Advertisement
Please wait...

June 2013 Discussion Post: Most Underrated and Overrated Creepypastas



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

This month’s discussion topic was suggested by YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

I see a lot of comments that carry the theme of, “I don’t understand how this pasta has such a [low/high] rating” – so for all you people who love to rage against the ratings, here’s your chance to enlighten the masses.

First, which pasta do you think is criminally underrated? Is there a pasta on the site that you think deserves far more attention and praise than it has actually received?

Advertisements
Advertisements

Second, on the flip side – are there any pastas that you think are incredibly overrated? What pastas do you think simply don’t live up to their hype and why do you feel that way?

Advertisements

I’ll also take this moment to remind everyone that the Creepypasta Ratings Index exists – it lists every single pasta ordered from highest-rated to the lowest-rated. You can also see the amount of votes that the pasta has received overall. Ignore the Review column; it’s -1 for every pasta as it’s a function that we don’t use, but I can’t display the ratings tables without it showing up for whatever reason.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

196 thoughts on “June 2013 Discussion Post: Most Underrated and Overrated Creepypastas”

  1. My favorite pasta to date is still Lorraine. It got a decent rating, but most of the comments were talking about how typical it was. I will allow that, as the story did contain a lot of overused horror/mystery aspects to it, but nonetheless, it scared the bejeezus out of me and told a very compelling, terrifying story about messing with the supernatural. As far as an overrated pasta, my vote is Jeff the Killer. It is very scary and the story definitely led me to believe that it could have happened, but I just didn’t enjoy reading it that much.

  2. I think “North” is an underrated creepypasta, it is VERY good for a run on pasta of the artists quick choosings and it feels like it is a great reading of events that was never done in other pasta’s before, he made it with stuff that do make a GREAT pasta for a run on reading.

  3. Underrated: Normal Porn for Normal People
    A psychotic killer who posts depraved porn online? Interesting, and then there’s the chimpanzees which eat him. Wat.

    Overrated: Jane & Jeff the Killer. Jeff the killer isn’t scary. In fact, he looks derpy. The story follows no logic and is totally ridiculous.

    As for Jane the re-color? I mean, Jane the killer? Terrible.

  4. You don't need to know.

    Underrated- The Weaver, or The Holders Series. Both of these are amazingly written, chilling pastas, that deserve much more recognition.
    Overrated- Jeff. The. Killer. To me, he’s not scary at all. I mean, yes, the visuals are pretty creepy, but once you get used to the picture, it’s just another meme. But as for the story, it’s not scary at all. It’s just another ‘kid goes completely insane and murders his entire family’ type of story. Nothing that actually gets you freaked out, and makes you rethink all of your life decisions, like the stories I enjoy.

  5. For the people hating on Jeff The Killer stop using unrealistic as a reason to hate on it. These stories aren’t meant to be realistic or to scare you. These stories are meant to give you an interesting, chilling, or creppy story to read. Remember everyone has a different opinion on what chilling, creppy, and interesting is. Just because you don’t think the story is creepy or realistic doesn’t mean other people don’t. It’s a fictional story. If it was intended to be true it’d say so…. A more valid reason to hate on the story would be the plot or how well it’s written. Jeff The Killer has a great idea and would make a Fantastic story if it was thought through a little more. It almost seems as though the story was rushed, especially towards the end. I personally like the story I just wish it was a little better or had more to it. The story itself leaves me with a lot of questions but I don’t think people should hate it as much as they do, instead say it could use improvement.

  6. Not sure if it’s still about on here, but I think Are You Awake, Daddy? is fairly disturbing. My first experience with the pasta was hearing Cry read it on YouTube (worth checking out if you haven’t already… Cry has one of those voices that was made for storytelling ;) ). It just gets me freaking that you never know exactly what the entity is or it’s intentions towards the guy’s daughter, not mentioning that the thing is inches from the father’s face when he awakens. I also like the tale Pacemaker, because the guy is utterly powerless to resist the thing that is coming for him or prevent it from using his body… and the description of it’s howl being akin to a fox in the night, if the fox in point came from somewhere beyond our realm… SPINE-CHILLING!

  7. I may get flamed for this, but Russian Sleep Experiment has always been overrated to me. Simply because, you know, fatal familial insomnia is an actual thing where people stop sleeping, develop dementia, become unresponsive and die over the course of about six months (makes 15 days sound like nothing). Just one of those cases of truth being scarier than fiction.

  8. Ok, people, STOP MENTOINING JEFF THE KILLER! Don’t get me wrong. It was super crazy. But it gets boring just to see the same opinions and same arguments about it again and again. The most underrated for me most be candlecove. Very short, and very… Strange. Most overrated has to be cupcakes. It was very boring, really annoying and hardky creepy.

  9. In the past, I had come across a particularly interesting Creepypasta whose name I cannot recall. I remember it detailing a man who lived alone in a house during the end of the world and would listen in fear of the what was happening outside. Partway in, he decides to provide shelter to an injured stranger. The stranger recovers and then reveals that he is part of a top secret organizations that houses dangerous entities (SCP Foundation, although it is never explicitly stated). The stranger asks the man if he would keep the knowledge of the organization a secret after he is told that the organization could “reboot” mankind. The conversation ends after the man declares he will do everything he can to expose the organization. The story ends with the man’s house shown to be under the sea or ocean showing the cover-up of the existence of the man to prevent him from exposing the Foundation.

  10. The most overrated pasta is The Scariest “Story” Ever. It just.. isn’t scary.. at all. I just don’t get it. It’s just some guy finding a video with a person talking. It.. wasn’t.. scary… Just.. nuh-uh. ._.

    The most underrated pasta is Laughing Jack. You may think I’m crazy, but I hang out with a lot of creepypasta fans, and most of them haven’t even read his story! I’ll bet, that most of you first heard about him was in a Jeff The Killer fan-fiction. He doesn’t get da love he deserves ;( *dramatic exit with sad music playing*

  11. DoyoulikeNightmares

    Underrated pastas are NormalPornForNormalPeople.com, Little Pink Backpack, Lost Episodes, Funnymouth and Love. Most overrated pastas are Jeff The Killer, Slenderman, Squidwards Suicide, Dead Bart, Sonic.exe and Tails Doll.

