Advertisement
Please wait...

Hermit



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

(Based on a real life premonition.)

On the eve of his parents death Alex sat down at the dining table and poured himself a glass of crystalline red wine. He swirled it around in his mouth before swallowing and grimaced at sour grape-like taste that died on his tongue. Alex had never been much of a drinker ‘but then again’, he admitted to himself ‘I was always going to need some help today’. He shuffled in his seat lethargically to look at the dust-covered picture that hung from the wrought iron fireplace. In his mind he could see the hole that he had made in the sepia photo, burned through by three hundred and sixty five days of wonton staring.

His folks were gone, ridden a car into the great here-after, and deep down he knew he’d have to accept it one of these days, but for Alex the grief had not faded.

Advertisements

Far off in the depths of the oaken rafters a small snap resounded through the whole house. A clock chimed for one in the morning.

Otherwise the house was deathly quiet, and for a young man scarcely out of his teenage years the absence of sound rang louder in his ears than his preferred drum and bass solos. He hadn’t felt like listening to music in a long, long while, or doing anything else for that matter except try and re-order his heat oppressed brain. An entire year had come and gone without Alex ever leaving the family home.

Had Alex been born in any other time this would have been an impossible feat, as the hunter-gatherer instinct would have been his only recourse for daily nutrition but with the introduction of welfare cheques and cooked meals that could be delivered to your doorstep, Alex discovered he could withdraw from the world entirely. He could take up a permanent residence inside his head. Resigning himself to yet another evening of moroseness, Alex slumped down into his fathers old chair and felt for the familiar wrinkles in the leather or perhaps, if he were lucky, a handprint. The tragedy was that Alex had been a very active boy until his loss. How he used to run when his folks were still living. Alex remembered how he was able to for miles, and how proud it made his parents to see that Alex had placed a great deal of his time on fitness. ‘Great work ma boy’ his gruff old dad had said to him, a smile wide on his whiskered face. ‘We’ll make an athlete out of you yet, don-cha-know-it, only don’t forget your pa when you make it big!’

Alex sat up, faster than any movement he had made in the past seven months. This was a waste of life, and it was only now, on the anniversary of his perpetuated misery had he come to realise it. ‘This wasn’t the way his parents wanted him to live’ he had thought, and he intended to put that straight. Alex pulled up his grey tracksuit and headed to the green front door. Stretching out a hand, Alex had begun to notice a few things that struck him as odd. Like how whenever he’d look over at his parent’s photo, he couldn’t see them like he could see himself. In the photo, Alex had seen, a pacemaker suspended a meter and a half in thin air. Just a smallish plastic and metal pump floating in front of a Yorkshire countryside backdrop, and floating above that was a set of wickedly grinning dentures. These were the non-organic parts of his father, that and his mothers’ replacement hip; toward the left side of the picture was all Alex could see of them now. Alex placed a hand on the brass handle, ready to feel the cold night air on his face.

What had also seemed odd was that his memories of their deaths often changed. Sometimes he was sobbing uncontrollably into the sofa, allowing the phone to drop out of his hand when it called upon him to identify the bodies. Other times, he was there, out on the road, watching through a windscreen awash with streaky raindrops.

Advertisements

No. No, that wasn’t right. Sometimes he felt like he wasn’t witnessing two bodies flying over the dashboard, and land crumpling into a broken heap some twenty yards away. Sometimes he felt like he had only seen one. The latch clicked but Alex held the door in place, the full terror of his circumstances gripping at his insides. He took a sharp, quiet breath inward and let the final thought drift through his mind.

Advertisements

And sometimes it felt like he wasn’t moving his legs when he walked around the house, couldn’t remember how and when the delivery man had dropped off the takeaways, and why his internet was always dead.

That word. Had he been on the road that night?

Advertisements

Alex opened the door outward. And saw nothing. An inky black fog as far as he could fathom, was expanding and contracting in every direction. No houses, no cars, no street lamps. All Alex could see was a barren space, as wide as the imagination, and as blank as slate.

