Advertisement
Please wait...

Snowscape



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

It’s been a while since I had anything like human contact, so I’ll attempt to be as brief as I can. At least the sound of typing is noise, and the echoes it produces are the nearest thing to a reply I’ve had in months.

I lost my job back in August. The dollar’s dropping, the economy’s poor, and son, you just aren’t a competitive investment anymore.

I’m young and I don’t have bills, so I took it in stride. The days of day zero closure notices and no parachutes were stories I’d only heard from my bitterest relatives, and besides, it’s hard to feel betrayed when you grow up learning these things really are only business. I collected my generous severance and decided to take a week off or so. A few years of being on call made me appreciate the value of a vacation, whatever form it was in, and my girlfriend and I had our savings.

Advertisements

Like any self respecting nerd, the week quickly became a blur of pizza orders every two days, progressing day by day into a schedule defined by creeping nocturnalness. The girl complained, but she often did. To be perfectly honest, her sleeping form in the bedroom soon became far more familiar to me than her waking self, a persona I now only encountered during the blurry hours just before I slept and just after I woke.

A week became two weeks, then a month. Slowly, the creaks and groans and occasionally startling shuffles of the old apartment building we lived in lost their frightening nature. I’d always been the horror junky, and I suppose my jaded nature made such assimilations much more graceful. In time, even the intermittantly flickering streetlights and faint chatter or the distant televisions, conversations, apparitions, or whatever existed in the building became more reassuring than unsettlings. I even began to fancy the old stain in the bathroom linoleum, which the landlord swore was wine and I believed was blood, had begun to fade.

Like you’d expect from any nocturnal, unemployed gamer, my relationship with my girlfriend quickly went downhill. Our infrequent conversations grew more heated and then more frigid, an affair of pauses and token acknowledgements. She started going out more. After a while, she stopped coming home more. After that, she stopped coming home at all. I barely noticed. I don’t think I noticed much of anything at that point. The days blurred more, and I could rarely remember if I had eaten, when I had woken, or how long I had been like this. I began to forget what the daytime really seemed like, even the struggling blue-grey of dawn and dust receded as the winter set in. Days became measured in a succession of the flickering street light’s sick yellow sodium arc.

After a while I began to notice a distinct absence in the air. The times I did come to enough to remember to shower or eat, I was drowned in the smell of the building collection of garbage bags in the kitchen, and the sullen stillness of the white courtyard beneath my windows. I often wondered how it could have so little snow, barely six inches, at any time, yet never display a single footstep too or from the darkened windows. At least, I’d think, the neighbors were quiet. Even the nocturnal whispers from the ducting had seemed to grow muted and fade until I no longer could distinguish them from the gentle hum of the building’s innards.

After maybe the fourth or fifth time I experienced these moments of clarity I resolved to remove the trash. The small had faded from sharp to mute, a sweet and musty reminder of life amidst the sharp winter air leaking in through the ill-maintained windows. It repulsed me.

Advertisements
Advertisements

With some effort, I gathered as many bags as I could and struggled through door after door. I winced at every bang and crash at the door, with no leaking sounds of televisions left I had nothing to gauge my racket, and every moment seemed to tear at the brittle air of the building. Around then I noticed I could see my breath, though I did not feel any colder than normal.

After an eternity pushing through the empty hallways, I pushed through the front door of the building into the cutting air outside. A low, constant hum echoed off the snow as the wind pushed over the undisturbed snowcover all about me, forming an inch high mist of blowing grains, tumbling and twisting over the dunes which had formed on the adjascent parking lot, piling on the doors of the various stores which lined the streets. I briefly wondered how bad the weather had been lately, to push the life out of city so thoroughly, then pushed my way down what memory served was the sidewalk, keeping to the edge of the building like it was a life tether.

By half-forgotten habit, and perhaps a morbid curiosity of what other humans looked like, I strained to see through each mirror like window for signs of movement or habitation. What blinds were drawn displayed vacant apartments, tinfoil to block the sun, the occasional poorly-placed shelf or couch. Not a single shuffle or rustle escaped into the vacuumous winter atmosphere.

Advertisements

I rounded the corner to the back alley to find the hulking form of a garbage truck in the alley, laden with snow and ice until it seemed more an ancient monument to the cold than a sign of civilization. It should have seemed unsettling to me, but by then I was so eager to abandon the icey landscape to the relative warming tones of my monitor’s glow my only thought was to drop the garbage off and set back inside my apartment. I rushed down its length and in front of it, ready to throw the bags overhand into the dumpster, when I was stopped by the only light to eminate from the cab of the truck, the rapidly scrawling digits of a radio scanner, visible through the open door of the cab, pushing its tenuous glow on a clipboard and pen.

Abandoning my garbage, I lifted myself into the cab and attempted to read from the frost-bound paragraphs tightly wound over the paper. Near the bottom, ink blurred by its inability to set in what must have been well frozen paper at the time, was scrawl “Four weeks now. Even the radios have gone quiet. -67c last time a station got through. Gas froze last night. Need to find someone”.

I looked back up, down the alley, across the snowscape of parking lots and buildings being swallowed by snow, and listened hard to the howl of ice over ice. I tried to imagine wolves, or mocking voices, or anything from the hellscapes of the stories I had studied so thoroughly, but the tone never changed, never let up or grew louder.

