Advertisement
Please wait...

The Doll Cemetery



Estimated reading time — 6 minutes

They called it the doll cemetery. It was a small valley, barren and deserted, behind a hill that hid it from the sight of the town. Nothing grew on its arid soil; the few trees that had tried were long dead, turned into wooden skeletons that stretched their hooked fingers to the sky above.

The reason for that name was clear to anyone who visited the place. It had indeed the grim, gloomy air of old cemeteries, completely uncomforting. However, its guests were not underground, neither walled in narrow recesses. They stood in plain sight, fully exposed to eyes and weather.

There were dolls of every kind and size, of every fashion, style and era. Ancient misses with painted porcelain faces, whose richly embroidered dresses were now reduced to mouldy rags. Cheap ragdolls, or what was left of them, their smiles faded but still visible on their deformed, swollen faces. Elegant catwalk models, ten inches tall, who once possessed clothes and accessories, and now stood naked and twisted into unlikely poses. Child dolls that had once walked, cried or called their mommies, and now laid motionless, silent, often mutilated.

Advertisements

Some of those that had been there longer, were stuck to the ground or tied to the trees with iron wires, now corroded by rust, or with ribbons and strings that time had worn and faded. Most, though, had simply been left on the ground, and many of them had been pushed around by the wind or rain, gathering in some hollow as if in a sad common grave.

No one knew who had placed the first doll there, or why. Even for the eldest of the town it was a question without answer, but somehow it had started a sort of tradition. There were still girls who, forced to separate from their favourite doll, past beyond any chance of repair, asked for her to be brought there, among her peers. But doing it was a task for parents, because no child ever ventured there, not even for a dare.

The doll cemetery was a grim and sad place even in the full light of a summer day, but in the night, or even worst in one of those dull days threatening rain, when clouds cast a grey light over the whole place, it was impossible to walk through it and not be overwhelmed by a feeling of anguish, as if each of those little, abandoned bodies hosted a soul, silently screaming all of its torment to the ears of the living.

Like any respectable graveyard, the doll cemetery had a caretaker, or at least that is what the old homeless man who had found shelter in the badly assembled shack right in the middle of the valley was said to be.

They said that during the day he walked around the place, whispering incomprehensible words to the dolls, as if to comfort them, and that at night he went back to his shack and, behind the window – or in the doorframe in the hot summer nights – stood vigilant as if protecting a sacred place from whatever intruder.

The townsfolk believed he was crazy, but harmless, especially because he never left the valley, and whoever wanted to find him always knew where he was.
But in truth nobody ever wanted to find him.

Advertisements

At least until the girls disappeared.

They were three friends, fifteen years old, always together since nursery school. Once teens, they spent more time together than with their respective families, from the morning meeting to go to school to the late evening goodbye to go to sleep – unless they managed to do that together as well – with short and infrequent interruptions for meals.

The day when their parents could not find them in their rooms, their first thought was that they had secretly left, maybe by the window, to get together and do some of their mischief. It wouldn’t have been the first time.

When they weren’t back for lunch or dinner, and late at night none of the houses they could go back to had seen them come, worry started to spread in their families, and soon in the whole town.

They thought about an accident, something so serious that they weren’t even able to call. Groups of volunteers were formed, and they searched for the girls everywhere, in the town and around it. But they didn’t go behind the hill, why should they?

It was only when none of them brought back any news that the mother of one of the three remembered, shocked, what her daughter had told her a week, maybe ten days ago, failing to elicit her attention. What she had said about the caretaker of the doll cemetery.

He had molested them, so the girl had said to a mother that didn’t care to listen, knowing how frequently her daughter made up unbelievable stories to feed her lust for attention. He had approached them late at night, she had explained, he had tried to make them follow him, he had tried to touch them, but they had fled.

The parents of the second girl said they had heard nothing of that. They accused the poor woman, dumping on her the blame for what might have happened. They aroused the spirits of their neighbours, and declared themselves ready to tear that shack down, if that could help to find their daughter.

Advertisements

But for the father of the third girl, a widower with a meek face and a large body, the report had been no news. His daughter, too, had told him the same thing. But it couldn’t have happened. That man never went into the town, everybody knew, and the girl had sworn she had never set foot in the cemetery. Clearly it must be a misunderstanding, maybe a prank, he kept repeating. Going there would be just a waste of time.

No one listened to him.

They accused him of being a craven, of not caring about his daughter’s fate. After all, when had he ever cared, always away for work, with the poor girl left alone to her own devices? And the pressure that had been on the woman shifted on him. She might have been shallow, but he was a man, he ought to have done something, immediately, before the worst happened.

