Advertisement
Please wait...

Allodoxaphobia



Estimated reading time — 6 minutes

The Red Cross had been aggressive in the previous few weeks. It felt like every day I would get a phone call soliciting my donation. That was my punishment for surrendering my contact information at my job’s blood drive. Truth was, an hour off of work was far more alluring than the prospect of helping out or “making a difference” as they put it. Karma is ruthless.

I answered the first time, not recognizing the number. They always have a unique way of making you feel guilty before they ask; “Thank you for your last donation! The blood you gave saved three lives!” And after listening to the lady describe the ongoing desperation for more donations, I feigned concern and let her know I will stop in at some point. When she offers to schedule me an appointment, I awkwardly reply that I am very busy and cannot commit to anything specific. She thanks me through a rehearsed judgmental tone and hangs up.

She called again the next day and left a voicemail when I ignored the call. I listened to it later in comical disbelief as it was the same woman as before, yet she was speaking as if we had never talked yesterday. I assumed this was a simple mistake. After all, who knows how many calls she had to make each day. But the calls continued. Never malicious, and unwaveringly pleasant, oblivious that she was leaving the same message every day.

Advertisements

Eventually she started calling from different numbers. I answered the first time and lied, telling her I had already donated earlier in the week. She thanked me and apologized for the oversight in records. The next day she called again, leaving another voicemail identical to the all of the others. How dense was this woman? I answered the next phone call and requested that I be removed from the call list. After a momentary sound of fingers tapping on keys, she informed me that my name was out of their database and apologized for the inconvenience.

But the calls did not stop.

Once a day, around the same time, and never from the same phone number. It became routine to simply ignore the call and delete the message without listening to it. Some quick research online yielded that these relentless solicitations were not uncommon, and on rare occasions have resulted in legal action. It seemed a bit much to me.

It had gone on for some time before I stumbled upon the emails. As was common practice when signing up for something I generally felt apathetic about, I used a junk email account normally reserved for password retrieval and spam. For every call, they had sent me five emails each titled “Sorry we missed you!” and each signed simply by “Vicky”.

It wasn’t until that point that I realized just how long these calls had been going on. What organization that relies on charity has the amount of resources needed to bother people this much? It felt entirely creepy. I decided to deactivate my email account.

When my phone rang the next day I could have sworn the caller I.D. read “mom”. But when I answered it was the Red Cross again. Vicky. In shock I hung up and checked my incoming call list, relieved to find it was just the most recent in a long list of random numbers. It felt so real though. Too real. I called my mother just to be sure.

Advertisements

That evening I sat and weighed my options. The calls needed to stop but any action beyond doing what I had already seemed like overkill relative to the inconvenience. I could threaten Vicky with the police but if the calls continued, would I really call the cops on the Red Cross? Changing my number seemed equally absurd. In the end I decided to swallow my pride. I dialed the last number that she had called me from and waited for Vicky’s false politeness to flood my ears.

Coincidentally there was a blood mobile set-up in a Wal-Mart parking lot not too far from where I lived. She set me up with an appointment and thanked me profusely for “saving lives”, even going as far as calling me an “angel”. For some reason, that word gave me chills. Even if going only made the calls go away for a few months, it was worth it. It would at least afford me some sanity so I could find a more permanent solution.

As I pulled into the parking lot I glanced down at my watch. I had arrived fifteen minutes early, as if going to a job interview. I had demanded to be the first appointment, which to my dismay had been seven in the morning. As a consequence the lot was horrendously abandoned. I parked my car and made my way to the front door of the bus. It looked identical to the one I had been in before (it could have even been the same one). Before I could knock, the door folded open and a short, chubby man with glasses popped his head out. “Seven?” The suddenness had stolen my speech. I only nodded. “You’re early but that’s ok. Come on in and have a seat wherever you’d like”.

