Advertisement
Please wait...

The Vault of Humanity



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

In the year 2005, the Humanity Archival Storage Project was commenced by leading government officials, scientists and academic alumni across the world due to the fear that humanity’s treasures were increasingly threatened by war and natural disasters. The project was one of the most complex undertaking in our species history: the creation of an archive of humanity’s knowledge and culture. The Archival Symplexical Computer was designed in the early days of the project. The device was composed of iron, the most stable of elements, and built to stand as a testament to our species for millennia.

After the construction of the ASC, I was assigned to the HASP team. We were a diverse bunch, consisting of representatives from the fields of science, history, the arts, and every other possible area of human study. Our task was to program the device with the information and artifacts worth preserving. Our group started off cordially enough, but we quickly broke down into sects and factions as we started fought viciously over what would be saved. The artists wanted musical samples and paintings saved, the historians wanted their nations’ prized documents included and the scientists wanted their formulas and theories preserved. Eventually, through a series of backroom deals and shifting alliances between disparate groups, a compromise of sorts was reached and onto the device went the formulas of Newton and Einstein, the plays of Shakespeare, the music of Mozart, the paintings of Picasso and many of the other great discoveries and creations of humanity.

In 2012, it was finally time to store the device. Locations around the world were scouted out, ranging from the Himalayas to the bottom of the Atlantic. Eventually, a decision was made to place the ASC beneath the Sweeney Mountains in Antarctica. The location was free from war and fault lines. The frigid code would even slow down wear and tear on the machine, extending its lifespan for another millennia or so. It was the perfect place to station the device.

Construction of the ASC vault started in 2013. The process took another year, but eventually the construction team reached suitable depths. I was there for the opening ceremony, as a drill team dug through the last twenty or so feet to reach appropriate levels for the ASC vault. At around noon, I heard the drilling stop. I thought they had finally reached acceptable levels, but the loud screaming that quickly filled the air freed me from this thought. A rescue team was sent in, but they reported that the drillers had hit a cavern hundreds of feet deep.

Advertisements

A rescue operation was quickly launched, but all that was left of the team was corpses and smashed machinery. They had simply fallen from too great a height for there to be any survivors. During clean-up, the body recovery team discovered something rather unusual: an ASC-like device wedged into the corner of the cavern. The device was nearly five-thousand years old.

Advertisements

Credit To – E.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

24 thoughts on “The Vault of Humanity”

  1. this story was like a nice fancy car riding along a smooth road… then ….. BOOM… WALL.. the end.. needs more… but good so far .

  2. This isn’t good enough yet. Too many research holes, which is frustrating as a reader. Iron is far from stable as elements go, and no way would Picasso end up in there without a mention of DaVinci, for example. Also, why did everyone have to die in the cave in? That doesn’t make sense. And the author should have elaborated more about the found machine instead of leaving everything to the imagination of the reader. I’m not saying the author should have spelled everything out, but the ending is about as creative as, “And they were never heard or seen from again.” Sorry to sound harsh, but this story felt lazily written.

  3. I imagined this one in a Ridley Scott -esque movie, Good sci-fi movie hard-draft and concept if you’d ask me, just very few grammatical errors, you sir, deserve and owe us readers a sequel, whom you have glued our eyes in the screen of our laptops asking and screaming for more

  4. The story had great potential. The ideas contained seem original enough and the ending, although abrupt, was fascinating.

    A few grammatical errors but no biggie!

    7/10

  5. “as we started fought” should be changed to either “as we started to fight” or “as we had fought”

    But as far as your story goes, it has the potential to be much greater.
    Leaving the reader stumped like that lol.
    Shame on you, a continuation would be much obliged.

  6. The Average Creepasta Reader

    WOW. This would be the most mine-blowing discovery the world has ever made. (If only this were true.) :(

  7. I really enjoyed the piece, and a continuation of it would be great. There are many places to take it. Hope to see more.

  8. I really loved the ideas in this story, but I think it could have been better overall. Perhaps it could be expanded or continued. I just felt like it was too short. I wanted to keep reading and know more than what was provided. I’m really not sure how to explain what I feel is lacking, since I normally don’t comment on stories. Also not very creepy, but I like that the ending allows for several different interpretations.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top