His words, his apparent attempts to clear the homeless man, were worth nothing, except maybe to exacerbate the people even more. A compact group of men, armed with a wrath they deemed right and with bad intentions, joined the parents of the girls to go to the doll cemetery, in the unshakable belief that the girls would be found there.

And they were.

The first, the one who had said nothing to her parents, had been tied to a tree with iron wire. With her arms open wide to the heavens, her calm face, her head dangling forward on her broken neck, she looked like an angel who wanted to keep vigil on that place of death, now real.

Cries of rage rose from the crowd, who started to march faster. Still, even before such evidence, the widower kept saying that it was impossible, that the caretaker couldn’t have done that.

The second girl was halfway to the centre of the valley. She was sat on the ground, her back leaning on a trunk, her arms limps at her sides. Her ears had been ripped away from her head, violently, and rivulets of blood painted her face, running down her cheeks. A fabric ribbon, that maybe once had been light green, had been tied over her mouth. It would have been a poor gag, if she had still been able to talk.

Advertisements

The dramatically belated rescuers started to run. Maybe there was still a chance to save the last girl, even though her very father, surely out of his mind by now, was shouting for them to stop, to stay away from the shack.

And there, on the door, they found the last one, the widower’s daughter. She had been thrown to the ground with no regard, in a tangled heap. Her face was livid and bloody, her clothes marked by little round stains. Her mouth was open wide in a scream she would never be able to utter, because her tongue lied aside, in a pool of blood that looked like some beast had walked on it. But for sure no beast, not a real one, had done that to her.
No one wanted to hear anything else. The shouted ramblings of the widower got lost in those of the crowd, inciting itself to avenge the girls. The man stepped back as someone kicked down the door of the shack, then everybody else did the same when the stench coming from within assaulted them like a living beast, as if it had been lurking in wait behind those weak planks.

No revenge would ever take place.

The caretaker of the doll cemetery lied lifeless on the floor of what had been his home. His skin was livid, his body swollen, and a pool of dried blood surrounded his head like a macabre halo. He had been dead for days, weeks maybe.

Silence suddenly fell on the crowd. Nothing could be heard, except the gulps of those who had lost their daughters, and the flutter of the wings of some bird, or maybe the sound of small footsteps moving away. Glances where exchanged, full of questions nobody wanted to speak and answers nobody wanted to hear. Then all eyes converged on the only one who had never wanted to go there, who was now walking away slowly, looking down, clutching his chest with his hands.

They saw him stumble toward the hill, then suddenly stop to free the hem of his trousers from the hand of a doll, that must have got stuck into it. They saw him tremble as he shook his leg, as if in panic, then turn around, and disappear behind the hill at a brisk step.

From that day, nobody set foot in the doll cemetery anymore.

Credit To – CMT

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

44 thoughts on “The Doll Cemetery”

  1. Doesn’t livid mean very angry? His “skin was livid”? Hmm nvr thought to use that in a sentence like that. And I have to disagree….I think using gore does make a story scarier. Atleast in this story it does. I enjoyed it.

  2. Eh… ok lol. You honestly had the right idea then you just fell short haha. What happened? It couldve been so scary, soooo…. and the part of the molestation is; not only was it a little outta place but it was just not realistic. Idk why it came into play in the story because it honestly didn’t make for a strong story idea. It shouldn’t have been just thrown into the story and so nonchalantly. It just makes me giggle on how much you are trying to defend this idea instead of taking the constructive criticism and gracefully moving forward to make a powerful story. Thats how anybody grows within anything they do. It’s from the criticism they have thrown at them… they make the suggested changes (while also critiquing themselves and making those changes) and moving forward to greatness.people arent trying to take you down and hurt your feelings so stop taking it personally. They are trying to help you.

  3. Very strange word choices at times, and clunky sentence structure. This has potential but the execution left me very underwhelmed. Trying to make a story with so many moving parts AND no dialogue takes a lot of skill, and just…eh.

    The one thing that especially stuck out to me wasn’t just the molestation thread, but I mean…Why the hell would the mother be out looking for the girls in the first place if she doesn’t even believe her daughter when she says she was molested? I know there’s some awful people out there who really don’t deserve to be parents, so her disbelief is plausible, but if she’s definitely a bad mother (As stated by the author), why would she even be in on the search?