  12. Most Underrated – The Melancholy Of Herbert Solomon. One of my favorites yet, and that’s actually saying something, because I’ve read countless pastas, spending night after night on this site and many more. It handles the creepy element so well in parallel with the slight remorseful stir in the reader’s mind, something very few pastas can pull off.

    Most Overrated – Jeff the Killer. Sure, the picture is creepy enough to make anyone crap their pants, the story itself is not worthy of all the hype, not in the very freaking least.

    (close run for overrated, Dead Bart. Seriously, Fallout 3: Numbers Station is a far more creepier and better written plot, given how they deal with the same idea)

  13. TehSmartestDummy

    TBH, I think Jeff and Squidward’s Suicide are still good pastas sure, they are pretty over-rated now but I still think that they’re just as good as they were when they were first written. (Prepares anus for negative votes) Some I DO think are over-rated are Dead Bart and the Ed, Edd, and Eddy lost episode. They’re just not as gripping as S.S. or any other lost episode pastas (Happy Appy, Candle Cove,etc.)…long comment is long

  14. Overrated i can think of a few, but the one that stands out, that rises above the rest, is the pure essence of the word “overrated”, is the one and only jeff the killer. There are so many obvious reasons it’s not that great or even good, it’s a little sad that it has any following at all. For one thing it just plain dosen’t make any sense. The characters are all so one-dimesional, with no character growth ,excluding Jeff, and with his brother and bullies being such large parts of the story you’d think they’d have a little more to their thought process. Jeff isn’t scary or even intimidating at all when you really think about it. He cut off his eyelids which would, in time, render him blind. Eyelids keep your eyes protected, moist and healthy. It would’nt be hard to get away or even kill Jeff if he came at you.

    As for underrated, these are some of my favorites.
    Mr. Widemouth
    Rap rat
    Emma
    How to play hide and seek alone
    The strangest security tape i have ever seen

  15. MOST OVERRATED: Happy Appy
    Just… why? I could probably go on a 30 minute rant about it, but basically: It may have detail to it, there’s no emotion to it, and outside of the creepy image of the apple smiling, I just don’t understand hows it’s scary or even popular (least Jeff and Slenderman have meme value to them). Now to be fair, I think whoever made the story did try, and its nowhere near the worst creepypasta I’ve read, I’d say its overall average.
    creepypasta.wikia.com/Happy_Appy

    MOST UNDERRATED: the Ultimate Problem Solver
    A long read that is worth it, when it comes to character, I believe this creepypasta has it down. I don’t want to say say too much due to spoilers, but the premise is of a women forever affected by a tragic event that happened years earlier trying to raise kids while the rest of the world is going to shit, as it appears that the world is going to end. If you’re looking for story, THIS is a must read! To warn some of you thou, it’s NSFW, and like I mentioned earlier, its a really long read for a creepypasta, but it’ll make you think about life and the values you hold. I’d honestly compare this to Stephen King its that good!
    (*Guess I should add I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream too, but I don’t count it as a creepypasta since it was made in the 60’s)
    creepypasta.wikia.com/The_Ultimate_Problem_Solver
    creepypasta.wikia.com/I_Have_No_Mouth_And_I_Must_Scream

  16. Here’s a defense towards the Slender Man: while he has become quite overrated, the problem is that people don’t really utilize his full potential. By that, I mean that for every good thing made out of him, there’s many bad ones that pollute the mythos with cliches. The Slender Man isn’t scary because he can be used as a generic monster. He is scary because he embodies the Uncanny Valley and renews childhood fears, and the best part is when he is portrayed in a minimalistic way. Hopefully more people will realize this and do something new, but for now we’re being bogged down by cliche-ridden tripe. So don’t hate the monster or the myth; hate how often it is poorly used.

  17. WHO WAS MOBILE?

    Well, Jeff the Killer stories are terribly overrated. A story I found very good was the “Fallout 3 numbers station” I know it sounds cliche and it doesn’t have blood and Gore but it’s creepy and one of those stories you worry about after. It even sounds real! So yeah.

    WHO WAS MOBILE?

  18. I hate Jeff the Killer and he is always associated with Creepypasta. It’s unfortunate that he and Slendy get all the attention.

  19. I know it may be a little late with it being July now but, I’m going to say it anyway. Two really under rated ones are Laughing Jack and BOB. Neither are on the site. Laughing Jack is on deviant and Bob’s on the wiki. There both incredible stories that are worth a read.
    http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/BOB
    http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Laughing_Jack
    I know derp that you have a rule that they have to be submitted to you but that are both great stories that deserve to be on the site.

  20. I’m putting this here because I don’t know where else to put this. Apparently I have been blacklisted from crappypasta, and I have no idea why. If I have (unintentionally) broken the rules, please point out where. But I can comment on here just fine.

    1. You have plenty of comments in the crappypasta comment moderation queue. Please remember that comments are not visible until I personally approve them. You may have just gotten used to me being around when you were commenting before and so it seemed instant.

  21. I think that “Drakness” is underrated. It’s current rating is 8.7, which isn’t bad though I do reckon that it deserves a higher rating.

  22. The most underrated IMHO are any of Humper Monkeys stories. The prose might be a bit off here and there but their solid, well written stories by someone who definitely spent time on deployment to cold war Germany. Also Quiet by Joseph K, if you have not read this pasta stop what you are doing and go read. You won’t be disappointed.

  23. this isn’t a creepypasta (i don’t think) but the scariest story I’ve ever heard is “Laughing Jack.” I heard it on YouTube and it still freaks me out.

  24. One of the most underrated creepypastas EVER is the Case File series. Seriously. They are so disturbing and graphic and gory. And the author did an amazing job at describing the scenery and the murders. You need to all look it up. Read it. Listen to Mr. Creepypasta narrate the first 4 parts on YouTube.. it is a 10 part series so it will keep you reading and coming back for more. It is written by “Fear_Of”. Seriously people. Go look it up.

    Also, the most overrated is probably… any pokemon/video game/cartoon creepypasta. Those topics are just all so over done. It gets old really fast.

