Advertisement
Please wait...

The Time Machine



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

First test of Space-time Manipulation Device “Time Machine” with Human Subject

 

Abstract: This paper documents the initial test of the Space-time Manipulation Device carrying a payload of a willing human subject. Using methods detailed in this paper, the SMD is sent 1 year into the future, remains for 10 minutes, and is returned 10.0037 seconds after departure. Due to success of previous unmanned tests and new project parameters, a voluntary human test subject henceforth known as S7 was carried on the machine as a payload.

Advertisements

Orbital calculations were successful and well within error. Some concern is given to return time, being outside error predictions by 1.8%. Ongoing medical examinations of S7 are being carried out. The subject was returned unharmed, fully conscious, and completely and utterly unresponsive.

Introduction: For the past 25 years, a machine capable of travelling along the temporal dimension has been developed without public knowledge. By distorting space-time (See Pg. 48) the device can physically disappear from a point in space and reappear at the same point at a different time. The methods used to achieve this are discussed later in this paper.

Previous tests of the SMD have met with varying results. Initial tests ranged from minor incidents to catastrophes, the worst being test 4 wherein the appearance position of the SMD was miscalculated leading to the death of Dr [REDACTED]. Unmanned tests continued with increasingly accurate timing and positioning of the device. The last major problem occurred on □□/□□/□□ when SMD#136 failed to return. Its location remains unknown.

As the project was not made public, adherence to animal testing laws was not necessarily strict. As of SMD#223 the procedure was deemed stable enough to allow a living subject to travel a distance with the device. It is believed that increased military interest in the project was a major factor in the addition of an organic component. MoD official [REDACTED] oversaw all transport of living subjects.

S1, a small rodent, was placed in the machine and sent one year ahead. When the device returned, S1 was not present. An investigation concluded that this was due to insufficient restraints on the animal. After the harness was refitted, subjects 2 and 3 both returned dead form the trip. Subjects 4 and 5 returned alive, but seemingly unconscious, and died before reaching medical attention. S6, a dog, returned alive and was shown to be healthy upon medical examination. However, it was completely unresponsive, lying still with its eyes open. Shallow, rapid breathing could be seen, but S6 died before a brain scan could be performed. No cause was forthcoming. The subsequent autopsy could only conclude “It seems to have simply given up”.
S7 put himself forward for the experiment. As of □□/□□/□□ growing pressure was on to pull the plug on the project. If the SMD was not safe, then it was of limited use and would be broken into smaller projects. Financial concerns were a part of this. We had less than a year to prove that time travel was survivable for human beings, there was no time for extensive animal testing any more. S7, one of the senior leaders of the SMD program, volunteered as a subject, and the whole team was thrown into uproar. A few, like myself, were excited for the prospect and saw it as the only option, however there were many voices raised against the idea. After much debate, medical examinations, and final tests of the machine, it was determined that the S7 test could take place. SMD#414 was used for the experiment (specs Pg. 120). The test was the standard year-hop, stay for 10 minutes and then return. All parameters were strictly determined (Pg. 133) and the errors were acceptable (Pg. 227). The test was given the green light.

S7 was nervous as he was strapped into the machine. The SMD underwent extensive redesign since human transportation became a consideration. A carbon-fibre chair was used with restraints for arms, neck, head, chest, and legs (See fig 8). These were to prevent injury. As the countdown to departure began, S7 started becoming more agitated, turning into full on distress. He began to ask for the test to be postponed, for the straps to be loosened, to be allowed an extra few minutes preparation. We muted the speakers from the room. The straps were very well designed (fig 9) and managed to hold S7, as his verbal objections had become physical, pulling this way and that, trying to come free of the machine. It was hopeless. Seconds before departure he began shouting and thrashing wildly, but the speakers were still muted and we didn’t hear it. Then the device vanished.
10.0037 seconds later, the machine returned. S7 was in place, completely still. He stared straight ahead, every muscle locked, straining outwards. His breathing was rapid and shallow, and he wasn’t blinking. The medical team rushed in and released the straps, but S7 seemed not to notice. He just continued staring. No stimuli could coax a response from him: shouting his name, shaking him, even moderate amounts of pain caused any kind of a reaction. He simply sat, rigid as steel, eyes wide. The readouts showed an aggravated heart rate and critically high blood pressure. It was assumed that S7 was in some kind of coma.

Advertisements

Until the brain scan.

As soon as the EEG started, it was clear that S7 was not comatose. The amygdala, the most ancient and primal part of the brain responsible for fear and anger, was furious with activity. The frontal cortex was all but silent, but the deepest part of the brain glowed brightly. All of the team knew what this meant. S7 was alive. S7 was conscious. And, inside his own head, S7 was screaming. An animal, wordless scream of unimaginable terror. [FROM THIS POINT ON THE PAPER IS REDACTED. THE AUTHOR IS CLEARLY EMOTIONAL AND THE STANDARD OF WRITING HAS FALLEN FROM THE EXPECTED SCIENTIFIC LEVEL. PLEASE FIND A REVISED COPY OF THIS PAPER. THE CONCLUSION OF THE PAPER REMAINS AS EVIDENCE FOR AN ONGOING STUDY OF THE AUTHOR.]

Conclusion: I must know what happened to S7. The SMD is safe, I know that it is. I’ve worked here for [REDACTED] years, I have seen countless devices appear form the past. Nothing happens, the procedure is safe. What could be so bad that it could do that to a person? I have to find out. The thought of that man keeps me up at night. The clenched jaw, the straining joints, those horrible eyes. S7 panicked, that is all that’s wrong. He panicked and now he is how he is. I won’t panic. I will volunteer. I must, how else could I call myself a scientist? I won’t let the project be shut down. I will be the new subject, and I will see the future.

