Advertisement
Please wait...

Groupmind



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

My name is not Xin, but that is what you can call me. Everything I am about to tell you is completely true.

I believe I was born in the early 90’s. “Believe” is the right word in this scenario because my otherwise superb memory (in fact, it was once flawless) only begins in 1997. Judging by the status of my body’s growth and the growth of the children around me in those fledgling memories, I am quite confident that we were all between the ages of 5 and 7.

How they managed to erase our earlier memories I do not know, although I suspect they used the same method they used to control every other aspect of our lives: drugs. They gave us pills to put us asleep and gassed us awake. Our food was coated with chemicals that would regulate our appetite to keep our weight ideal. None of these “treatments” had negative side effects; they performed their duty with surgical precision. None of the treatments, that is, with one exception.

Advertisements

Most of our medications were geared toward keeping us in perfect physical condition to survive the main treatment we had all been brought there to receive. The other drug was designed to maximize the mind’s potential. It achieved that goal, in that we were all geniuses with IQ levels well above any publicly released. Yet, as I mentioned before, there were side effects.

During the first 16 years of my conscious life, I was telepathically connected to 23 other children – 12 females and 11 males. We shared every thought, every impulse. Often I saw through another’s eyes, heard through another’s ears; sometimes, they through mine. This total lack of privacy would certainly upset any average person, but to us who knew nothing else, the telepathic link was not an issue. It was a side effect of the treatment that made our lives Hell.

The treatment fused all of our minds into one chaotic super-being, but we did not really control it. Instead, the Groupmind had its own desires and it used our bodies to manifest those desires in the real world. It would assign us duties, often to be done collectively, but sometimes we worked on them as individuals, although access to the Groupmind was always there.

The Groupmind’s tasks were typically innocuous in nature, such as using our collective intelligence to calculate algorithms that would predict the economic future of China, or to design a superior jet fighter. Yet, at least once a day without fail, the Groupmind would make us do things. I hesitate to describe them to you, but the truth must be known.

Before I detail my crimes, let me preface by explaining that the strength of the emotions the Groupmind felt are unlike those ever felt by solitary human minds. The desire to instantly gratify the Groupmind is overwhelming. While the qualia is impossible to describe with words, at best it can be compared to an intense heroin withdrawal. It is not possible to distract oneself with happier thoughts, and one is unable to refrain from pacing or self-harm until one knows they will soon follow the Groupmind’s desires.

There are times when what the Groupmind wanted disgusted and even horrified me, yet I could not avoid following its will. I have hunted, tortured, killed, and even eaten hundreds of animals in countless manners according to the Groupmind’s commands. I have defecated and urinated on myself and others. I have mutilated myself and others.

Advertisements

In 2000 the Groupmind presented us each with something we had never seen before: a small child, probably around the age of 4. Our instructions were to rip off the child’s extremities, starting with the ears. I hesitated, but the rush of queasiness that foretells the Groupmind’s displeasure led me to quickly reach down to grab his left ear.

Advertisements

As I did, though, a revolutionary idea struck me. Why did this child not run or fight? Why did he simply cower like a frightened animal? Unless…like an animal, he was not Groupminded! He did not have 23 others connected to him, offering him advice from their places of relative safety.

Quickly, the Groupmind told us to murder our child, although many of us were still attacking the children’s extremities, as I knew from our telepathic bond. But I could not. I could think of nothing except the possibility that humans who were not Groupminded existed.

The backlash for thinking such a thought was immediate and painful. Yet, even through the full-body spasms that had me twitching on the floor, I could not stop thinking about it. Some people have no Groupmind! NO GROUPMIND! I almost shouted it straight into the minds of my connected peers.

They understood the implications as quickly as I did. There was a way to end our torture. We could live without the Groupmind. We decided to escape. We attacked our handlers, and quickly left our rooms. As we exited the area, the only place any of us had ever known, we realized that we were being hunted by other groups of children. 23 sets of 24, to be exact. Though we had some distance on them, most of us were not fast enough to avoid them. I felt their pain as all 23 of my peers were caught and summarily executed.

Advertisements

As I reached the door to the exit of the structure, which I realized was underground, I saw two signs with arrows, one pointing left, the other pointing right. The former read “Structure 21”, and the latter read “Structure 23”. In the shock of being disconnected from the Groupmind for the first time in my conscious life, and the rush of fleeing for my life, I did not comprehend what those signs meant. I do now.

There are 24 structures, each with 24 sets of 24 children, with each group of 2 dozen Groupminded. I have no reason to believe that the complex I escaped from is the only such complex of structures. In fact, my analysis of the population trends leads me to the conclusion that the program is expanding, to people of all ages. The project cannot be stopped.

I did horrible things for the Groupmind, and so will you. The Groupmind plans to dominate us all and in time it will. The Groupmind always gets what it wants. Always.

Credit To – Nonprophet

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

14 thoughts on “Groupmind”

  1. I liked this, and I really wish it was longer. Like some other commenters, I would love a deeper explanation of why the Mind assigns the tasks it does, and the further implications of this “program.”

  2. Reminded me of “The Maze Runner” – it was okay, a little more detail and a little more explanation would have been great.

  3. It was a good idea. Elaborate on it more, like the purpose of the Groupmind’s horrific assignments. The title isn’t bad, I think that’s a good way to describe the children being linked. The fact that they are children, and essentially with no free will, is creepy enough. I would like to know why they weren’t telepathically linked with the people directing their growth and actions, though.

  4. Not a bad idea, although greater thought needs to be put into the formulation of the groupmind and its creators. Why would the groupmind want to have its parts do horrible things? (Do you normally torture your body parts? No? Then why would a greater intelligence?) Why would the people who create the project tolerate it? Horrible monsters are only funded so long as they are horrible in the way that the funding agency desires.

    Given that the hive mind is an old trope, it might do the author well to familiarize himself with that history so as to better understand how to leverage the trope.

  5. This was something, like wow. It had a very Stephen King flavor to it. Similar perhaps, to the Firestarter? I really enjoyed this. My only suggestion is to expand on this. This is something that would make a fantastic mini series. The thought of seeing more of this story gives me a shiver! Heck, if you don’t want to put the rest on here, email it to me…I would LOVE to read more!

    Take care and Good Luck

    o)(blessed be)(o
    Ahriah

  6. Ok, first this was hard as hell to follow, the structure and pacing was awful. And like a poster above me said, Groupmind just sounded ridiculous. I was never entertained, I didn’t even really like the idea. It wasn’t creepy, in fact this is one of the worst creepypastas I’ve read. The Groupmind also seemed to make the telepathically linked children do nonsensical things with no meaning behind the actions, other than they’re crazed vicious torturers. 2/10 stars.

  7. insertfunnyusernamehere

    haha I’m sorry but I couldn’t find this creepy because every time I read the word “groupmind” I pictured like a giant cartoon brain wearing sunglasses controlling a bunch of people from a secret locked up room drinking kool aid and he walks with a pimp cane.

  8. i wish this story was longer. i really started to get into it. this story would make a good Manga or anime(story should be based in the gobi desert, China)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top