  25. Most underrated is easily Anasi’s Goatman. It was a 4chan /x post so it got little to no attention but it is one of few pastas that actually got me worked up. As for most overrated I’d have to go with The Holder Series… It was good the first 3 times but now there really isn’t any more horror to behold so it becomes the same.

  26. Dunbar the bloody red

    can somebody please explain why jeff the killer is soooooooo popular? i find it hard to get scared of a fat kid with a carved up face.

  27. Reading the comments on The Story of Her Holding an Orange is really disheartening. “The ending is the title! Forget the fact that there is more!” They’re like swine, eating anything thrown into the feeding trough.

  28. ooo another one sonic exe a few pixels cant show much expression either way its very very very sad how so many people like it when it kinda just flattens itself into patheticness :( sorry if anyone liked it my opinion

  29. I think “The Showers” is WAY underrated. It gave me chills just reading about it. it still frightens me a little and I read it sometime last week. You know it’s a good story when I’m still thinking about how creepy it is!

  30. Being relatively new to creepypasta, I can say that while Squidward’s Suicide isn’t too believable I think it has some really good storytelling qualities in it. The mental picture you can paint while reading is what makes a good story. My mental picture was downright disturbing. The actual image that goes with the article doesn’t help.

    Like I said I’m a bit new to creepypasta. Having said that, Slenderman was ruined for me before I ever read anything about it. Faaaaaar too much word of mouth and fake documentary nonsense.

  31. I have to say that I personally think that the art of Jacob Emory was way overrated I just didnt like the story however the writing style is great the story however leaves so much more to be gained

    one i thought that was really underrated was Humper-Monkey’s Ghost Story it had a good writing style good humor but it also made the reader feel like maybe he could be part of that situation. the only thing i did not like about it was the way locations were set up i think a map or image could have contributed greatly to the story

  32. It’s kind of difficult for me to list and underrated one since I usually only read higher rated pastas to begin with, but I can think of some that are certainly overrated: Squidward’s Suicide and Mr. Widemouth.
    I feel like Squidward’s Suicide isn’t all that scary just because any pasta I’ve heard of or read personally that involves a well known cartoon of some sort just doesn’t creep me out all that much. I don’t know though, other people seem to love it.
    Then Mr. Widemouth, well I just don’t understand why this one is so highly rated. It’s so predictable and nothing even happened… I just feel it could’ve been a LOT creepier.

  33. Most under rated pasta pvt monkey its a twelve part series thats just amazing most over rated who was phone

  34. In my opinion, the most overrated pastas are Jeff the Killer, Sonic.exe, and Happy Appy. They were all very ridiculous and just really poorly planned out.

    Normal Porn For Normal People is utterly horrifying, and is barely even mentioned within the community.

  35. I think “Jeff The Killer” is definitely overrated. It’s very unrealistic and almost unnatural the way the kids acted at the birthday party. And the parents did almost nothing to stop the fight from occurring. It just really bugs me that it gets so much hype from people when really it wasn’t written very well at all.

  36. I liked the plague artist (i think that’s its name). And I remember it has a rather low rating, so I’d say it. ‘Course I know ones with low ratings that I enjoy just means people have different taste.

  37. Overrated would have to be Cupcakes, Jeff the Killer and Smile Dog.

    NOBODY should say Squidward’s Suicide is overrated! It was the first Creepypasta I read and it genuinely scared the shit out of me.

  38. The most underrated pasta for me is No-End House. Really creepy story, but can’t seem to find it anymore…

  39. I think the most over-rated is The Story Of Her Holding An Orange.
    It’s just awful! It’s not scary, it’s not well written, it’s unbelievable, and just a marketing plan to get you to buy the book to see how it ends.

  40. To me, the most overrated pastas are the Jeff tht killer and slenderman posts. The characters themselves aren’t all that scary and most of the stories nowadays are fan fictions which are horribly written and somewhat childish.

  41. BreakingBlades

    I think Humper Monkey’s Ghost Story is waaay underrated, and I like the storytelling used. The setting made the story make more sense, and 3 words: Cold War bullshit.

    But I hate how JTK is overused. Sure, a good bait and switch picture, but I freaking hate the creepypasta. The storytelling was mediocre at best, but that picture… *shivers*

    1. MisterVercetti

      See, I think that one’s rated just where it should be. For all the buildup the story gives, the payoff at the end is, to put it mildly, underwhelming. If the author had eighty-sixed all of the cliche ghost story crap (loud banging, disembodied laughing, phone calls from no one, etc.), focused more on the location itself (a former Nazi training ground is plenty creepy as it is), cut down on the gratuitous profanity (seeing someone swear every other sentence gets really grating really quick) and cut the length by about half (a lot of the length was brought about by incessant repetition: there was more than one occasion where I felt like screaming, “WE GET IT. YOU KEEP HEARING BANGING UPSTAIRS, WE DON’T NEED A GODDAMNED PLAY BY PLAY EVERY TIME IT HAPPENS”), it would have been much more enjoyable. It was one of those pastas that had a good premise and ALMOST had the stuff to rank itself among the best, but the flaws were so glaring that they kept it from greatness.

  42. The story of her holding a orange is overrated, I just can’t get why people think is scary, creepy or interesting. I hate how the storyteller keeps repeating ‘I know that you may think I’m crazy/you don’t believe/etc’. and the way in which the plot develops is poor and boring. I mean, the first idea of a woman scaring you with an orange sounds strange and that made me read the story to know what the fuck was going to happen, but the development is boring and it finishes being like a joke instead of a real creepypasta. Also, in order to know the end you have to buy a the author’s book; ugh, no thank you. I think there are another couple of creepypastas that are overrated in my opinion but I can’t remember them right now, hahaha.

  43. MisterVercetti

    Overrated – Jeff the Killer. Everything that there is to said about it has already been said, so there’s no sense beating a dead killer.

    Underrated – The Night Wire. It’s a very mysterious story that tells you just what you need to know to understand the gist of what’s going on, but still leaves a lot open for interpretation. It takes your typical apocalypse story and gives it a unique twist that makes it truly stand out from others of its kind. It has a pretty good rating, but it’s sadly fallen into the ranks of Creepypasta obscurity. It needs more love, to be sure!

