Advertisement
Please wait...

7 Horror Movies That Are More Comical Than Scary



Estimated reading time โ€” 3 minutes

Horror movies are known for their spooky factor – after all, it’s why many people choose to watch such films. Indeed, there are even psychological theories that shed light on why people enjoy watching this genre. But what about those movies that didn’t quite hit the mark? Unfortunately, there’s quite a collection in this category that don’t even deserve to be considered as B-rated because they’re so bad, they verge on the comical! You have better chances of getting a fright spinning the reels on a ‘scary’ online slot game, and we’re not even kidding!

If you are looking for more of a giggle than a spine-tingling experience that’ll have you hiding behind the cushions, here are seven examples of horror movies that turned out to be more comical than scary :

Exorcist II: The Heretic

The first Exorcist film was a truly frightening experience. The bone-chilling scene where the possessed child’s head spins 360 degrees is synonymous with the film. However, the sequel truly failed to hit the mark and was arguably one of the worst horror movies of all time. However, when you look at it from an alternative vantage point, you’ll realize it has excellent comedic value. Images of James Earl Jones dressed as a massive locust is certain to put a smile on anyone’s face. 

Advertisements

Anaconda

Starring Jennifer Lopez as a documentary filmmaker working alongside Ice Cube in the Amazon Jungle is a recipe for disaster as far as horror movies go. The film focuses on their encounters with a snake hunter who entices them to hunt down a huge 40-foot anaconda, which looks more like a giant land eel. All in all, the whole premise for the movie is laughable, but some would argue it does have a little entertainment value if you are in the mood for comedy. 

The Blob

An absolute classic from 1958, The Blob certainly has its place in the horror movie hall of fame. Watching the movie now, most viewers will likely agree that the blob itself looks like it is made of strawberry jam! The movie is absolutely hilarious and somewhat compelling. With Steve McQueen playing a teenager despite the fact he looks more like a 40-something that should be waking up for work the next morning rather than liaising with the blob!

The Wicker Man

From start to finish, everything about the 2006 adaptation of the 1973 classic, the Wicker Man, is a hoot! From a lady wearing a 50-pound beard of bees to Nicolas Cage in a bear costume, the ‘horror’ movie remake has great comedy value. Inspiring internet memes and known for the iconic line’ Step away from the bike, and take your stupid mask’ make The Wicker Man an unforgettable experience, albeit for all the wrong reasons. 

Advertisements

The Happening

You don’t get more cringe-worthy than M.Night Shyalaman’s The Happening. While the premise for the film has the potential to be strong, in reality, the movie unravels into a narrative mess. With its highly convoluted storyline, the 90-minute movie is a real slot. With that being said, the audience can’t help but laugh at some of the movie’s most iconic lines, such as: “My firearm is my friend, and it will not leave my side “.  

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

There is no doubt about it, the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise is one of the most famous movie series of all time. Sure, the first movie was pretty disturbing, but as the franchise progressed, viewers became more focused on Freddy’s hilarious puns rather than the fear factor. While all the movies have their funny moments, Dream Warriors became known for some classic puns, most notably: ‘What’s wrong Joey? Feeling tongue-tied’. Of course, the movie does have its fair share of seemingly scary scenes, but they certainly won’t haunt you nearly as much as Freddy’s one-liners will. 

Advertisements

The Swarm

A movie about a swarm of killer bees is a great premise for a scary movie. However, the 1978 movie, The Swarm, doesn’t quite invoke feelings of terror like one would think. Despite the fact that it features an all-star cast including Henry Fonda and Michael Caine, even the pros failed to make the film’s storyline at all plausible. Although the movie makers used over 15 million bees during the shoot, the movie failed to be scary in any sense. Even though we know we shouldn’t laugh, the poorly executed film has you laughing from the get-go. 

Advertisements

In short, these are just a handful of the so-called scary movies that missed the mark when it came to giving us nightmares. They did, however, get us giggling, and we can all do with a healthy dose of comedy from time to time. Once you start watching these movies through an alternative lens, you start to appreciate the unintentional hilarity of it all. And at the end of the day, the world itself is a pretty scary place, so why not just accept these movies for the laughs they provide rather than what they actually promised to deliver!

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top