Advertisement
Please wait...

5 Haunted Places in the UK – Spooky Places for Horror Enthusiasts



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

Even though autumn has almost gone and Halloween has passed already, we know that horror lovers are always on the lookout for paranormal places around the world. 

Today, we decided to explore British ancient castles, houses, halls, and other places that are renowned for their dark history and surprise visitors with their spooky horror stories. 

Interestingly, England is famous for its paranormal activity and therefore, this country has plenty of haunted places that can appeal to any horror enthusiast around the world. So, if you’re considering visiting Britain this winter or if you’re already there, our quick guide will probably inspire you to visit these 5 haunted places.

Advertisements

1. The Hippodrome Casino, London

Let’s start our exploration with one of the oldest and scariest casinos in Europe that still operates. The Hippodrome Casino in London is considered one of the most beloved places for gambling enthusiasts from around the world. In fact, this venue never gets old and most importantly, never fails to satisfy the needs of the demanding UK gamblers when they want to make bets in a brick-and-mortar casino.

Its appearance is indeed the thing that makes The Hippodrome Casino so unique. The building was first opened in 1900. Today, rumors say that it’s haunted by the ghost of a gambler who lost everything he had and committed suicide right after the incident in the casino. That, in addition to the spooky interior of the building, indeed makes this casino a must-visit place in England for anyone who’s on a quest for haunted spots in the United Kingdom. And while the tale of the Hippodrome Casino brings forth echoes from the past, UK gamblers of today tend to favour online casinos, especially the ones that accept PayPal in the UK.

2. Blickling Hall, Norwich

If you happen to be in Norwich while visiting the UK, Blickling Hall is another must-visit haunted place. It’s a Jacobean mansion that was once home to the Boleyns. Anne Boleyn, Queen of England, whose life tragically ended, was born there. Her controversial execution might be the reason why there are still rumors that her spirit never found justice and continued living in her birthplace — Blickling Hall mansion. 

According to the visitors, the eerie voices get extremely frequent around the anniversary of her execution, which is May 19th. Other than voices, a few people reported seeing ghost-like creatures that were dressed in white. The reason why they think this place is haunted by Add Boleyn is that the ghost they encounter has the head clutched on the side, which indicates the way the Queen was executed on Tower Green in 1536.

3. Red Lion Inn, Wiltshire

Generally, ancient pubs are considered some of the most spooky places in the UK. But one specific pub that we didn’t want to miss from this list of haunted places is the Red Lion Inn in Wiltshire.

Advertisements

It’s almost a 400-year-old building from the 16th century that has hosted multiple travelers from all corners of the globe. Considering this, it’s not surprising that this place has witnessed a wide range of tragic histories of pilgrims and travelers. 

Advertisements

The most mysterious story related to this place is that of a woman named Florrie, who was killed by her husband during the English Civil Wars. The reason was infidelity — as cliche as it sounds. Back then, having affairs was pretty common during times of war when husbands went to fight for uncertain years. However, Florrie’s husband returned, found out about her lover, and stabbed her. Today, as visitors claim, her ghost is still in the pub and haunts the area around the well where she was killed. 

4. Berry Pomeroy Castle, Devon

Red Lion Inn isn’t the only place in Britain haunted by a dead and unfortunate woman. As the legend says, Berry Pomeroy Castle, which is located in Devon and is close to Totness, is also haunted by not just one but two women — the so-called White Lady and Blue Lady.

These female ghosts are its residents from the 14th century who died tragically. Among them, the White Lady is the spirit of Lady Eleanor Pomeroy, who was killed by her sister as a result of starvation. Surprisingly, the identity of the Blue Lady is unknown. All we know about her is that she was the daughter of a Norman man who killed her and now she tries to take revenge on men around the castle.

Advertisements

5. Mary King’s Close, Edinburgh

And the final haunted place in the UK that we recommend for horror seekers is Mary King’s Close in Edinburgh. Actually, it’s considered the most haunted place in all of Scotland because of its mysterious history. 

The first time people noticed a ghost around this place was back in the 17th century when a great part of the population of Edinburgh died because of the plague epidemic or the so-called “Black Death.” The disease spread in Mary King’s Close because of the unsanitary conditions. The visitors have reported seeing ghosts of different people in the dark chambers of the closet. Surprisingly, many of them even leave sweets and dolls for the ghost of a 10-year-old girl who was the victim of the plague. 

Wrapping Up

All in all, the United Kingdom is a real hub for haunted places. In this article, we’ve just listed five of our favorite spooky attractions. But, luckily, there’s plenty more to explore. Unfortunately, we’ll never know for sure whether the ghosts actually haunt these eerie places. Still, one thing is for sure — if you’re an adventurous spirit who’s not afraid of ghosts and wants to explore paranormal activities, then it’s definitely worth exploring.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top