  44. Oh Shit It's Candleja

    Personally the most overrated for me are the big 3– The Rake, Slenderman, and Jeff, that is. The Rake is my favorite pasta, dont get me wrong. It scared me shitless, especially since it’s said to lurk near new york and I live about 3 hours away from there, even though I’m in Canada. New york isnt too far from where I live because I’m in southern ontario and If I started driving at midnight I could be in new york by about 3:30 am. The most underrated imo is “The Showers”. That also scared the shit out of me and it’s realistic too, as I’ve been to places that have an ambiance like the one in the story.

  45. With all respect to well… everyone for that matter, even though many of them are overrated or underrated; I do suppose that each of them have their purpose.

    With the way things look on here, I cannot honestly choose which is over or under; but more or less, I do believe that the possibility of adding another “page” onto this website for the least or most known would be useful.

    But then again, it’s not my say; and I love this site no matter what. Yet, if I had to pick something to be underrated; It would probably have to be the “Pokepastas”. After all, even though they are obviously 100% unreal in all aspects; they still seem to make people more curious than anything based off of real life.

    1. Hmm, that could be an interesting thing to display, you’re right. Let me see if it’s possible.

      ETA: Unfortunately, it seems I can’t have the particular widget necessary display from lowest to high. Sorry.

      1. Not a problem derpbutt, as long as this site remains up and running; then that is really all I care about.

        Although there are some more “useful” changes that could be made, this site is simply amazing the way it is and when july comes around… I can finally upload my horror poem about Creepypasta.com itself.

        But yeah, thanks again. Maybe some day (if I ever make enough money to donate), I will be sending money in every chance I can. But for now, I have bills to pay and mouths to feed.

        1. Feel free to drop any other suggestions you have! Often (like with the recent comment improvements) people suggest things that never occurred to me to even look into. I like it when I can find ways to give you guys these functions. Yours was a really good idea, let’s hope that the next iteration of this plugin will give us the ability to reverse display.

  46. Most overrated pasta (that actually takes itself seriously) is easily The Story of Her Holding an Orange.

    Overused, bland “monster” designs? Check.

    A premise that is not scary in the slightest? Check.

    Horribly disappointing ending? Oh Jesus effing Christ check.

    Honestly, it wasn’t even a story, more like a glorified advertisement for a stupid book.

    Sure, there are a lot of other more popular and well-known pastas that get more credit than they deserve, but none of them are quite as long and have quite as much effort put into them as this, and all for one of the most cheap and downright disappointing pay-offs I’ve ever read.

  47. Most overrated creepypasta in my opinion is the Story of a Woman Holding an Orange. The first few chapters were interesting, but then it just got worse and worse and lost all it’s semi-believabilty.

  48. To be honest, the most overused has to be WHO WAS PHONE. I mean, look at it. WHY does that exist. It shamed my view on creepypasta. It gets a lot of hate, so I don’t think it would count. Overrated… Overrated…
    Don’t hate me for this, but Squidward’s Suicide.

    The fuck, honestly? OH, HE SHOOTS HIMSELF AND PICTURES OF DEAD BABIES APPEAR BECAUSE PEOPLE BOO’D HIS BAD FLUTE PLAYING. DURHUR.

    Underrated? Huh. Well, I guess it would have to be Glitchy RED. People don’t give it enough credit. People nowadays, when I mention “RED” from a creepypasta, they instantly think, “LOST SILVER”.

    It makes me mad. I understand Pokemon creepypasta’s have been long done, but still. C’mon. You have to admit. It really just.. hits something in your heart and Pokemon childhood. Lost SILVER is just a modified version of Glitchy RED for Gold/Silver/Crystal.

    (I wonder if anyone will get the name reference in my name.)

  49. For me, the most underrated pasta is God’s Mouth. For my money, it has the most original monster I’ve ever heard of, and caves are a great location.

    The comments in that pasta make me want to smack someone though. The entire first page seems to think it’s a hack of the other cave pasta with the Jackal, even though the two are almost nothing alike.

    As for overrated, I’d have to say any Lost Episode pastas, especially Dead Bart and Squidward’s Suicide. The only good Lost Episode I’ve read was the Care Bears one.

  50. I think that this one pasta is overrated and I can’t for the life of me remember the name of it but its a fairly recent one. It was the asta about the girl cat fishing the guy and how she became obsessed with the fake girls life/eyes. Firstly I didn’t really get what was so creepy about it the ending was the same stereotypical “girl is right behind you” bull crap. Secondly the whole obsession with the eyes bit plus the whole catfish premise was weak everyone had a friggin boner for the story and I jut thought it was plain bad with its very weak if even present plot and its annnoying obviousness.

  51. Definetly not YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

    Um, well, anything by YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE USERNAME is really underated. Totally. I also here he’s really handsome. And this definetly isn’t him making another account. Totally.

  52. AtSixesAndSevens

    I can list a few for overrated, but the most significantly overrated CPs in my opinion are Jeff The Killer, Slenderman, The Holders, and Lost Silver. Don’t get me wrong, I love Lost Silver, but it’s not that scary in my opinion. As for underrated ones, probably Psychosis, Bedtime, and Abandoned By Disney. All of them are fairly well-written and actually creeped me out. Russian Sleep Experiment is also a bit underrated, too, I believe.

      1. AtSixesAndSevens

        I know very few people who have heard of or read Psychosis. In my particular area, it’s definitely underrated. I suppose I should have been a bit more specific on that one.

  53. There are quite a lot of underrated stories, I’ll just list some of my favorites. Rasper Book was one of the freakiest things I’ve read, especially the last pages. Fortune Machine might have not the best ending, but the build up was great.

    And, of course, there is Iodine Room which is so much underrated that it doesn’t exist anymore.

  54. heytheredelilah

    I actually enjoyed the story of her holding an orange till the ending -_-
    Also the beware of those who do you harm series was a good twist to the Jeff the killer story, better and more realistic than the original.

    1. I agree, I did enjoy the ‘Beware of those who would do you harm’ series. I liked it much better then the original story.

