Advertisement
Please wait...

The Children on the Stairs



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

I was doing a job for a friend of a friend. I was only charging half what I’d normally charge, but I was doing the job over just two nights, meaning I wasn’t making too much of a loss; there wasn’t a lot in the way of material outlay, either.
It was simple enough: strip out the plaster in the nursery of an old house and replaster it. I’d have my mate with me, so it wasn’t too big of a job. I could have done it in a single day and night, but it was better to say two nights, just in case.

When I saw the place, the first thing I had in my head was, why do they only want one room replastered? I hadn’t met the owner, otherwise I might have asked. The whole place was falling down, a total disaster if you ask me, though it would have been a grand old building if it was done up properly.

As it turned out, I ended up needing both nights after all. My mate Charlie left after the first night. But I’ll get around to that in a minute.

Advertisements

There was a story about this house, though I wasn’t sure at first if it was true or not. The story went that a family had lived there, some time before the Second World War, a family with four children. One night the father had come home from his job at the bank to find a silent house. He called out to his wife and kids, but there was no answer.

On going upstairs to the nursery, the man found a bloodbath. The floor, the walls, even the ceiling, everything was slick with blood. And in the middle of the floor, a jumble of bloody limbs and torsos. The mother was nowhere to be found. The father, in his grief, hanged himself from a tree in the park across the road.

The strangest part was, when the police arrived, they couldn’t find any of the children’s heads.

But like I say, this was before the war, and it was just a story people told around there. The house had been lived in until recently, so I understood, but I couldn’t tell you who had been there.

Now about Charlie.

He’s a big bloke, and not the sort of person you would picture getting scared over nothing. But that first night, at about 10:30 pm, he suddenly stopped still as a statue, the rotten plaster board shaking in his hands.

Advertisements

‘Did you hear that?’

‘What?

‘Like feet running up and down the stairs?’

‘No.’

‘It was like feet, running on the stairs…’

‘I didn’t hear anything, Charlie.’ I thought about teasing him, but stopped myself. Charlie is a big bloke, and he doesn’t have a sense of humour.

‘Little feet,’ he said, carefully putting down the plasterboard.

Charlie walked over to the door and looked out.

‘You’re not thinking about that story are you?’ I asked.

His head whipped round. ‘What story?’

‘Nothing.’

Advertisements

‘What happened here, Bill? Something happened here, didn’t it! Something bad.’

The landing was dark. I could see the top of the lower staircase, the ivory ball on the newel post connected to the mahogany bannister, the deep shadow of the stairwell, and the bottom step of the upper flight of stairs. The rest was dark.

‘Little feet…’ Charlie was muttering.

Without saying another word, Charlie bolted out of the room, whacked the lightswitch on at the top of the stairs, flooding the scene with light, and galloped down the steps, almost flying down them. I heard the front door crash open, and that was the last I saw of Charlie for a very long time.

He hadn’t bothered to shut the front door, so down I went and shut it for him. Then I went back up the stairs, swore under my breath, shook my head, and got back to work.

The second night was tough going. I should have gone back there during the day, but it was my wife’s birthday, and I’d driven her to a spa out in Hemel Hempstead and had to wait around to drive her back again. In the end I got to the house at about 10 pm, annoyed at putting extra pressure on myself, knowing that plaster was best applied during the day.

The room was just as I had left it. All the old wallboards were gone. The new wallboards were up, the seams taped, the wooden battens nailed in place. I got the buckets and started mixing the undercoat.

It was around 2 am and I was almost finished skimming the last section. The battens had been removed and lay in a pile in one corner. It might have been the coffee, but I was feeling a little edgy and I thought I heard the ceiling creak overhead. I got back on with skimming the plaster down and thought nothing of it. But then I heard the ceiling creak again. I told myself it was an old house and the floorboards were warped, but it didn’t do anything to calm my nerves.

