow. His teeth had been filed to a point, and they were stained with red. He had a particular look, I look I’d tried my damned hardest to forget.
The look of an animal.
“P, please….,” Razor said so, so quietly.
Larry raised one hand up to Razor’s head, and gave a sharp twist. A sickening sound followed, a sound like a plate being smashed. Razor fell to the ground lifelessly.
The puppets strings had been cut.
I gagged. My feet were glued to the floor, as the rest of me shook widely. Larry turned to me, his face partly hidden by the shadows. He gave a sick grin, like an animal that had cornered its prey.
“Sorry, Chips.” He, it growled, a voice so deep it sounded it would hurt to talk.
He took a pace towards me, his fist rose to me. He lifted me, his sharp nails, claws digging into my hip. His grip was so tight. I must have weighed nothing to him. I was now face to face with this monster I had once known to a child, a lost child, with no-one to love him, tormented to insanity. He spoke again.
“Nothing personal.”
I heard the plate smashing sound again, and it all went dark.

Advertisements
Advertisements

Credit To – YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE USERNAME! (Thanks to tytiger10 and Joshua Standlee!)

Advertisements

This is the first entry in the Modern Monsters series.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

47 thoughts on “Modern Monster”

  1. The16thMartini

    I tried to like this, but I was really soured from the jump by the whole “I ain’t classy I’m from the slums” shtick. The author wrote like a middle class kid trying (and failing) to nail down some kind of low-life patois.

    The thing is, maybe the writer comes from Circumstances. I don’t have any way of knowing. Even in that case, though, the writing style is cloying and artificial and it is clearly trying (and failing) to Do a Thing.

  2. Was I the only one who noticed the Slender reference? Awesome. But how were you telling the story if you’re dead? And why did razor call him for a beer? Did he want him dead too?

    1. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

      Finally someone notices! And though I plan to eloborate more in kind of a follow up pasta, Larry fooled Razor into thinking calling Chips could get his revenge. Larry lied.

  3. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

    I’ve actually been considering doing a follow up of this in the future, saying how Larry spent his Juvenile Years, how he arranged Razor to make the call, and how he actually has plans for a few more of his old friends, and in the end, show how Larry is wrong too, and he’s becoming exactly what they said he was. But I’ll probably do a 2.0 version of this one before that.

  4. I thought it was an okay story but it was all too predictable. I also didnt understand how he was telling the story if he died at the end…

  5. Hey!

    I thought this pasta was a straight, predictable revenge flick; nevertheless, I felt both the pros and the cons stem not only from that but also from what I assume was the purpose of this pasta: tell an aesop, a moralistic story.

    IMO this purpose was explicit since the beginning. Larry is portrayed as completely sympathetic, being a) an orphan b) afflicted with a condition beyond his control. He is bullied relentlessly by the students, with seemingly no-one on his side and literally lives in the woods. In other words, since the beginning there’s little in the way of moral dilemmas: side with Larry, full stop. IMO, to have a compelling moralistic story you have to have a compelling moral dilemma in the first place, and this pasta lacks this.

    The moral itself was very conflicted. As ALB noted, it was more ‘people with physical afflictions are literally monsters, don’t bully them’ and ‘if you bully people, they’ll take revenge on you and that’s your just desserts’ rather than ‘don’t bully people, because bullying is wrong’. IMO, part of the reason for this was Larry’s lack of depth as a character, and how at times the pasta read like a revenge fantasy, which overshadowed the moralistic parts.

    However, I felt at this point there was potential: the revenge part of the pasta could’ve emphasized how that too was wrong, that murdering people has consequences. I felt this could’ve added depth to Larry’s character, but this wasn’t done, merely faintly implied.

    The other aspects of the pasta were quite okay. I liked the stylistic tone of the narration, though I did feel at times it was unsuited to the repentant soliloquies of the main character. The main character himself was interesting because he was also in a way sympathetic, which could’ve significantly deepened the dilemma, but again there was a lack of emphasis on this.

    Overall, I felt that this was a flawed pasta that could’ve been significantly better. 6.2/10

  6. ẠbracadaveЯ

    Love how all the text ads on this one are for shaving stuff. Though really I should have seen that coming, all that talk of extreme body hair and a dude named Razor. I’m kinda surprised no-one’s made any lame puns yet, actually. Either in the story or outside of it.

  7. Good effort but the content was a bit lacking and the grammar/voice was kinda garbage. And who in highschool still said “Oh yeah? You and what army?”