  55. Overrated – obviously Jeff. Seriously, the story is so fucking lame. Maybe the pic is a little bit creepy, yeah, but the plot… no.

    As for underrated – I got many. My favorite one is LIARS. Though it is liked by many people, it’s just not that famous.
    Also, there’s this pasta everyone seem to hate – Sunburn. I must say, the plot is a little bit undeveloped, but the idea and everything else is awesome. Is it just me?

  56. most overrated would most likely be jeff the killer. sure, the picture is kinda creepy, but it’s not scary.

  57. As far as underrated pastas go, I think the community has done a pretty good job of giving credit where credit is due.

    The most overrated pasta for me, is by a landslide Jeff the killer. The only good thing about that was the picture. The grammar was bad, the characters were the most unlikeable and unbearable bastards ever to walk on the face of the Earth. And yet it still remains as one of the highest rated stories on here.

    Go figure.

    1. Yes oh my god yes I just read it and the fact that this is the first time I have speaks volumes as to how underrated that story really is. Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of that awesome story!!

  58. Overated: Who was phone and Candlejack. I totally get memes, and some of them are really amusing, but every creepypasta and crappypasta I read has at least one numb skull who thinks it will be hilarious to say “BUT WHO WAS ___” and write Anonymous for thier name. Or who writes “Candlejack, OH NOES He’s gonna take m”

    Not amusing. Annoying.

    I like memes, I don’t like trolls. And, also, who was phone was a horrible story. Most of Candlejacks aren’t any good either.

    Underated: Mice and THE WATCHERS. I enjoyed both of these stories very much.

    Also I would like to shout out to my fellow pasta-lovers, YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE USERNAME and Derpbutt for this discussion post. I have found so many delicious pastas to enjoy and discuss through this topic.

    Without further ado, Thanks.

        1. You killed it man… killed it with absolute stupidity.

          See, when Faith and YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE USERNAME! were joking around; it was funny… but you just like “killed” it and now the fun is gone.

    1. You’re talking about people and their annoying comments on this site. Well my least favorite cliche is nom nom nom what a delicious pasta!!

  59. Mr. Dafuq:
    In my opinion:

    Most underrated:
    The Indigo Village
    http://s22568.p321.sites.pressdns.com/the-indigo-village/

    Most overrated:
    Lightning
    http://s22568.p321.sites.pressdns.com/lightning/

    I thought that The Indigo Village was very underrated. It delivered a solid, slightly disturbing story of insanity. It took a cliche idea and made it very original. Even though it has an 8.0, I think that it deserves a place on the top 15, maybe even taking the place of Lightning.

    I thought that Lightning was overrated simply because of the fact that it just wasn’t creepy. The basic idea is fairly dumb. ‘Oh look, ightning in my closet!.’ The story itself is just meh. To be fair, the story was well written, just not enough to pull off the main plot of the story.

    Lightning just seems like a story to tell around a camp fire.

    1. Underrated: 09/17/10
      Reason- The concept is both “eerie” and “odd”, kind of makes me wonder if there are any hidden files located on my computer.

      Overrated: Pretty much every gamingpasta ever
      Reason- I understand with the very first set of gamingpastas had a nice sense of “fear” built into them (such as “The Lavender Town Syndrome”, “Pokemon Creepy Black”, “Sonic.EXE”, “BEN” and many others), but now… it’s kind of just like “okay, this isn’t really creepy… it’s kind of just a ripoff of other gamingpastas”.

      Also, “Rake” is somewhat disturbing… I mean seriously, any idea what exactly “The Rake” is? “Smile.jpg (aka: Smile Dog)” isn’t exactly creepy, but rather “odd”… the story is a bit disturbing, but nonetheless; it’s an okay thing. “Slenderman” was creepy at first, and now it’s just being rehashed again and again.

      In all fairness, some pastas should just be “laid to rest”; they had their moment in the spotlight and now we could use something “new” and “original”.

      Perhaps I’ll add my pasta onto here one of these days; if I ever bother to actually type it up.

  60. In my opinion:

    Most underrated:
    The Indigo Village
    http://s22568.p321.sites.pressdns.com/the-indigo-village/

    Most overrated:
    Lightning
    http://s22568.p321.sites.pressdns.com/lightning/

    I thought that The Indigo Village was very underrated. It delivered a solid, slightly disturbing story of insanity. It took a cliche idea and made it very original. Even though it has an 8.0, I think that it deserves a place on the top 15, maybe even taking the place of Lightning.

    I thought that Lightning was overrated simply because of the fact that it just wasn’t creepy. The basic idea is fairly dumb. ‘Oh look, ightning in my closet!.’ The story itself is just meh. To be fair, the story was well written, just not enough to pull off the main plot of the story.

    1. Personally, I think that “Fuzzy” is a much darker version of lightning, and much more disturbing. I like it much better, in fact, it ruined my whole day. (Good for the pasta, not for me)

    2. Apparently you don’t have children. I thought it was an excellent pasta and I agree that fuzzy is better and more fucked up. I think its a neat idea to write a story about a villain who preys on the innocence and naivety of a child.

  61. “The Cell Phone Game”. By far, best and most underrated creepypasta I’ve ever read. It’s not even on the site, it’s on the creepypasta wiki. Look it up and give it a read; you will NOT be disappointed.
    As far as overrated… Jeff the Killer’s origin story.

  62. To me the most overrated creepypastas are ben drowned, and herobrine (maybe as far as gaming pastas go.) It just seems like whenever you mention creepy video game stories, those 2 always hold the top spots. Sure, I can see why, but to me the stories just don’t stick for some reason. As far as regular pastas Jeff the Killer and the Holder series. Every Holder story is just the same thing over and over again. “Go to any blah blah blah, in any blah blah blah, then blah blah blah, they must never come together blah.”

    Yeah, I get that that’s the idea, but its just so tiring and repetitive (hopefully there wont be a story for each and every item.)

    As far as underrated goes, I’m not really sure on that. Most of the stories I enjoy are high rated and for good reason. I guess I don’t really know any pastas that are underrated.

    1. Yes! I love The Cell Phone Game! I’m glad someone finally spoke. About it because it is absolutely amazing! A really good ending too!

