Advertisement
Please wait...

The Whole Time



Estimated reading time — 7 minutes

I’m not sure when I started thinking of him again. It had been at least sixteen years. I had pretty much forgotten about him up till that point. I went about my life as a waitress and dishwasher for a small town diner. The only place to get food aside from the Jiffy-Mart and garage just up the street. The town had countless legends that involved death of some form involving creatures that most people laughed at.

Late one night when only the regulars were there, everyone decided to pitch together and tell me some of the stories. I had just moved there two months before and still hadn’t had the time to listen in on the latest encounters with the local creatures. They started it off by telling me about the Rake and how it drove it’s victims to insanity by demanding impossible things from them or perching at the foot of their bed night after night waiting for them to wake up so it could kill them.

I laughed it off. “That doesn’t sound that bad,” I said. “At least it was trying to get it over with.”

Advertisements

Nealy, the man who told the story, huffed in irritation. “Tell ‘er about the Operator.”

“The what?” I asked. “That sounds like a bad horror movie I saw once.”

“Don’t laugh.” Gina, the owner, said. “He’s real. Ever wonder why you don’t see kids in this town or why the school is shut down. He lives there. He takes children and then goes after their families. He dates back as far as anyone knows. He took the waitress you replaced and her son.”

“Uh-huh, and pigs fly.” I said. “I don’t doubt that they exist. They just don’t scare me.”

“What about those Cryptids you like so much? Do any of those scare you?” Shawn was my favorite person I had met in this small town. He was two years older than me and loved to listen to my tales about the Cryptids my parents had chased through out my childhood.

“Yeah, lots of them scare me. I saw a few of them.” I said. It was something I never really talked about, but since these crazy small town folks believed their own legends I supposed they would believe me when I told them what I had seen.

Advertisements

“What scares you the most?” Gina asked. “I mean, one that you’ve seen.”

I sat back in the chair I had drug behind the counter and pondered which one scared me the most.

“The Dover Demon,” I said. “It scares me because it looks like an alien and I have a phobia of them. All it does is wait to scare people, but it freaks me out on looks alone. The Cree Indians even have it in their stories. It’s not the one this that scares me the most, but it’s a close second.”

“What scares you the most then?” Nealy asked.

“Pax.” Was all I said. I stood up and went into the back to finish up the dishes. There was no way I was telling them about Pax at night. They would have to wait until a day when I was off work and could come by during the day to tell them his story.

——-

The next week, after a lot of badgering on their part, all four of us went to the diner on my one off day. We all showed up early after the sun had come up. I didn’t want to risk telling them about him close to dark.

“Well,” Shawn said. “Here we are. Now what the hell is Pax?”

“Pax was my not so imaginary friend as a child,” I told them. “He looked like a ragged and matted Saluki dog with no mouth and six black eyes with red irises.”

“I know that ain’t all there is to it,” Nealy said. “There has to more to it than that.”

“There is,” I said. “There’s a lot more. Pax first showed up at a seminar my parents had taken me to about Hell Hounds.Of course, I wasn’t allowed any farther than the lobby, but I could still hear what they were saying. I was so bored and told the receptionist that I wished I had someone to play with. She told me to run along and stay out of trouble, so I decided to run around the museum it was held in.”

“I found Pax in the room the Curator used for the most expensive artifacts they were still studying. He was sitting in a corner of the room, swaying back and forth. I said hi to him and it went from there. He followed me where ever we went. When I told my parents about him they thought I had come up with him as a way to keep myself from being scared of the cryptids they chased. All of that happened when I was five. Everything was great with him around, until I turned seven. We had moved into a house near the mountains in Italy while they did research on the Tatzelwurm. I liked to play in the backyard with Pax everyday.”

” A few months after my birthday he killed someone’s dog and drug it into the backyard. At first, my parents thought I had done it. I had never hurt an animal in my life and they thought it was me. It started to happen during the weeks I was stuck inside and they decided it wasn’t my fault and some wild animal was killing them. I kept telling them it was Pax.”