It’s a lonely place, missing the end of the world.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

65 thoughts on “Snowscape”

  1. DivinitySwordEoLs

    Maybe the main character is no longer alive if the writer actually made no error for the pizza and internet part. Since the days blurs by, maybe he made everything up in his mind about the internet and pizza since he don’t feel cold. And then one day he decided to go out. Just my opinion considering the fact that theres no errors in the logic of the story.

  2. I don’t see anything that leads to him possibly being a ghost… other than he SHOULD have died along with everyone else…

  3. This pasta was okay, but the noodles were too stuck together. Meaning, I spent most of my time picking it apart before I got to eat it.

  4. I’m pretty sure, that being a gamer, he will think of this as an opportunity to O/C his rig to awesome frequencies in order to warm his place up as well improve the quality of his gaming experience.

  5. So if the world ended, everyone’s dead etc etc, who was supplying his power, the hot water for him to shower in, his pizzas, and so on. Story makes no sense.

  6. O.M.G. I found my freakin soulmate: a nocturnal freak-o who doesn’t eat or sleep.

    Anyhow, OT, maybe HE CAUSED the cold weather eh? That would explain why he’s the only one who survived and who doesn’t feel how cold it is outside.

    Which leads me to think that if a pandemic disease were to break out on our civilization, only those nerdy stay-out-home-never-come-out people will survive. They won’t be exposed to other contagious people and will therefore live off canned food for months. They won’t notice the lack of water for showering and if their electricity were to go out, they’d have enough comic books to last them for life.

    Moral of this story: Be one of those people. It’s a good idea.

  7. Several different ways you could take the story. Think that’s always part of the charm with these kinds of tales. That the author doesn’t spell shit out and leaves it ultimately up to the reader to fancy whatever till their hearts content.

  8. I have the feeling the world didn’t end, just most of his city. The national guard or something showed up to evacuate people in the terrible blizzard, which has now subsided to just kinda cold. The area isn’t destroyed, they didn’t bother to turn off utilities, thinking the weather would be through soon, and the guy, I assume fat, hasn’t eaten in a while, although drinking from the water tap. This is why he both stopped being able to feel cold and smell the trash (he’s wasting away) while still being able to game.

    Thoughts?

  9. I thought it was sort of well written…the way it was intriguing…
    but all i can think of honestly is ‘LOL, he play World of Warcraft til the end of the world’

    so it makes the story less intriguing.
    like…how did the radios go quiet but he’s still got internet?! hehhhh?!
    did he still order pizza?
    why on earth was he the one kept alive?
    but yeah, those questions will forever be unanswered 2.8 out of 5

  10. This story was NOT well written. You repeat words like crazy! “After I pushed through the hall for an eternity, I pushed through the door.” Come on!

    I wasn’t feeling this one at all. About 1/3rd of the way through the horrible winter description, I said to myself “I get the point, let’s get moving.”

  11. i am a heron. i haev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

  12. Him as a ghost could definitly work, and would explain why he didn’t notice anything amiss for so long. I mean, I already kinda think that when you die, you end up where you think you’ll go, so…

    Thank you for making me look at it that way.

  13. I really liked this while I was reading it (I know I have had times where I didn’t see anyone else for days and I was really starting to sympathize) I really didn’t like the end, I expected him to find his building had been condemned and he some how still had power/net or some such thing with just some extra little twist to make it creepy… I guess the moral is just if we dont interact with people we might just miss out on it forever…

  14. There were a lot of grammar errors that kept throwing me off during the story, and one thing struck me in the beginning that just made me not like it since it didn’t make sense….

    “I’m young and I don’t have bills…”

    “…the old apartment building we lived in…”

    He (the narrator) never mentions anyone but himself and the girlfriend. So, I have to ask, WHO WAS PAYER OF BILLS?

  15. It doesn’t work! Even insane people need heat, and food, and drink. Which all would have been cut off if it was really that cold out.

    What makes scary pasta is the idea that it could happen to anyone, not just some random dude who has the magical ability to hibernate.

  16. This was terribly written. I couldn’t keep concentrating on it for more than a few minutes.
    I’m honestly trying to grasp the concept.

  17. He’s a “gamer” and didn’t realize the world ended? What the fuck, is he playing single player?

    “Every CS:S server has been empty for 5 weeks, hmm…”

  18. i liked this. it would have done better without the girlfriend and a better description of the apartment. The absolute most important part of any horror story is to make a social commentary. Horror deals with fear, and fear usually comes from a lack of knowledge. That’s why the most frightening stories are mysterious and reveal to the reader something new and vivid about his life that he has never considered before.

  19. @dw

    Very nice. I didn’t even think to assume that, but it makes complete sense. That would also explain the fact that he felt no cold.

  20. I really, really liked this.

    It was scary but not n the OO GONNA HAVE NIGHTMARES way, just scary how it could happen and someone wouldn’t notice.

    Loveit.

  21. Fist I was “Get to the point and at the end “good pasta” BUT how did he surive this.How was he out wiht -67 without felling cold???

  22. You missed the part where he forgot about eating and sleeping and showering and fell into himself. I kind of took the story as maybe he went insane? Who knows though that was just my take.

    Well done.

  23. D8 Sound like something I would do.

    This sounds like “The Guy in Room X”, where he slept through the end of the world.

  24. It’s well-written and intriguing, but if it really were the end of the world, how does he still have electricity and, presumably, the internet to keep him entertained? Did he just stop ordering pizzas too?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top