Advertisement
Please wait...

You Are Being Transferred To The Operator



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

I had had enough of the running around, the missed calls, the signed cards: I had had it with the second guessing, hiding behind my curtains and hearing nothing but the busy signal. If they couldn’t deliver my package on time, I would simply go and collect it from the depot myself.

I had no idea what the package was. The whole ordeal had been going on for about two months now. A purple card had showed up on my doorstep, so I had gone online, filled in my details then waited in the next morning. Despite sitting in from 8am until 1pm, no delivery was even attempted. Yet when I whirled downstairs to head to work, now much later than I had negotiated with my boss, having run upstairs to get a coat, a note was waiting on the front door rug for me, bold and purple and smug, with a passive aggressive apology about my own absence.

A similar incident had occured a week later. I was still packageless, and the cards had increased in frequency, sometimes two would be waiting, wedged through the letterbox. I had phoned. Of course I had phoned. The number wasn’t toll free though, so I was forced, through a matter of finance, to call from my work phone in the later afternoons when people in the office were too tired and bored to eavesdrop on me. I’d go through the menus- my God I’d been through them well enough to know how to get through- 4, pause for two seconds, 1, pause for one second, 1, pause for two seconds, 3. Then there’d be a clunk a snapping noise and a pre recorded voice would intone coldly “You are being transferred to The Operator.” After that, the sound of a phone ringing, ever so slightly echoey, and occassionaly, and not in any regular intervals as far as I had been bothered to calculate, the sound of that voice again, “You are being transferred to The Operator.” I had never been able to connect to a human being: just that voice, a pre-record, or the automated Lady of the Option Menu. My record for holding on this line was 47 minutes. Funny thing was, it hadn’t felt that long. I’d rung up on that occasion on a Wednesday about ten to six, and sat half distracted by invoices with the work phone cradled between my cheek and shoulder, and I guess that voice must have had a slightly hypnotic quality to it, irregularly reminding me that the transfer was in process, and the mythical Operator was expecting me, I suppose. When I snapped out of it, it was only because the cleaning staff came in and started emptying the bins noisily.

Advertisements

I went home, and resolved I would simply visit the depot myself on Friday after work – it was open until 7pm according to that damned purple card, and just on the edge of town. Not the most celebratory way to end the working week, but it wasn’t as if I had any plans anyway. I’d been too busy at work, and too distracted lately to go out with friends.

The depot was completely dark when I arrived in good time for closing. It was a single lock up with a parking lot. Other traders on the site had already departed for the weekend, and the lamps were still sodium in this part of town: everything was a queasy yellow. I squinted at the address on the purple card, now a lurid brown in this light, and confirmed I was in the right part of town. I sat in my car and tried the number again. I could hear the phone ring inside the depot. Then someone picked up and the shrill tone stopped abruptly.

“Hello?”

And this time the response was live, though it was the same voice and phrase I had heard before:

Advertisements

“You are being transferred to The Operator.”

“Sorry?”

Advertisements

They hung up.

Advertisements

I got out of the car and tried ringing again, but now my call went back to the normal menu: I was reconnected to the Lady of the Option Menu, who seemed as pleased as ever to see me, which was not very much. The phone inside the building did not ring. I waited for a few minutes, but no sign of life stirred and a sudden gale started up. I drove home in good time: there was no traffic to speak of.

When I got home there was a card waiting for me: but it wasn’t a missed delivery. It stated that a collection would be made in the next few hours. So I decided to wait for them to come and collect. I think that perhaps after all the delivery has been made: I don’t feel as if I am missing anything any more. The neighbours aren’t in, and my friends won’t return my calls, and the internet forums I frequent seem quiet even for a Friday. So I’ve finished writing this, and I’m sat cross legged, waiting by the threshold ready to be collected. And when I lean my head against the door I think I can hear someone on the other side who has been waiting a long time too. Waiting to, at last, speak to a real person.

Credit To – pageantmalarkey

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

41 thoughts on “You Are Being Transferred To The Operator”

  1. Ring ring ring?

    Yes, Operator here, creepypasta moderator and part time seething source of eldritch horror when the need arise, here for all your critiquing needs, magical rites and birthday parties!

    …Wrong Operator?

    …Well, this is an awkward scenario…

    (Actual critique time!

    While the writer has an honestly really nice writing style that kept me reading for the entire thing and could definitely be used for more potential, the story kind of… I don’t know, but it wasn’t very creepy. The only sense of creepyness is how the place was seemingly abandoned and the ending’s possible implications, which. I don’t know, I feel like it could be done better in that method.

    Otherwise, the concept is interesting, and I like the tone of the story. Even if this is already on Creepypasta, I’d really like to see a potential rewrite, and see what kind of heights this story could attain!! In the meantime I’m definitely giving it a 7/10!!)

  2. It was not made clear if he was outside at the end but it kind of sounds like it was him inside and outside. Another analogy I got was that HE was the package.

