Advertisement
Please wait...

Arthur



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

You volunteer at the mental health clinic. Given the dangerous nature of the residents, they assigned you the rooms of the less violent patients. The suicidal. Those who hear voices. Those that don’t say anything at all.

You become close to a mute man named Arthur. He is a rapt listener, willing to nod his head for hours as you tell him the story of your life. You mention your past, your present. The people involved in both. Your hopes for the future.

And Arthur just nods.

After several months of listening, you figure that you owe it to Arthur to get him out of the clinic. He can’t be happy sitting in a room by himself nodding at interns everyday. You talk to the supervisor of the clinic. You argue that he isn’t harming anyone. That he grooms and feeds himself with no problems. That perhaps his condition is a physical aliment.

The day comes when your arguing pays off. The supervisor has agreed to let Arthur go. You rush to his room to tell him the news. “You’re free!” You shout. “Isn’t that great?”

And Arthur just nods.

You write your name and address on a piece of paper. Hand it to him. “I’m going to miss having someone to talk to.” You say. “But now you can write me. I can learn all about you. Like why they were so insistent in having you in here, pal. I had to fight Dr. Thanner everyday to get you out.”

He looks at you and takes the paper. Just nods.

Advertisements

You go home, feeling good about yourself. You brag to everyone you can tell, friends, family, classmates, co-workers, about how you came through for Arthur. You even fall asleep with a smile.

That night, your eyes snap open. Screams, unearthly screams wake you up.

Then you see them. Your mother. Your father. Your friends. Your classmates. Your co-workers. Lying on your floor, their blood soaking into your carpet. Your walls stained with carnage. Their heads bashed in, their eyes missing from their sockets. Everyone you know dead or dying.

You whimper and see a man standing in the doorway.

Advertisements

It’s Arthur, holding the piece of paper you gave him.

Your entire body shaking, you choke out. “Are you here to kill me?”

And Arthur just nods.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

132 thoughts on “Arthur”

  1. ThisIsANameForAComment

    Is THIS why people hold no respect for interns and use them as guinea pigs and experiment fodder and such? If so, it finally makes sense.

  2. If you asked him “Are you here to NOT Kill me?” and he nods, that would have been a different story.

  3. oooooh, this one was really good! still, wouldn’t the person learn from a doctor what was wrong with Arthur? or maybe Arthur just disliked him?

  4. Ehhhh. It was alright.
    Just didn’t seem believable how they just so easily released him after a bit of badgering. Besides who would really kick up a fuss about releasing a mental patient then decide to give him their address.
    Plus let’s sleep through the murders of all my relatives….

  5. Father Litmatch

    I’m a sociopath with violent tendencies. And I can bathe myself and groom myself. In fact i don’t feel anyone among you deserve the pleasure of grooming someone like me.

  6. This is an epic pasta I love this one though it was a bit predictable and how come the main characters boss just lets Arthur go without explaining why he was in the psych ward in the first place 10 stars though great job

  7. I think that there could’ve been a better story…. maybe explain that Arthur hated the man who released him, for some reason?? I don’t know. It’s a good story, though :)

  8. Arthur must have gotten busy to get that all done in one day, plus with his age he must be some kind of strong to take on all of those people. Also how did he track down all of your classmates and co-workers who could live anywhere?
    The plot holes sort of ruined it for me but i still enjoyed it.

    1. The author says that I (or you) have been talking to Arthur for months. You/I have probably mentioned small details we didn’t even realize we were saying while Arthur just nods. idk???

  9. why didn’t he ask arthur to write stuff down before he released him from the institution…he obviously had the supplies….

  10. I liked it.
    Though what was most unsettling was that I pictured Arthur as the children’s cartoon character of the same name.
    That makes this shit really messed up.

  11. No way would I be that retarded.

    But at the end, instead of saying, “Are you here to kill me?”, what if I say, “Would you like to have some tea and not kill me?”. I mean, all the guy can do is nod.

  12. How the Hell did Arthur track all these people down in one day, kill them, then get them into my house without anyone noticing?

  13. xD

    When you picture Arthur, from the cartoon Arthur, in a small padded room, nodding, taking a piece of paper, looking at it, nodding, and then nodding in response to “Are you here to kill me?” this pasta is a joke. xD

    6/10, though, because if it weren’t 10:00 AM, more like… 11:00 PM here this would be quite creepy.