Slowly, Alex closed the door on the infinite void and let the memories of the past nine minutes fade out from his mind. Just like always, it was too much to bear. So he forgot. He would always forget. And so for the 8,193,495,194th year in a row, Alex locked his front door, and walked back into purgatory.

Credit To – Urbsun Psychic.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

34 thoughts on “Hermit”

  1. Tim Burton did this concept better as he had professionals and 90mins to create an atmosphere and build up characters. However not totally lame just undercooked.

  2. It was interesting, I was a bit confused towards the end, but the confusion faded once I understood what had happened. Nice story

  3. I think the idea is that he died along tme ago, but he refuses to accept it. So he’s stayed in Purgatory and refuses to move onto the after life, and he makes himself stuck in a between life and death limbo state.

    1. I understand what you mean, sir, but, Wontons are served in soup, and I believe that even though possible, it must be difficult for people to deliver soup.

  4. All the pastas here are shitty now because sayainunderworld made her blog private so people who submit good “pastas” dont anymore. Damn thieves.

    1. As far as I’m aware, nobody here has been stealing from Saya. She’s actually on the shortlist of sites that have requested that we never use their material, which I’m led to believe resulted from an issue many years ago when commenters here were rude & abusive towards her in the comments (since the pieces were removed long before my time, I cannot actually verify this, but it’s what I was told). This means that when people do try to submit with her site as the source material, it is automatically rejected. It’s also part of the reason why I changed the submission rules and asked that people only submit their own work, because I didn’t want to get into that kind of situation myself.

      But thanks for the accusations.

  5. Wonderful. Reminds me of Season 2 of “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya”. The differences are visual at least. It’s wonderful others do see that this is a possible outcome. Maybe not the whole years ahead because it’d take WAY more trauma than losing parents to have some sort of powers to stop time and wallow in sadness. Thanks for the Pasta and have a nice day or night.

  6. Meh. Interesting concept, but the way that it was told seems a little weird to me. I had to read it a couple times to understand it.

  7. Ummm, O.K.
    As a fan mainly of physical horror, rather than morose Yorkshire based tales based 8 billion years in the future, I find it hard to enjoy this, and I think it might be a sort of specialist thing that doesn’t really belong on creepypasta.

    In the right place though, (god knows where that would be), it would be really cool, and the writings definitely deep and visualistically brilliant. So well done.

    5/10

    1. >Says the piece is well done.
      >Praises it for everything other than the fact that “it does not seem to belong on creepypasta.”
      >Fails to understand that the notion that “the story does not belong here” is completely opinionated.
      >Gives rating of 5/10.
      >Is idiot.

      1. > be me
        > be reading this crappypasta
        > notice an idiot writing as if it’s 4chan
        > Even writes name as anonymous
        > needs to understand THEY don’t belong on creepypasta

        hey /b/ro, go back to the 4chan and please understand that people are allowed to be opinionated as these comment boxes are indeed for opinions.

        1. Also yeah, they weren’t that good at explaining why they gave it a 5/10… but do they REALLY need to? Like seriously? If you had time to criticise their criticism you had time to put forward an argument of your own as to why the story was good or bad. Which you didn’t… making you just as bad, actually a little worse because at least they tried.

    2. You don’t understand then, it’s not based 8 million years in the future, the time lapse of reality for his family could literally be two seconds after his death, to say that number of years is to describe the perspective view of how long he had been in purgatory.. A time span that is literally unimaginable.. It seemed like forever.. So relativity and stuff.. When you read this and think, oh this is dumb and in the future.. No.. Its just shows a perspective of an experience after death..

  8. I became a little confused, but mostly due, I think, to the writing style. It seemed to be between third person, then back in his head. I’m not surprised by where the story went, but I like the Beetlegeuse visual when the door opened.

    1. Also. The amount of years he’s been in purgatory is a little ridiculous. This would make the reader an insane amount of years into the future.

  9. Not a bad effort. More melancholy than frightening, and there were some strange lapses in grammar here and there (…He swirled it around in his mouth before swallowing and grimaced at sour grape-like taste that died on his tongue…)
    , but it was a solid if unspectacular descriptive piece (I hesitate to say ‘story’ because it isnt a story as such).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top