    Also, I’m not saying teenagers and children don’t make things up just for fun and/or attention, but…really dude? Molestation? It’s such a delicate issue, and not only did these girls lie about something REALLY FUCKING SERIOUS, but they died for it. It just seems like the “moral” of this story is “Don’t lie about molestation…or die!” But of course, what if they had been telling the truth, and the father still went to kill the homeless guy (Or, I dunno, maybe called the fucking cops?), would the girls still have been killed?

    Lying women dying for their crime is such an old, cliché, and overused trope. Move on.

  4. I like the beginning. The cemetery is awesome. It was a very well-crafted description and background and I liked every inch of it. It’s a set-up for many cool and creepy stories.

    The aspect of missing girls started nicely. They were best friends, they were mischievous, decent candidates for their role. Parents, however, made not much sense. They were described so vaguely, I had to read the section about them more than three times and still had troubles understanding the parts about the pair of parents and the widowed father.

    I assume that the latter killed the girls. But why? What for? What was the cemetery and its keeper for, if it was all about random parent killing his daughter and her friends? It was unrelated in any way. Why would they all be killed on a cemetery, not somewhere else? Lots of unanswered questions after a very promising start.

  5. im sorry but you lost me at the molesting part, seriously whos mum dosent listen when she gets raped by a old man. terrible

  6. So, the dolls killed the girls for getting their caretaker murdered?? That’s the conclusion I came up with after going through all the comments and reading te story. But anway, this story (especially the description of the graveyard) was amazing, definitely a 9/10

  7. Ok so i gather that the widower killed the homelessman but who killed the girls? Overall i liked the story it painted a pretty grim picture but i think it should have stopped with the widower walking away. The statement about no one ever going back kinda threw me back in to middle school campfire ghost story feelings. But overall great story!

  8. Okay. I really enjoyed reading this pasta. It was well written; I like your writing style though I would probably add more details (I’m long when it comes to descriptions sometimes lol). Maybe the character’s interacting was not all too well executed and the ending may have been predictable (when it comes to this genre, the greatest percentage of endings are predictable but no less enjoyable) but the idea behind it was excellent. I tend to avoid doll stories because they freak me out but I still decided to read this one. No regrets, really. As for the gore, I think it’s not scary but it is horrifying. You did a good job when it comes to that! That part was really well written. I found no flaws there x) This is exactly the type of gore I include in my stories as well so it could be I’m subjective here :’D All in all, great work <3

  9. Well, I got all the whodunit stuff but the meaning of the girls deaths eludes me. I was gonna go with See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil. But the first girl’s eyes were intact. So I’m lost on the meaning of their deaths.

    1. Well, you won’t hear me say that it is _clearly_ explained in the story, because it isn’t, but the details of their deaths are related to their actions (or lack thereof) and relevant consequences.

      The first girl didn’t do anything (she also didn’t stop the others, though). The second listened to the plan and told the lie, but in the end her words had no consequences (as her mother didn’t listen). The last’s words are what actually (albeit indirectly) killed the man.

      1. The description of the cemetry was spot on! The idea of a cemetry for dolls is unique and intriguing. It set the mood for the story very well. Just one thing tho’. The story leaves so many things unanswered. I’m all in for open endings but this one seemed a bit too vague for my liking. From your comments here, if the actions or the lack thereof on the part of the girls are what got them killed, I think there’s very little information in the story to suggest these things. The story mentions only once about how the girl would do anything for attention. Maybe a bit more fleshing out of the girls’ character or atleast mentioning a few instances where “the girl cried wolf” would make the story much better.
        All that said, I still like your story. Thank you for posting it. Hoping to read more from you!

  10. WhatDoesTheFoxSay

    Referring to my other comment, when I said “I’m not sure if he really did” I meant I’m not sure he really did molest them..
    Just wanted to clear that up :)
    Thanks :3

  11. WhatDoesTheFoxSay

    I really, really like this story. It was well thought out, and while I THINK I know what went on (the motives and everything) it still leaves me to ponder over it. One of my new favorites, and I hope to hear more. :)
    **Oh, and I understood the molestation part, but I don’t understand if he actually did… Although it seems pretty clear. :)

  12. Nopr. I can’t let this go. Okay soooooooo

    We have the molestation of 3 girls. Parent who don’t listen, and parents who don’t speak up/ not heard. That’s all fine and dandy, and I loved the story truly for the beginning, but the ending gave me no clarity or even a sense of closure. >:I While I understand that “never ending” concept, even that feels “final” as if we solidly know that this will continue on forever. The ending was way too ambiguous for my liking. Great story though.

