Advertisement
Please wait...

The Darkness of Farside



Estimated reading time — 7 minutes

My name is Jim McGraw. I was the Command Module Pilot of Apollo 19. Contrary to popular belief, there were at least two more missions to the moon that were kept secret from the public. I flew to the moon in June of 1973 under the command of Commander Thomas Caird. Our friend, Steve Willis, was the flight’s Lunar Module Pilot.

The goal of our flight was to be the first manned landing on the lunar farside. You see, word has it that the Department of Defense received information that the Russians were going to land in the Fermi Crater, so we made up our minds to beat them by landing in the Tsiolkovsky Crater, directly to the east of Fermi.

Now, as the CMP, I have a boring yet crucial job in the mission. My purpose is to stay in orbit of the moon while Tom and Steve explore on the surface below. Whenever I swing back to the lunar nearside, I’ll report to earth on their progress, as we will be out of direct line of sight with mission control while on the other side.

Apollo 19 blasted off from Cape Canaveral on June 16, 1973, and made its Trans-Orbital Injection after orbiting the earth twice. Four days on the 20th, we entered lunar orbit. Tom and Steve flew down through the tunnel that connected the Command Module and the Lunar Module, sealed off both compartments, and separated.

After I checked the LM over through the triangular CM window, they began to make their descent. The procedure went rather smoothly, exactly as we predicted in the Sims. I watched eagerly as the LM slowly fell to the lunar surface. Soon, my friends were out of sight.

As they silently fell to the moon, I heard the excitement in their voices. The closer they got, the more tense they sounded. Eventually, I heard on the radio a loud Whuuuuuump!

“Touch!” Tom yelled.

“Engine shut-down,” Steve calmly announced.

For a brief moment, all was dead quiet. Then, when they realized what they had accomplished, I heard my two friends burst out laughing. They had successfully landed on the moon!

Within an hour, they had completed their EVA checklist and I gave Tom a ‘go’ for the first spacewalk of our mission. No time was wasted in opening the hatch. As Tom got closer to the surface while descending the ladder, he was silent. Soon, he reached the footpad of the LM, and stepped off onto the moon. Still, no sound was uttered. No poetic phrase, nothing.

Anxiously, I awaited his report. Honestly, anything would have been fine to hear, anything at all. Finally, Tom said my name. “Jim, do you copy?”

“Yeah Tom, what is it?”

“I’m down,” he said, not quite believing it himself.

Wide-eyed, I stared at the last bit of Tsiolkovsky as it disappeared over the horizon. I laughed and clapped my hands. “Bravo, Tom! How’s the weather down there?”

He chuckled a bit. “Clear skies, no clouds, bright sunlight everywhere.”

Within ten minutes, I passed back over to the nearside, out of communication with Steve and Tom. Last report I heard, Steve was coming down the ladder and was going to do some exploring with Tom in the Lunar Rover. After the planting of the flag, of course.

Within moments, I had reestablished communication with Houston Mission Control and reported the progress of our mission thus far. Over the radio, I heard the thunderous claps of the 50 men monitoring our flight. Gus, our mission’s designated CAPCOM, congratulated me.

“Be sure to tell us of what they find on your next swing around!” Gus said to me.

“That’s about all I can do up here,” I sighed.

Seconds later, I flew from the nearside night into the bright daytime of farside. “What’s the word, guys?” I asked eagerly.

There was nothing but silence for a few moments. Then, Steve said something. “Jim?”
“Yeah, Steve?”

“We’ve found something.”
“Well, what is it?”

There was a pause. “We’ve stumbled across Apollo 18.”

Apollo 18, reported to have crash-landed back in February in the Tycho Crater on the nearside of the moon, with the loss of its CMDR and LMP. The CMP attempted to return to earth, but the heat shield separated upon reentry. If the LM had crashed on the other side, what was it doing here in Tsiolkovsky?

“You guys sure it’s 18?”

“Pretty damn sure, we went inside to exam-”

“Inside?” I cried. “You mean it isn’t crashed, it came down intact?”

Perfectly fine, but the two pilots are missing. Their rover tracks lead somewhere deep into the crater. I think we’ll follow them,” Tom said.

It took me awhile to process this bombshell. When my craft returned to the nearside, I didn’t know how to explain this find to Houston.

“What’s the news from Tom and Steve?” Gus asked.

After contemplating what to say, I finally decided to be truthful. “They found 18.”

Silence greeted this. A while later he came back on. “You’re serious?”