  3. Missing an ending! Here is one, and as i pulled forward, closer and closer to my usual parking spot, and there it was…. The CLAW!!!!!

    1. There was an ending. If you had a slick bit of common sense, and payed attention to sensory detail, you would learn that the person waiting for the package has died. Thats why the streets are empty, the note was apologizing for HIS absence, and the phone would never connect. “You are being transferred to The Operator” from what i can tell, is the big guy of the dead. And the “collection” is them coming for his soul or other description for someone who has died. This is an honest guess. If this isn’t right, I’m sorry for the waste of time

  4. Jesus christ you guys, put two and two together.
    He’s dead. That’s why he can’t reach anyone on his phone, nobody is around when he’s driving, internet is quiet etc.

  5. This to me, did end rather abruptly.. but in doing so created so many more questions and I think, made it all the more creepy. Nothing says creepy like letting your imagination run rampant! I think that this was a rather interesting story that’s main point was to make you kind of think it as almost a parallel. Just like the person in the story had been waiting to speak to a real person instead of just an automated recording… as was the delivery man waiting to actually deliver the package to a real person, and not just get no answer.

  6. But if the storyteller is dead how can he tell the story? This is an unfinished story. Please rewrite, but finish it this time!

  7. It’s playing off the fact that so much communication these days isn’t done face to face; that the phonecall never connected to a real person, there were no real people at the depot to speak to, his coworkers are disinterested in speaking to him, the people he speaks to on the internet are just words on a screen, his friends won’t speak on the phone and his neighbours weren’t around.

    He’s constantly waiting to speak to someone in the flesh and now he’s being collected for someone else who does too.

    Not particularly creepy, but clever. I enjoyed it, though the ending felt a little rushed and could have benefited from a little more clarity to avoid confusion.

  8. anonnimmoose:
    Am I right in assuming that this person is dead? Either that or everyone made a pact to ignore him/her.

    Actually i also do think that the person is dead too after i read the end because he have no connection whatsoever to the living except a phone call(which he assuming the accepter was live),nevertheless not very good pasta for me(sorry but my primary language isn’t english and i will be honest with you,your pasta is pretty hard to chew because believe me,i watch creepypasta everyday,i sometimes had a problem in translating,but at your pasta,i lost in like 70% maybe because of my lack of grammar,translation ability,or maybe the story itself that was makes me lost,well i’m honest here,maybe for people whose primary languange is english and able to understand it well will gives you 8-9 stars but unfortunately,it fails for me,6/10,and 1 last question,if he has no connection to the living whatsoever(fail call and so)how in the world did he able to write all the story up and posts it to us all,you’re using first person style of writing with “I” as the main.good luck and happy writing

  9. Started off kind of interesting but by the end I’m totally lost. I’m just making the connection at all.

  10. Her Grace Killjoy Rainbow

    Awesomeragle–it was probably a My Chemical Romance CD and t-shirt! I know I’ve been waiting forever for mine to arrive!

    But Herr/Frau/Frauline Author, I LOVE your work. The only thing negative I have to say is that it would seem a lot better (to me, at least) if you fleshed it out just a tad bit more. A really different concept.
    Light,
    Her Grace Lisolette Ferguson Rainbow.

  11. Hmm. A very inquisitive story. Brings to mind paranoia and schizophrenic tendencies. I’d say an adequately thought provoking pasta. Well done, sir.

  12. Not exactly bad, but the main creepyness factor comes from the Marble Hornet reference (and the fact that this guy would go through so much trouble for a package that he wasn’t even expecting). The writer seems to have good potential, though.

  13. I felt that there was a bit too much room for imagination on the reader’s part. I would have liked to have more details and information on what the package really was or at least some hints. However, the mood that you set for the whole story was great. I liked the bleak, cold and lifeless atmosphere of the main character’s life. I enjoyed reading it!

    1. Well that package was just a McGuffin: nothing about it was actually important. It’s the weird occurrences with waiting, the phone line, etc, that provide the creep. The fact that you were so interested in the package actually means that the author was creating sympathy in the reader fairly well.

  14. Not very creepy and it left a lot of questions unanswered as awesomeragle stated but its still a good read.

  15. I could be missing something… But I don’t get it. I understand it’s something supernatural and that at the end it effects everyone (friends and neighbors not being around), but….what? Is it ghosts, the devil, aliens…??

  16. This completely lost me my friend… I had absolutely no idea what was going on near the end. It did definitely feel rushed.

  17. I think you did a good job on this story pageantmalarkey. I can’t say it was all that creepy, but never the less, I liked it.

  18. first comment WOOT. Anyway interesting story but what was the package? Why were they coming to collect him? What was up with his neighbors not being around and friends not calling? why was this person looking to speak to someone real? Those questions lead me to think that the second half of the story was rushed to reach a sort of deadline, and in doing so lost its creepy factor. I think that rewriting that bit or at least lengthening the last paragraph into three or four paragraphs is needed. 6/10

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top