  63. Well I would honestly have to asy the most under rated creepypasta is WHO WAS PHONE like come on thats a really horrifying story, really creative, you can almost tell there was alot of work put into it <3

  64. Hello,

    I’m doing a short presentation on American TV series at school and I would like to know if there are references to famous creepypastas in Us TV series besides the reference to polybius in one episode of The Simpsons. Thanks!

  65. Diego Parada-Lopez

    Hmm never mined overrated pasta:Jeff the killer, I mean there is nothing special about him except for the fact he goes in a murderous,psycho rage about people being punks or just no reason at all.

    Underrated Pasta: I couldn’t think of one sorry!

  66. to those who dont like/understand why people like jeff the killer, i will explain why many people do like the jeff series. its not so much that this creepypasta is scary, or even creepy for that matter, its more about jeff as a reoccurring character. we like jeff the killer cause his pastas many of them are told from the point of view of the killer and lets you root for the monster. jeff has a good back story and has some of the epicist one-liners in creepypastadom. “there are no ghosts, imaginary, thought up by those who mistake them for real for real terrors. nothing of real terrors, like me. you can see me touch me here the words im saying now. and now i will unleash some terror on you.”

    as for overrated, all video game pastas except ben drowned and lavender town tone.

    underated(idk if there actually underated but they dont get as much hype), xorax, it that stalks the fields and strangers.

      1. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

        That would make an interesting moral dilemia for a pasta, I might just try it.

      2. I almost always root for the monsters.

        Unless they’re shitty monsters.

        In that case I usually just hope everyone dies.

    1. The only thing creepy about Jeff the Killer is how badly written it was. And I never rooted for him in ANY of the stories I read.

      Now, the NEW Jeff the Killer that’s been/is being uploaded over the past few/next couple days, is good. THAT is well-written and actually makes Jeff the Killer something worth reading. It’s like a better-done remake, in a way.

    2. TudorGothicSerpent

      I think it’s got a lot more to do with the freaky picture that gets associated with it, honestly. The major story associated with it isn’t particularly good (if I were grading it as a high school paper, it would get a C), and the original YouTube video is of even lower quality.

      But that freaking picture…

    3. I can understand wanting to root for the villain or the antihero, but one important thing IMO is making the villain someone we can relate to, give them something that makes us like them (think of Dexter for example).

      Jeff really falls flat on that account, his motivation is none-existent or extremely unclear and I really find it hard to root for a guy who’s a raving lunatic. There is nothing IMO to like about Jeff as a character.

  67. Molow was extremely underrated. The dreams were so well described and the nun… idk. I just love the way that whole story played out. Especially when he jumped off the building and the nun gave him that ambiguous advice. He gave a perfect depiction of dreams that feel so real that you don’t know if you’re gonna wake up from them. 9/10 to me.

  68. Well im not sure whats the most underated

    but I personally think jeff and slenderman are seriously overrated. I frankly dont understand their appeal

    1. Why the fuck is everyone hating Slenderman? If you saw Slenderman in your backyard or in a fucking forest somewhere, don’t tell me you wouldn’t run. I mean sure all THE THOUSANDS OF STORIES MADE BY FANS OF SLENDERMAN (hint, hint stop writing so many assholes) can kinda get pretty annoying… but common, Slendermans scary as all hell.

      1. I would run if I saw anything move in my backyard. Slenderman is not that scary. OK, lets take his very first story. He litarlly makes a girl trip hit her head and spill coffee on herself. That is terrifying * end sarcasm. I think Slenderman is overrated.

      2. The house my boyfriend and I were renting had a decent-sized backyard that broke into “mini woods,” as I called it. Very thin, whispy branches and trees. My boyfriend works 3rd shift every weekend. Being alone at night til about 2-3am, reading about Slendy here, then looking outside without the deck light on was enough to creep me out.

        Slendy was the first story that actually scared the hell outta me…given my surroundings in real life.

  69. Jeff the killer.

    It was slightly below average, in my opinion, but everyone made poor rip-offs of it, and then we got crap like cassie the killer and robert the killer.

    underrated: A “loving” husband. yes, it was crap, but it doesn’t deserve to be the second lowest rated pasta ever.

    1. That’s what I was saying about “THE WATCHERS”, I wasn’t saying that it was good at all! I was just saying that it wasn’t THAT bad, as in, the ninth-worst-pasta-in-this-site bad.

  70. Cancer staging for begginners was highly overrated 7/10 the story just had no purpose and nothing was explained at all

  71. For me, the most overrated pasta would be Jeff the Killer, hands down. I can’t really see the appeal of it. To me it sort of smelled of part wish-fulfillment, part badly-conceived serial killer pasta. The prose was lacking, to say the least, and Jeff himself was a cardboard cutout of a character that proceeded to spawn tens of imitationpasta.

    Most overrated in terms of creepypasta categories would be ritualpastas. They’re very, very hard to render creepy, since they’re basically instruction manuals. Not to mention the fact that most of the rituals have a ‘why would anyone want to do this?’ tag in my books.

    Most underrated in terms of influence would be Tam Lin’s Tale of the City stories. They’re IMO very well written, and feature engrossing world-building; although they rank pretty high here, they didn’t quite have the readership I thought they deserved.

  72. I have always wondered how anyone could be at all creeped out by Squidward’s Suicide… I honestly thought it was a joke pasta at first. Many of the highest-rated pastas are just mediocre to me, like Lightning, Never Again, and Internet Story. Personally, my favorite is called The Train, which is sort of like an exposition to The Holders series, which I also really like (despite usually hating ritual pastas), but I don’t think it’s necessarily underrated. A lot of the best stories on here barely get any attention, in my opinion.

    1. I recently checked ‘top 10 creepypastas’ on google. and every list had squidward’s suicide as the top one. it was well written but I don’t think it was scary. not even a little bit. If I say that I worked for nickelodeon would you believe me in the first place?
      the plot was like a totally dumb joke to me.

