Advertisement
Please wait...

Mould



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

My best friend was in Pompeii.

I wasn’t, of course, or I wouldn’t be standing here staring down at a museum display titled “A BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!” A kitsch red LED volcano flickering gently in the background, flinging deep shadows across expressions of abject misery behind a velvet rope for the small children to point sticky fingers at. Speakers rumble in the distance. One little girl bursts into inconsolable howling at the sight; or perhaps it’s the ruddy glowering threat that the same’s imminent to be visited on us. I like her immensely. Her father carries her out.

In fact, some years before Pompeii’s last days came about I had found myself dutifully lugging my scant possessions down the road with tail tucked between my legs; off to marry, of all things. That’s what you did back then when your family saw fit to offload you; and should be the match be prestigious enough “poof!” you were magically absolved of the past to boot – not even the neighbours could sneer behind closed doors anymore. Far away and footsore, then. Out of sour, miserably small mind and all that.

Advertisements

The distance didn’t matter, of course; my best friend and I were soul mates. I never ventured far before I could feel the line drawing me back in, calling me home. Our simpatico a secret treasure; far too precious to sport on your sleeve because so rare, as much then as now. Women don’t ever seem to connect, not truly. They’ve sharp noses for challenge, and too readily recognise and condemn what lurks within. How are you expected to place faith in a mysterious threatening other when personal trust barely stretches so far as you could throw yourself?

But we had somehow weathered that giggly, prickly rivalry of youth when any second double-edged friendship can slide into outright envious warfare, sparking bitter feuds to last the ages. I’d no reason on earth to disbelieve we would hobble on together into our decline, achieving that comfortable state where it no longer matters what hell your crumbling shell resembles or how it’s dressed.

And then at last two alike minds could tentatively reach out and clasp hands; honouring other, recognising self.

And she … she helped me. My best friend helped me when nobody else could. There’d not been another soul under all the wide skies like her: the natural outcast, the outsider; none other to so much as recognise my peril. Even I ascertained the threat only vaguely. To me it was no more than a dim line of smoke barely noticed, way off in the distance. Who could see harm in the tiny cough of a newly arrived baby?

Afterward, there were never any accusations of crime: where’s the point when it burns in every eye until the very air ignites? For decency’s sake I had to abandon home and trudge into the unknown to join some fat bastard I’d never met in holy matrimony.

Thus I escaped Pompeii, and so my name has changed over and again along with the multitudes of the living, heaving world. But not so those who were there, left mute and encysted. Not her. And it grieves me deeply to recall how pertly she’d once turned up her nose at donning a nicer dress, at playing along, her flat refusal in short to be any damn thing but herself; because now she never will be.

Advertisements

But she remains my best friend. Our hold is firm. Every time I am squeezed into life, thrust out into the world through blood and muck she is the very first thing I feel: before light, before air. And that’s when I remember Pompeii. I even used to hear her murmuring, sealed away down there. So I guess in a way I’m no more than myself, either.

They went and dug up the town – many many years later, of course. Avid for knowledge, sick enough for sensation to go grubbing around in the dirt. They mixed buckets of cold plaster on site, their improvised wooden paddles going round and round in the thin early Mediterranean light. It would have been hard messy work; arm muscles already burning, shoulders stuffed with ache and complaint. Shoes splattered for the wife to shriek at when they got home.

Advertisements

With long thin tools they drilled down to Pompeii’s lost people, who cried out with joy at that first hint of sunlight and air. Finally after all this crushing immobile time there came to the buried hope of rescue, of freedom. I heard my best friend, as the drill whined its way through pumice and compressed ash. While flakes of burned building sifted down onto her. Everyone and their lives were down there: my family, all those sullen despised neighbours; and in fact I’ve recognised familiar contortions in the frozen grimaces at the museum; but I’ve never heard any of the others. What do I care for them, anyhow? None of them ever helped me.

I heard my friend weeping, too overburdened to bear it.

But those who had not yet managed to go mad sealed down in the dark had another thing coming, for in went the plaster. The merest golden hint of the wild free sky gleaming in – oh sweet heaven yes, deliver us! Do you remember birds? I remember birds – but then a deluge of thick icy cold clotted down the tube and salvation was blotted out. Thrashing in the dark, screams turning to heavy choked gurgles as the narrow space filled.

The cold was so intense that my breath frosted out of my lungs in a rush, painfully colder than the surrounding air. I was sped to hospital where conscientious staff irrigated my abdominal cavity with warm saline and, when I shuddered and flailed awake, rather gleefully announced that I’d been dead for four whole minutes. Gathered excitedly about my bed they were so very proud of resuscitating me, and didn’t at all understand why I wept.