Advertisements

“One day while my parents were home thought it would be funny to walk in front of a mirror in the room they were in. That was the only way anyone else could see him. My mom screamed so loud she could talk for a week. After that they tolerated Pax’s pranks until they started to get violent.”

I stopped and took a deep breath, shaking slightly at the thought of what came next. “Next came the really bad pranks. A misplaced knife in the bottom of the sink while my mom washed dishes. My dad almost falling down the stairs after being pushed. Then finding rabid animals in the house. I finally realized that whatever that thing was that was pulling all of those horrible pranks wasn’t Pax.”

“What do you mean?” Asked Shawn. “He was the only thing around that could have done it, right?”

“Yeah, but something had to have happened to him. It was too sudden. I think my parents came back from one of their hunts for the Tatzelwurm with something else that took his place. I noticed that his eyes had changed. The color swapped. From black and red to red and black. My parents seemed to realize this too because I had already changed the color in the pictures I drew of him without realizing it.”

“After a lot of research, my parents realized that this creature that had taken my best friend’s place was a demon called a Mimic. They didn’t have a name of their own and like to take the place of imaginary friends and guardian spirits. That’s what Pax was. I rescued him from his own hell and he protected me. He couldn’t even protect himself from the demon.

“We found out some time later that it couldn’t kill anything that wasn’t alive, but that was way after the fifteenth priest ran screaming that God was dead and hell was here.” I looked down at my hands and sighed. “The Mimic finally got up the courage to attack on its own. My dad is stuck in a wheelchair and my mom won’t even speak to me. She thinks it’ll come back if she talks to me. She prays everyday now. One of her favorites is that Pax will come back and save me since she thinks he was an angel.”

“It took me a month after the attack to get out of the hospital. I stood in the living room and screamed at it to get out and never come back or I would kill it. Can you imagine a seven year old screaming death threats at a demon? That was me. I told it I would find Pax and we would kill it. It left, but it never stayed away.” I took in a shaky breath. “It follows me everywhere I go. I don’t go into the woods because I’m afraid it’ll sneak up on me and finally kill me.”

“What about Pax?” Gina asked, almost at a whisper. “Did you ever find him?”

“No. It’s not for lack of trying. I want him to come back. Remember how I laughed at your story about the Rake, Nealy? I’ve already seen it. I need Pax to come back and protect me. I’ll be dead in a month without him.” I let out a sob. “I don’t think I’ve ever admitted just how much I need him.”

Gina, Nealy, and Shawn looked at me in horror. I was pretty much marked for death without Pax. Two creatures had found me interesting enough to want to kill me. Hell, I had already cheated death once. Why not try again?

Advertisements

“Alright,” I said. “I’m going home now. See you tomorrow Gina.”

——

“Shit! I knew I should have gone to the store when I let the diner.” I yelled as I slammed the door of my empty fridge. It was getting close to dark and I wouldn’t get home in time to lock the door.

Fuck it, I thought. If I’m going to die I’ll make it on my terms. I was by no means thrilled at the idea of dieing. In fact, it took a major pep talk to get myself out the door. I knew I was going to die.

The walk there was fine. Nothing happened that didn’t happen everyday. I got what I needed and started to head home. As it got darker I became more paranoid. I transferred all my bags from my right hand to my left and pulled out my pocketknife. If I was going out, I wasn’t going out like a bitch.

The shadows crept up on me and I could feel the Mimic getting closer. I tried not to make any noise so I could hear it coming, but my shoes still scuffed the pavement. Please just let it be Shawn trying to scare me. The thought was a little too late. It came from my left and slammed me into the pavement.

As it stood over me, I watched as it pried its mouth apart with a sickening rip. This was it and I couldn’t even stab it a few good times. I was about to die.

“Don’t worry, Zoey.” I swore I could hear Pax talking. He had always done funny things like that. “It’ll be over before you can even feel the pain. You saved me from my pain. I’ll do the same for you.”

I hadn’t realized I was hallucinating until it was almost over. I felt the pain. Just like when I was a child I made something up to counter the horror I was seeing. It had been Pax the whole time.

