Advertisement
Please wait...

In which a door is locked



Estimated reading time — 6 minutes

It is the summer of your 17th year, and the parents have left you and your brother alone for just shy of three weeks in July. Your brother is 2 yers your senior, has a job, a drivers license, a long-term girlfriend, goes to college on the other side of the state during the year. You two get along well, you’re glad to have the time together that you do.

Your parents are not your parents. Your mother is your mother, and your father is your step-father.( You have another inverted pair, step-mother and father, who love in a much larger house with three cats, a dog, and many Yankee candles.) Your parents who are not your parents have taken a trip to Miami. They left on your birthday, which did not bother you all that much, but you thought it seemed like a metaphor. Still, your mother left you with a cheesecake, enough cash to sustain the two of you, and a well-stocked kitchen and vegetable garden.

They also left you with a locked door.

Advertisements

This was something your brother and you found very quickly on returned from your other parents house. It was the door to the master bedroom where your mother and step-father slept. The door hadn’t had a lock before, yet there it was: a shiny new brass door-knob with a key-hole, strange for a house’s interior.

You both laugh incredulously. You begin extrapolating as to why they felt it necessary to purchase, install and lock an entirely new door handle to keep you out. Maybe they’ve kept all of their alcohol in the room? But no, the usually bottles of wine and old bottles of sloe-gin are there. There’s even beer in the fridge.

You decide to go outside, into the vegetable garden, wading through zucchini plants, to look in through the window. There is nothing of note. You can see the outlines of the bed, the dressed, the door, all in place, but the dark room in the brings sun through glare-obscuring windows betrays very little in the way of details. You return inside, a tad uneasy.

That night is the first night you spend alone. Of course, your brother is their across the hall. Of course, your phone is on, your computer and Kindle functional. Your cats, your neighbors, visible through your bedroom window. You are never alone.

You hear no sounds that night. No terror but the creeping dread of late night extrapolation, baiting yourself to believe in demons, in shadows and in extra-dimensional horrors. But you know. You know that they are not really there and that you are safe in your small house, huddled up to three others just like it, facing across a quiet street, its double. Each house with its own families and each member occasionally lying awake. Quiet, in their safe little houses.

Later, your aunt and cousin come over. You eat cheesecake and talk, exchanging stories and worrying superficially about each other.

Advertisements

The door is brought up.
Alcohol, drugs, condoms, briefcases full of money,stolen masterpieces and diamonds are all offered as explanations. Or dead bodies, you say, but add that we’d smell them after awhile.

Each night you sleep alone, and so very quiet. No sounds but distant dogs and perhaps the cats on your creaky floors. But these are interspersed with such great swaths of silence, a silence not of absence but of anticipation. As if, perhaps, it is daring something to break it. The western wall of your room, right near your head, is shared with that locked, empty room, and each night you dare it to disprove its emptiness.

Your days are unremarkable, but busy. You keep up with your friends, your aunt. You and your brother share the experience of grocery shopping for yourselves.

You tend the garden.

You wake up with dreams in your eyes. Perhaps they are fully formed as you awake, but fade so quickly into vague ideas. They are, to say the least, unsettling: feelings of dread, of guilt, the idea that you cannot escape, the thought of a thousand tiny bugs probing your spine. The feeling of someone standing over you.

You take things to help you sleep.

Your brother and you tell everyone about the door, it’s becoming a story.

Texts from your mother reveal that she had no idea that there was a lock on the door, and you wonder if she is angry with your stepdad for it. She has given you half-joking permission to pick the lock.

You and three separate friends try your best to open it. Credit cards, hair-pins, paper clips, pocket knives all fail to unlock the door. You don’t really care. You don’t need what is behind it so much, though the iron and the toilet paper and your social security cards are there. It remains simply an itching nag at the back of your head when you pass by.

One night you wake up, vague dreams of threatening figures dissolving almost instantly, though you cannot remember what jerked you awake. You wait, paralyzed in the dark with the thought of a sharp sound in your house, hovering over you, tempting another sound to follow. No sound comes. But, you notice, you are lying face up. There is a pressure on your chest and on your wrists and ankles as if someone were laying on top of you. It is hard to breath. With great effort you pry your eyes open and inhale sharply, at first seeing only false, noise-grey light like a head rush or the after-image of a camera flash. It slides out of your view, as the pressure slides from your body, and you are left with only the intangible darkness of your ceiling as your eyes adjust.
You are terrified, though you are sure nothing happened. But you hope it never happens again. and it does, every night that week, and you are always terrified.

Advertisements

That night your neighbors(the ones across from your window) have a party. they are loud, music and shouts drift over the fence. Just as you get up from your computer to head to sleep, you see one of them standing against your fence, facing into your room. The light is to their back, so they and the fence become a singular mass of shadow, features indistinguishable, but unmistakably looking at you.

