Advertisement
Please wait...

The Song



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

Come, Traveler. You are weary. Rest a while here, it’s perfectly fine. Take a load off your feet and get something to eat; you look like you could use a good meal. You are a wanderer, far from home, am I right? How did I know? Well, everyone who comes through here is like you. Why else would you come to a place like this, except if you were on the road, lost, seeking… something. But what is it you seek?

My name? My name doesn’t matter. I’m just a simple old woman who enjoys giving travelers such as yourself some comfort. But if you insist, you may call me Lydia. And while you rest, Traveler, let me tell you a story. I’ve seen much of the world, as you yourself hope to one day, and I’ve collected some good ones.

Do you know of those the Greeks called the Sirens? Those three enchantresses, gifted and cursed with the voices of angels. Their singing would consume a man entirely, and drive him to his own destruction. Few know their song, of course, for anyone who hears it is doomed never to tell if its beauty, at least in this world. The ultimate mystery–a sound that is lethal! How can one discover what such a song sounds like? Even the dread Gorgon’s gaze may be dared through a mirror, but a sound is either heard or not, and to hear it is to hear no more forever. But I know it.

What about Odysseus? Yes, he did listen to the song and survive. But he was never able to reproduce it. No mortal could. And as he entered old age, his mind forgot its details. He never passed it along. In fact, Jason and his bold crew also escaped the clutches of the song, but only because the music of Orpheus overwhelmed it. He alone, of anyone before or since, had a skill in music to rival those three. But none of his crew heard the notes coming from above.

Where was I? Oh, right. Many of the great bards of old have claimed to know the song. They have said it was about knowledge, about power, about beauty. One of your more recent poets claimed the Sirens sang of weakness, and that only the sailor to whom they sang could rescue them. And they were all wrong. And they were all right.

See, one cannot know the words to the song. One cannot know them, because there are none. The song of the siren is a tune. A melody. The oldest–

Advertisements

I can’t tell you how I know, that would spoil the surprise! I can tell you that what I say is true. You’ll just have to trust me for now. I’ll explain later. My, my, you are a curious one. That’s why you came here, though? Why you came to this place, this dismal corner of the world? To learn, to seek knowledge? To see the things that stare at you from the darkness, to know what goes bump in the night? Well, I can tell you. But you’ll have to listen to me first. Just come along, and I will give you the knowledge you seek.

The song is nothing but a melody. The oldest, saddest, sweetest melody ever heard on this earth. It works into your head, takes your desires, your hopes, whatever you most long for, and uses them to draw you in. It promises redemption to the guilty conscience, love to the lonely heart… and knowledge to the hungry mind.

The minds of mortals are wonderful things. They are powerful enough to take this tune and thoroughly convince themselves they are hearing words, and that those words happen to fulfill even those desires they cannot admit to themselves. And yet, at the same time, they are feeble enough to be sucked in by their wants, to lose sight of all else, including their own impending destruction. But can you really blame them? Can you really blame yourself?

Advertisements
Advertisements

No, I still can’t tell you how I know; all in good time. But I have so many other stories to tell. Just keep walking with me. Follow me, and I will fill your head with such wondrous tales, your thirst for truth, for knowledge, will finally be satisfied. Just a little farther. So come along, Traveler, just one… more… step…

Credit To – Tiberius

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

14 thoughts on “The Song”

  1. Old Timer the sirens don’t make you deaf. They lead you to your death. They live on an island and sailors stear their ships into rocks to reach them.

  2. So basically this old woman may or may not be a siren in disguise and she is actually singing the siren song in order to enchant the male traveller. As she later describes further on into this ‘story’, the siren song characteristically is just a mere melody which gives the illusion of words that draw you in. These words are those that use your deepest desires and wishes and stuff and promise you the acquisition of the same desires that you have.
    Now this male traveller, what he wants to achieve is great knowledge and wisdom, and the woman is giving him the key to the same. *drumroll*

  3. Ok, now I’m guessing that this was suppose to be figured out before the actual “reveal” so I must say. I think it was very well written, though I’m never very fond of the the whole imagine what is being said by the traveler (You) way of writing.

  4. Nice try at a twist ending, but I kind of saw it coming when she said that by telling who she was would uncover the secret. And how else would she of been able to hear the tune but not become deaf?
    Also, are you trying to say that sirens are real? Because that makes so much more sense of what ancient sailors said they saw.

  5. first let me say FIRST!!!!! Second this was a good read i sorta figured it out half way through and because I’m a generous GOD I give it 8 of 10 :)

  6. I really liked this interpretation of the siren legend. Very interesting take, and pretty well executed. I wish there had been a bit more mystery to the speaker’s identity throughout, because I felt it was revealed pretty early on, but I still very much enjoyed reading. I also liked the narrative style and voice used here. It’s very conversational and soothing, which fits the goal of the story. A very subtle creepy, relying on the inherent risk of something that can perfectly mimic and promise inmost desires, only to use that against you. Thanks for a thought provoking and enjoyable read. Happy writing!

    1. I agree that it became pretty clear the speaker was a siren in the first few lines. But, otherwise, it was a really good story.

  7. I liked the subject well enough-the Greeks were some of my favorite ppl in ancient history, and I love their myths and monsters-soo cool.But there wasn’t really enough happening here to draw me in.It was well written, though, and I would read a longer story with some action in it by this author. :)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top