The bus was set up for multiple people, eight from my count. So I found the idea that it was only me here unsettling. I immediately regretted the frustration that made me insist on being here so ungodly early. As soon as I sat down the man reached around me and strapped me to the seat. I shot him and uneasy glance which he responded to with an awful, nasally laugh. “It’s to keep you from falling out if you pass out. You know, safety precaution.”
“Is this new? I don’t remember this at all”

“Yes it’s new, we wouldn’t want you bumping that head of yours”

Advertisements

The man was mostly concealed behind a white lab coat. He wore a visor that reminded me of one that a banker would wear in those old westerns. Whenever he leaned in too close you could smell something awful. Once he laughed I could see why. Had the man ever brushed his teeth?

He swabbed my arm with alcohol and swiftly inserted the needle. I watched as my blood worked it’s way down the tube, below my chair. Then something occurred to me. “Don’t you need information from me? Like if I have any tattoos or if I have traveled to Africa or something? What if I’m not healthy enough to give?”

“With men your age we don’t worry too much after testing the first time. I’ll get all of your information afterwards”.

Something didn’t seem right with that. Did he forget and was covering his tracks? I rested my head back and let it go. Why make something out of nothing. I felt fine.

After a couple of minutes he came back over and adjusted something underneath my seat. As he stood up he noticed the scar on my other arm. “What happened to your arm?” “Biking accident when I was really young”. He focused on it for a moment, as if taking in every detail. Finally he responded, “Oh that’s too bad…too too bad”.

The man continued to pace the aisle, occasionally stopping to do something under my chair. Eventually I started to feel nauseous. How long had it been? I looked down for my watch and it was missing. Had I taken it off? Did I forget it today? I frantically retraced my steps, unable to come to a definite conclusion. Had he taken it? I couldn’t just accuse him of swiping a $10 watch. I asked him for the time and he shrugged saying he wasn’t sure.
I felt so tired.

He knelt down again and this time I craned my neck to see what he was doing. I watched in horror as I realized what was happening. He was switching a full bag with an empty one, every time. My heart started to race. How many? How many bags has he filled with my blood? I called out to him, surprised at the amount of effort it took. “Aren’t we done yet?” He turned and smiled. “You have a rare blood type and usually in a case like this, when the donor is healthy enough, we take a double donation”.

Advertisements

I knew my blood type…and he was lying.

With all of my effort I reached down to pull the strap loose. I don’t know how it had happened so quickly. I didn’t have enough strength to undo a Velcro strap. He watched me struggle for a moment before walking over to me and seizing my other arm. I screamed but it did not make him hesitate for a second.

“We need to get some fluids in you. You do not look well at all”.

He slid another needle quickly beneath the skin of my other arm. For a brief moment I thought everything might be ok. But after watching my blood fill the empty tube I accepted what was happening. He was bleeding me dry.
My breathing was becoming labored. I had lost so much energy that every attempt to call for help was stifled to a whimper. Finally I begged through a whisper “Please, please don’t do this”. He just retorted with a chuckle. I was going to die here.

My eyes struggled to stay open as I clung to consciousness, to life. I heard a knock on the door behind me and I tried to yell, but nothing came out. Then I heard the door open and a familiar voice rang through.
“Are you nearly finished?”
Vicky…
“Yes, we can take the rest later”
“Anything I should know?”
“Yes, there is some significant scar tissue on his left arm. The skin will have to be processed”
“That’s fine, a little one can use it”

Credit To – Nick

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

31 thoughts on “Allodoxaphobia”

  1. good pasta, but i have one question. what exactly is allodoxaphobia? and how does it cut to the story ‘cuz i see no mentioning of phobias in the story

  2. I hate when it’s them talking and i think “okay so obviously they are going to live”… but then they die >:( like he story is so good and it reels me in and i really like the character and i dont want them to die!!!! But like I kind of mentioned it was berry gewwwdddd! Nice job! Moreeeeeee *zombie moan*

  3. ToxicKatastrophic

    Hey I love the pasta but I don’t like the name you had for it Allodoxaphobia is the fear of other peoples opinions

  4. AllieInWonderland

    So, this was creepy. Over all I liked the story. But the only thing I had an issue with was the fact that Allodoxaphobia is the fear of other peoples opinions. I guess that ties into the “saving peoples lives” comment from the nurse?

