Advertisement
Please wait...

August Creepypasta Book Club: The Gift of Fear



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

It’s been awhile since we did a book club post, huh? I had originally intended to post this in July instead of the Discussion Post; however, so much crap was happening on the back-end side of the site (multiple DDoS attacks, the submission form turning evil after the last plugin update and causing the server to overload itself, etc) as well as various offline issues that I ended up just having to shelve this post until things were a bit calmer.

So if you were wondering why there was no Discussion Post last month, that’s why. I had originally intended to have submissions re-opened (check the sidebar Submission Status for the latest update on this; please don’t derail this post with questions that are already answered there – when submissions re-open, it will be a separate post) all the way back in the beginning of July; so I had felt that having that announcement + Discussion + Book Club would have left the front page looking a tad too bloated. But it seems the site had other ideas about how things should play out, so here we are. Better late than never, right?

SO.

Advertisements

The book that we’re going to talk about this month is very well-known; given that it’s almost twenty years old and spent a lot of time on the Best Seller list, many of you have probably heard of it already. However, it’s striking how well it’s held up and how relevant it remains – many of the scenarios the author details are still happening every single day.

The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker is, obviously, about fear. Specifically, how to identify when your fear is actually your intuition trying to warn you of incoming danger. Those of you who are fans of detective novels, games, and TV shows like Sherlock, Ace Attorney, etc, are probably already familiar with the idea that our unconscious mind notices clues and cues that our conscious mind, for whatever reason, filters out. I see a lot of discussion in our comments sections about the plausibility of how much (or how little) a protagonist notices and deduces before shit hits the fan (so to speak) in any given pasta, so I thought that this might be a topic that everyone would find interesting – and certainly worth applying to both their real lives and their writing.

From the Amazon Editiorial Review:

Advertisements

“Each hour, 75 women are raped in the United States, and every few seconds, a woman is beaten. Each day, 400 Americans suffer shooting injuries, and another 1,100 face criminals armed with guns. Author Gavin de Becker says victims of violent behavior usually feel a sense of fear before any threat or violence takes place. They may distrust the fear, or it may impel them to some action that saves their lives. A leading expert on predicting violent behavior, de Becker believes we can all learn to recognize these signals of the “universal code of violence,” and use them as tools to help us survive. The book teaches how to identify the warning signals of a potential attacker and recommends strategies for dealing with the problem before it becomes life threatening. The case studies are gripping and suspenseful, and include tactics for dealing with similar situations.

People don’t just “snap” and become violent, says de Becker, whose clients include federal government agencies, celebrities, police departments, and shelters for battered women. “There is a process as observable, and often as predictable, as water coming to a boil.” Learning to predict violence is the cornerstone to preventing it. De Becker is a master of the psychology of violence, and his advice may save your life.”

Over the course of the book, Mr. de Becker discusses and analyzes a lot of horrific scenarios; from the person making an eerily prescient joke about a coworker who – just a few moments later – then showed up to shoot up his workplace (perhaps not so eerie; the joker had actually noticed the warning signs but was consciously suppressing them) to a woman who escaped being killed by subconsciously noticing very small details about her attacker’s behavior – it’s honestly fascinating to realize just how much information we absorb (and both apply and ignore) about danger on a daily basis.

At this writing, The Gift of Fear is widely accessible; Amazon Prime has it included in their free lending library, it’s available for under ten bucks in most markets, the audiobook is available on Audible, and of course, given its age and popularity, your local libraries will likely have multiple copies. So please get your hands on a copy and join us in discussing the book in this post!

Advertisements

A few questions to get you started:

Advertisements
  • Have you ever had an instance in your life where you noticed the signs as detailed by de Becker and listened to them, only to find out later that your intuition had saved yourself from a sticky or dangerous situation?
  • What fictional characters can you think of who use this sort of hyper-attention to detail and intuition? Did you realize that such a habit was something we all do, or did you think it was more of a ‘superpower’ that these characters had exclusively?
  • How aware of such signals do you try to be when writing your own creepy stories? Do you think there’s a line where a character becomes unbelievable if they pay too much (or too little) attention to danger signs and their intuition?
  • Can you think of any pastas that use this idea, whether as an overall concept or by having the protagonist particularly attuned to their intuition?