You sleep on the couch, fitfully, and close the blinds in the morning, never opening them. You mention this to your brother, who agrees that sometimes the neighbors are creeps.
There comes a night when you cannot sleep.

It is the sort of insomnia born from restlessness, turning back and forth in bed and thinking too much. almost sinking into unconsciousness only to be pulled back by something you can’t name.

You feel as if someone were standing above you, on your left, from the wall shared with your parents room. You feel something almost like a draft but barely there, when you face to the left, steady on your face. Like breathing, but open your eyes and receive only the near-brightness of adjusting to darkness.

You give up, walk to the bathroom (adjacent to your parents room) to wash your face and maybe take something to help you sleep. As you turn on the light, you look into the mirror, and see, an edge of bright grey noise like an after-image silhouetting the right side of you. You feel the air behind the back of your head, vulnerable. you blink, trying to clear the image from your eyes, though it remains, stubbornly, as the other fireworks of sleep disperse. You feel yourself preparing to be terrified, but unsure. You remain still, then move very suddenly to the left. The after-image remains in its place for a split second, then re-aligns back to your face. You brace yourself, take steady breaths and turn around.

You are greeted with a wall of bright-grey noise which quivers as if surprised and instead of fading, darts out of your view and around the corner of the bathroom into the hall. You hear a door closing.

You do not sleep, but stay up with the lights on.

The next day is hazy, and you cannot properly remember why you did not sleep.

As you water the garden that evening, wading in zucchini plants, you see something through your parents window. A mass of shadow, the kind unnoticeable unless pointed out, but, once seen very very corporeal. And dark. You look away and back and see nothing.

Advertisements

The next time you water the garden, you see that the blinds on your parents bedroom have closed, too. You try to forget that they were every open.

Daylight is not so bad. You often forget why you were afraid.

Again, sleep is fitful and elusive, driven off by empty paranoia. Your brother has already left for college, and you will be here alone until then.

It’s three by the time you hear something. A short something like choking or like laughing heard through popped ears. You lay still, rationalizing your cats or your neighbors or the house shifting in its foundations. This does not help, because the door has just drifted open, the sliver of light it casts into your dark room a grey dimness like an approaching dawn.

Whatever it is moves very fast, because it must be on you because you can see nothing but grey half-light, knocking the wind out of you so you are lost of breath for the moments it takes to press a limb against your mouth. you attempt to bite and claw but feel only the static pins and needles of limbs fallen asleep where you should have made contact.

You are being dragged from your head out of your room, thrashing. The carpet burns your knees. There is nothing to think of but cold fear as you are dragged into the yawning darkness of your parents room, door open.

The door will be locked in the morning. Your parents will feel terror at your absence. They will call the police, and they will not find the key to the locked door. A locksmith will be called in, and the crowd will watch with breath bated for reasons they cannot properly say.

The door will swing open, finally. And they will see nothing but an empty room.

Credit To – Mason Ray

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

33 thoughts on “In which a door is locked”

  1. I really liked this, so what if it didn’t make “sense” at the end.
    It was still creepy.
    Kudos, you took the time and energy to come up with something of your own and to share with others. Great work, keep it up!

  2. Okay, ignoring the rest of the rude comments now. This pasta was a little bit confusing, and kind of hard to read, but i really liked you’re concept here. The figure in the bedroom who had installed the new knob and lock seemed like a roaming demon of sorts. am Iclose here? It seems like he moves on ti victim after victim when the parents are gone. if you could clean up the grammar and spelling issues, I’m sure it will be much less confusing for everyone. i give it a 6.5 for the errors and i really did like this one ^_^

  3. One of my issues with the story is that if your eyes are closed, and you open them to darkness, they don’t need to adjust. They are already adjusted to the darkness of your closed eyelids. If the main character was asleep and then opened them to a light filled room, they would need to adjust, if the main character was in light and then stepped into a dark room or the lights went out, they would need to adjust, but the main character is asleep and awakens to a dark room, so no adjustment is necessary. Maybe a way to fix this would be blinking to remove the “sleep” from his eyes instead of the eyes needing to adjust. Aside from that there are all of the other issues (spelling, details, etc.) that everyone else already mentioned.

  4. ….I guess….it’s not the MOST horrifying thing I could find in my parent’s closet? Nothing itself seems better than a gimp suit and vibrating plastic things.

