Advertisement
Please wait...

Creepy Bridge on Mumbai Expressway



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

To begin with, I am Ankit Saxena living in Mumbai, India. I have newly joined as a Consultant in Capgemini. I am kind of an atheist and don’t believe in any supernatural but these past few days, there have been some incidents which have shaken my belief, if not shattered it completely. And when I am sharing this on creepy-pasta, I am not putting a story, but a portion of my life, to have the answers which have eluded me, as I believe on this forum there are many people who have faced similar situations in their lives and can really help me out. Now I would like to share the incidents or rather some creepy incidents which occurred with me in these past few days.

I live alone in a 1-Room-Kitchen Apartment in a sub-urban area of New Mumbai, known as Koperkhairne, this area being very far from my Office, so we use Transport facility provided by the Organization for our smooth travel. It’s nearly an hour journey, which goes from crowded city roads to a long stretch of Expressway to my organization. On the stretch to Expressway there is a 200-300 mtr long bridge which is over a small stream of water which comes from the Gulf between Mumbai and New-Mumbai, this bridge end with a toll-booth and then the Western Express Highway.
We have our working hours fixed at nine and half hour every day. Failing to complete it, means a negative point against you in annual grading or appraisal as we call it. This incident is from some two weeks back on a Tuesday, I returned from a week holiday and I had lot of work. Normally I leave office at around 9:45, but that day I stayed back to complete my back-logs. Around 10:00, I was finished with most of my work, So out of boredom, I decided to go to a nearby mall (R-City) for dinner, thinking that I would be able to return for the next bus which is at 10:45. But unfortunately I was able to return around 10:50 and I could see the bus leaving in front of my eyes. I enquired and got to know that there is still a bus left which is at 11:15. I went inside to find, that the bus was already there and boarded it.

The bus took off at sharp 11:15, I was the only traveler, other person was the driver, there was a cool night breeze and I felt sleepy after a long day of work, so I dozed off. It was at around toll-booth when I got up, I looked at my watch which told me it was around 11:40. I rubbed my eyes and lean my head outside window to have the awesome view of the area from the bridge, with the town lights on one end and shining water from moon-light below. As we reached the middle of the bridge, I saw a laborer standing near a light-post, I could see that he was completely drenched, as we were closing on him, I could feel that the area was rather cold, maybe because of water body below. I felt sorry for the laborer to work in those harsh conditions. As the bus was passing him, and he was just parallel to me, he suddenly took his head up and looked at the bus, I felt something strange about him as his eyes meet mine, I can swear that I felt goose flesh going in my body, his face looked so devoid of expressions almost lifeless. I took my eyes down feeling sorry for him, as bus crossed some distance, I turned my head back to see him, but there was no-one standing there. I mean I could very well see the whole portion of the bridge from that point, but he was not there.

Advertisements

At that moment I knew that this was something different, I enquired to the driver and he reacted as if it’s a regular affair, He said in almost dismissive tone that, it was one of the ghosts, which people sometime see on this bridge. For the first time in my life, I had my heart in my mouth. He further told me that it is believed that some laborers died during the construction of this bridge, when an Iron beam fall on them while working below it during Monsoon season, some of them fell into the raging stream and their bodies were never found, the incident was hushed up, but since then some people have reported sighting of these laborers, including the Contractor who owned the contract of construction of that bridge, it is said that he was so terrified that he never returned back to the sight, even for the ceremony when the Bridge went operational. That night I had terrible nightmares all night long.

Now this incident is of this Wednesday, I was asked to sit late that day by my manager as UAT (User acceptance testing) is going on, and unfortunately I had to stay that day also till 11:15, I boarded the bus, but my heart was already pouncing. I saw one more traveler with me, which was kind of a relief, there was a heavy rainfall as this being the Monsoon season in India. I had kept in my mind that I will not look outside my window during that stretch of journey. At around 11:50, we were on the tollbooth, I was on the second seat, the other person was on the first seat and he was sleeping in-fact snoring. The driver stopped the bus after just crossing the tollbooth. I asked him, why he has stopped the bus.