Please have fun discussing this book! As always, the basic comment guidelines apply: be excellent to each other, even if someone posts an opinion that contradicts your own.

Contest has been removed due to total lack of interest/entries. Clearly, I need better ideas for giveaways, so if you have feedback/ideas feel free to let me know either via the comments here or Contact Us!

Additionally, the book club idea seems to be falling rather flat. I probably won’t do this again, unless anyone has a major lightbulb flash of inspiration on how to make the idea more appealing/interactive.

*Amazon affiliate links are present in this post. If you use any of them to make a purchase, the site received a small kickback. I use this revenue to pay for the site expenses and contests like this one, so you get a billion thanks if you use our affiliate link to make a purchase!
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

10 thoughts on “August Creepypasta Book Club: The Gift of Fear”

  1. I have actually already read this book for my Krav Maga class and found it to be an amazing book. I loved it.

  2. I tried to do an entry to the contest and the widget always gave an error and i never could join and the same happened to my friend…… i bet more people had the same issue… so maybe it’s not lack of interest but a problem with the entries… Even with the lack of interest you wouldn’t have just a couple of entries… It seems unfair to me that i spend day after day for a week or so trying to register for the event and i couldn’t register….

    1. At first there was an issue with it requiring email verification and not sending the email, which I discovered on my own. I removed it and replaced the widget, tested it several times from different devices/IPs before deleting my own entries, and assumed that it worked for everyone because it worked fine for me and, before your comment, nobody mentioned the issue.

      It would have been helpful if someone had let me know what the issue was, taken a screenshot, anything. The fact that nobody did, to me, is just more proof of lack of interest. I’m only hearing about this now, when I’d think that if people were really dying to enter, they would have at least mentioned the issue to me. If you were trying to enter every single day, I’m confused as to why you didn’t drop a comment before now.

      I’m sorry if it seems “unfair” but I wish you – or anyone – had said something earlier; if ANYONE had given me ANY information about this in order to identify and troubleshoot the issue, it would have happened. But given that not even one person complained until AFTER the contest closed, I think it’s a pretty accurate assumption that there was little to no interest in this contest.

      1. In this case, i have an awful connection in my country (that’s why i always participate on giveaways/contests since we have limits imposed by our government and we have currency control which we cannot buy anything from the outer world- as in anything outside our country and currency which we’re not able to exchange to anyother currency-… iykwim) and this comment thing wouldn’t let me post anything since when you changed the widget i tried to post as you requested to and it gave an error anyway… i was mad about the internet wouldn’t let me post anything and i wouldn’t receive the email for the disqus thing to post the comment so i gave up and wished luck to someone else… then i realized you deleted it (this website is my guilty pleasure everyday at my shitty workplace so this contest is the first thing i saw everyday since i have to set to load many stories when i arrive in the morning so i can read them through the day because the internet here SUCKS D…. it takes up to 10 minutes to load a story sometimes) trust me when i say that i could have written before i certainly would have done it… but there are certain factors that FUCKS MY WEB SURFING UP more than I’d like to even tolerate… but then again… shit happens… Hope you do a contest in the future and I’ll do my best to complain in time if needed or just drop a comment :)…. Sorry for all the ranting but… people have no idea what we deal with in this shithole… I’ve thought about writing a pasta about my daily life… which is scary AF… but anyway… Thanks for answering :D. Keep up the good work with the site.

        1. I see! If you’re able to use twitter reliably, I do check my mentions every few days – that can be a good way for people to get in touch with me if somehow both the Contact form and the comments are not cooperating with them.

          I’m not opposed to doing more contests, however it appears I’d definitely need to find a different widget first. If it turns out that enough people were interested specifically in Her Story, I don’t mind running the contest (even if on a smaller scale with less copies), but I’m also interested in hearing people’s suggestions for prizes that they’d be more interested in seeing me give away.

          Looking at the two low-interest giveaways, they’ve both been games, so maybe that’s something for me to move away from in the future.