  5. Once again, another story with NO EDITING OR PROOFREADING. This sickness must stop. One or two errors in a story are understandable and acceptable…barely. Two or three errors,(in both spelling and grammar), in one sentence is not acceptable. Stop being lazy writers people!!! You should be reading your own stuff anyway so how this even happens I do not understand. All that said, it started out interesting, picked up a little steam, and then totally fell flat. Sometimes being vague can add to suspense/mystery/terror, but not in this instance. I liked the writing style, but too many ideas aren’t completed or just seem silly. This is definitely one for crappypasta. But this editing problem is just too ridiculous. Take pride in your work, or continue being a total clown who obviously doesn’t care about their writing. For shame.

  6. WTF did I just read? I mean the story is just trash. There are unneeded details, and missing details where there should be some. I mean Candlejack was a better stor

  7. Oh, “you” pastas. This one was not well served by this format. The detail given seemed to sparse, and then when there was detail, it felt over the top. It is hard to balance the detail level needed with this style. That said, I think there are pieces here that are well done. The story moves well, though I feel like there were a couple of extra days that seemed superfluous. Maybe narrow it down to a week or something? After the first sleep paralysis incident, it seemed to bog down a bit with more subtle cues, which doesn’t make sense following the relatively blunt encounter in the night. It may be strengthened by reordering those pieces. I also struggled to understand what you meant by grey light noise/dimness/etc. That is one image that I could never nail down exactly what I was supposed to see and understand it as.

    All that being said, I think one thing that was done really well is preying on that fear that comes from being alone at home. I am not so far removed from my teenage years that I can’t remember that strange fear that settles in when you are the only one in the house. During the day, the fear abates, but at night it increases. It hinges on that loss of security. I also really liked some of your phrasing and descriptions, but I do think the format made them seem overwrought. Maybe it’s because that’s not the way I would think, and since I am supposedly the one the story is about, it feels inconsistent and insincere.

    The biggest problem with this story is the typos. This needed an edit before submission. There were quite a few times I was itching to grab a red pen. There were some tangents which seemed to detract from the overall story, and then simple grammar and spelling issues that made it hard to read. To be blunt, the “their” for “there” error was enough to pull me out of the story entirely.

    Overall, there are some plot gaps and some unanswered questions, but the fundamental pieces of the story are good. The structure, style, and grammar are what pulled this down for me. Change the perspective, get a friend to edit it for you, and I think this could be a much improved story that preys on those childhood fears of being alone and independent without the security of a full house.

    Best of luck in the future, and happy writing!

    1. Alfred Frederick Dinglebottom

      Best commenter on this site by miles!

      I agree with everything you said.

      Please people try not to write “you” pastas, they very rarely work.

      I don’t have a brother who’s two years my seniour.

      1. You guys have valid points. However, the term you’re looking for when you say “you” pastas is second-person (POV). Sorry to sound like an ass, but that was really bothering me for some reason. Ha.

        1. Alfred Frederick Dinglebottom

          I am aware of the correct terminology.

          Herobrine, you left a post over on Crappypasta, I replied to you, you should pop on over and have a look. Please try not to get upset. I may have slightly dissed your beloved.

    2. “I also struggled to understand what you meant by grey light noise/dimness/etc. That is one image that I could never nail down exactly what I was supposed to see and understand it as.”

      I think that the author’s point was to make this being strange, and almost indescribable, which is why the description is so vague.

      Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I believe the author was trying to do.

      -Herobrine

      Always watching…

  8. Despite the “spelling errors” which honestly looked more like auto-correct fails I enjoyed this pasta until it fell flat at the end. An “evil step-Dad” leaving something in that room would have served up a more frightening sauce.

  9. I have said this a lot but honestly this is the dumbest story I have ever read. A second grader could do better. You know big words but can’t spell. Congratulations. The only reason I even read this is because I wanted to see how bad it was. I have read stories on here rated between 7-8.5 that should be around 4-5 and this was rated 3.9 when I read it but it should still be rated lower. I am angry having read this.

  10. What happened to proofreading? Seems like it was carried away by the bright-grey thing that installs locks when people is away.
    The whole concept is silly and meaningless. Why should an entity install a lock (and how, since we are at it?) Why should it be there only when parents are away? And what would be the point of dragging the boy into that specific room before making him disappear?

  11. Mr. Ray, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

      1. I don’t think I mentioned anything regarding the author. 1.) it was a quote from the movie Billy Madison
        2.) It all relates to the text given, not the author, if you actually read into the comicalquote

  12. There are a lot of spelling errors which make it hard to take seriously and the idea itself is kind of silly. A room that’s only haunted when the parents are gone? Might be believable if it had occurred previously but I’m sure this isn’t the first time a 17 and 19 year old have been home alone.

    1. the dude of your nightmares

      I think he could not use you ti sound like hes gtaking about us and dude its still scary and sorry about name lol

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top