Advertisement
Please wait...

Devil’s Hole Cave



Estimated reading time — 7 minutes

Nathaniel  H. Jackson’s Journal
November 11, 1911

I had never intended on venturing into that cave. That cave where no one ever dared to go near. I remember when I was a child how my friends and I would play around the property border. Back then, the cave was on a plot of land that belonged to my uncle. He did not let anyone trespass, not even his own family. He hated his brother (my father) and didn’t do anything with the 200 acres until he died. Naturally, all of the land was an untamed wilderness.

When my uncle died, my parents had already been gone a long time. Being that I was the eldest in my bloodline, the property went to me. Whether my uncle wanted me to have it or not I will never know.

Advertisements

With the inheritance from my father, I had a lovely estate built on the property and am in the midst of cleaning up the land. Considering I don’t need too much space, I am also in the process of selling parts of the land.  I have had no trouble doing so. The property, as it turns out, is quite pleasant with a bit of grooming. The cave is the only exception.

I cannot determine whether they are wolves or coyotes but they do pose a threat. There is also the reason I began to investigate the cave in the first place. There is some sort of creature living in the cave. While there is probably a very logical explanation for what is in there, the legend behind it goes back several decades.

During the war, a group of Confederate soldiers marched through the territory which I own today. They found the cave and decided to camp there for the night. One man, who suffered from somnambulism, walked deep into the cavern while still asleep. He walked right up to a drop-off in the cave and fell about 200 feet. When the other men woke the next morning, they did not find their friend and went looking for him in the cave. When they came to the drop-off, they heard what they believed to be the voice of Satan himself.

I have heard and told this scary story many times. It has never affected me the way it does now. While the wild dogs are a problem, the legend also scares off potential buyers. I thought it in my best interest to find out what is in that cave and drive it out.

I have gathered some rope (a little more than 200 feet), some flares, an oil lamp, and my pack to carry it all in. Finally, I shall bring my father’s rifle, which I have only ever used on quails, and hope that it will be enough to protect me against any wild hounds. I will discover what exactly lurks in the cave first thing tomorrow morning.

November 12, 1911

Advertisements

It is difficult to write, for my hand is still shaking and my heart has not stopped racing. I did in fact encounter a malevolent being in the cave. I cannot say what I saw for in reality I saw nothing, but I fear I will never again be truly at peace after today’s venture.

I had left the house this morning at around five O’ clock and had taken the automobile as close as I could get it to where the cave was. The vehicle could not drive over the brush, so I set out on foot. From there, I was only about a mile away from the cave. As I was on my way, I realized what an effort it would take to make this land attractive to buyers. Several tall, dead trees are scattered across the land and refuse to fall. Their grotesque branches cast a grim feel over the land. The grass is up to my midriff and the insects are really quite terrible. I told myself that if I did not find anything remarkable about the cave that day then I would forget about the land around it entirely.

I made it to the cave unscathed but still annoyed at the swarm of bugs I had met on my journey. There were less bugs around the cave, which I was thankful for. It was still early in the morning but I wanted to get home as soon as possible. With relative precaution, I entered the cave.

The mouth of the cave was a bit of a squeeze, but I am somewhat slim and was able to maneuver my way through. As I went deeper into the cave, the ground slowly changed from rough soil to hard stone and the walls grew further apart. I did not need my lamp at first, for the light of the rising sun reached deep into the cave. There were no stalactites to worry about and the roof of the cavern was about eight feet up. I was beginning to feel a little disappointed. This legendary cave did not seem to have any significance at all. There was no light in the area ahead, so I picked up a small rock and threw it. To my surprise, I did not hear it land as soon as I thought it would. Instead, I heard it impact very far away.

My heart began to thump with excitement. I lit the oil lamp with a match and walked forward. Sure enough, just like in the old story, a steep cliff lied before me. I am not afraid of heights, but I did not want to fall into the abyss where no one would ever find me. I placed the lamp on the floor and lay myself flat on my stomach. I inched forward to get a better look at what was down there. I peeked my head over the edge to look down. It was pitch black. I would need to climb down.

Advertisements

With the tools I had brought, I hammered cleats into the stone floor and fastened my rope to them. I began to descend. I held my lamp in one hand and gripped the strong chord with the other. My pack held the flares and the rifle. For about five minutes I steadily lowered myself down into the darkness. I listened for any noise from below, but there was nothing. As I delved deeper, I began to wonder how facile it would be to return to the surface.