  14. You deserved it because:

    1. You argued to get a mentally ill patient out of the care he needs because you feel guilty for loading all your freakin problems on him.
    2. You meddled in something you have no right to. You’re just a silly volunteer. What do you know about the insane?
    3. You should know it’s common sense to never give your address to someone you don’t even know. He obviously has some sort of problem.

    And lastly, you deserved it all because you slept through Arthur lugging in the bodies of your loved ones without even waking up. That’s just an epic life fail.

  15. A few things

    a) He gave a patient in a mental hospital his ADDRESS? WHUT THE FUGG?

    b) Did he not check what the guy was in there for in the first place?

    c) No one resorting to volunteer work should have a bedroom that big.

  16. Shitty story, you could see the ending coming from a mile away

    >Mental patient
    >Naive moron
    >mental patient gets out and knows the address of naive moron

    results in rape and pillaging

  17. although this is pretty sweet i cant help but feel that someone with a background enough in psychology to have an internship at an institution would know better than to try to get someone out of the institute, and then tell them where you live, without know anything about them other than they dont talk

  18. dude, im seeing arthur from the show “arthur” just standing there nodding with dead bodies piled around him

  19. for all those people wondering how I got everybody into his house, I do know how to say two words in real life. “HOUSE. PARTY.”

  20. There are obvious gaps, and it was a little disappointing. There were many oppurtunities to make it deliciously eerie, but right around the middle, it took on the poorly made saturday night slasher flick approach.

    None the less, it was still rather good. A little bland, but still a lovely pasta.

    Practice makes perfect.

  21. I thought it was funny that everyone the narrarator knew in his entire life fit into a single bedroom.

    but geez guys, relax, this story is just for entertainment, no need to rip it to shreds.

  22. How did so many people (like 50 at least) fit into a bedroom? That was the worst part, completely and utterly ridiculous, that makes no sense whatsoever.

  23. Sheesh… you’re just plain stupid if you tell the guy everything about your life and then give him your address when you really don’t know anything about him… why not give him an e-mail address instead?

    But whatever. Good concept.

  24. Why must it be writen in the second person, it ruins it all for me personally, and so many unasnwered questions…blah blah I’m too sleepy to list them all but I agree with the majority :)

  25. I saw that coming from the beggining. I mean, how stupid can you get, giving your address to a craxy kook? Good start, but it needed more detail.

  26. 1. i pictured sling blade
    2. Arthur is an ingrateful little bugger!…you were so nice and…
    3. he brings basically everyone you know to your house and kills them? no one is big enough to overpower him or have the sense to pick up a cell phone and call for help?
    4. the narrator slept through the deaths?…he must’ve taken some strong sleeping pills.
    5. when arthur was let free…where did he go?
    crap reading too much into it again…

    oh, didn’t like it…that was the point i was making.

    that is all.

  27. well,i think this guy sleept so well that he didn’t hear the screams or so(i didn’t wake up at a 7.3 earthquake or at a person who was hitting my bedroom door with his foot,stuff can happen when you sleep like me)Maybe arthur felt good in the asilium and he didn’t want to leave so he got his revenge,and about that”how did he know my friends and relatives”part i think the guy just tolled him his life story when he worked in the asilium

  28. Well, I had to let the bitch go because that Holder of watchmacallit was killing every other mental patient. Amazing we get a few hundred requests to see the guy. No one makes it out alive.

  29. huh, when it got to the part about him giving his address to arthur i pretty much figured out what would happen.

    pasta not so good this time

  30. I find it amusing that everyone is picking this to shreds of credibility when the post that started this site was “who was phone” Personally I liked it, I think it was quite a cool concept

  31. Holy shit! I kinda expected the last part, but what the hell? Wouldn’t they at least consider that? I mean helloooo, suicidal patients? It was bound to happen.

  32. @22. I was thinking the exact same thing.

    reminds me of this short story called ¨Mr. Loveday’s Little Outing¨, except this one’s…well…not as good lol. but not baad.

  33. Kind of lame. The ending was pretty much clear from miles away and, really, it felt far too unrealistic to take full advantage of the second person style.

  34. @Sentinel 48

    Agreed. It’s just for entertainment. If you are all about plots and stuff, read another pasta that is complete please.