    1. I totally agree! The very first thing I did after reading this was to look up the title word. The title is ridiculous, it makes me think the author didnt do the appropriate google search prior to writing this. I also agree that it wasn’t well thought out because, being written in 1st person, he couldn’t have written this after he died…

      Change the format, third person perspective. Also could take accounts from his mother, saying how her son had complained frequently about being harassed by the Red Cross. Pull voicemail records. APB on his car plates. I don’t know.

      Or, keep it first person, and let him survive (but barely) and have him try to warn people, but then have no proof of any blood drive being at that WalMart that day, and the voicemails vanish as well as call records. That would be really creepy!

      And, change the freaking title to Hemophobia, or Hematophobia, which would actually make sense.

      1. I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

        In moments like these I’m always reminded of the quote “anyone who claims they are great at communicating but people are bad at listening clearly doesn’t understand how communication works”.

        When I had uploaded the story, I had expected a bit of criticism surrounding the ambiguity of it (including the choice in tense). But I have to be honest, the negativity regarding the title is a complete surprise. And you’re very much not alone! I chose the name because I felt that the protagonist’s fear of confrontation was the driving force behind his situation. From putting up with the aggressive phone calls (and eventually acquiescing to their demands) to being afraid to confront the man about his very peculiar behavior, the protagonist consistently chose against aggression. He was even afraid how it would seem if he accused the man of taking his watch.

        So for better or worse that’s how I arrived at the title. I still am rather fond of it but as I alluded to at the beginning of my reply, my opinion truly matters the least.

        Thanks again for the feedback!

        1. Well, I understand now. I guess it works. The main characters behavior really just matches meekness, not a social phobia. (Which normally manifests very strongly). But at least I get it.

        2. I think your title works perfectly. Your opinion is actually the most important, this is your work. Be true to yourself and your thoughts, your writing won’t ‘feel true’ if you are changing things just so other kids can understand what you mean better. It is good to explain your reasoning, but don’t change for others, then your story is no longer ‘yours.’

          Hope to see more from you.

  5. Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I discovered this site a couple months ago and have been impressed by the community here. You all have given me some things to consider if/when I decide to write another one.

    Thanks again, and stay scared!

    1. MoonsShineDragon

      What was up with the ending? I don’t understand it. It kinda reminds me of men in black. Also why’d you give it that name? It makes no sense.

  6. So, they killed him, but still, afterwards, he can tell what happened? How? This story should have been in the present tense, at least from the point where he actually goes to donate blood, not in past tense, otherwise he either survived or he’s now some sort of undead (which is in no way a logical consequence of the events).
    That said, the story is more kind of funny than creepy. The deluce of phone calls is even believable (I lived something like this, although it was a telephone provider rather than the Red Cross), and the behaviour of the narrator in the last part is so weak that you almost feel like he deserves being recycled after all. The villain’s actions and motivations are completely obscure, the last sentence doesn’t really explain much.

  7. Thank you for those gruesome images. Now I will never be able to give blood again. Definitely deserves a 10. Now then, onto an evening of nightmares.

  8. Loved the premise of this pasta. What’s more terrifying than having a supposedly trustworthy organization ( or individual) turn malevolent on you? This pasta had a real-world feel to it, especially nowadays with governments, institutions, religions and corporations doing everything they can to fuck people over for their own greed and agendas.

    The narrator’s gullibility was a little far-fetched, though. An elderly widow would have been a more realistic protagonist, considering they’re more likely to be targeted by unscrupulous people because of their frailty and naïveté.

  9. I liked this. Simple but effective. The lack of monsters or overtly evil characters gave it a bit of a personal feel, for me. One of those fucked up things that could actually happen in real life. I thought it would have been even more effective if vicki werwnt so insistent. The part about vicki maybe calling from his moms number shoulda been left out in my opinion. I guess the title refers to maybe the protagonists aquiescence and polite behavior towards vicki. Personally I would have told her to fuck off and if she wants my blood she can come get it herself. Hmmmm…..presents interesting sequel possibilities…

  10. Honestly, this was creepy as heck. Especially because I get a lot of spam calls (or used to). So it hits a little close to home. haha.

    Very very good. NINE.

  11. I’m confused. The pasta itself is really good but I’m still confused as to what was happening and why it was happening.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top