    P.s Bring back the pumpkins from Halloween >:I they were so cute lol

  13. Okay. The widower thought the old homeless man couldn´t be the “murderer” because he killed him. Because he believed his daughter.
    And in the end the girls just made the story up to get attention. (The story indicates that they weren´t ever nice girls so yes i think they did.) Than supernatural revenge and the widower is going to be the next victim.
    I for myself thought it quite a nice fic. A bit simple but nice to read.

    1. Thank you for explaining the ending! I feel a little daft for not understanding it in the first place. I originally thought it was just an ambiguous ‘non-ending ending’. Glad to see I was wrong.

  14. Fun interesting story if not remarkably predictable. Although I woulda been pretty upset at the end if those dolls didnt do anything. @applewedges-really? If you’re not mature enough to handle the violence in these works of FICTION, perhaps its time to find yourself a new genre. Gore isn’t always gratuitous. Some of us actually need it to tell the reader about an element of our stories. If cmt utilized some gore to show what happened to some little girls who got ripped apart by dolls well thats called storytelling .Grow up or find a new genre to appreciate. Back to the review. Well written, an enjoyable style to me. I think more description of what happenes to the girls would actually been better. It took a reread before I realized their tongues had been removed as it only specifies this for one of the girls. I am aware of the fact that there are some terrible mothers out there and some terrible kids who would fit your mold perfectly and I agree with you that its not as unrealistic as people think. That said, you have to deciede as a writer whether or not you want to boldly write it your way, or realize that a majority of the readers out there will see your themes and ideas as unrealistic or implausible, whether they actually are or not. I thought you could have put in some back ground info to show that the mother who disregarded her child’s accusations of molestation was an unscrupulous wretch of a woman or something like that, or play up the mischievous nature of the girl, just so it goes down easier with your reader. Or you could say fuck the reader, I’m the author, I’m the artist, and this is how it went down. If doing the latter be very prepared for readers and their implausibility complaints. Nice work. Terribly predictable, but still a fun read. 7/10. Keep reading and writing. Sorry for long review!

    1. You were right the first time, only one of the girl had her tongue removed. :-) The first was practically unharmed (except for being dead, of course) and the second was only missing her ears.

  15. P.S. You did some really terrible things to those girls in the cemetery. That sort of gore is simply not scary.

    Did I? I assure you no actual girl was harmed in the making of this story ^_^;
    No, seriously, there’s a little gore there but it’s not supposed to scare, neither it’s random or gratuitous, what was done to the girl had a very precise reason and meaning.

  16. Thanks to everyone who commented so far, regardless of appreciation. I am afraid that there are indeed mothers who would simply disregard accusations like those on the basis of thinking that their daughters are just looking for attention, and in this case you should throw in the fact that the alleged molestator was indeed unbelievable as such.
    Consider also that one of the girls never said anything, one did but her father didn’t mention that to anyone, so the mother of the other one who spread the story had comfort in the other parents never calling her to ask if her daughter had said something of the sort.
    As for the widower, there is a very good reason why he cannot share his knowledge…

    1. I understand that some mothers may not believe her child in a situation such as this, but the alleged molester was not a well respected member of the community, he was an insane homeless man, who was very poorly known by the townspeople. I still struggle to understand this part of the story, and unfortunately while you make some valid points, I don’t believe I ever truly will.

      P.S. I’m not the guy giving you a thumbs down on all your responses.

    2. I really enjoyed this pasta, I am wondering if there is going to be a sequel to this pasta? You mentioned in a reply that the widower had a “good reason to not share his knowledge of what happened.” I think that I would like the story SO much more if you explained what really happened to the girls, was it the dolls? Or did the widower have a part in their deaths? Please give me a second part!!!

  17. Loved the prose, especially at the beginning where the cemetery and its inhabitants were painted in vivid and otherworldly strokes that mapped the course for the rest of the story. I’m a firm believer that the beginning of a good horror story is just as important as the ending; the reader needs to be pulled into the tale from the get-go; the impending fear should be initially implanted (no matter how subtly) to set the tone and mood, and this pasta certainly didn’t disappoint in that regard.

    But where I was disappointed was in the misguided molestation angle. It’s difficult for me to imagine any mother so casually disregarding her daughter’s accusations of being molested, even if she felt the girl was only ‘crying wolf’ or vying for attention. At the very least, wouldn’t she have talked to the mother’s of the other girls right after the supposed incident was brought to her attention? If only to confirm her own feelings of doubt concerning her daughter’s accusations?