Advertisements

I think I tried to rush to my friend and gather her in my arms, straining to pull her from her prison. But four minutes was just not long enough. I still heard her shrieking hysterically for succour, as they all must have screamed; those who waited so long in the dark and ought to have been saved. As the frigid killing cold consumed them. Not only a new sensation but a final one, filling up everything until cold was all there was left, and it went on forever.

As the plaster stiffened so did they; and although I still feel her drawing me home I have heard my best friend’s voice no more. She inhabits a hard, silent place in my mind now. And she’s so profoundly cold.

And I, who deserved it so much less; I have lived my quiet times over and over. Always plagued with poor circulation, chill at the fingertips, at risk of losing them, I gravitate to warmer climes. Never too close to anybody. I have borne children. I’ve sat blissfully in the sunlight. I visit the museum countless times, to stand and look on my friend’s horror-stricken face.

All I dare hope is that I might well be unto my best friend as she has been to me. And so the unchanging frozen scar on my soul which is forever entombed may, in her, bloom.

Credit To – BP Gregory

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

21 thoughts on “Mould”

  1. a this story is boring, inaccurate and sounds like some pseudo intelligent jerk found a thesaurus. if they were trying to sound smart or write something deep then this story is nothing but a fail

  2. A little late to the game, but for me, I personally found this to be one of my favorite pastas ever. When you come in contact with a new person I have always believed a thread of connection is made. Of course some threads are brighter, stronger and more complex and not easily broken like with a soulmate. A thread like that could last through countless incarnations and if the soul on the other end was literally sealed into an incarnation then it would make it more plausible that the person who isn’t “stuck” would have an easier time accessing past life memories through their connection. This is truly a horror story. I for one am grateful to not have many memories of past lives!

  3. Wtf?! It’s like the writer just threw a bunch of words together trying to sound intelligent. “Trying”… because it did not work

  4. If I were to venture a guess, everyone from Pompeii is buried and “immortal” because they have not had a proper burial and/or their souls are stuck under the ash. As the ages went on, they started to give up hope, but then the excavators came. The bodies/souls rejoiced in the idea they would be getting the funeral rites they should have, but instead their souls were covered in plaster, thus never able to “move on.” The protagonist can’t move on until her (I think it’s a her, the way the story is written) soul mate is put to rest… and it appears that will never happen, given what has been done to her soul mate’s body. Now she is hoping she can, by going on and living, give her soul mate some sort of feeling of freedom since she (the protagonist) has it.

    Those pointing out the protagonist should long be dead, notice she discusses how cold her fingers get and she gravitates to warmer climates to keep them from getting worse. She is, in essence, a soul stuck in a body that should be dead and gone long since, but is still alive.

    1. Not to mention, plaster is formed into “molds”, not “moulds”. I doubt the author intended the title to be a play on words since mould plays no part in the story .

  5. Yeah it’s just a really weird thing if they were trying to write with that aspect considering the excavation of pompeii wasn’t until YEARS after the initial tragedy. The people would have died reguardless from starvation and dehydration even if, for some unexplained reason, they survived the initial pyroclastic flow. That basically inclosed the bodies in a cast and they just poured the plaster in to get the body shape and some features. Considering the person who is telling the story would have died years beforehand from old age or starving, it just doesn’t make sense at all.

  6. From what I could gather, our protagonist is immortal. Not the “can’t die at all” kind, but the “reincarnated” kind.

    The protagonist had a soulmate back in Pompeii, and she died when the Vesuv erupted, while our protagonist was sent away to an arranged marriage.

    Nowadays, he/she visits the excavated remains (well, more the plaster casting, since that’s how the archaeologists secured the people who died back then, that also explains the part about plaster filling their space in the middle of the story)of his/her friend in the museum.

    Our protagonist almost dies in the museum (I can’t really tell what happens to him, he’s probably having a fit because of his thoughts) and is sped to the hospital where he’s actually dead for four minutes. The time is not enough to meet with his soulmate, though, it seems.

    As English isn’t my first language, the story was fairly hard to follow for me as well. Still, I felt that it was very well written, the strange tone and abrupt cuts very fitting for a immortal character.

    I liked it, and I hope more people can get into the strange style of narration.

  7. When they excavated the site of pompeii, they poured plaster into the layers where they expected the bodies to be, to preserve them in their final position, I guess this is saying what if they were not dead until the plaster.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top