At about 2.20 am something made me go out onto the landing. While I was standing there holding my breath, the trowel shaking in my hand, my eyes fell on the ivory balls on the newel posts. There were two of them on the landing, as well as one at the top of the upper flight and one at the end of the lower flight, four altogether, and with a decorator’s eye I began absentmindedly to compare the two on the landing.

Advertisements

They weren’t identical, and it started to bother me. As I got closer to them I realised two things: first of all that there were very fine zigzagged lines running across them, and second, that they weren’t quite the right colour to be ivory.

The ceiling creaked again, loudly.

I ran down the stairs, just as Charlie had done the night before, and sprinted down the street to my van.

I had my phone pressed to my ear even as I turned the key in the ignition.

Something moved in the nursery window.

‘What service do you require? Hello?’

It took me a moment to catch my breath.

‘I want to report some human remains,’ I said.

Credit To – Owen Clayborn

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

36 thoughts on “The Children on the Stairs”

  1. I liked the ending, once he realized what he was looking at he booked it instead of pulling one of those stupid movie endings and being like,”oh wtf is? Omg skulls! Eek.” And staying to possibly get himself killed by ghosts. It was a great ending. He wasn’t dumb.

  2. I have to say I did enjoy this. Very short and sweet.

    Others were confused at the fact that only the single room wanted re-plastering, I’d say because it was the nursery, there might be some ghost remnants there. However I would say that perhaps the bathroom would have been a better choice if that were the case, but then again that might be too obvious.

    I think with a few tweaks it could work very well as a classic ghost story. I’d like a little more meat in this pasta, particularly perhaps a little more coherency to the ‘dead family’ story as it seems a little random.

    I loved the fact that it is never mentioned about the ivory balls, but we know what the narrator has realised from the rest of the story, and Charlie’s repetition of ‘little feet’ is great.

    I’d say 7/10 for me.

  3. the ending felt very rushed … and i probably would have liked a little more description about everything as a whole however it was a good pasta … did take me a moment to realise they were the skulls but still nice … 7.5 / 10

  4. The moment I am looking over my shoulder while reading I know I am reading a good pasta. Just don’t get the creaking ceiling tough, or the movement in the nursery. Is the mother still there or is the place haunted? Would have liked some clarity there. But definitely a good pasta!

  5. i did enjoy this and it took a little longer than I’d like to admit for me to relise the zig-zags were the fissures on the skulls.
    I do really like the story, but it feels rushed – a bit more detail explaining how the narrator was offered the job (by a friend who doesn’t live there), why only work on the nursery (a question brought up but never answered) and why they only just recognised the banister details after working in the house and ascending the steps for two days. Had these points been touched on would have helped make the story feel more complete.

  6. Vincent Bresha

    The only thing is about the ending they don’t tell you what he saw other than the plastered boards… They don’t tell you what he saw so the ending is kind of rushed , other than that I liked it!

  7. To me, the scariest part is that people were living there without realising…

    To anyone confused, the missing children’s skull’s were disguised as the decorative balls you see on the ends of banisters.

  8. JadeLikesRedrum

    This gave me the creeps o.o. The ending felt rushed though could have used a bit more sauce.All in all i give it a 8.5/10

      1. Cora O Riordan

        Yes but surely someone would notice them to be skulls. Unless the skulls were being turned somehow, surely one would notice a fleshless face staring at them from some point on the stairs

        1. Mikki Mae-Mannilla Elkins

          Unless the mother boiled the heads pilled off the skin and placed the skulls on the pillers.

  9. I don’t know how to rate I want to rate it 10 stars but anyways..Nice pasta creeps me out…need some more ending but scary and creepy x_x
    Hahahah awesome !

  10. I liked it. The ending felt a little rushed and I’m not sure I understand it fully,(I may be the only one) but even with that, this story STILL sent chills down my spine, so good on ya, mate!

    1. The “ivory balls” were the children’s heads. It explains the fact why the police couldn’t find the heads earlier.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top