Advertisement
Please wait...

The Mirror



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

I touched the button in the middle of the screen, and a quick blue flash filled the room.

I turned my phone’s screen towards me, and looked at the photo I had just taken. I was smiling, and my new fluffy kitten was nestled into my arm, looking off to one side. I gently placed her onto the bed, where she sat down and curled a thick white tail around delicate black paws and blinked at me slowly with bright green eyes.

She had been the only female in the litter, and instead of being covered in lots of black patches like her siblings, she only had one black patch on her cheek and four matching black paws. Today I was able to bring her home, and was taking lots of pictures to remember the day.

On the bedside table was a little red collar with a bell. I picked it up, tore off the price tag, and fastened it around her neck. I walked over to the bed, and sat as she wandered curiously around the room, and eventually towards the old antique mirror in the corner of the room. I watched amused as she curiously sniffed at her reflection, fogging up the glass briefly with each breath.
I began scrolling through my recent photos, deleting those I was unhappy with.

Meanwhile my tiny cat had begun growling at the mirror, fluffing herself up to twice her size, baring her teeth. Her reflection mimicked her, hissing and spitting right back. I laughed as I watched her reach out a paw to strike at the glass, and then bounce backwards. She made one last snarl at the mirror, before turning and fleeing under the bed. “Silly kitty” I muttered
I sat up to go retrieve her from under the bed, when I noticed a white flash by the mirror.

Advertisements

The kitten’s reflection was still there, frozen in a snarl, staring directly into the room. It slowly reached out one paw, and rested its pink pads on the other side of the glass before it rippled like water. The kitten pressed harder, and the reflection, limb by limb, crawled out of the mirror and stepped delicately, paw by paw into my room. It briefly glanced at me, before it focused its attention under the bed and darted under.
High pitched squealing echoed around the room, and two snarling balls of fur, locked together, rolled out from under the bed, tufts of white fur flying, two collar bells tinkling. One of them started to scrabble away, but the other pounced onto its back, and hammered with its hind paws, causing the pinned Kitten to wail in agony. Teeth dug into her neck, and paws flailed as one of the cats dragged the other by the scruff towards the mirror in the corner. I sat, stunned, positive I was hallucinating.

The two fighting cats sprang apart briefly, and stood panting, tails flicking, fur bristling, staring each other down. I looked from one to the other, trying to work out which cat was which… I desperately tried to remember which side she had her black patch on… One had a black patch on its left cheek, the other on its right. Perfectly mirrored. I panicked, and grabbed my phone, fumbling to turn unlock the screen and see the photos. The most recent picture I had taken popped up, a white kitten in my arms with a black patch on its right cheek. I put my phone down, and crept towards the two cats, on the verge of spring at each other again, and grabbed the kitten with the patch on its left. It’s squirmed and struggled in my arms, sinking its teeth into my skin, and shredding my arm with its thorn sharp claws. I pressed it against the glass as hard as I could. Like water, the glass rippled and the imposter plopped to the carpet on the other side of the glass. It crouched, ready to jump back out.

Advertisements

Terrified, I kicked the mirror as hard as I could and left a huge crack running jagged from bottom to top. My own reflection was mirroring my actions. I kicked again and again until shards of glass fell out of the frame and rained onto the carpet. Breathing heavily, I looked back at my kitten, who was staring wide eyed at me. I scooped her up, and carried her to the bed, cuddling her as she trembled. As I was about to place her down, I noticed my phone still lit up with the picture of us. And my stomach flipped as I spotted the poster in the background had the words written backwards. I had used my phone’s front camera and it snapped mirror images…

Credit: Sophie Norris

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

23 thoughts on “The Mirror”

  1. Ehh… it was ok, i feel like the entire thing was to short. In my opinion this should have been longer. While i feel this way i still like the concept, keep up the good work

  2. Stop arguing over the camera. There was obviously a problem hence the kitten coming out of the mirror. There may have been a problem with the phone too. I still think the ending came WAY to fast though.

  3. Aside from the flipped image camera issue, a story is kind of ruined for me when something “scary” just suddenly happens with no build-up. A reflection cat suddenly comes out of the mirror and fights the real cat. What? That’s like “It was a dark and stormy night. I was driving in my car. A werewolf suddenly came and attacked me. I fought with it and it died. Then I realized that I actually killed the fake werewolf and the real werewolf was in my back seat. The end.”

    1. Mine is reverse image when you’re looking at the screen, but once you snap the photo it flips it the correct way. I think it depends on the phone though.

      Regardless, it’s just not well written. Its use is described one way at the beginning of the story and then the “twist” states something that is completely different than what was described. You don’t have to turn the phone around to look at your image when using the front facing camera.

  4. Have to agree. Using the front camera wouldn’t create a mirror image, only taking a picture in front of a mirror or printing from a backwards negative would.

  5. Mirror imaging isn’t caused by using the front facing camera, it’s caused from printing a backwards facing negative (which digital cameras don’t have). Aside from the fact that the whole plot twist concept is wrong, it wasn’t a bad story.

  6. Creepy but am dislexic so I knew already it was a mirror image, I can read backwards and upside down so when all those other kids needed a mirror to see something in a coloring book I already knew….

    1. It wouldn’t; unless the picture were taken standing in front of a mirror; using the back camera to capture the image in the mirror (like a selfie before there were front facing cameras).

  7. I don’t think you read properly.
    Let’s break it down.

    Photo – shows patch on right
    Character – grabs left patch cat
    Photo – is mirror image

    If it wasn’t mirrored image, it would show left patch on the cat.

    Original cat had left patch.
    Reflection cat had right patch

    Left patch cat was the one the character put into the mirror.

    Also, the wording says the phone was turned towards character

    Not turned AROUND to character

    Some phones do have a front flash (mine does)

    1. Mirror images aren’t created from using a front camera versus a back camera. Try it. The pictures will look exactly the same. The premise the plot twist is built in is incorrect.

  8. If the pic was taken with the front facing camera, why would the phone need to be turned to see the screen? And, most front facing cameras do not have flash…

      1. She said at the beginning that she turned the camera around to look at the pics. Meaning she was using the back camera. Front facing cameras are on the screen. And they don’t use flash.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top