***

Medical Report on the Continuing Condition of Subject 8

 

Abstract: S8 continues to show no improvement. EEG’s show high levels of activity in the brain stem and amygdala. S8 remains in a conscious, vegetative state, showing no response to stimuli. Lactic acid build up in his permanently tensed muscles is beginning to lead to severe damage. Euthanasia is being considered.

Advertisements

***

Why do I not die? Why must I endure this? The others walk around me, but they do not walk. They stand, as still as rock. They do not move. They mock me.

But they do move, I know that they do. I see it, the slow crawl, over the millennia. Moving moving, but standing so still. The distortions of time, I know it is so. I know.

We dared to test the universe. We were arrogant, we bent time, and now I must suffer the consequences.

Alone.

But not alone, for they stand around me. Even now they crowd me, as they have for countless years. I know their faces, I have counted ever hair on their heads a million times over. It is their eyes that mock me. WHY DO YOU NOT MOVE?!

Madness is not far off, if it is not already here. It must be, for I am forgetting how to think.

Advertisements

I have forgotten so much.

What will I be when I forget all language? When I forget who I am? Even forget my name.

Well then, all the will be left, is to scream.

But I will hold my sanity, for I must.

I must.

WHY DO YOU MOCK ME? WHY DO YOU NOT MOVE? WHY DO I NOT DIE?!

Credit To – Jonteon

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

24 thoughts on “The Time Machine”

  1. This is indeed a well written piece of science fiction. I would venture to guess that the author may have been inspired by,’The Jaunt’ by Stephen King. The narrative structure is similar, and both stories examine the deleterious effects of time travel on the human psyche, though this story carries enough of its own charm to distance itself from King’s opus to temporal terrors.

  2. All in all this was highly entertaining, it begs for more story though.. my question is tthis does the ending imply that S8 is frozen in time?

  3. I enjoyed this very much and it’s always fun to read a nice bit of creepy scifi. I always get chills from “prisoner within my own mind for eternity” stories, and this was no exception! The only criticism I have is the lines where the last section of the original report is redacted. I was immersed in the story right up to that point. A document is usually censored for sensitive information not writing style and normally it makes no reference to what is being deleted. It felt natural throughout the story for items to be redacted but in this one section it didn’t feel right to me. Maybe present it as an edit or note from current researcher instead?

  4. @Katherine C I’m the same way. Good sci fi but not really creepy to me. I had to read it a couple times to comprehend it because I’m a fast reader.
    First time: 0_o what.
    Second: 0-0 eh..
    Third: *_* I understand everything perfectly now.
    Good job though! A blue ribbon for you, sir! -gives a blue ribbon with a golden star-

  5. Perhaps by travelling through time and distorting it, the subject can no longer percieve thing likw they used to.
    I think the subject begin to experience movement and changes faster after they return. This is why S8 said “But they do move, I know that they do. I see it, the slow crawl, over the millennia. “.
    Since the closer you are to light speed the slower time goes, the subject were seeing things in near light speed.
    Time at his moment of percieving move so slowly that everything seems to freeze. As he said he counted them millions of time over the millennia because it felt like he lived a very very long time despite the fact that it had only been a while due to the speed of perceiving he is in.
    Pretty good story overall… was curious what he saw in that 10 minutes thought.

  6. Great story, definitely deserves a higher rating than 7.4.
    My take on the experiment is that during the 10 seconds that the machine disappears, every second becomes a hundred or a thousand years so by the time the machine returns, the person has been conscious for thousands of years, therefore losing all sanity and resorting to doing the only thing that they can: scream.
    This might agree with physics as the person’s physical body never leaves the boundaries of the universe so the body has only gone through 10 seconds of time but the consciousness has experienced thousands of years; very, very interesting take on time travel.

  7. Excellent story. I love the APA-ish style writing. The story, I believe has a lot of merit. The gov’t has tinkered with time travel and teleportation. Philadelphia Experiment, anyone? That was teleportation, but I’ve read elsewhere of a time travel device being tested. Anywho, this was above well written and deserves a 9/10. It should get a 10/10 if we can find links to the actual report :)

  8. I really enjoyed this. I found the scientific write-up to work relatively well for most of the story, but then it left the ending feeling a bit too separate from the remainder of the story. However, I personally prefer a slight disconnect to neglecting any of the information from S8’s mind. I think that last paragraph really brings the story together, and is creepy if you take his perspective, as mentioned. Otherwise, while it is a great scifi story, it doesn’t really hit on creepy for me. I still like it as a story, though, and I really had fun reading it. I am a bit curious as to why his vitals would be elevated, since he otherwise seems to be moving more slowly (hence everyone’s movements appearing slow and his apparent motionlessness), but I may be getting backwards. Likewise, I think it would be interesting to learn more about what is causing the heightened fear response, but perhaps it is just the knowledge that he is trapped. I was kind of hoping it was based on what he saw in the 10 minutes, but I do feel this is a more creative take on a time travel story. Time is a scary thing, and I think this was a really interesting look at the dangers of meddling beyond our understanding. Thanks for a fun story, and happy writing!

  9. Okay maybe I’m thinking overly-simplified… but why not simply send a video recording device in the machine? Then they could all see the future without having to rely on the ambiguity of test subjects’ accounts… if one did eventually came back responsive that is

  10. Not a bad concept. Going to the future means you experience time differently. Science paper style was refreshing too.

    I think this should have been longer to be creepier. I appreciate the shortness but I feel like I read it and got over it as so as it was over, I wasn’t instilled with fear.

  11. Wow. This is some awesome sci fi stuff. I mean guys it may not sound scary at face value but try to imagine yourself In S8s place.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top