  35. Despite these plot holes being picked apart already, it bears repeating:

    – why would the supervisor let a homicidal maniac go?
    – was the supervisor just that incompetent?
    – why did Arthur suddenly turn violent if he was not before? or, if he was before…
    – what triggered the violence now if he was a “non-dangerous” patient in the asylum?
    – how did all those people fit into a bedroom?
    – how did Arthur find them or even get them to arrive? or…
    – did they show up on their own, and if so, why?
    – how did Arthur find narrator’s house so easily if he is mentally disturbed?
    – how did narrator sleep through the killings?

    Too many plotholes, not enough time. Shame, shame, shame.

  36. At shuriken (#38): It’s not so much that it has to be longer, but that it needs more detail, a more subtle touch, if you will. I do agree there’s merit in making something short and sweet, stories are more shocking that way. However, this story is stuck in the middle. To long to be a good shock, too short to be a creepy story that sticks with you.

  37. You’re not very fit to work in a mental asylum if you can’t respect the patient-staff interaction rules, are you? Giving out your address as well? That’s about as smart as running into a graveyard for safety during a zombie invasion.

    That said, the lack of supernatural in this story was oddly refreshing, even though I am partial to the unexplainable . I agree that the pacing of this story is too fast, and waking up to four dead bodies is illogical. Perhaps have the protagonist walk through the house and find the dead bodies? There seems to be a lack of suspense at the killing part.

  38. It was pretty good but as if agureing with your boss to let a mental paitent would work, espically if hes suicidal too.. :/

  39. Do you know why that’s funny?
    Because my friend and I, we’re bitches. We like to make fun of people, we tease them. There’s this one boy, Arthur. We’ve systematically taken every fault this boy has to heart. At first, he was able to fight back verbally. His insults turned worse and worse until they just became pleas, the pleas became muttering and sniffing, now all Arthur does is nod. He just looks straight ahead and nods.

  40. Hi, I wrote this.

    To be admitted to a mental health clinic, you are given an evaluation. They ask you a serious of questions and you answer them. Arthur was admitted because of the answers he gave on his evaluation indicated a disturbed mind. Simply disturbed. Not violent.

    I quite like the theory that someone posed about the person the story was about being insane.

    But, honestly, this was written for fun on my livejournal project, http://awcreepypasta.livejournal.com

    I appreciate your criticism, everyone.

  41. When did creepypasta have to be long to be good? I think this one’s good, but too long. I feel like it could be scarier if it was shorter.

  42. I like the whole “you” perspective instead of “I” or “he/she”, and I agree with most of the posts on here. Like really, what is the significance of taking everyone you know into one room? if he didn’t mean to wake you up, then why not just kill everyone in separate places? Assuming you would wake up upon hearing the death of your friends/family in your room, or even house, then arthur must have killed them elsewhere, then brought them into your room, which is retarded because why would he do that? just to freak you out? wtf plotholes…

  43. Ok. Ok. Ok.
    Lemme think this through…
    Basically everyone I knew was killed by Mr.ArthurMurderFace. How can that many people fit in my room? My room is quite small…
    :/
    nice pasta nontheless

  44. @15: Hahaa, me too. Now I’m imagining this little cartoon aardvark going around killing people and it’s fucking HILARIOUS. Ahahaa.

  45. Look at it this way, people;

    How would Arthur have gotten everyone that the narrator told into his bedroom?

    Obviously the narrator himself has gone nuts.

  46. Wait. So, he grabs everyone I know, brings them all to my house, and kills them? Nuh-uh. My family, that’s plausible. But everyone I know?
    To quote Get Smart,
    “I find it hard to believe.”

  47. The Person Formerly Known as 'Noneya'

    Not so much CREEPY, as. . . Well, gorey.

    No suspense, no real plot, this was good for a quick warm up for some of the other pastas.

    A decent entree’ sort.

    Lulz, I Are teh serioos.

  48. So…Why does 2nd Person Protagonist fight to let a guy out on his own if all he can do is sit and nod? Oh, he
    can feed and groom himself! He’ll be FINE in the real world! If you ask me, the stupid bitch deserves it.

  49. I think the nodding was good.
    Adds to the creepy!ness.
    i agree with #5 though. Bit more detail would’ve been better and, to have tooken it a bit slower.
    ^^

    ~Peace ‘n Love
    Bagel-chan

  50. Happens too fast, if you ask me. All of a sudden, Arthur’s killing everybody. Had potential for a lot of creepiness if the author took his time, and developed more of a story.

  51. good concept, the nodding was a bit retarded though. Kinda ruined the story. It could of been done a lot better than the way it was done, honestly.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top