Credit To – FlatlineGamer

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

37 thoughts on “The Whole Time”

  1. dankisoriginal

    I got confused at the end. I felt like you misplaced the words «Mimic» and «Pax». Mimic was the good guy then? You said it was Pax all along.

  2. I dont get it, i loved the story but i dont get the end. What does it mean it was pax the whole time

  3. I really really really enjoyed this. I mean, I was hooked until the end. The end might’ve been rushed but I loved the plot, and with enough details for me to actually picture it!!! Omg, if you ever get down to it please make more!!! 9.5/10 (because of the rushed ending :D)

  4. Brent:
    I absolutely loved the idea behind the story. You have a great imagination…or you’re also a fan of Supernatural. Either way, I enjoyed the store in spite of the flaws.

    I see that you’ve read the other comments so there’s little need in me telling you it felt rushed towards the end, the grammar could use a lot of work and the story could have been fleshed out a bit more.

    That being said,I do hope you continue to write pastas. You have obvious talent and I’d love to continue reading your work.

    6/10

    I just have a good imagination.

    I’m actually in the process of rewriting the story. I know it started falling apart towards the end, so I’m reworking it with more detail. It still might not be up to some peoples’ standards, but I at least made the effort to write something. I suppose that can’t be said for most people.

  5. Zachary Chastain

    I think the hallucination referenced in the conclusion was the narrator hearing Pax’s voice. I think she really was seeing the mimic and perhaps The Rake, but that it wasn’t Pax that killed her. I think it was the mimic finally moving in for the kill, and that she imagined Pax as a comfort.

    Either she imagined him being there during the attack, or she imagined Pax all along, and she was actually being haunted by “the mimic” the whole time, as the title suggests.

    As others have pointed out, the inconsistencies in the story make it difficult to discern which is the case.

  6. The ending is rushed and doesn’t make a great deal of sense as written. I think it’s trying to say the Mimic wasn’t real and the malevolent entity had been Pax the entire time, but it’s hard to make sense of — including references to her hallucinating without clear indication what she hallucinated and what the reality was, and how she “made something up” both now and as a child without further explanation.

    There’s some worthwhile ideas here, but it could stand serious proofreading and a rewrite or two — especially the ending.

  7. I absolutely loved the idea behind the story. You have a great imagination…or you’re also a fan of Supernatural. Either way, I enjoyed the store in spite of the flaws.

    I see that you’ve read the other comments so there’s little need in me telling you it felt rushed towards the end, the grammar could use a lot of work and the story could have been fleshed out a bit more.

    That being said, I do hope you continue to write pastas. You have obvious talent and I’d love to continue reading your work.

    6/10

  8. There are a lot of missing letters, and a lot of typos.
    My advice is proof read.
    I am sorry to say this but the story is bland and undercooked.
    It lacks a ‘punch in the guts until bricks are shat’.
    No spice at all, no excitement, no detail, and where’s the explanation of the demon ‘Mimic’?
    The character did a research and all she can find out is a name? That’s all?
    The parents are probably unrealistic at best, my mom and dad certainly wouldn’t have believed in my imaginary friend, let alone do a research about how it changed its eye color.
    Then the annoying ‘calm as hell’ main character that is just so relaxed and tells a story so casually to her friends about her imaginary friend that can and will kill her, but of course the friends didn’t do anything but listens, and her parents just gives up.
    You need to excite the reader, spice them up, with excitement, rich details of the atmospheres, immerse us readers into the story’s world, let us flow in a guided storyline but let our imagination wander wildly, don’t befuddle us with broken storylines and temporal timewarps.
    Let us spark our feeling of being an inteligent species with a logical story that makes sense, make us figure out in the end who this Pax is, why he changed, why he became voilent, leave us hints all over the place so that we can find the answer before the end of the story, and yet ‘BOOM’ change the ending so profoundly that the only thing we could do is just stare with disbelief at your writings and shudder in fear.
    Kudos to you for picking up this kind of horror, because a horror story that involves, a child that can see dead people or imaginary friend (‘Sixth Sense’ comes to mind), happens all the time and all over the world, and never fails to give a good scare.
    Good pasta… wouldn’t mind eating it again if you put more seasonings and cook it a bit more.