“Oh c’mon, Gus, don’t play games with me! You must’ve known about this! How in hell is something that’s supposed to have crashed in Tycho located on the opposite side of the moon?”

Another pause. Then, “It’s probably just a failed satellite, Jim, that crashed. One of those early Canaveral jobs-”

I cut him off. “Don’t give me some bull excuse from the DOD, it was a LM! They are vastly different from any sort of satellite. Now talk!” I angrily demanded.

Radio cutoff was coming up in a few seconds. Right before I lost communication, Gus mumbled “I don’t know what to tell you, Jim.”

Daylight flooded the capsule as I drifted back to the farside. “Tom, Steve, what’s your status, over?” I said into the mic, obviously irritated.

“Listen,” was all Tom replied.

“What?”

Advertisements

“He’s right, Jim,” Steve intervened. “Listen to the radio.”

Deciding to play along, I stopped talking and pressed my ear to the circular speaker on the control panel.

That’s when I first heard it.

There was an absence of static, replaced by a nearly inaudible whisper, along with some sort of mixture of sounds, ranging from clicking to crushing to smacking. The whisper portion of the sound hybrid was indecipherable in what it was trying to say. “What on earth is that God-awful noise?” I cried, shaking with fear.

“We’re not too sure, but it started twenty minutes after you lost communication with us,” Tom explained.

Nothing much else had happened when I was on the nearside. Ten minutes after I became aware of the noise, Steve said “The rover tracks seem to be going over to that crater over there.”

As they neared the edge of the crater, the noise increased drastically in volume, almost to a high pitched shrill. I covered my ears and gritted my teeth. “What’s happening?” I screamed.

The noise died down. “It’s as if the nearer we go to that craterlet, the louder the noise gets,” Tom said.

“Where is it from though? There’s no sound in a vacuum so it must be on the frequency.”

They had no answer for me.

Soon, I was back on the nearside. When Gus asked me for an update, I decided not to tell him about the noises. I told them that Tom and Steve were following the tracks of the previous astronauts and that was that. Within 40 minutes, I was back on the farside. But something was different this time.

Tsiolkovsky was black. Only Tsiolkovsky was black. All other craters were dowsed with the blazing light of the sun. For some reason, this massive crater was jet black, darker than the night sky. It was supposed to be noon-day on the surface there.

“It started as soon as you swung around to the nearside,” Tom explained. “We’ve been navigating back with the lights on our helmets. We had to give up on the search for the crew of 18.”

The noise was still there.

I looked down at the foreboding crater of night. It looked like a pit that led all the way to the deepest recesses of Hell. I struggled to see the pinprick of light against the dark that would be my friends. Nothing could be seen. It was like the darkness itself swallowed the light. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it, not until it swung out of view over the horizon.

“What’s your status, 19?” Gus asked.

“Tsiolkovsky is enshrouded in darkness,” I said matter-of-factly. “Why?”

The tell-tale pause was back, then the bull excuse. “Maybe it’s some sort of light phenomenon? Like how the poles on earth experience night for six months?”

I switched off the radio.

Advertisements

Not long later, I was back on the farside. As soon as I entered range of communication with the ground crew, I heard heavy panting, as if somebody was running frantically. Something was definitely not right. “Tom, Steve, what’s the matter?” I yelled into the mic.

“Tom is dead!” Steve cried between gasps. “They got him!”

“They?” I creamed in terror, “Who are they?”

“Things, beings, eight feet high! They’re blacker than the night enshrouding me. These things rise up from the dust. They flipped the rover and got Tom.”

“Rise up from the dust?”

“Ascending from the ground to kill us! I’m on my way to 18’s LM, I’m a quarter of a mile away, I may make it!”

“You’re not making any sense!” I was crying by this point from confusion and fear. “What are they?!”

Before Steve had a chance to answer, he was screaming. I heard him yelling, pleading, begging whatever had a hold of him to leave him be. I listened as the thing tore his suit to shreds. As oxygen escaped, I could discern some sort of sickening crack, as well as the sound of ripping flesh. The last thing that came in from Steve was his last convulsive sob, followed by a pop. Then it was over.

I suddenly heard the strange noise, louder than ever, blaring through the radio. Instantly I switched it off, but the noise continued. I covered my ears until I was back on the nearside where it ceased.

Switching the radio back on, I screamed at Gus “They’re dead! Tom and Steve have died! Steve said some sort of things rose up from the dust to kill them! What were they?!”

This time, Gus replied. All he said was “It’s happening again…” After that, there was static. Mission control ended contact with me.