Advertisements

He told me that he has to renew his monthly pass for this tollbooth, I insisted that he should do it next day, but he told me that at this time there is no rush, and next day he has an afternoon shift, when it will be heavily crowded. He took off from the ‘driver’ gate, bridge was just 5-6 meter from where, the bus was standing & it was still raining cats and dogs. I closed my window as well as my eyes while put on my earplugs listening to ‘Teri Galliyan’ a new hit song from a Bollywood movie to distract myself. It was not even a minute, when I felt that somebody was knocking, I pull out my ear plugs and saw a person standing below my window with his hand out, begging. I never wanted to open my window, because in back of my mind I knew he could be a ghost, but somehow I couldn’t stop myself from opening it. He was just staring at me with his hand out, I took a ten rupee note and said, “Take it quick, or the note will get wet”, but he didn’t took it.

At the same moment, I was shook by the other person from the first seat, he asked me who I was talking to and when I turned back there was no-one, I told him what I saw, he was scared too. The driver returned and I told him that what had happened, this time he replied with a serious look, and he said that he was not asking for money, but he was asking my hand, but he didn’t told me what he meant, I asked him many times, but he never told me the meaning of his statement.

Advertisements

Now I am frightened, as I have no idea, what it means, does this have happened to anyone else too, on that bridge. I am now frightened enough even when the bus crosses that place in daylight. If anybody has any experience or suggestions, what this meant, then I would be very grateful.

Credit To – Ankit Saxena

Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

54 thoughts on “Creepy Bridge on Mumbai Expressway”

  1. Hey ankit, Prathmesh here from Mumbai…. The story u wrote is a creepy one… I wanna knw more about it… Can u contact me?

  2. Bro even i live in mumbai. Nice story infact i ve heard about many such places here. ANKIT SAXENA NICE JOB BRO. TOO COOL N CREEPY STORY

  3. Wow. Honestly if you’re going to take the time to write out an intricate story (fictional or real) at least take the time to use proper grammar. If I was going to recount a story in Hindi I’d at least get it proof-read before posting. Seriously, I’m not even half way finished with the story and I already don’t want to…this is just frustrating me at this point. 2/10 just because I’m Indian ^_^

  4. Ankit. I am so glad I came across this story. I work in TCS,Mumbai, Raveline fort. I took this dreadful bus one day and witnessed something similar. But ever since that happened, i started to witness strange things in my home.

  5. Mrs. Bridgeghost

    It happened to me too.
    One day, i was using that Bus, and some guy knocked on the window.
    I gave him my hand, and how we are happily married for almost 5 years, and have two lovely children.

  6. Hi, Ankit.

    Have you thought of a transfer from your company? It might help.

    As for charms and the like, I really have no belief in them. I usually pray to God if anything of the sort happens to me (and it has), and it helps. But in your case, praying isn’t going to help, as you are somewhat an atheist.

    As for the hand, DO NOT TAKE IT! Listen to the bus driver. I wouldn’t want to in any case. But what were your feelings in the two incidents you mentioned above? Scared, sad? Terrified for your life?

    It might help in terms of why the ghost/spirit is reaching out to you.

  7. Hi! I would say to you that you should not interact with him if you see him again. As someone wrote before me, he could be angerd because his body never was found. It could have angry the spirit, so they seek revenge. Close your eyes if you have to travel over the bridge again at night, and dont look after him.

  8. For protection from these kinds of things. Have salt in your pocket (or on your person somewhere) as well as the herbs: sage, blackberry, cumin, or Mullein. You can mix it all together and put it in a pouch. These are all considered very protective towards any negative spirit or energy.

    Try to ignore these spirits as you cross the bridge, acknowledging them attracts them.

    As for your sleepless nights, you can sprinkle salt and dab olive oil on every entry way into your home or room. Angelica, sage (when burned) or St. John’s Wort (when burned) protect homes as well. Negative energies (fear, anger, sadness) attract negative spirits, so attempt to calm down and be positive while in your home.

    Best of luck, interactions like these are scary but it is very easy to protect yourself.

  9. I’m not sure what to believe considering this is a creepypasta site…but I believe this is well done. The unique English grammar made it feel like I was actually listening to someone telling me about the experience. Let’s face it, perfect grammar isnt always the best way to get your point across. So on that note: very believable. If this is true and you have seen a ghost, remember this phrase: Curiosity killed the cat. =^×^=

  10. “Interest story!Thanks for sharing!”

    This guy is scared to death and all you can think about is how entertaining the story is. Nice going. At this rate, you’ll end up in the International Jerks Convention in a couple of years.

  11. In all truth, if you are seeking some actual help, you should not be trying to find answers on a creepypasta forum. I would advise you to report this incident to the Indian Paranormal Society and get a GRIP Team to check out if there really is something you need to fear. You are never going to get helpful answers to truly complex situations on a website where horror stories are just casual entertainment.