    2. Well some of the popular pastas are popular for a reason but yes some of which are poorly written and lack a decent story

  73. YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE USERNAME!:
    First of, thank you for using my suggestion! Second, a really underrated one I can think of is one called MICE, it’s really clever and chilling and compared to others it doesn’t get the praise it deserves.
    Well, though I’ve gone off Jeff the Killer, the most overrated one has to be Dead Bart. I know it’s not even that high rated but it’s become an urban legend for a pretty poorly wrote pasta. To be fair though, the date thing is clever, everything else is just, meh.

  74. Smile Dog. Sorry, I just don’t find it scary at all. It’s just a photoshopped husky and the pass on the image or you will die/go insane thing isn’t frightening to me, it just makes me think of those old chain mail messages that were just plain annoying. Each to their own I guess. I’ll admit the writing is well done, the concept just doesn’t click with me.

  75. Overrated? Jeff the Killer.

    Poorly written, and ridiculously unrealistic. Creepy picture though.

    Underrated?

    I really haven’t seen many underrated pastas, that I can think of off the top of my head.

    1. Exactly! To much Jeff the killer! And also slendy! He’s AMAZING! One of my favorite pastas, but every where u look its Slendy! But yea Jeff is waaaaaay over done

  76. Ah, finally. Free plug-ins! Unfortunately I don’t have a story uploaded on this site so I’ll have to flatter someone else.

    I believe a shamefully (but understandably) underrated pasta would be “To Die, To Sleep” by DeadAce (one of the two masterminds behind Crappypasta Storytime). Basically a tale about a man ranting about some omnipotent god sermon-style, alluding to themes such as the end of the world, the afterlife, and the breakdown of human morals in the face of destruction. The style of it however is very beautifully worded and polished sentences in that it is in fact initially incomprehensible, and to fully understand the story it would probably take several re-reads. And, being that the story is significantly long, most readers would probably not take the extensive time necessary TO understand it – so to the common reader it’s basically a befuddled mess of random sentences and bipolar thoughts. So, as it is understandable it received poor feedback, it’s still a bloody damn shame – in fact I’m quite confident I’m one of the few people who took the time to re-read and fully appreciate it for what it was. But still, props to DeadAce for such an incredible story.

    Oh dear, overrated…
    Well I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. “Mr Widemouth.” Mr-motherfucking-Widemouth. Credited to someone named perfectcircle35, it brought into the spotlight and re-defined the haunted doll horror cliché, which since Widemouth has resulted in hundreds of failed submissions and dozens of generic doll shit on Crappypasta (the one notable exception would be “Ickbarr Biggelstein,” which I will say in confidence is far superior, and interestingly equal in rating). It’s well written, but I just saw absolutely nothing that was overly unique, engaging, or that creepy about it. Doll preys on child, child leaves, end of conflict! And then, the amazing twist – the guy figures out the doll was trying to kill him! Shocker!!!!!! I don’t mean to rain on its parade, congrats on the high ratings, but I just didn’t get it. As Sepia would say: IMO.

  77. Most Overrated: Jeff the killer
    Most Underrated: The art of Jacob Emory
    Jeff is most overrated for reason you guys already know. But, while Jacob emory does have a good score it isn’t talked about. Like it is my second favorite yet barely any one talks about. In terms of lower score than it diverse Modern Monster. Yeah, because that isn’t cheap at all.

    1. Agree with you on both points. I’m sick to death of Jeff, and wish more people would talk about Jake Emory. I actually covered The Art of Jacob Emory on Midnight Marinara, and even before that it was one of my favorite pastas I’d read, because it’s subtle and atmospheric, and the narrative voice is well-executed, definitely giving the feeling of an old timer spinning yarns in a small town.

      As for Jeff, well…It was pretty poorly written and executed, but I was willing to let it go and move on. But I see Jeff and self-insert fan characters everywhere, and any fandom will ruin anything for me if it tries hard enough – not that there was much left to ruin to begin with, but the fact that copious amounts of fanart and hackneyed slashfics exist makes me sigh and shake my head.

  78. Diego Parada-Lopez

    The most overrated pasta of all time are the Slenderman pastas and crappypastas! Or maybe Pokemon pastas and crappypastas about Pokemon…

  79. Dead Bart. I just don’t get it. It’s not scary at all. Maybe a bit creepy, but not worth the hastle.

  80. ẠbracadaveЯ

    Sorry, but… as far as overrated pastas go…
    Jeff the fucking killer.
    I mean sure, the visual thing with his appearance is kinda… catchy, or whatever, but the story?? Wtf. How…?

    1. Jeff The Killer is the most stupid story on here. First of all, when he gets set on fire his hair wouldn’t of turned black it would of burned off.
      Every time i think of it i lol.
      It’s just so dumb, it’s not poorly written or anything the plot is just retarded.

      Second, boys at that age wouldn’t get into a brutal fight like that with guns and knives and all that shit. And when the boys just crashed the birthday party, that was almost the stupidest part. And the adults there didn’t even try to stop the fight. Lolwut
      Also, i can see how some kid could be a bit messed up after all of that, but killing the parents? What does that have to do with it? If anything you would think that Jeff would try to get revenge/ kill the boys that did that to him in the first place.

      Stuuupppiiidd

      1. I agree with what you said but I’m pretty sure he killed his parents because his parents tried to kill him so it pretty much makes sense.

      2. Totally agree! jeff the killer is totally idiotic pasta. after reading the whole stupid thing I totally spat on the computer screen. WTF? if you call this creepy go and read ‘the other watcher’ I bet you’ll totally piss in your pants.

        another shitty ones are pokemon pastas and squidward’s suicide. boring they put me to sleep…

        1. i did get creeped by the other watcher but think about jeffs face… at night… in the dark …GO TO SLEEP

      3. I COMPLETELY agree with you. One of my acquaintances shared the story on Facebook and said “This is my favorite story”. I immediately responded with “It’s way over-rated and unrealistic” to which she responded “Wait until I become a girl Jeffery”. Uck. People these days.

      4. also if noone else noticed this theres this little thing called sleep deprivation. and if he ‘cut off his eyelids so he could never sleep’ he would get sick and die. also to recover from sleep deprivation sickness they would aresst him at the hospital for killing his parents and brother.
        your move, creator explain that

      5. I don’t mean to offend, or defend Jeff (it was a pretty bad story) but the need to kill is undifferentating. A victim, even your brother, is just another victim. & if you don’t think boys that age can be that violent, you were raised in a happy little bubble.