Then I realized they were going to leave me in orbit to die. That’s probably what happened to 18’s CMP. Either that, or they gave him the wrong reentry coordinates, causing him to burn up on purpose. They didn’t want word to get out about what’s been happening on the moon. Well, I resolved to try.

When I swung back around to the farside, the noise was back to a quiet whisper. Soon, I reached the optimal time to make a burn to send the ship home. I switched on the rocket.

Nothing happened.

I began to laugh hysterically. I came to the conclusion that, anticipating this would take place and not wanting to risk us spreading word of what happened, the NASA supplied us with insufficient fuel to get home. There was no hope of my returning to the earth.

This transpired two days ago. Since then, I’ve just been sitting here, contemplating what to do. Meanwhile, the voice has continued to speak to me. I don’t like it. The words make more sense now. They tell me bad things. I don’t know what’d worse, the static from nearside or the whispering voices of farside.

Rather than prolong this torture, I’ve decided to open the hatch without my suit on as soon as I finish writing this down. Hopefully, one day, it will be found. Before I do so though, I would like to issue this one last warning to the earth: do not return to Tsiolkovsky. In fact, do not return to the far side of the moon. All that one will get from here is death.

This is Jim McGraw, Command Module Pilot of Apollo 19, signing off for the last time.

Credit: Samuel Pomerantz

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

27 thoughts on “The Darkness of Farside”

  1. Dear Author
    I listened to a narration of this little gem of yours on CreepsMcPasta’s channel, and I honestly really like it. Not only that, but I would be thrilled if I could get your go ahead to adapt it into a short horror film machinima. I use a sandbox game called “Space Engineers” to produce thriller/Horror machinima, and I’m working on adapting some good sci-fi pastas into their deserved films. If you would like an example, here’s one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWKnLIMunQ
    If you would allow me to adapt your story, I swear I will stay as close and true to the original material as possible, as ’tis only respectful. Email me at [email protected] if you’re interested! Sincerely, fellow writer and a budding film maker
    MrEvan312

  2. Man. Someone should make this into a movie! I would honestly like it better if the pasta was longer and had a tad bit more detail (Like the voyage to the moon. Lots of character development potential right there. Or if McGraw actually went down on the moon before he died.) but overall really creepy story. I enjoyed it a lot! You could definitely turn this into a book or something if you make it long enough. Props man. (P.s you could make a sequel that takes place a little while into the future and what not. I’d definitely read it)

  3. “I creamed in terror”

    Haha

    Good story, but it was lacking depth and genuine fear. The dialogue was excellent, descent pasta…

  4. Samuel Pomerantz

    Thanks very much! I like space pastas too :) currently waiting to hear back on another pasta I submitted.

      1. I almost always prefer to be left with a mystery, especially in a short story. You did a great job with that here, and I certainly meant it as a compliment. I look forward to reading more of your work.

        1. Samuel Pomerantz

          Thanks very much! Recently submitted another, so we’ll see how that goes. Fingers crossed! :)

    1. Samuel Pomerantz

      I wanted to write a horror story on the moon, and I did my best to steer away from that story and tried to be original. That being said, while watching the movie I was curious as to the CMP’s point of view and went off on that premise.

  5. This was okay, though it felt a bit rushed. Maybe give a tiny bit more background on Apollo 18 and a little less detail to the aliens. Your storytelling voice is easy and pleasant to read and I hope you submit more work!

  6. Your writing is some of the best I’ve seen here. I couldn’t detect any grammatical flaws nor any typos. I’m very impressed with this, and you did quite an excellent job building up the suspense.

    And yet, (maybe the fact that I don’t care much for most science-fiction) I feel that the reason why the astronauts were being killed by the entities was a bit underwhelming. And maybe add a bit more of the history of the previously failed launch, and don’t put in much details of the aliens. It would give them a more enigmatic appearance, giving your story some chill and mystery to it.

    Overall, I believe that you have exceptional writing skills and a good foundation of ideas.

    1. There was one I saw I can’t remember where but he used a when he should’ve used an… But this was still a great pasta 10/10

  7. Sounds like this pasta was inspired in part by Apollo 10, where the astronauts reported hearing a strange whistling sound while on the far side of the moon. It was later explained as radio interference between the lunar and command modules, still pretty creepy though. All in all, I liked this pasta, but it might’ve been better if it ended up NOT being moon aliens, I kind of felt like that was the easy way out.

    1. Samuel Pomerantz

      The funny thing is, I wrote this a few months before the story of the noises that Apollo 10 heard was released publicly. You can imagine how spooked I was upon reading about it!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top