  12. Ankit I’m usually a skeptic on things like this unless I see them for myself. However I believe this happened to you and I wish I could tell you what to do. As you may know many different countries have different ways of dealing with the dead and their spirits. As an American my advise is never take his hand as I believe if he is a vengeful spirit he might try to take you with him. If he is a sad spirit taking his hand will do nothing. If he is a lost spirit then recovering his remains might put him to rest. My advise is if you choose to pursue this ghost know the story well and see if there is anything you can do to help him. If he turns out to be a violent or malevolent I would suggest leaving it alone. If I lived in India I would gladly help you because I’m fascinated by ghost and supernatural phenomenon. I’m also very interested in cryptozoology which doesn’t apply here. But please keep me updated on any finding you have so I can follow this story. But in all seriousness please be careful. I don’t want anything happening to you over this.

  13. This incident happened at 5:00 PM.
    The truth of this incident is a car crashes into the bridge while the were working, 5 people died in this event, @ 5:00 PM

  14. Hello, so while reading the last part of your story, I started thinking, and mabye he was asking for help so he could rest in piece. I know I`m no expert but thats just my opinion. In most cases, the gosts just want to be freed.

  15. Sadistica Houndsblood

    My boyfriend lives in the north of India. Since I am so used to how he writes, I didn’t really notice a lot of the grammatical errors. I liked the story, just wish the author had included more background on the bridge.

  16. Hi, Ankit. I think you are very brave for putting your story up on this forum. A lot of people are afraid to talk about their experiences with ghosts and other entities because they are afraid others will think they are crazy or will make fun of them (myself included). But now that I have read your story, I know that there are people out there who are willing to take that chance and share their stories, I feel much better talking about my own paranormal experiences, so I thank you for helping me feel better about sharing my own story.

    Also, although I think it would be smart to be cautious in the case of your story, I would like to let you know that not all spirits or ghosts are like the one in your story. Some ghosts, like the one I have had experiences with, truly want to help us and/ or protect us. The ghost I have had experiences with has mostly made herself known to me when I am either very upset or sad, or when I am very anxious or worried. Although I have never actually seen her except for an outline of her body, I know she is there to comfort me and help me through hard times. Even though I have only heard her speak once or twice, and even though I don’t even know her name, I know I can trust her and I consider her one of my best friends. Just thought I’d share this with you. Sorry I can’t help you out more with your situation.

  17. Hi Ankit , ignore the self-appointed grammar police. I think the best thing for you to do is try to forget what has happened to you, and if you see this ghost again just ignore it.

  18. Ankit, if this is true, I have some advice. Use the name of Jesus Christ next time you are scared. Whether you believe in Him or not, His name holds power. I have heard accounts (not from this site but from mediums and demonologists) that His name will cause unclean spirits, demons, Jinn etc to flee. But you must say it with conviction. God Speed.

  19. I advise, just out of superstition, do not interact or look him in the eye for a long period of time. My reason is that any interaction even if it’s not physically touching him might invite this “Ghost” or possibly a “Demon” to haunt you. Be safe.

  20. Isn’t this a place for stories… Did this really happen or not? I really didn’t like this at all between the grammar and stuff.. This seems more like a reddit post

  21. Hi ankit…i am a mumbaikar too. i’ve experienced these like creepy shit..my life until now…i am not much aged but a young adult..about your creepypasta…i’ve heard about the bridge accident my father told me about it…actually he travels to that route almost everyday…after reading your pasta (after 2nd incident that man tried to reach) my eyes immediately got wet…believe it or not i sense things like sorrow or any emotions of any dead just by reading it…or hearing it…it feels like i am connected to them somehow..about 1st incident:the drenched worker…you saw was the 1st indication that he wanted you to see him…and 2nd incident a man tries to reach like he is begging…was indicating that he wants you to help…(accident story says some bodies were never found) as many religions have a way to treat their dead…christian’s and islamic’s bury their dead and as a hindu you know we set them on fire…and ashes released in river or air…
    these are “Atriptha Atma” lost souls…those souls who haven’t attained their way to freedom… or “Mukti”
    these indications are just they are asking for help…they want to be free and rest in peace…but as we know time matters those bodies would have been perished until now…leaving bones or even nothing…behind
    the only thing you can do is…get used to it…or pray for them…to god…we pray not to see them…but we must actually pray for them so they can attain their freedom or find peace…thanks for sharing it…your pasta meant something to me… :) be safe and fearless

  22. Okay so I live in Mumbai and study in Pune. I have been on the Expressway several times before and i want to thank you for sharing this story. Like you I used to be an Atheist but recent events change my beliefs a bit. Thank you for telling me about the Hand thing. Phew! i do give money to beggars at times so, it would be horrible if i gave this ghost dude my hand instead.
    Knowing this place personally gives me a lot of creeps.