  8. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

    Well I’m sorry some people didn’t enjoy it, and thanks to the supportive comments (as I get so few.) ALB pointed out some plot-holes that yeh, are plot holes. If I ever did a second version of this I’d be sure to fix them. I really hope I didn’t offend anyone about the whole Hypertrichosis lives in woods thing. Thinking about it it gives nothing to the story. The next installment is about the Banshee, and I hope it’s magianally better.

    1. Though I didn’t really enjoy this pasta, I am still looking forward to the next one. You definitely have talent and a story about a banshee would definitely be something fresh. I’ll keep my eyes open.:)

      1. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

        My mistake actually, the next one is by the Miracle City author and is about Frankensteins monster.

    2. I don’t think it was that bad but even as you pointed out it had some plot-holes. I liked how you got his way of talking through to the text. 8/10

  9. Am I the only one who grinned when Larry said “Nothing personal”. Anyways I thought this pasta was good but not all that creepy mostly because you felt bad for the monster I still enjoyed it though and look forward to your next story :).

  10. “Never judge someone by how they look, there may be scars and reasons in their past to why they are like this ;)”

  11. He…lives in the woods? Why? That…doesn’t even begin to make sense. So he’s an orphan with a medical condition, but instead of taking refuge with any number of state services designed to look after him he goes off to sleep in a hollow log every night? Oh, but for some reason he still goes to school. Who registered him in the first place I can’t imagine.

    Although I guess that makes about as much sense as him spending the next fifteen years filing his teeth as part of a revenge plot. Because, ya know, people with hypertrichosis are literally monsters. I know what you’re saying: “No, the point was that it’s the bullies who are the real monsters!” Except…hypertrichosis lives like a wild-child alone in the forest and grows up to be a homicidal Bigfoot, so, no, actually, I’d say according to this story he’s kind of literally a monster too. …which is a tiny bit insensitive.

    I’m sorry to be so negative, but this feels a touch silly to me.

  12. i like this pasta, i thought it got the point across. Bullying sucks, and you never know when it might come back to haunt you!!

  13. If you were ever bullied in school you love these stories. Yeah, “What comes around goes around”.

  14. This one was interesting, if very predictable. From the opening scenes, it was pretty clear this was moving towards a revenge story with a play on the idea of a werewolf. I like how the animalistic aspect was handled in the story, showing him as a mild individual who gets backed into a figurative corner and lashes out, becoming the animal the bullies have always treated him as. That was really nice.

    The narrator has an interesting tone, very short and clipped. I think in the introduction all those very short sentences were somewhat grating, but as the story moved on it smoothed out. The dialogue read as a bit cliched,fitting a lot of the stereotypical “bully talk,” but it also sounded like something kids might actually say in such situations. Maybe it was just that there were too many of those classic bully lines, not that they were there. I think Larry’s last bit of dialogue was really well placed, kind of like a superhero (or supervillian?) tag line. Also, as a note, the transition between Razor’s beating of Larry with the balls and Larry leaving to the woods was really sudden and didn’t seem to fit. I wasn’t sure where we were going or what had happened because it was so abrupt.

    There were a few typos, and I think a close proofread and polishing time would benefit this story for any future projects. Overall, it was a classic tale of revenge, and it did that well, but some of the story telling techniques could be better used to tell the story in a less predictable way. 6/10

  15. All too predictable . Read the first 4 lines and the last 4 and you could probably guess what happens in the middle

    1. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

      Well you must have execellent deduction skills as I didn’t even know where it was going by the first 4 lines.
      Plus, the first 4 lines were just him saying he’s poor and his name. Not too revealing I think. But I don’t mean to sound like a dick so I’ll be quiet now.

  16. First let me say that I think it’s phenomenal to see another anti-bullying pasta. I would love to see that message spread far and wide. Sadly though, I still had to give a low rating. I knew from the beginning where the story was going and I wasn’t surprised or scared at all by the ending. Not even the part when he said “Nothing personal.” I hope that in the next installment of this series you can deliver something new and fresh. I know you have the ability.

  17. this is just another boring bullying pasta, that all end the same way:the bullied kid kills the bullies, and usually turn into a serial killer as well. At least you did something original by having it from the bullies point of view.
    and how are you telling the story if you’re dead?
    6/10

  18. I love this pasta.
    The message in this is good for kids: don’t bully someone because they are different. They might just kill you.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top