  3. Nicola Marie Jackson

    When I was 16 I went for a walk and a car stopped and asked for directions. I remember him asking for the name of a street and feeling like he had pulled the name from the air but I didn’t know the area so couldn’t be sure but I do remember thinking something was wrong, that the car had passed me several times, and if he was lost then he could have, right? He asked if I wanted a lift and was not taking no for an answer. I hated to upset anyone and was thinking of getting in so that he didn’t think I didn’t like him (I had no self confidence and the thought he liked the look of me didn’t enter my head and back then I thought only pretty girls were attacked -I was 16 so that was years ago, I don’t think that now) Anyway, I was going to but something was screaming in my head not too, and so I carried on with the polite No’s that he didn’t seem to want to hear. Eventually he drove off looking pissed and not in the direction of the pub were I suggested he go to ask directions. I hope he never persuaded anyone else to get in his car because like I said, he didn’t like the word No.

    1. I had an experience like that. I was walking to the grocery store on a fine morning. A car stopped, and the man leaned over to ask for directions. He had what looked like a doctor’s prescription form, and held it close to the steering wheel. I could not read it, and almost leaned in to see, but something stopped me. There was no one around. I backed up on the sidewalk, and he stomped on the gas and sped off screaming and cursing me. I will never know what would have happened if I leaned in. I did not see a license plate, he left so fast.

  4. You just need to ensure that you live in a territory that allows you to receive a gift from a US-based Steam account. More info here:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-restricts-steam-gifting-and-trading-between-regions/
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1266-QFZC-2141

    If I’m reading it right, since I’m US-based, I should be able to gift anywhere… but I wanted to put that note in there in case I’m wrong and the recipient’s location somehow matters.

  5. I am currently reading the fifth chapter of this book right now and it is fascinating. Fascinating enough that I might finish it all in one go!

    It resonates with me a good deal because I have been in a violent situation like some of the ones in the book. I was closing a store one night when a man walked in and robbed us. And, you know, it’s funny, I can be flustered when things get hectic at work. I can be short tempered and I just wouldn’t think I would be the best sort of person to have in a crisis. But, every time in my life, without fail, when shit truly hit the fan, when, as Gavin De Becker says, the stakes are high, it is like a switch is flipped inside me. Everything slows down. I notice more things. I think calmly and methodically and yet very rapidly. Never before reading this book would I have thought to identify this as fear. After all, fear is a stumbling block, right? It holds us back like a deer in the headlights.

    Only, that’s not all fear does, as De Becker deftly points out. And looking back to that robbery, I was definitely afraid, and yet it wasn’t a paralyzing fear. It was almost primal fear. It was like a separate me inside of me was guiding me on how best to survive and protect the people around me. First my inner me said “Don’t fight… yet” when he came around the counter, grabbed my arm and demanded our money. I saw he had a hand in his pocket. He could’ve had a gun or he could’ve just been trying to intimidate me. But it wasn’t worth finding out, I knew I had to treat it like it was a gun.

    “No sudden movements” my voice said, “Don’t cry, don’t scream. Give him what he wants, he’s jumpy and wants to be gone.” I opened the register and loaded the money in a bag at his direction. “Don’t look directly at him” my inner voice warned. I didn’t want him to think I was memorizing his face/build/clothes to report to the cops. I was, of course, but I couldn’t let him see that, I had to appear as a non-threat.

    One of our overnighters walked in just then. I knew if she approached behind the counter it could make a bad situation a lot worse very quickly. “Make her stay away” my inner voice warned. So, I called out to her, calmly, to hang on a second before she came back and to stay there for a moment. She was puzzled, but she complied. The man grabbed the bag and bolted out the door. “Wait,” my voice said as he left. “Don’t follow, wait till the door shuts, call the cops”

    They caught him fairly quickly because our ultra smart robber was wearing a bright red hoodie and driving a bright red pick-up truck. Go figure. But it is fascinating how my experience paralleled some of the others I have read in the books so far. One that really stood out to me is a woman who was kidnapped who kept hearing a voice in her head say “calm, calm, calm” as she talked to her captor. I was nodding and going “Yes, yes, that’s almost exactly what is was like! I knew I had to be calm!”

    I had heard of this book before but had never tracked it down before now. I am glad I did. It is proving to be excellent reading!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top