    The ‘mob mentality’ aspect of the parents seemed a little rushed and too general compared to the descriptive haunts you incorporated at the beginning, as was the callousness of the father of the third missing girl. Maybe it’s just me, but I would have liked more detail into the beliefs and thoughts of the townsfolk (especially the one father) in relation to how they felt about the cemetery’s ‘caretaker’. As it is now, the homeless man just reads like a ‘throw-in’ character; a knot to help tie the plot together instead of an actual person.

    The obscurity of the ending was fitting, but maybe a little too dubious. The cornerstone of your story were the dolls, yet you chose to end the tale by diverting the reader’s eyes toward the one person who seemed to have knowledge of what actually transpired, and then left the reader hanging and guessing why the man didn’t share his knowledge. It felt like a tease. A final paragraph or two swerving the reader’s attention back to the dolls in the same manner in which you introduced them would have (in my opinion) made for a creepier finale.

    All in all, a very enjoyable read. (Despite my nit-picking). Very well written, with good composition that was established from the outset. Look forward to reading more of your stories.

  18. This is yet another pasta that (in my opinion) shouldn’t have made the creepypasta website. What parent completely ignores his daughter when she says she was molested by a homeless man? I actually rolled my eyes when one of the mothers randomly thinks “Oh yeah, I remember now! She was molested!” Is that something most mothers would forget? No.

    The entire pasta was plagued unbelievable character reactions like the one’s I previously listed, and the strange “killer doll” concept was not only unoriginal but was also poorly executed. You missed the mark on this one.

    P.S. You did some really terrible things to those girls in the cemetery. That sort of gore is simply not scary. It just make me throw up in my mouth a little.

    1. I got so caught up with listing things wrong with the story that I forgot to list its redeemable qualities. (I do this often, and it makes me feel like a jerk when I read back over my comments.)

      While most of the pasta was (in my opinion) less then delicious, you did a very good job of describing the doll graveyard in the beginning of your story. Unfortunately, once you actually got the plot moving, I lost interest.
      As a writer, you really have to work on your character interaction. I know that you didn’t want to use dialog, but even without speech, you need to be able to make characters carry out conversation and make decisions in a way that isn’t completely awkward.
      Keep writing, you displayed talent and potential in your intro. Just put more thought into how characters would react when placed in scenarios. As a said before, no mother will ignore her daughter when she is claiming that a local homeless/insane man touched her.

      1. I do know mothers who did much worse things than simply disregarding a less-than-believable claim like that, coming from a daughter who always made such things up. Actually, I think that even the best mother in the world might think twice before believing something after the nth time her daughter lied to her to get attention, and this definitely wasn’t the best mother in the world, quite the opposite.
        You may not like the pasta for one hundred valid reason, I have no problem with that, but that particular thing is not as impossible as you believe it is.
        BTW, what was poorly executed about the dolls? I’d like more details about your thought on that, maybe I can improve it somehow.

        1. I do see your point when you say that a mother might not believe a molestation story from a daughter, who was constantly crying wolf. I actually know a girl who has told her mother at least twice that she was touched. After the daughter has made many similar claims before, I can see how a mother might not believe or even acknowledge another tall tale. Perhaps it was the way that you brought the knowledge of the molestation to the reader, without dialog of some sort. When the mother realizes that the molestation could have been a reality, her reaction or possibly lack of one hurts the flow of the story.

          Anyway like I said before, I did hammer your story a little too hard in my initial review, but I’ll explain my reasoning as best I can.
          Looking back I was wrong when I said that the “doll concept was poorly executed”. As far as the dolls went, your execution was successful (your strengths definitely include powerful description skills, which I should have praised in my initial review.); however your execution when it came to character interaction or character reaction was off.

          You really do have awesome potential, but maybe it would be good to put yourself or a person you know well in the shoes of a character. When you can, it is always a good idea to base characters off of a certain side of yourself or a friend/enemy. Thinking of ways real people communicate and live out their lives can help strengthen any writer.

          I hope you’ll forgive me for sounding really jerky in my first comment. I’m a very critical person, and I often tend to look at the bad sides of pastas rather than the good sides. Please continue to write. You could be really great.

        2. Actually, having someone looking at the bad sides of what you write is much better than having someone skip over them and look at the good ones only. ;-)
          I may not agree with some of the things you said, but rest assured that I’m fine with the fact that you said them.

        3. Unfortunately, you are 100% right about your view on mothers and how they deal with molestation reports most times. Spot on.

        4. Lol. No mother would be like “oh no my daughter’s missing.. oh yeah I forgot I think my daughter said she was molested?” Haha no never. I don’t remember it ever stating she lied nine times either. If you know so many mothers like this, I am sorry for you.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top