Advertisement
Please wait...

The Devil’s Perfume



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

Growing up in the south, in a pretty religious family, folklore is always around. Being Mexican to boot, these stories were always a constant reminder to be a good child. My grandfather believed in this, wholeheartedly. He loved telling us that if we didn’t behave El Cucuy was coming to get us.

El Cucuy was the boogie man. Just like La Llorona was a woman who wept to lure children to the river to drown them as she had done to her own children. How were these age appropriate stories? My grandfather insisted that he saw La Lechusa – a witch turned into a large white owl – roaming in the backyard once.

I started to keep track of when he mentioned one of these names. If my cousins and I were too loud, El Cucuy was coming. If we ran around outside, Le Lechusa would take us away.

In my grandfather’s last few years of life, he never spoke of any of these ghastly creatures anymore. Albeit, we were older and less noisy around him. We would laugh as we’d recall him yelling at us, all the while my grandfather remained silent. Before his health started to decline, he would speak in hushed whispers about things… things that scared him.

What I remember most during his last year was that he was always afraid of the dark. He spent his nights pacing the house. He would call relatives at 3 – 4 am to see what they were doing. Like clockwork, he called my parents house.

3 am phone call. 4 am phone call.

One morning in the summer he didn’t call. He didn’t call because he said he smelled something. The story he told my grandma is one that is hard to believe…

He was walking the house, making his rounds. A slight shuffle in his house slippers over the tiled floor. Ssst ssst ssst ssst. He never really picked up his feet. Ssst ssst ssst ssst. He was moving from the kitchen dining area to the front living room. Sometimes when the street light is on, you can see the street from one side of his yard to the other. Cars lining the streets in front of houses where people were sleeping. All but one person.. or so he thought.
He heard something he wasn’t sure of. Was it talking or mumbling? Maybe it was humming? No one should be awake at this hour. My grandfather shuffled to the front door. That’s when he saw… Her.

A woman, dressed in dark clothing, walking down the middle of the street.

Advertisements

Ever curious, my grandfather opened the door. He stood behind the screen door in silence as the wind picked up and he smelled it.

In an instant, he smelled something foul. A wall of sulfur. And just like that, it was gone, leaving only a lingering smell of roses. He didn’t say anything, didn’t move. Then She turned to him.

An old woman, small in stature, with no real facial features he could recall. A darkness covering her face although she was within the beam of the street light. She was wearing a black veil, lacey, framing her oval shaped face. She looked right at him as she tried to get near. Her feet shuffling toward the edge of his driveway.

Ssst ssst ssst ssst.

Immobile with fear, my grandfather stood at the door, the smell of roses growing stronger as She approached. Her face beginning to compose features. Eyes, dark and set deep under her brow. Small mute mouth. Sunken cheeks that seemed to tug her face even more into an oval shape. Too elongated to be real.

As She approached the driveway, She stopped. The humming was back. Was she talking? Was she singing to him? My grandfather watched as She tried to step onto his property. She struggled. Something was preventing her from walking up the driveway.

Seemingly forced to remain on the street, She stopped humming. Her face was that black hole. The eyes… were they glowing? Was the jaw that far stretched down into a snarled howl shape?

The sulfur smell was back. She, this creature, was unable to cross over onto my grandfathers property. And with a screech, She moved back into the middle of the street

Ssst ssst ssst ssst.

This creature began its humming down the street, seeming to vanish in the darkness that went beyond where the light street could reach.

Advertisements

This went on, every early morning, for several weeks.

My grandfather never told a soul the first few nights. Who would believe him that he saw the Devil in the street at 3 am? The sulfur rose smell lingering in his nostrils so much that he began to overly use his nasal spray. He used these menthol inhalers, one every month. After his visitor’s appearance, he was using one a week until he was placed into ICU on his deathbed.

That holiday season, my aunt saw a woman, walking the streets at night when she went to the kitchen for water. She heard a song that she didn’t understand, with the smell of roses. When she approached the door, the woman stood at the driveway and sulfur stained the air. My aunt was too afraid to get any closer to the door and went back to her bedroom.

February of 2009, my grandfather laid with monitors hooked up to him. Delirious from pain medications and his body deteriorating, he began to say he could smell the Devil’s perfume. He was adamant of that rosy sulfur smell in the air. That She went roaming the streets, singing to people to take; sings to them to walk out of their homes. He said the creature would come out of the walls at the foot of his bed in ICU to visit.

This was the first time my aunt heard of someone else speaking of the woman walking the streets, smelling the roses and sulfur. This was the first time something this far-fetched was ever uttered aloud within the family. Everything was always some folklore story. But this? This happened to two different family members.

March of 2009, my grandfather passed away. I had to fly in thinking I wasn’t able to say goodbye, but he held on for me. When I heard the stories of this Devil in disguise, I shrugged it off with a smirk.

‘Oh right, like that *really* happened? Pfft!’

‘No, it’s for real, I saw it…’ My aunt loved to exaggerate but the look in her eyes made me skeptical.