      6. SKYQUEEN -(I like your username)- I completely agree with you about how unrealistic the whole thing is. However, I personally think that it is very poorly written. The tense is all over the place and even the most basic grammatical rules are broken numerous times throughout. Even without grammar mistakes, the sentence structure and over all construction of the story is quite weak and distracting.

        1. I am sorry I am replying to something so old but I just read Jeff for the first time & wrote a comment just like this on it! You’re the only other person that has said that about the tense being all over the place (well I’ve only read about 75 comments so maybe there’s more that I just haven’t seen yet). It drove me crazy! One paragraph would be 90% written in past tense & then the last 2 sentences would be written in present tense! It made it hard to read.
          I have only read the top 10 rated one(& I have listened to like 10 on Youtube) s so I don’t know about the underrated ones but I’m gonna try some from this list.

      7. Yes i completely agree, a lot of people say slender man is worse when while he’s not my favorite, at least his stories have what EVERY story should have, suspense, mystery, and action. Jeff the killer on the other hand is just “gorefest 2011, oh and a freaky picture”

    2. Jeff The Killer is the most stupid story on here. First of all, when he gets set on fire his hair wouldn’t of turned black it would of burned off.
      Every time i think of it i lol.
      It’s just so dumb, it’s not poorly written or anything the plot is just retarded.

      Second, boys at that age wouldn’t get into a brutal fight like that with guns and knives and all that. And when the boys just crashed the birthday party, that was almost the stupidest part. And the adults there didn’t even try to stop the fight. Lolwut
      Also, i can see how some kid could be a bit messed up after all of that, but killing the parents? What does that have to do with it? If anything you would think that Jeff would try to get revenge/ kill the boys that did that to him in the first place.

      Stuuupppiiidd

      1. I lol whenever people say Jeff is unrealistic . Because in truth , do you really think an immortal sits in the woods , just waiting for people to stroll in to collect some notes ? Or how about a haunted Zelda game where Limk is pretty much the soul of a teenage boy who drowned . Sounds a bit iffy . Take Rake and Eyeless Jack for example , don’t you think the Government would be all on that , going to extremes to keep them a secret ? Yeah , none of those sound ‘realistic.’ No offense to other fandoms , ofcourse . But Jeff is the most realistic out of any of those . He’s pretty much a teenager who tripped major ballsack and murdered his family . Maybe alot of the story wasn’t . . Professionally written , but the side stories for Jeff are absolutely fantastic . He’s an amazing creepypasta in my opinion .

        1. jeff is AWSOME. In my opinion he is the most iconic creepypasta of them all! YAH AND HE ISNT STOLEN 100x over like slender, SLENDER IS THE CRAPPIEST PASTA OF THEM ALL!!!! JEFF IS WHAT GOT me reading creepypastas so STFU

        2. gabriel richardson

          I agree. Jeff’s story is my favorite out of them all. mainly because he has no super powers but yet he can still be able to kill with no probs

        3. Jeff the Killer is called unrealistic because while there seems to be nothing paranormal in his story, the details are impossible. The way he mutilated himself should have killed him as it cannot be done, and the bullies with knives and guns, pointless subplot about Liu being sent to juvenile detention, and moronic adults make the story gratingly implausible. The reason things like Slender Man get a pass is because they are clearly paranormal and defiance of logic is done deliberately as the mystery rather than a mistake in the writing.

        4. The worst part of the Jeff stories is by far the fan girls. The next time I have to listen to a classmate drone about Jeff’s wonderfulness I’m going to beat my head against the wall. Why does a serial killer (not to mention sociopath) have over 20 love stories? Not that I’m without blame, I was a fan girl, but i fixed that in a matter of days.

    3. I agree 110%. The whole thing doesn’t make any sense as far as 13 and 14 yr old boys go. It doesn’t have any kind of realism in it. I like the idea of it, but it’s just not well deliver and I can’t figure out why everyone went head over heels for it.

      1. @xxjonodxx First being iconic isn’t always good. Look at Jeff. To quote you “and he isn’t copied 100x slender” Now I don’t like slenderman but, I’m going defend him because he isn’t the worst. Jeff has been copied a thousand times There are so many(Insert name) the killers and just self insert fan-fics with Jeff on crappypasta that it is crazy. Slenderman is copied a lot too but not as much as Jeff.

        @Gabriel Richardson He is your favorite because he has no super powers except for not dying of sleep deperstion, infections and his hair not being able to be burned off. But, lets take one of my favorite creepypastas. Bob. Bob has no arms. He killed a man with a baseball bat with only his feet. That is impressive.

  81. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

    First of, thank you for using my suggestion! Second, a really underrated one I can think of is one called MICE, it’s really clever and chilling and compared to others it doesn’t get the praise it deserves.
    Well, though I’ve gone off Jeff the Killer, the most overrated one has to be Dead Bart. I know it’s not even that high rated but it’s become an urban legend for a pretty poorly wrote pasta. To be fair though, the date thing is clever, everything else is just, meh.

  82. Hey everyone,

    I think the most underrated pasta that deserves more attention is ‘Hell At High Altitude’.
    That pasta simply has amazing storytelling in it, and I think it has huge potential to have sequels, prequels and other kinds of additions for a series, ‘cos its so cool.

    My least favourite high rating are the slendy ones.
    Slendermans been way overdone now sure, but I never thought he was that gripping in the first place, just a weirdo in a suit that has tentacles . . .

    1. THANK U!!!!! someone that knows that SLENDER is just a giant white stick with octapus limbs and u know, A CHEAP CRACK HEAD SUIT!!!! The guy that created him should chop his hands off and throw his body into a hole.

  83. Well, I think “THE WATCHERS” is underrated. Sure, the all caps are annoying and there are some factual errors but the idea and the grammar wasn’t that bad.

    1. YES LEV-LEE!!!! Tottally agree with u!!!!!!! The watchers is amazing! And I absolutely love candle cove!!! Just saying :D

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top