When the bottom of my boot touched the ground, I let out a sigh of relief. My lamp was still lit and the rope was still tethered to the surface. I looked around a good bit and walked forward. It was as though I was walking through an empty field at night. The air around me felt almost open and I could’ve sworn I felt a faint breeze. However, the ground was barren as a tile floor and the silence was quite ominous.

My brief amazement had distracted me. I really should have used some sort of marking system. When I was finally struck with reality, I found myself lost in the nothingness. A slight panic overcame me as I looked around, unable to determine which direction I had come from. I wandered in the vacuum and the silence, feeling like a helpless toddler. It was then that I stumbled upon the notebook.

I had felt something under my shoe and retraced my steps to find a small, leather journal. I picked it up and held it close to my lamp. The cover read one name: DANIEL RODRICK. I thumbed through a couple of pages and read one of the entries near the middle.

June 17, 1862
I had to see the doc today. He told me I got some namalism. I dont know what he meaned at first but he told me its just a fancy word for sleep walking. I dont need a doc to tell me I been sleep walking. I been doing it sinse I was a kid. Anywho the doc wants me to take these special pills to stay asleep. I gotta pack a whole bunch befor I leave tomorow.

I froze after reading that entry and closed the notebook. I had just found the journal of a man who sleep walks in a cave where a similar man is said to have died. As I stood there, in the midst of the nothingness, I heard the noise that will haunt me for as long as I live.

At that very moment, there came a low hissing sound. I have never been to the Arctic Circle, yet I felt my blood turn as cold as the ocean water that runs through it. A shiver ran down my spine and I nearly dropped the lamp from my trembling hand. Clutching the notebook and my oil lamp, I ran.

I ran as far as I could from the noise, but it did not cease. The hissing only grew louder and louder. I was looking straight ahead as I sprinted, not daring to look behind me. I was so blinded by genuine terror that I did not see the rough stone wall as I barreled into it. The force of the impact was so great that I shattered my lamp into a thousand tiny pieces and shards of glass.

Advertisements

I hit my head rather hard on the wall, but stood up immediately. Complete darkness. I put my hands to the wall and frantically walked parallel to it, moving to the right. I thought my heart would give out when I finally felt the familiar, coarse feel of my rope. I took a moment to steady myself, for I was breathing heavier than I ever had before.

When my breathing calmed, I realized that it was completely silent once more. I let out a small laugh, unsure if it was a laugh of relief or hysteria. Still clutching the rope with my right hand, I turned and put my back against the wall. My eyes might have been just as useful closed. There was only black. I stared into the darkness, my breathing now having gone almost silent. I could’ve turned around at any moment and ascend back into sanity. However, an unknown force kept me staring into the nothingness, expecting something more…

Something right in front of me began to hiss.

This hissing was the most horrifyingly vile sound to ever enter my mind. Whatever was before me was large and could strike fear into death itself. How I got out of that treacherous cavern is beyond my understanding. My memory of escape is smeared by the sound of that demon. That monstrous entity should have finished me off right then and there in that cave with my back against the wall. However, I came home today knowing that that beast wanted me to live in fear for trying to exploit it.

In the end, letting me live was the greatest torment that the monster could have bestowed upon me. It is now my curse to live with the memory of what the devil itself sounds like.

Credit To – Nicolas MF Morton

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

29 thoughts on “Devil’s Hole Cave”

  1. I agree in feeling like more could have been done with the demon. Yeah, he didn’t have his eyesight, but what other senses did he still have? Touch, smell, sound. All we get is hissing. For all we know, it could have been a really really big snake. We get more creep factor from the narrator’s reactions than what he’s actually reacting to, which in the end makes it come across as overreacting.

  2. Honestly, if someone related to me this story orally, my answer would be “you stumbled into a snake pit”. A hissing sound, though I’d never want to hear it in the dark, doesn’t make me think of a demon, not even remotely, and nothing in the story really tries to make it sound (no pun intended) as if it had any supernatural quality.

  3. Something that I found a little strange was that it started with the character speaking as if all this already happened, and after the story about the soldiers, the character starts talking as if nothing has happened yet. Other than that and the rushed ending, I loved the story

  4. The hissing in the dark cave instantly reminded me of a creeper from minecraft but I think 9/10 the ending was cool but it was kinda rushed

  5. Really well done!
    A few grammatical errors and a bit of a rushed ending, but genuinely frightening.
    Thanks for the delicious pasta.

  6. a nervous hobbit

    WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU VENTURE DOWN THERE ALL BY YOURSELF THAT IS DANGEROUS HELP ME IM SCARED okay sorry I’ll finish reading now I just…

  7. The guy could have just thrown some flares down the drop…He would have then been able to see what was down there. -_-

  8. Kaos McPunchfist

    Wait, wait. I don’t wanna seem like an asshole, but, a man enters a cave, and from the darkness, outside of his field of light, he hears hissing? And said hissing is following him? When does it blow up, and how hard does the man throw his controler/keyboard because he lost his only map and supply of redstone?