That night, I dreamt of the story, as if I was there. I could smell the roses, the sulfur. I saw this small, frail woman walking the street under the street light. When she turned to me in my dream, her face was a black void.

Advertisements

At my grandfather’s funeral, the priest spoke of life and how in death we’re reunited with our loved ones and are at peace. I couldn’t shake that feeling of my dream. At the cemetery, by a crooked mesquite tree off in the distance, there was a woman. Small in stature, skinny….

Where were her feet?

Was she looking at me…. How? I couldn’t see her face…. It was broad daylight and I couldn’t see her face.

I smelled roses.

The wind whipped up and it was warm… and briefly, I smelled it. I smelled the sulfur. There was nothing around but empty fields. Where was this sulfur smell coming from?

I looked around and then back at the tree, but she was gone as was the smell.

Every now and then I hear a sound, like shuffling feet… ssst ssst ssst ssst…. and I smell roses…. ssst ssst ssst ssst…. if I close my eyes, I can see that small figure in black…. ssst ssst ssst ssst…. I open my eyes before She looks at me… ssst ssst ssst ssst….

Is that the Devil’s perfume I smell….?

Credit To – My grandpa, Senor Gonzales

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

23 thoughts on “The Devil’s Perfume”

    1. If you’re superstitious and grew up with colorful folklore that depicts your every-day-monsters in different, human-like shapes instead of shadowy beasts with large teeth or a red guy with goat-legs and horns, what would you think who a faceless woman, dressed in black, smelling of sulphur and roses and coming back every night at the same time might be? The mailman?

      1. I think you’ve aimed your comment to the wrong person. I’m not the one that was questioning how the character knew she was a demon.

  1. Deadlynightshade

    I liked it. But i will say that it’s spelled lechuza and I’ve never heard of her NOT being able to cross someone’s property. The stories I have heard she was always up in your space

  2. Liked this one, but I’m stuck wondering what was blocking her from getting to your driveway while grandpa was looking but not while your grandma was there? Is there any folk lore that answers this?

    1. TheHorrerWithin

      It nevers says she made it the driveway when the grandmother was there. It just says she ignored it and went back to bed.

  3. This was interesting, I like how you used the less known stereotype that vampires can’t enter houses unless invited to your advantage when writing this!

  4. I really enjoyed this one was disappointed to see it end so soon. I was hoping the story would progress onto the grandson and maybe take it a bit farther but then again, if the “devil” didn’t do anything to the grandfather why would it be any different for the grandson…anyway, good story :)

  5. it is said when you encounter a demon, you will smell something horrible, like death, followed by the scent of something pleasant, like flowers.

    1. Nicola Marie Jackson

      I did not know that, always happy to get some new knowledge. The bit I have tends to rattle around and disrupt my sleep xx

  6. I loved this pasta, a refreshing take on the devil/death. I also enjoyed the scent references as different beliefs relate smells to demons and unsettled spirits as well.
    I was curious though, as to what stopped her from entering his property the first time he saw her.

  7. I enjoyed it. It was simply real and terrifying. Firstly, we all know the feeling of just being awake and not being able to go to sleep, but her grandfather’s condition began to make it that he couldn’t sleep; in that twilight hour, when all are suppose to be safe and sound asleep, he witnessed a monster trying to take souls in the dead of night. Her being unable to come up to the property, I believe, is obvious. She requires permission of the homeowner, or “master of the house”. She couldn’t enter until the unwary party would offer her entrance trying to be helpful, or if they were ensnared by her song of despair. Great retelling of your grandfather’s tale and I do hope you put up some of your own original work one day! It seems to run in the family, this story telling business that is!

  8. Nice, it had a real classic feel to it! like BurnFullscreen said earlier I love the concept of the universal ‘ssst ssst’ sound. I also liked how he had names for so many monsters but when one finally visits him he cannot name her and so knows it is the Devil. It was not so much creepy for me but had a real traditional Ghost Story feel so I liked it =3

  9. I LOVE THIS PASTA! I’m Mexican and live in South Texas and grew up with stories about La llorona and La lechusa. This story made me feel like a little kid again, frightened and fascinated. Thank you for sharing this story.

  10. Thank you for your input. I can honestly say that it was never mentioned how my grandfather knew it was the Devil, or why he thought She was the Devil. His health was declining and that was the furthest thing from our minds. I just remember he believed in a lot of things that were… other worldly, so to speak… and no one questioned it. Thanks for your input again.

    1. TC (your/your grandfather is the author?)
      Do you have a contact to ask for permission to use your story for a project?

  11. This was an interesting story. I’ve never heard of the devil described that way before. It wasn’t scary, but definately creepy. As I was reading, I could totally picture the dark street at 3am and the woman walking down the middle. I think I might be seeing her in my dreams tonite.

    1. TerrorTheDragon

      Its ironically probely the most accurate, not really but more than most.

      The devils ment to be an extremely beautiful woman/boy (hermaphrodite/transexual)

      Like all angels are described (as more beautiful than the most beautiful woman yet male) and Lucifer was ment to be the prettiest.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top