Advertisement
Please wait...

Blessed



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

They had found the Voyager probes and decoded the messages inside. Their great silver ships filled the sky, scudding through the atmosphere like shiny storm clouds. All planes that approached them, no matter from what nation, were shot down.

They called themselves the Arbiters. Their demands were simple. One person from every nation on Earth needed to come forward, of their own free will, and offer themselves up for experimentation. If they did, they would gift Earth with technology beyond knowing. If not, they could cleanse the Earth of every trace of humanity.

Most people had panicked. Governments fell, people killed and looted, and chaos reigned. But even as the worst of humanity came forth, so did the best, and the one person per nation quota was met easily, with people to spare.

All the ships withdrew but one then. A great voice filled the sky. Humanity had passed their test. All those who had offered themselves up were safe on the ships in orbit and they would not be experimented on. Rather, they were to be rewarded beyond measure. Rejoicing filled the streets. The Earth had been spared! The last ship drew back into orbit. A great white light filled the sky and lanced down. No buildings were touched. Not a blade of grass was harmed, and both the lion and the lamb lay down without fear. But every person on the planet, down to a man, was gone.

Advertisements

The people on the ship looked down in horror. They turned to the Arbiters, questioning. They merely smiled. “Come ye meek,” they said. “The Earth is now yours.”

Advertisements

Credit To – Star Kindler

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

53 thoughts on “Blessed”

  1. This was really good. Not scary, but good anyway. I have to say though, that as soon as the Arbiters said that they weren’t going to experiment on the volunteers, the rest of humanity would die.

  2. While, no, it wasn’t scary or creepy, I really enjoyed this. It was an unsettling concept and I agree with the other posters in that I’d like to see more. It was a wonderful read and I’m glad that I clicked on this one. Very, very well written.

  3. If there were 200 or thereabouts MEN how do the aliens expect the human race to continue?
    The keyword here is MEN

  4. Okay where do i start.
    Its stand to reason that many of those who offered themselves up did it in order to protect their loved one’s who are now dead thanks to these dickheads from space thus making their attempted sacrifice pointless due to the fact that the people they try’ed to protect are now dead leaving the new owners of the earth to suffer in the knowledge they’re gone have mental breakdowns and most likely kill themselves!

    Not to mention some reward after most of the survivors are ether insane or dead after they get back to earth i doubt enough people would still be alive to keep inbreeding from destroying whats left of the human race.
    But hey at least everything’s intact right?
    well except for the fact that Russia for example have nukes ready to launch automatically unless once a day four different outpost press a button’ that no one is there to press. Not to mention nukeler reactors that need to be maintained to keep them stable!

  5. Only one from each nation was necessary, however more than the required number volunteered and were likely saved.

  6. Well now. Lessons are learned. I must ask one question though – were the Arbiters saying those who didn’t sacrifice themselves were a waste?

  7. Scrotie McDickenass

    It’s funny how “the meek shall inherit the earth” is contradictory to the number one rule of nature. And that is that the fittest survive.

  8. So… they’ve been doomed to live in solitude without being unable to communicate due to language barriers.

  9. Maybe this was the experiment 200 computer literate people won’t lose all the information considering the world never lost its power grid.

  10. Pretty clever, I liked how it went straight to the twist. Short and sweet, like a micropasta should be. The only thing that was kinda unbelievable is how mass chaos ensued when only about 200 people out of the approximately 7 billion on this planet were asked to “sacrifice” themselves. Still, considering that aliens were the ones demanding this, it’s still somewhat plausible. All in all, at least a 9 out of 10.

  11. I don’t understand what I just read…don’t hate please, I’m not saying that it was bad, because it was just the opposite. I’m just saying I don’t understand what happened…if someone could explain that would be great. ^_^

  12. The only problem is the aliens are giving these few people an entire Earth filled with nuclear power plants, electric grids, and numerous other buildings and structures that they probably have no idea how to operate. The nuclear power plants will all meltdown and the world will become unlivable. Way to go, aliens.

    Liked the story though, 8/10.

  13. It’s an okay story but if it really happened, these people should be so pissed off. If they freely volunteered that means they wanted the rest of humanity to live on and prosper. The sequel I would like is 2000 years later the descendants of the less than 200 survivors would have given birth to a scientifically minded race to seek out and destroy the Arbiters.

    But in reality the people who were allowed to volunteer probably would have been old, pass the age of children, had terminal diseases, physically crippled, suicidal, prison lifers or on death row.

  14. I actually liked this! I would suggest maybe. Putting a little more detail into it or build it up a little more. Cool play on “the meek…” I think p7/10

  15. Did Taiwan or Palestine count as a nation? What about Luxembourg? Indeed, was only one person saved from China, same as the Confederate Islands of Micronesia? If so, that isn’t very fair, China has so much more of a population.

    Also, those aliens don’t seem to understand genetics very well. Only a little under 200 humans survive: that’s a poor gene pool to breed from (might not even meet the Minimum Viable Population). And how much knowledge would be lost! Those aliens are totally screwing those 200ish humans over.

  16. Whilst I enjoyed the storyline, I fail to see how it is scary or creepy. Perhaps a little bit more description about the anarchy – maybe some 1st person narrative to explain how distressing it was?

  17. An okay read, but not very creepy. Would have been better ending if the Arbiters would have taken the surviving humans to their home world . . . and ate them.

  18. Interesting premise, I enjoyed the mixing of science fiction and religion at the end, but I think it was much too short and I would have enjoyed hearing more of the run-up to the event, and also maybe the story of a few of those who came forward.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top