    (Pssst. Im reffering to minecraft, like, the creepers. This sounds a little like minecraft.)

  9. I really liked this one, it plays with that sort of Lovecraftian ‘fear of the unknown,’ and I actually like that the creature was never seen by the narrator or described in any way. Generally, an in-depth description of a monster is never as bad as what the reader can come up with in their own head. However, I agree with ALB that the soldier’s story seems out of place. It would be enough just to mention that people had been said to wander into the cave and not come out, you don’t have to also create a largely irrelevant character. But still, really well done! 9/10

  10. Shwetha Lucien

    I actually really liked this one. Plays more on the fear of what you can’t see rather than what you can. It could have used a bit more at the end though.

  11. I usually don’t leave replies but… If the journal entry was from 1852 (or around there)… Were pills even invented? And his English is very modern, too modern for being in that time period. That was my only big problem with this.

  12. Ugh this story is rife with grammar errors. I assume this story was written by a middle schooler, so I will not be too harsh in my judgement. I will say that the sporadic use of large words interrupts the flow of the story ie. somnambulism in place of sleepwalk. Use the same type of words in the story, either big words throughout or small words throughout, and fix the grammar errors, and fix the plot holes in the story and ull have a pretty decent story

    1. You misspelled “you’ll,” or “you will.” Therefore, I believe your complaint about grammatical errors and the big word/small word choice is invalid. The choice of switching from big words and small words is to keep the reader interested, plus they explained the more difficult words, such as explaining somnambulism is a disorder in which one sleepwalks. (My best subject is English. I know what I’m talking about. XD)

  13. I’m just going to pick on one thing in this story, and that’s the bit about the soldier:

    “One man, who suffered from somnambulism, walked deep into the cavern while still asleep. He walked right up to a drop-off in the cave and fell about 200 feet. When the other men woke the next morning, they did not find their friend and went looking for him in the cave. When they came to the drop-off, they heard what they believed to be the voice of Satan himself.”

    Okay, well, the sleepwalking guy wandering off in the middle of the night, that’s a good idea, that’s both plausible and creepy. But as-written it doesn’t make any sense. If no one else was awake, how does anyone know he wandered off a cliff? How do they know the cliff was “200 feet” to the bottom? And what does this have to do with the “voice of Satan”? What did Satan even say? Is he the one who clued them in about the dead soldier? Why does it seem as if the elements of this story don’t really correspond?

    “I froze after reading that entry and closed the notebook. I had just found the journal of a man who sleep walks in a cave where a similar man is said to have died.”

    Wow, that’s…incredibly convenient? Not just that he happens to stumble on the book, but that the first entry he just happens to see is the relevant one. And this adds nothing to the story, we may notice; no new information is imparted in this journal entry. If we’re going to find the book, shouldn’t it reveal something about the cave and the monster in it? Again it feels as if this thing about a soldier was grafted onto a story it bears no relation to.

  14. thischickeniscold

    Good job bro! Although, it may need some more monster details, and the ending seemed rushed. 7/10

  15. The story itself is interesting. The human imagination can be one of the worst things. However, this story was not so much creepy as interesting. It is like hearing my grandfather talk about the time he swore he saw Bigfoot in the backwoods.
    However, the noise–like Grandpa’s Bigfoot–could have been a number of things. But he will never know, so thus the fear. Anyways…
    Criticism? I didn’t feel like the diary and the language was befitting on someone who lived as early as they did. I think if the language was cleaned up the story could be very engaging.
    But it was missing a little something to push me over the edge. However, highly fascinating story.

  16. This is actually really good. Could’ve been better though (like nearly all stories, of course). I feel like you cut the story off about 3/4ths through. Did the demon crawl out of the hole using the rope, and is now free to roam the Earth? What did the demon look like? Gyaahhhh.

    Whatever, I 9/10’d it for you. Kudos.

    1. Hm I kind of agree with that, but then he never did see the demon, so it would have been odd to describe it. And the ending does explain that the problem was the knowledge that it actually did exist, and so close to him at that. No climbing out was needed for that purpose.
      Your version would have led to an interesting story as well :) perhaps a longer tale would have ensued, which is what I like!

    2. The demon let him leave so that he could have that horrifying memory stuck with him.It’s implied that the demon didn’t leave towards the end and stayed in the cave.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top