Advertisement
Please wait...

The Smooth, Black Stone



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

At the edge of the Pacific ocean, on some abandoned beach in the tropics, there is a large, smooth rock that sits just beyond the reach of the highest tides. It is not cracked or marked in any way, and the smooth black stone reflects even the faintest of light. It’s curved and formed in just such a way that if you are very careful, you can climb on top of it from the side, and stand on a flat area at the top.

If you stand on the rock when the moon is full and shining, and the water is at its highest point, you can see something in the sea below you. A faint shimmer of light, a flash of something you can’t quite identify. It gets brighter, easier to see as you kneel down and lean closer, over the edge of the rock.

Once you are leaning out further than would probably be safe, your left leg will slip on the slippery stone, and you will fall forward into the light. There is no splash, no sound; you simply disappear into the ocean.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

No one knows what happens after you disappear. But there are some who claim to have fallen off the same rock, what seems like a lifetime ago. According to the earthly calendar, they were gone for one day, then washed up on another beach, sometimes half a world away. But their eyes are hardened, and they rarely speak anymore, only occasionally muttering of fiery paths and gibbering demons.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

75 thoughts on “The Smooth, Black Stone”

  1. quit bitching about pasta! unless you have posted a story then feel free. only then will you know what it is like to have your work condemned and torn to pieces by packs of ravenous online roaches who can barely formulate a thought. if you do critique a pasta, at least make it helpful, not just \"pasta sucked\" or \"what was the point\" because then you sound dumber than a box of rocks that has to be spoon fed information. the point of author posting online is to attempt to entertain a portion of the readers of creepypasta. not all. some.

    great pasta! loved the bit about gibbering demons and hardly talking.

  2. This sites comments get boring really fast

    Its always

    “No brix were shat”
    “THEN WHO WAS (Insert random unfunny)”

    It might be good when the first person does it, after 40 comments its a bit old

    WANKERS!

  3. :l wtf. Why would anyone climb on it first of all? And if they did wouldn’t they notice the perfectly reflected moon rather than some almost invisible light in the sea?

  4. “First of all, no one is credited with this one, so stop making suggestions as to how it should have been done. I highly doubt that the author(s) is going to magically surface, read your suggestion and go “Ah, kk. Thx & bai”

    Second of all, the rock is beyond the reach of the sea, but it is also curved enough that you can climb it….”

    ^^^^

    Nice try, author. Pasta sucked.

  5. The Giberring Demon

    mumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumblemumblegrumble;zljkbhzdhjkzdl;j;

  6. NO THANKS………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

  7. I liked how the rock/ocean combo seemed to compel the person to fall into the water, and how their eyes grow hard, but the whole “gibbering demons” phrase ruined it for me. It just sounds unexpected and out of place.

  8. again ritual pasta. i demand a reward. why the hell would someone go through all that work to be emotionally scarred? :/

  9. Okay, I’m going to be blunt here: Why is it that 90% of the people who use this comment box seem to be pants on head retarded? Seriously, they’re like inattentive five year olds who can’t follow a story unless everything is spelled out for them in intricate detail and there’s a retarded, Goosebumps-esque twist at the end.

    As for the people calling cliche on this: This pasta has been floating around the internet for at least two years. It was one of the pastas that made the cliche in the first place. It’s like calling Lord of the Rings a boring cliche fantasy.

    So yeah, I like it, and the majority of the people who leave comments on here are mongoloids.

  10. So if you hear about this rock and find out it probably leads you to years worth of hell, why on earth would you go looking for it? wouldnt you just say “errr, no thanks, i think ill pass, unless you know of a rock that leads to sex world”

  11. the mental image of a rock shaped like this is awkward in my mind. But I liked that it was short and to the point.

  12. Shitty pasta, but one part that really irked me was “he slipped on the slippery stone”. Something about the double use of the word slippery so close together just sounds bad.

  13. First it says there are “some who claim to have fallen off the same rock,” then it says “they rarely speak anymore, only occasionally muttering of fiery paths and gibbering demons.”

    So if they only mutter about fiery paths and gibbering demons, when did they bring up falling off the rock?

  14. First of all, no one is credited with this one, so stop making suggestions as to how it should have been done. I highly doubt that the author(s) is going to magically surface, read your suggestion and go “Ah, kk. Thx & bai”

    Second of all, the rock is beyond the reach of the sea, but it is also curved enough that you can climb it, despite its smoothness. Is it not possible, then, that the stone curves out over the ocean? At least, that’s the mental image I got.

    Thirdly, everyone knows that ritual pastas often lack a certain real-ness. However, with all the idiots out there that light their nipples on fire using spray deodorant, don’t even try to argue that NO ONE would attempt this or any other ritual. Protip: there’s no reward for scorching your nipples.

    Lastly, you just lost the game.

  15. To start, these pastas are getting old.
    Also, if you’re going to do a ritual pasta, make it partially fathomable/ something you might be tempted or may accidentally do, thus making the possible, horrible catch all the more frightening. Offer potential reward and possible cost.

    Finally, who the would go through all of that to spend a day in hell?

  16. Why is it that lately all ritual pastas have you endure a horrible fate or a horrible experience for absolutely no reward?

    1. In theory, spending a short time in Hell could teach an evil person firsthand the horrors of the damned and persuade her/him to change her/his ways so that she/he does not spend eternity there. One can only imagine if this was the author’s intent

  17. “Gibbering demons” made me laugh.
    I personally liked Fookmi’s conclusion, although if that is the actual concept of your story, it’s too underdeveloped.
    Bland pasta.

  18. So, it sits beyond the reach of the highest tide, and you can still fall into the water? So, is it just tall? Or far up the beach? Also, use of the word “gibbering” makes me want to throw a rock at you, since you probably just read Lovecraft or played D&D before you used it. Finally, almost ritual pasta + poorly done mythos = shit

  19. okay, so there’s a path to hell from the top of this rock. but why is it everyone leans out to far and slips off? didn’t anyone just mark the spot visually and climb down off the stone and go check it out. Also, this rock is just out of reach of the sea, so how do i fall off of it and then down into the sea?

    Poop.

  20. I like it.

    While it doesn’t have the “oh SHIT” moment like some other creepypasta, it feels like a real ghost story. The type of thing you would actually be tempted to believe.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top