  9. I really liked this! But I feel like you should write like a prequel to it, just about the town itself. Then explain the childhood stories more. Maybe tell it in a present tense. All that’s left it clarifying the ending, and its perfect. Honestly, I think this is a great story.

  10. You’re probably the first person to ever mention the Dover Demon in a creepypasta. I live near Dover MA so I know all about that story.

  11. I liked the original premise of the story until she went from scoffing at fear of creatures, and then to transition of herself being scared of the same creatures. And what does Pax have to even do with the story at all? You could’ve left that out.

  12. Very confusing pasta, full of inconsistencies, and with some typos that, although minor in themselves, were just at the right point to make me go “uh?” (some examples at the end of the comment)
    The narrator says she’s not afraid of the Rake and such, then says she is and she’s goona die. She says she is afraid of some cryptids and mention Pax (who turns out not to be a cryptid but some kind of entity), but then she says it wasn’t Pax she was afraid of, but a Mimic, and then she suddenly says she’s going to die soon, even though she was happy and carefree to this point. Then, right on cue, the entity (who is suddenly able to speak, something that was never mentioned before) jumps her at night and… well, and nothing, because she is telling the story afterward (in past tense) so she’s alive, but that’s not the point… Pax had been following her everywhere since when she was 7yo and only now it decides to attack? Why? The fact that she was out at night not only is no explanation, it’s completly dumb: she worked the night shift, so she was always out at night anyway.

    “My mom screamed so loud she could talk for a week.” Must have been one hell of a scream, it gave her the ability to talk, even though just for a week. :-)
    “a demon called a Mimic. They didn’t have a name of
    their own” So, where they called Mimics or not?
    “We found out some time later that it couldn’t kill anything that wasn’t alive” Do you know anything that can kill something that isn’t alive? I believe being alive is a prerequisite in order to be killed.
    “I wouldn’t get home in time to lock the door.” Uh… what? Can’t she lock the door when she leaves?

  13. The spelling and lack of description near the end made it confusing for me, but the idea is solid and the beginning was great.
    6/10

  14. Is it jsut me or does the story make 0 sense? Its starts of her making fun of making fun of the people believing in monsters, but she herself had some fucked up imaginary friend that got real and that shes scared off? Pretty hypocritical…

  15. 3/4 of the story had potential, but then the whole thing with it being Pax… it was not clear or well structured.

  16. Very confusing, unless I read this wrong – The character went from being a content, working waitress to someone who knew they were going to die simply because they remembered and relived a tale of the past?

  17. i didnt like this at all. im sorry. it wasnt scary, it was creepy, it was just confusing. the writing wasnt great, there were alot of words missing. im sorry, i just couldnt get into it. what small town has all those monsters?????

    1. Definitely not my best effort. I can admit that. It’s not so much that the town had all those monsters, they just tried to play it off as though they actually had them. If I would have put more effort into the story it would have been more obvious.

      1. the idea was awesome, it just needed to be executed better. i hate to put anyones pasta down because i dont write but i felt this story had potential if you spent a little bit more time on it!

  18. “We found out sometime later that it couldn’t kill anyone that wasn’t alive”!!!!! Lmao. You mean it couldn’t kill dead people? Lolol. Good fun idea but poorly executed. Its boggled and confusing in the middle. Also, a lot of you creepypasta submitters have a terrible habit of giving your story away just by the title. This is a prime example of such, and your story suffered greatly for it. A couple rewrites and some editing could have made this really good. As it is, not so much. 4/10 keep reading and writing

      1. Actually I figured out your idea and I really liked it it worked me well. But the writing felt weird like it needs editing but I can’t seem to find mistakes…..

  19. Good try. I wasn’t too fond of the end. It seemed like you were really trying to make it good at first and then got tired of writing and hurried up the ending. Next time, take your time and try to explain the ending a little more. :) Always remember that the ending is really the most important part of the story; it’s what you leave the reader with, and the part they’re going to remember the most afterward. (And, the use of past tense makes me wonder: How evil is this being? It obviously didn’t kill her… That’s another thing to pay attention to when you’re writing (: )

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top