  23. Great story! I love that it’s set in another country and the author’s descriptions make me imagine it well! Very creepy!

  24. When a person who is dead reaches out for you that means that they want to carry you with them. Meaning if you would’ve taken his hand it would’ve mean instant death for you.

  25. Hi Friends, I know the grammar in the incident was not perfect, but I was telling you guys my miseries, and at this moment, grammar is my least concern, this incident happened nearly a 20-25 days ago, and since then there is not a single night when I have slept peacefully.

    I am too scared to cross that bridge, although I told my parents and they sent me some protection charm n all, yet still thinking of it give me shivers.

    I have although done a very short research on it, and will share with you guys.

    1. Hey, don’t worry about the grammar at all. The recording of your experience was perfectly understandable. If you can, attempt finding the good in this predicament. Be careful as this could be potentially dangerous but instead of only focusing on the fearful aspect, it is extremely interesting and can possibly be viewed as such. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out :)

    2. Anyone that is complaining about your English is just being dumb. There are a few errors but I understood everything perfectly fine. Also, I would avoid any more contact with that spirit. Some spirits are only allowed to harm you if you give them permission. That may be why he’s asking for your hand. He might be bitter because his death was just swept under the rug. I’d be careful if any of what you’re saying is true.

  26. The ghost was asking for you hand, as in YOU, ypu were lucky it didn’t snatched it when you were giving him money, the people who die from accidents seek revenge, if it hasn’t happened yet, it could start with YOU, be safe..:)

  27. This section is for paranormal stories, not for English language and grammar lessons.. I could have went without those comments.

    1. “Interest story!Thanks for sharing!”

      This guy is scared to death and all you can think about is how entertaining the story is. Nice going.

  28. Wow, he didn’t look dead? I hear it’s rare to see a ghost that looks so alive…still, I would not follow one anywhere.Some may want to take you with them.I heard a pretty convincing one about a ghost trying to throw some guy out of a high window.

  29. Hi, my first comment on here ever. I believe that while he may have died on the job, he could be lingering because his body was never retrieved. Whatever you do, DONT interact with him. He could be luring you to the river below- hence why he wants to take your hand. He could be harmless but from now on, it’s best to just not interact with him. You never know, if possible arrange your schedule so you can work during only the day.

  30. Swirly I understand constructive criticism…but to bash this kid completely because of a few UNDERSTANDABLE mistakes is just….an asshole move to be frank about it. What part of INDIA did you not get? I think his way of “speaking” is pretty unique….and is damn better than most Americans I’ve heard.

  31. So the beginning had a ton of information that wasn’t given super clearly.
    You also have trouble with capitalizing proper nouns. The word “office” is not a proper noun, even if you’re relating it to a real name company. Also using words like the need to be oncluded, you can’t just say ” as bus crossed the street…”
    Bad English.:/

    1. English is one of the hardest languages to translate.
      You’d have a hard time with it too if it wasn’t your first language

    2. I, as a teacher of English, and a speaker of 3 languages, must say the important thing is to understand and be understood. This guy told a good story and English is generally a second language in India. However, if you feel like writing something perfectly in Hindu, or punjabi, or urdu…then go ahead :)

      1. hindu isn’t a language. its a religion. thats like saying i speak christian or jewish…… and you’re an English teacher… don’t talk if you don’t know. seriously

  32. pretty good one kinda creepy if the really happen. if you ever find out why the guy wanted your hand let us know since this is the true story section!:)7/10

  33. Maybe the “ghost” was reaching out for help. Not realizing he is dead, trying to get a helping hand. U dunno, but im curious now too.

  34. hi Ankit, my name is Joe and i’m from England. I usually visit this site to read stories on the supernatural and strange occurrences because i enjoy reading horror fiction, however your story is very interesting because you say that you’ve seen these ghosts in solid from like real people. And that one approached you outside the bus you were on with his had out. You also said that the driver who’s encountered these ghosts before don’t want to say what it wanted from you. Thats very strange because in most ghostly encounters that people have, they usually ask for help to find a way to the light or be put to rest. I wouldn’t suggest you help them but maybe read more about the history of the bridge, then you might know.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top